ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone see anything better than 15-12 regular season?

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
I'm looking at the schedule and I see roughly 8 wins left.

Is this team going to get front row tickets to watch NCAA games in their own gym or are they going to get better and get to 17 or 18 wins to get in tourney?

Is this team going to get front row tickets to watch NCAA games in their own gym or are they going to get better and get to 17 or 18 wins to get in tourney?

Reality is, 15-12 in the B10 gives you another 8 Q1-Q2 wins on top of the 4 you already have. That’s and NCAAT team right there.

Last edited:

I’m wondering how we are going to schedule our NIT games around the big boy tourney that will be happening on our home court?
Maybe IU can play in the Bloomington South gym?

Reactions: Hoosierific

Not saying I’d be doing cart wheels over 15-12. But 10-10 in this years Big Ten, means we’d likely have 6-7 quality wins. And no bad losses. That’d be more quality wins than pretty much any ACC, SEC, Big East, or PAC12 team would likely have. And it’d safely get us in the tourney I’m sure.

17-18 wins means 12 or so B10 wins. That’d likely earn us a top 6 NCAA seed.

To answer your question...yes, I can see that happening. Either one of those scenarios. I could also see us only win 4-5 more conference games.

To get there IU needs 50:50 vs Purdue, Rutgers, and maybe MSU, plus avenging the NW loss on the road and no slip ups vs Nebraska.

Reactions: SRIV94
100% is. It was last year. And it’d be an even stronger resume this year.

Doesn’t mean its worth celebrating. But if we end at 15-12. We’re in and not even a bubble team probably.
I amended my post a bit, but I’m not sure that gets us in. If it does, it says more about the lowered expectations of the program than it does about any achievement of making the tournament.

Reactions: Hoosierific
I amended my post a bit, but I’m not sure that gets us in. If it does, it says more about the lowered expectations of the program than it does about any achievement of making the tournament.

Huh? Our reaction to it would determine that, yes. But getting in or not is entirely dependent on our play on the court and the resume.

10-10 should never elicit a big celebration at Indiana. But if it’s followed by a decent NCAA showing, it’d be absurd to not see it as progress. Good enough? Probably not for me. But as you’ve said many times, it likely won’t matter. He’ll be here next year no matter what.

So you’d rather miss the tournament than make it? I never said anything about going 15-12 as being acceptable or unacceptable, simply stating the reality is that 15-12 gets IU in the tournament.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I think 15-12 is about right, although that may be optimistic. I don't think that's an NCAA tourney team, and if some reason it is, in my mind that's still no reason to celebrate, it will simply mean a tourney appearance and then likely lose the first game

So you’d rather miss the tournament than make it? I never said anything about going 15-12 as being acceptable or unacceptable, simply stating the reality is that 15-12 gets IU in the tournament.

As of today, my guess would be...

13-14...bubble, probably not in
14-13...bubble, likely in
15-12...safely in, 7-10 seed
16-11...6-9 seed
17-10...5-8 seed

This isn’t a normal year. There were 4-6 teams in football bowl games. There are no Ivy League teams. There will be other Covid issues. A Big Ten team with an overall losing record could very well get an at large bid this year.

Reactions: snarlcakes
As of today, my guess would be...

13-14...bubble, probably not in
14-13...bubble, likely in
15-12...safely in, 7-10 seed
16-11...6-9 seed
17-10...5-8 seed

This isn’t a normal year. There were 4-6 teams in football bowl games. There are no Ivy League teams. There will be other Covid issues. A Big Ten team with an overall losing record could very well get an at large bid this year.

Mid-major’s are going to get the short end of the stick this year. Without a full non-conference slate, wins against the P5 conferences were at a premium.

Depending how we get there. I'm not sure it's that simple to say 15-12 gets us in. It'll depend on who we beat to get there, and if we stumble in a game that we really shouldn't (hello, NEB).

And remember, we gotta add at least one BTT game to the final record, so 15-12 isn't going to be it. 15-13 might not be good enough, while 16-13 would equate to 15-12 (meaning 1-1 in Chicago or wherever we end up playing the thing).

Depending how we get there. I'm not sure it's that simple to say 15-12 gets us in. It'll depend on who we beat to get there, and if we stumble in a game that we really shouldn't (hello, NEB).

And remember, we gotta add at least one BTT game to the final record, so 15-12 isn't going to be it.

that’s assuming we have a Big Ten tourney, which I wouldn’t assume at this point.

And remember, we gotta add at least one BTT game to the final record, so 15-12 isn't going to be it. 15-13 might not be good enough, while 16-13 would equate to 15-12 (meaning 1-1 in Chicago or wherever we end up playing the thing).

Nebraska is the only risk at a non Q1-Q2 loss from here on out. That’s how strong the B10 is this year.

The only argument against that is that would imply 1 more win against a very highly rated team. And I’m not sure there’s a single “bad loss” in the B10 this year. Not sure of Nebraska’s NET, but by the end of the year, with how many top 50 NET games they’ll have on their schedule (pretty much all the rest of the conference)...by virtue of that, theirs won’t be all that bad.

And if we don't, likely an NCAAT or NIT follows suit.

I keep hearing predictions (not here) about May Madness. :)

If the B10 (and NCAA) were smart, they’d do away with the conference tourney’s this year. Sending 14 teams to the same city at once sounds like a recipe for disaster. Use the conference tourney week as a built in week for make up games that have been postponed. At the end of the last regular season game, announce the field, send all invited teams to Indy and let them quarantine a week in a bubble setting (similar to the NBA) then start the tournament.

The only argument against that is that would imply 1 more win against a very highly rated team. And I’m not sure there’s a single “bad loss” in the B10 this year. Not sure of Nebraska’s NET, but by the end of the year, with how many top 50 NET games they’ll have on their schedule (pretty much all the rest of the conference)...by virtue of that, theirs won’t be all that bad.

Nebraska is 180 now but do agree that ranking will rise naturally due to their strength of schedule. In the unfortunate event they lose on the road to NEB, the Husker’s would need to end up in the top 150 for it to not be considered a “bad loss”.

Nebraska is 180 now but do agree that ranking will rise naturally due to their strength of schedule. In the unfortunate event they lose on the road to NEB, the Husker’s would need to end up in the top 150 for it to not be considered a “bad loss”.
Actually, 135, but your point is well taken. And they'd have to beat us and a few other teams--just playing them won't rise them up that far. I don't expect us to rise much (if at all) just for taking WIS to 2OT.

IOW, we cannot lose Sunday. If we do, we have bigger problems than whether we finish 15-12.

ETA: That said, while NEB moving up to 135 would be a Q2 result (win or loss), I submit that a big reason that we didn't get the benefit of the doubt two years ago when we bit it to OSU in Chicago was we had losses at NW and RUTG who were both Q2 losses but they weren't good at all. Winning those games would've meant A) we don't play OSU in the 8-9 game, and B) our actual record would've been 19-13, and a NET better than 54, ergo we're not one of the first four out.

Last edited:
If the B10 (and NCAA) were smart, they’d do away with the conference tourney’s this year. Sending 14 teams to the same city at once sounds like a recipe for disaster. Use the conference tourney week as a built in week for make up games that have been postponed. At the end of the last regular season game, announce the field, send all invited teams to Indy and let them quarantine a week in a bubble setting (similar to the NBA) then start the tournament.

Agreed. Tough one though because championship week is a huge moneymaker. And it has such a big overall impact on the at large process as well.

Assuming Covid is still a huge issue in March, what you wrote should absolutely happen. And I could see the Big Ten doing it. Not many others would follow suit though I bet.

Agreed. Tough one though because championship week is a huge moneymaker. And it has such a big overall impact on the at large process as well.

Assuming Covid is still a huge issue in March, what you wrote should absolutely happen. And I could see the Big Ten doing it. Not many others would follow suit though I bet.

It’s typically a money grab for the host city. Without fans, not sure how much it matters.

Actually, 135, but your point is well taken. And they'd have to beat us and a few other teams--just playing them won't rise them up that far. I don't expect us to rise much (if at all) just for taking WIS to 2OT.

IOW, we cannot lose Sunday. If we do, we have bigger problems than whether we finish 15-12.

Lose Sunday (assuming we play), 15-12 is likely out of the question.

Huh? Our reaction to it would determine that, yes. But getting in or not is entirely dependent on our play on the court and the resume.

10-10 should never elicit a big celebration at Indiana. But if it’s followed by a decent NCAA showing, it’d be absurd to not see it as progress. Good enough? Probably not for me. But as you’ve said many times, it likely won’t matter. He’ll be here next year no matter what.
I think 10-10 is the longest of shots, but I’m not sure I see it as much “progress”. I do think it will be Miller’s zenith at IU, and I think he’ll be here at least another year, no matter the results.

Never said I’d rather miss the tournament, I just wouldn’t be satisfied with that, as you would. Just a difference in expectations, as we’ve discussed previously.

I see us with maybe 3 more wins in conference if we catch some breaks along the way.

Then stop watching guy. Maybe 3 wins?

I don’t get it. IU plays arguably their best game of the year (without one of their best players) on the road against the best team in the B10 and suddenly IU isn’t going to win another game this year?

Right now I'm only concerned about the next game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT