ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ready to be a Reds announcer

Yikes. Always really liked Thom. Hopefully there is an explanation for this.
What explanation could there possibly be other than he’s a homophobic prick? No excuse. No justification. Maybe it’s just who I hang around with but I cannot remember the last time I heard someone utter that word in my presence. An broadcaster is arguably as representative of a team as the owner or manager. He’s the voice of the franchise. Or should I say was. He will not be back with the Reds this season, and possibly ever.

His apology was surreal. Catellanos hit a home run in the middle of it and then they replaced Brennamen.

I have listened to Brennamen's announce Reds games most of my life. I just do not know how he can say that isn't who he is. He said it, no one made him. I do not know what would lead someone to say that out of the blue. I feel bad for him, but there is no way he comes back to the Reds. I like redemption, I just do not see how it happens in such a dog eat dog world. A lot of people are waiting for an opportunity like this.

Reactions: brianiu
What explanation could there possibly be other than he’s a homophobic prick? No excuse. No justification. Maybe it’s just who I hang around with but I cannot remember the last time I heard someone utter that word in my presence. An broadcaster is arguably as representative of a team as the owner or manager. He’s the voice of the franchise. Or should I say was. He will not be back with the Reds this season, and possibly ever.

No idea. He certainly didn’t offer one in the video you posted. Not something I would have ever expected from him.

Yikes. Thom....

Marty would sometimes get a little political, but this.

Unsurvivable.

Do you think that was a “mistake”? “Fag” must be part of his vocabulary. Using words like that are not a one-off.
Yep, it was a mistake in that he said it to a hot mic. One does not say that for a first and only time like that.
Yeah, it's like the guy that gets caught drunk driving for the first time. That's the first time he got caught, not the first time he drove drunk.

This has been a bad year for hot mics. One of the best young drivers in NASCAR, Kyle Larson, said the N word durning an Internet racing competition and was fired days later.

Wait, aren't they out of the closet and proud of it now? LGBTQF. They put it all right out there and ram it down our necks every day, and 99.999999% couldn't give a shit less. I didn't think it was a bad thing now? They have freaking parades and flags, how can this be bad if they embrace it... or is it only cool if THEY embrace it?

Wait, aren't they out of the closet and proud of it now? LGBTQF. They put it all right out there and ram it down our necks every day, and 99.999999% couldn't give a shit less. I didn't think it was a bad thing now? They have freaking parades and flags, how can this be bad if they embrace it... or is it only cool if THEY embrace it?

pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

You’re an idiot. And a homophobic jerk to boot.
Embrace your stupidity. You’ve earned it.

Sorry, what? I think your dumbass is showing.

Oh, was this nuance? My bad.

From the CYA department.....

Well, you see boss, on the way to the ballpark I must have seen a million Trump flags and I couldn't get it off my mind. I meant to say flags and got a little distracted with the popcorn guy giving me a bag.

Too bad Marge is gone.
Apologies for the Trump mention, but every thread you know.

Reactions: Bill4411

You must not have many gay friends. LOL. Only half joking, though.

Was certainly a pretty common schoolyard insult when I was a kid, but has obviously gone by the wayside today.

You must not have many gay friends. LOL. Only half joking, though.

Was certainly a pretty common schoolyard insult when I was a kid, but has obviously gone by the wayside today.
Yes, it was used all the time when I was a kid, but I’ve never heard any of my gay friends use the word either.

Yes, it was used all the time when I was a kid, but I’ve never heard any of my gay friends use the word either.

I certainly have.... but the group of gay folks I've spent a lot of time around are my sisters friends.... mostly older (45+ now).... and very blue in their language choices.... particularly when heavy into the booze.. which was pretty much most of the time (as they mostly worked in the restaurant/ bar industry).

Would not expect it at all from my rather upscale and mild mannered gay neighbor friends however.

Reactions: All4You and Noodle
You’re an idiot. And a homophobic jerk to boot.
Embrace your stupidity. You’ve earned it.

He you (and your) pompous prick(s). How can one embrace a lifestyle and publicize/ demand numerous different handles that one is to be refered to and then use that new found pride when someone actually uses one of them. "I'm gay and damn proud of it and I want to be recognized and approved of for it, but GD don't call someone gay in a way that doesn't support my new found pride because it might hurt my little feelings". Piss on you and all of you that drive this crap. Either be proud of what you are and own it, or STFU. PPL like you keep driving a set of double standards that are incapable of being followed and are ruining our existence. Again 99.99999% couldn't give a shit less if someone has altered gender identity and most of those 99.9999% feel sorry for the position that they are in. Until you use your self guilt as a weapon. So again with all due respect, piss the eff off.

I certainly have.... but the group of gay folks I've spent a lot of time around are my sisters friends.... mostly older (45+ now).... and very blue in their language choices.... particularly when heavy into the booze.. which was pretty much most of the time (as they mostly worked in the restaurant/ bar industry).

Would not expect it at all from my rather upscale and mild mannered gay neighbor friends however.
Had dinner the other night in downtown Indy. Spoke about it in another thread. Our waiter, who was outstanding, made several comments regarding his sexuality, mostly in a humorous way. Some of the language was....um, colorful. I, nor any of the other 3 were offended at all. But I can certainly understand some who would have been. It went far beyond f*g.

He you (and your) pompous prick(s). How can one embrace a lifestyle and publicize/ demand numerous different handles that one is to be refered to and then use that new found pride when someone actually uses one of them. "I'm gay and damn proud of it and I want to be recognized and approved of for it, but GD don't call someone gay in a way that doesn't support my new found pride because it might hurt my little feelings". Piss on you and all of you that drive this crap. Either be proud of what you are and own it, or STFU. PPL like you keep driving a set of double standards that are incapable of being followed and are ruining our existence. Again 99.99999% couldn't give a shit less if someone has altered gender identity and most of those 99.9999% feel sorry for the position that they are in. Until you use your self guilt as a weapon. So again with all due respect, piss the eff off.
depositphotos_186844806-stock-photo-blow-kiss-young-caucasian-blonde.jpg

Had dinner the other night in downtown Indy. Spoke about it in another thread. Our waiter, who was outstanding, made several comments regarding his sexuality, mostly in a humorous way. Some of the language was....um, colorful. I, nor any of the other 3 were offended at all. But I can certainly understand some who would have been. It went far beyond f*g.
Why did you delete my post Jim? I guess some people can’t face the truth!

CINCINNATI (FOX19) - The Cincinnati Reds issued a statement late Wednesday following broadcaster Thom Brennaman’s use of a homophobic slur prior a game against the Kansas City Royals:

“The Cincinnati Reds organization is devastated by the horrific, homophobic remark made this evening by broadcaster Thom Brennaman. He was pulled off the air, and effective immediately from doing Reds broadcasts. We will be addressing our broadcasting team in the coming days.

“In no way does this incident represent our players, coaches, organization or our fans. We share our sincerest apologies to the LGBTQ+ community in Cincinnati, Kansas City, all across the country and beyond. The Reds embrace a zero-tolerance policy for bias or discrimination of any kind, and we are truly sorry to anyone who has been offended.”

The remark came as Brennaman was previewing the second game in a double-header.

The word is disparaging and insulting. Simple as that. Unlike fool which describes you perfectly.

Reactions: proper golfer
Have you decided who to vote for in November?

I’ve heard some of my gay friends use the term, both jokingly with one another and maliciously when talking about gays they didn’t like. Much like I’ve heard my black friends use a certain word that starts with n in much the same ways. As I saw Ice Cube explain to Bill Maher, some words belong to certain groups and it’s not ok for others to use those words.

ADVERTISEMENT