ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ready to be a Reds announcer

It wasn't a mistake, he said exactly what he meant. He just happened to say it with a hot mic. His apology should have been: "I'm sorry for showing you who I am."
Your attitude is why Trump got elected and will get him reelected

Reactions: ulrey
I don’t get the argument here. Thom did something really stupid. Anyone who didn’t expect the consequence to follow? Really?
I don’t know why it has to turn into a “why can’t I say this word if I can say that one” argument.
If you want to be a professional, act like one.

I’ve heard some of my gay friends use the term, both jokingly with one another and maliciously when talking about gays they didn’t like. Much like I’ve heard my black friends use a certain word that starts with n in much the same ways. As I saw Ice Cube explain to Bill Maher, some words belong to certain groups and it’s not ok for others to use those words.

I don't know about others, for most of my life the various friends I have bust each other's chops. It just is the way it is, we give each other a hard time as an endearment. It is one thing if a friend makes fun of X, it is totally something else if a stranger or an enemy does.

I’m sure both Reds fans will forgive him.
If you go to the comments section of the Cincinnati Enquirer facebook story on this, you'll see that a good number of them most definitely would forgive him.

I can't be sure, but I'd be willing to be a lot of money that some of those same people 'gave up' on the Reds players who knelt or sympathized with the BLM movement.

Reactions: proper golfer
I don't know about others, for most of my life the various friends I have bust each other's chops. It just is the way it is, we give each other a hard time as an endearment. It is one thing if a friend makes fun of X, it is totally something else if a stranger or an enemy does.
And there are things you don’t do on the job. I know all professions are different.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
If you go to the comments section of the Cincinnati Enquirer facebook story on this, you'll see that a good number of them most definitely would forgive him.

I can't be sure, but I'd be willing to be a lot of money that some of those same people 'gave up' on the Reds players who knelt or sympathized with the BLM movement.

One thing about the comments made is how we, and people in other places, have glossed over his apology line about being a "man of faith". What does that have to do with using an offensive term, it seems to me it makes using the term more offensive as a "man of faith" should not have that in their vocabulary.

One thing about the comments made is how we, and people in other places, have glossed over his apology line about being a "man of faith". What does that have to do with using an offensive term, it seems to me it makes using the term more offensive as a "man of faith" should not have that in their vocabulary.
I actually give him credit for his apology. The world needs more of that.
My take is, he wants to fit in with the baseball guys. He got caught trying. The anti-Cosell.

Wait, aren't they out of the closet and proud of it now? LGBTQF. They put it all right out there and ram it down our necks every day, and 99.999999% couldn't give a shit less. I didn't think it was a bad thing now? They have freaking parades and flags, how can this be bad if they embrace it... or is it only cool if THEY embrace it?

So you think Thom used the term out of respect? Or do you just identify with his disrespect?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve used my share of gay slurs as a form of “busting chops”. I know and understand what you’re saying.

if-into-the-comments-section-you-go-only-pain-will-you-find.jpg

Pretty bad, especially with how he said it, getting caught on a hot mic, and the apology.

I'm not a "cancel people and don't forgive them" person (although I'm not going to tell people he really offended that they should forgive him) but he's got a lot of work to do to show that he doesn't disdain LBGTQ+ people and has changed.

So you think Thom used the term out of respect? Or do you just identify with his disrespect?

No it is obviously a negative comment, I don't think any thing other. In the grand scheme of things, this can be stacked up with a million other small slams. The world is never ever going to be the perfect little PC bubble that it is trying to be turned into. How's that working for us? People need to get some thicker skin and learn to brush shit off. Him or anyone, using this little off the cuff slam (and a million others) is stupid, but it doesn't alter anything other than "feelings". Crap like this is making it impossible for EVERYONE to ever speak without having some gaff at some point.
Again, no he shouldn't have said it but if "we" were 1) a little stronger 2) weren't looking for the smallest things to create the largest outrage and 3) were confident enough about ourselves, nothing like this "little" crap would cause 1 second of though. We would just move on. It's not like he was gathering a march to abuse people.

No it is obviously a negative comment, I don't think any thing other. In the grand scheme of things, this can be stacked up with a million other small slams. The world is never ever going to be the perfect little PC bubble that it is trying to be turned into. How's that working for us? People need to get some thicker skin and learn to brush shit off. Him or anyone, using this little off the cuff slam (and a million others) is stupid, but it doesn't alter anything other than "feelings". Crap like this is making it impossible for EVERYONE to ever speak without having some gaff at some point.
Again, no he shouldn't have said it but if "we" were 1) a little stronger 2) weren't looking for the smallest things to create the largest outrage and 3) were confident enough about ourselves, nothing like this "little" crap would cause 1 second of though. We would just move on. It's not like he was gathering a march to abuse people.
It would have been great if that was what you had written from the start. I agree.

But you have to admit, as a person who works in a profession where the spoken word delivered to millions of people is the primary tool, a lapse of judgement like this is pretty major.
It's not unlike if a rocket scientist misplaces a decimal point, which could cause the loss of life and/or billions of dollars. Or a brain surgeon who develops a case of the yips.

Sigh.

My comedic point was the word "both"

The Reds are baseball fodder, irrelevant to all things except, apparently, the use of offensive labels.

I'm not trying to turn it into something it was not, but trying to extrapolate support for a locally-famous baseball radio announcer (he's no Jack Buck) into a discussion about support for/opposition to BLM is a stretch.

My sympathies lie with all non-violent groups and persons opposing racism in all of its forms. Labels matter not. No one has a monopoly on peaceful change.

"But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell ya is brother you'll have to wait."

I hear ya. But all this cuts both ways. I'll admit there are jokes I've told or things I've done in the past that I'm glad now someone pointed out to me then it was offensive. It's helped me grow.

People do go overboard, though. You're right on that point. Culture change can be messy and sometimes unfortunate.

I hear ya. But all this cuts both ways. I'll admit there are jokes I've told or things I've done in the past that I'm glad now someone pointed out to me then it was offensive. It's helped me grow.

People do go overboard, though. You're right on that point. Culture change can be messy and sometimes unfortunate.

Here's a question. ... I agree with you about the past jokes in bad taste (even though that wasn't the climate at that time, the climate changed afterwards). He used an unfavorable word, in what was meant to be a private conversation, probably a boyish (men's sports atmosphere setting) setting that was accidentally recorded and intentionally used as gasoline on a bush fire. He wasn't giving a speech to a crowd or group. Is there no availability for the 1) expectation of privacy any longer 2) is there a total zero tolerance for any mention of specific words?

Seems like a very large set of expectation shoes that are impossible to ever be filled, unless the goal is building total fear in EVERYONE for EVERYTHING.

Here's a question. ... I agree with you about the past jokes in bad taste (even though that wasn't the climate at that time, the climate changed afterwards). He used an unfavorable word, in what was meant to be a private conversation, probably a boyish (men's sports atmosphere setting) setting that was accidentally recorded and intentionally used as gasoline on a bush fire. He wasn't giving a speech to a crowd or group. Is there no availability for the 1) expectation of privacy any longer 2) is there a total zero tolerance for any mention of specific words?

Seems like a very large set of expectation shoes that are impossible to ever be filled, unless the goal is building total fear in EVERYONE for EVERYTHING.

People lose their jobs for their sexual orientation or gender identity every day. When you summon the tiniest bit of outrage for that, maybe we'll take you seriously on the outrage over a well-off dude losing his job over something he absolutely knows he shouldn't say at work.

He used an unfavorable word, in what was meant to be a private conversation, probably a boyish (men's sports atmosphere setting) setting that was accidentally recorded and intentionally used as gasoline on a bush fire.
But that's not what happened. His comment wasn't recorded, it was broadcast. It wasn't a private conversation. It was him doing his job. He just mistakenly didn't realize the mic was already hot.

Who knows why he said it? I don't, and I wouldn't pretend to. But this wasn't a case of someone digging something up and trying to get him. This was him, making a huge unprofessional mistake, while he was at work.

Who knows why he said it? I don't, and I wouldn't pretend to. But this wasn't a case of someone digging something up and trying to get him. This was him, making a huge unprofessional mistake, while he was at work.
Getting drunk at home on Saturday night is one thing. Getting drunk at work is something else altogether.

People lose their jobs for their sexual orientation or gender identity every day. When you summon the tiniest bit of outrage for that, maybe we'll take you seriously on the outrage over a well-off dude losing his job over something he absolutely knows he shouldn't say at work.

Could not give two shits if he lost his job, HE is not the focus. The fact that this builds an outrage in this setting is infantile emotion driven outrage. Oh and thank's I didn't know you are qualified to judge what I think about people loosing their jobs about orientation. Possibly you could exhibit one being caught on a hot mic. I do not personally know of any.

But that's not what happened. His comment wasn't recorded, it was broadcast. It wasn't a private conversation. It was him doing his job. He just mistakenly didn't realize the mic was already hot.

Reactions: RBB89 and Bill4411
http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/mlb/thom-brennaman-dropped-a-homophobic-slur.html

May have been a reference to Blazing Saddles. The Kansas City F*****s. Been years since I’ve seen the movie so I don’t know.

Note, I don’t offer this as defense.

***Edited to note that the line in the movie isn’t very close to what Thom said.
If it wasn’t close to the line in the movie, and you weren’t offering it as a defense, then why did you post this? We already have another thread about movies and TV.

That's what my aunt always called cigarettes
Capitols? That’s an odd term to use for cigarettes.
But who the hell cares what your aunt called cigarettes? Did she have gout? Did she like cheese? What kinds? That information is about as interesting and relevant as what she called cigarettes.

If it wasn’t close to the line in the movie, and you weren’t offering it as a defense, then why did you post this? We already have another thread about movies and TV.

Did it look like a movie review to you??

Note the time difference between the initial post and the edit. I didn’t know the exact quote when I posted the link.

Did it look like a movie review to you??

Note the time difference between the initial post and the edit. I didn’t know the exact quote when I posted the link.
Maybe then you should have just deleted it instead of editing it. Or, better yet, don’t post stuff you read on Twitter.

Maybe then you should have just deleted it instead of editing it. Or, better yet, don’t post stuff you read on Twitter.

You posted a Twitter link on the first page of this very thread. Awful Announcing isn’t Twitter. I’m saddened you didn’t find my post enlightening but it’s certainly more relevant to the topic than the argument you’re currently engaging in

You posted a Twitter link on the first page of this very thread. Awful Announcing isn’t Twitter. I’m saddened you didn’t find my post enlightening but it’s certainly more relevant to the topic than the argument you’re currently engaging in
Yes, I posted a link to Brennamen’s actual apology. You repeat some irrelevant tripe that attempts to portray a homophobic slur as an homage to an old movie. And I’m supposed to find that enlightening? That may not be what you meant but it sure came across that way.

Yes, I posted a link to Brennamen’s actual apology. You repeat some irrelevant tripe that attempts to portray a homophobic slur as an homage to an old movie. And I’m supposed to find that enlightening? That may not be what you meant but it sure came across that way.

I posted a link to an article I found pertinent to this thread. I read the quote from the movie later in the morning and updated the post with my own take. I never tried to portray a homophobic slur as an homage to the movie as you erroneously claim. I never said you should find it enlightening. Not sure what your problem is here. Seems like a huge overreaction to me

Reactions: Noodle
Capitols? That’s an odd term to use for cigarettes.
But who the hell cares what your aunt called cigarettes? Did she have gout? Did she like cheese? What kinds? That information is about as interesting and relevant as what she called cigarettes.
I deleted the irrelevant post. I hope all future posts at the cooler stay on topic.

I deleted the irrelevant post. I hope all future posts at the cooler stay on topic.
My apologies. In hindsight my post was unwarranted. I don't think you were trying to deflect criticism of Brennamen's remarks.
And don't get your hopes up on that aspiration of posts staying on topic. Hell, I struggle with that one - not to mention civility from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT