ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ready to be a Reds announcer

Ironic since AB fired him. Guess he was already hooked

I don't remember that. I guess I had too many ice cold Buds!!! From what I can find, AB fired him in 1969 when he was with the Cardinals. Apparently there were rumors of an affair with August Busch III's wife (I think?). But Budweiser took over at Wrigley and he did a lot of commercials in the '80s

He really was the best. Day baseball was great. I came home from grade school. Plopped down on the sofa and watched whatever was left of the game. Fun times. He seems totally sloshed in this interview with Bill Murray, but it was before the game, so maybe not.

Last edited:
I don't remember that. I guess I had too many ice cold Buds!!! From what I can find, AB fired him in 1969 when he was with the Cardinals. Apparently there were rumors of an affair with August Busch III's wife (I think?). But Budweiser took over at Wrigley and he did a lot of commercials in the '80s

He really was the best. Day baseball was great. I came home from grade school. Plopped down on the sofa and watched whatever was left of the game. Fun times.

Lol. For sure. No chance he was bangin his wife. He’d be buried somewhere at grant’s farm shortly thereafter.

Reactions: DrHoops
I have not studied the periodic table since last century, but I do not recall a chemical celled Fa, so I am not sure what chemical would violently react with it.
You're slipping - the symbol for Francium used to be Fa but it was changed to Fr back in the 1950s (maybe earlier).

And in case you are ever on Jeopardy, there are two elements named after the country of France: Francium and Gallium. Of course Mendelev tried to name Gallium Ekaaluminium. Alcoa is happy it was changed, as Ekaalcoa sounds pretty lame.

Lol. For sure. No chance he was bangin his wife. He’d be buried somewhere at grant’s farm shortly thereafter.

he was.

i used to know which St Louis hotel they got caught at, but can't remember now.

Harry was a bigger icon in St Louis than he was in Chicago, but some things you don't survive.

You're slipping - the symbol for Francium used to be Fa but it was changed to Fr back in the 1950s (maybe earlier).

And in case you are ever on Jeopardy, there are two elements named after the country of France: Francium and Gallium. Of course Mendelev tried to name Gallium Ekaaluminium. Alcoa is happy it was changed, as Ekaalcoa sounds pretty lame.
This was a pretty high level Nerdpost effort from you. Kudos.

Reactions: RBB89 and Noodle
The transcript of Brennaman giving his on-air apology interrupted halfway through when he stops to call a home run and update the score is just so strange? Surreal? Crazy?:

“I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of. If I have hurt anyone out there, I can’t tell you how much I say, from the bottom of my heart, I am so very, very sorry. I pride myself and think of myself as a man of faith—as here’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, it will be a home run, and so that’ll make it a 4–nothing ballgame—I don’t know if I’m going to be putting on this headset again. I don’t know if it’s going to be for the Reds. I don’t know if it’s going to be for my bosses at Fox. I want to apologize for the people who sign my paycheck. For the Reds, for Fox Sports Ohio, for the people I work with, for anybody that I’ve offended here tonight: I can’t begin to tell you how deeply sorry I am. That is not who I am. It never has been. And I’d like to think maybe I could have some people that, that could back that up. I am very, very sorry, and I beg for your forgiveness.”

You must not have many gay friends. LOL. Only half joking, though.

Was certainly a pretty common schoolyard insult when I was a kid, but has obviously gone by the wayside today.

Rather common insult when I was a middle schooler. The word also meant cigarette. Wonder if that is what he was referring to.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I’ve heard some of my gay friends use the term, both jokingly with one another and maliciously when talking about gays they didn’t like. Much like I’ve heard my black friends use a certain word that starts with n in much the same ways. As I saw Ice Cube explain to Bill Maher, some words belong to certain groups and it’s not ok for others to use those words.

Which in and of itself is a racist concept. The word simply should not be used.

I’ve heard some of my gay friends use the term, both jokingly with one another and maliciously when talking about gays they didn’t like. Much like I’ve heard my black friends use a certain word that starts with n in much the same ways. As I saw Ice Cube explain to Bill Maher, some words belong to certain groups and it’s not ok for others to use those words.
How is that anything except a definition of double standard?

How is that anything except a definition of double standard?

You’re asking the wrong person as I’m neither black nor gay. Someone who fits either description would be the person to ask. I can only relay what I’ve heard. I suggest you watch the clip of Ice Cube educating Bill Maher after Bill Maher jokingly referred to himself as a “house n****r”. Ice Cube gives a crystal clear explanation.

If you go to the comments section of the Cincinnati Enquirer facebook story on this, you'll see that a good number of them most definitely would forgive him.

I can't be sure, but I'd be willing to be a lot of money that some of those same people 'gave up' on the Reds players who knelt or sympathized with the BLM movement.
Conversely, there are a lot of people willing to forgive the George Floyd’s of the world for robbing pregnant women & being habitual criminals that will want to crucify this guy. Different strokes...

Conversely, there are a lot of people willing to forgive the George Floyd’s of the world for robbing pregnant women & being habitual criminals that will want to crucify this guy. Different strokes...
Crucify? Criminals get run through the legal system. Dumbasses get fired. It's all rather proportional.

Reactions: brianiu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT