ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know where any of the old timers are these days?

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
Etcetnfibre, RMKFAN1, UKSUX and others?

This place/Peegs, even StarNews had so many quality posters with high BB IQs and writing skills. The boards were so much better than the trollsewer we have today. Even the PU posters were far better quality Boilers33 and others.

Many were chased away by our current thread trashing Ubertroll. Hope most are healthy and ready for a new start to IU basketball and Football.

me thinks you have a rose tinted view with how things were in the past.

that said, it is sad to see good posters disappear, and i always hope something bad didn't happen.

that said, The Stones, The Who, Gilmore and Waters, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, U2, Knopfler, or even Pearl Jam, My Chemical Romance, and Green Day, won't be around forever.

get while the gettin's good.

me thinks you have a rose tinted view with how things were in the past.

that said, it is sad to see good posters disappear, and i always hope something bad didn't happen.

that said, The Stones, The Who, Gilmore and Waters, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, U2, Knopfler, or even Pearl Jam, My Chemical Romance, and Green Day, won't be around forever.

get while the gettin's good.
These boards used to be good places to share, learn, and just chat about IU sports. The FB is a bit better becuse the mods there have higher expectations.

This place/Peegs, even StarNews had so many quality posters with high BB IQs and writing skills. The boards were so much better than the trollsewer we have today. Even the PU posters were far better quality Boilers33 and others.

Many were chased away by our current thread trashing Ubertroll. Hope most are healthy and ready for a new start to IU basketball and Football.

I miss thread view. So much better, IMHO. You could pick and choose which replies to click on and not have to wade through all the crap.

Too often threads become a back and forth b/t two posters. Those threads suck.

Certainly miss having the Knowledge of someone like Jack here.

One final thought is where are ANY of the longtime posters? In a couple of other threads we have someone posting “Ordy” over and over and over again. Yet, that person has a username only a few years old. Makes no sense. Unless there are a bunch of people that have just changed their handles over the years.

I miss thread view. So much better, IMHO. You could pick and choose which replies to click on and not have to wade through all the crap.

One final thought is where are ANY of the longtime posters? In a couple of other threads we have someone posting “Ordy” over and over and over again. Yet, that person has a username only a few years old. Makes no sense. Unless there are a bunch of people that have just changed their handles over the years.
I think it’s highly, highly likely that certain posters have either created boogeymen upon which to dump all of their vitriol, whether the bogey men exist or not. Alternatively, a few of these bad guy posters are accounts held by existing board members. Had a mod tell me that the one name in particular is used by another prominent poster as a foil, all to stir things up. It’s like the bad guy in wrestling. It’s all a put on.Seems like a lot of work for nothing, but there are some egos here who really are focused on standing out, no matter what. Probably not a coincidence that the posters who whine and complain the most are always the ones who contribute the least, all while running around threatening to ignore everyone. Lots of drama, which I think they kinda like.

I joined this forum in 2001. I go back to the Indy Star days. Although there were exceptions, it seemed posts were more concerned about hoops instead of an exchange of insults. 20 pages for Lander or Ivey? It seems even posts that are interesting devolve into online bitch slapping.

I miss the thread view also, but the ignore button is cool. I just checked and I have 455 messages in 20 years- although this is the first tab on my browser homepage. I'm thinking there may be a more productive use of the countless hours people spend exchanging moronic insults. Just saying. If that pisses you off and you want to leave a nasty reply, I hope it makes you feel better. I will not reply. Here's to #456

Last edited:

No kidding, you could see the stretch to the right that are signature of some and avoid. Yes, i know I gave a couple trolls too much audience...but I repented :)

No kidding, you could see the stretch to the right that are signature of some and avoid. Yes, i know I gave a couple trolls too much audience...but I repented :)

I loved that you could add a new subject header to a reply. Thus: See the subject header of the reply and poster and click (if you desire).

There’s a lot to like about the current format, especially as it’s a mobile world now, but..,,,..

I think it’s highly, highly likely that certain posters have either created boogeymen upon which to dump all of their vitriol, whether the bogey men exist or not. Alternatively, a few of these bad guy posters are accounts held by existing board members. Had a mod tell me that the one name in particular is used by another prominent poster as a foil, all to stir things up. It’s like the bad guy in wrestling. It’s all a put on.Seems like a lot of work for nothing, but there are some egos here who really are focused on standing out, no matter what. Probably not a coincidence that the posters who whine and complain the most are always the ones who contribute the least, all while running around threatening to ignore everyone. Lots of drama, which I think they kinda like.
One thing you can say about me is this is all I got. I am not even sure how to sign up for this site since I did it so long ago. There was a guy on the Cooler named 1John and I liked him a lot and miss him. I was very touched when the OTF was named after Andy. I even mentioned it from the pulpit.

Not sure, I'm a real old timer from star board. Etec and maybe HistoryGrammerMan probably stayed with Peegs, just a guess. This new board is so much better, I wouldn't even join there to attempt to find them.

It brings back laughs thinking about it though. I was banned during MD era and Peegs mods were so ridiculous, took me the transition to this to get back on.

F Peegs, and effty, FFF, bet I won't get banned

Last edited:
Look at the posters that criticize every other poster. There are several on this site that post continually. The hate here is very intense and frequent. I see very little real basketball content. As someone mentioned earlier it becomes a tit for tat argument between 2-3 people and digresses severely. In short the negativity can be really really bad on this site. It is why I minimize my remarks, I just don't want to get involved in such immature debate.

Not sure, I'm a real old timer from star board. Etec and maybe HistoryGrammerMan probably stayed with Peegs, just a guess. This new board is so much better, I wouldn't even join there to attempt to find them.

It brings back laughs thinking about it though. I was banned during MD era and Peegs mods were so ridiculous, took me the transition to this to get back on.

The mods there were present unlike here. I managed to hang out the entire Peegs era without as much as a warning.. Switched screen names to this one mid way through after my namesake Uncle passed.

Either Peegs or StarNews had a "trash talk forum: where those inclined could go and trade mindless insults. Can't recall which did this, but it made sense to avoid what we see here. Remember Amen Corner? Only PU poster that I laughed at his quality trash talk.

Reactions: drmd and Lying Liar

They probably got tired of trying to educate you when you’re unwilling to learn. The delusional cults for Crean and Archie really turned off knowledgeable fans.

I have been on here since Knight under a different user name. Then someone registered a very similar name and kinda trashed the name so I lurked for years.

WoodyIU1
Blackstone
Terry Blazer or something like that.
Soo many more I can’t remember.
I started following the “PeegsIUHooprecruitingnews” summer 1999. Jared Jeffries commit day as well “It’s official, Jeffries is a Hoosier!”. Just a few memories.

They probably got tired of trying to educate you when you’re unwilling to learn. The delusional cults for Crean and Archie really turned off knowledgeable fans.
Thanks for making my point about the trolls. You are about #3 on that list.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Radio Zero

Yeah, I got banned from Peegs too, but made it back on at some point. I got banned from the Star Forums many times, I started posting there in 96/97ish? LarTay (RIP) was always good for a laugh. Cooker (RIP) is no longer with us either.

Yeah, I got banned from Peegs too, but made it back on at some point. I got banned from the Star Forums many times, I started posting there in 96/97ish? LarTay (RIP) was always good for a laugh. Cooker (RIP) is no longer with us either.
I believe History Man died as well. Heller died too.

WoodyIU1
Blackstone
Terry Blazer or something like that.
Soo many more I can’t remember.
I started following the “PeegsIUHooprecruitingnews” summer 1999. Jared Jeffries commit day as well “It’s official, Jeffries is a Hoosier!”. Just a few memories.
That Jeffries commitment saga was what drew me in to the old Peegs site as well. Like the poster above mentioned, we only tend to remember the good stuff, because there was some bad crap to wade through every now and then, but nothing like these days. And, there was way, way more actual basketball content, breakdowns, and meaningful discussion. Heck, even the opposing fan base posters were mostly solid and welcome. I'm hoping the general optimism around the program, and the results that I expect to be more positive this coming season, will bring a little more sanity back. But, I'm not holding my breath.

That Jeffries commitment saga was what drew me in to the old Peegs site as well. Like the poster above mentioned, we only tend to remember the good stuff, because there was some bad crap to wade through every now and then, but nothing like these days. And, there was way, way more actual basketball content, breakdowns, and meaningful discussion. Heck, even the opposing fan base posters were mostly solid and welcome. I'm hoping the general optimism around the program, and the results that I expect to be more positive this coming season, will bring a little more sanity back. But, I'm not holding my breath.
Yep. Peegs had built the second highest traffic rivals ncaa hoops board just behind Rupps rafters, and ahead of JayhawkSlant and Tarheel Times. I remember when we were “recruiting” kids names like Dennis Coutee, Kyle Hankins? Some german kid name Dirk Nowitzi but Georgia was also involved but skipped college alltogether.

Reactions: ulrey
Tell me if I am misremembering. But did the old Peegs site allow you to come on as a guest without signing up? I think I did it that way before committing. It was around 99 or so when I joined.

The mods there were present unlike here. I managed to hang out the entire Peegs era without as much as a warning.. Switched screen names to this one mid way through after my namesake Uncle passed.

Either Peegs or StarNews had a "trash talk forum: where those inclined could go and trade mindless insults. Can't recall which did this, but it made sense to avoid what we see here. Remember Amen Corner? Only PU poster that I laughed at his quality trash talk.
I don't, there's those two I mentioned and I definitely remember BayrnFan (sp?). I was CandyStripes, then I got banned for saying something to the effect that Crean was not God. Somebody else then stole my handle and it drove me nuts knowing some idiot was posing as me.

Hey n00b, the people we are referring to left long before Crean.
That’s not true. I’ve been a member since the Inside Indiana magazines. Still have a pile of them in my basement. This group used to have one hell of a discussion. It got divided when certain fans put Tom Crean ahead of the program. It tore everyone apart. I really wish things could get back like the days of old.

Like the poster above mentioned, we only tend to remember the good stuff, because there was some bad crap to wade through every now and then, but nothing like these days. And, there was way, way more actual basketball content, breakdowns, and meaningful discussion. Heck, even the opposing fan base posters were mostly solid and welcome.
Early adopters of computers and the Internet were a different breed than the general public. It's a different community now that absolutely anyone with a pulse can sign up and post with a few clicks.

That’s not true. I’ve been a member since the Inside Indiana magazines. Still have a pile of them in my basement. This group used to have one hell of a discussion. It got divided when certain fans put Tom Crean ahead of the program. It tore everyone apart. I really wish things could get back like the days of old.

Crean did create some division, but it all went to pot after RMK was fired. Those first few years were brutal on the board. The Davis hate was thick. Ugly.

Crean did create some division, but it all went to pot after RMK was fired. Those first few years were brutal on the board. The Davis hate was thick. Ugly.
Hate for both of them was thick, we fired a NCAA finals arrival with a left over team,, then proceeded to lose with lack of effort with Crean. MD at least demanded effort That's not IU, but that's what Crean and Archie brought. God damn, as much as hated MD offense just jacking 3's, I really wonder if he were given more time, might have been better.

Early adopters of computers and the Internet were a different breed than the general public. It's a different community now that absolutely anyone with a pulse can sign up and post with a few clicks.

Before the average Joe became comfortable on the internet, there was much more high level discussion. I was shocked at the time and effort people put into their posts. I enjoyed reading IUterry the most.

True. It got better with Sampson and the early Crean years. Then most of the fan base just went absolutely bonkers in defense of Crean. Reasonable fans just lost their minds for a coach they’d never even met. It got really weird and went on and on and on. Never been the same since.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Hate for both of them was thick, we fired a NCAA finals arrival with a left over team,, then proceeded to lose with lack of effort with Crean. MD at least demanded effort That's not IU, but that's what Crean and Archie brought. God damn, as much as hated MD offense just jacking 3's, I really wonder if he were given more time, might have been better.

MD put all his $ on Bracey and his 28% 3 pt stroke.

I actually don't know what his 3 pt % was; I just know I watched him jack up and miss a lot of shots from everywhere.

One old-timer can be found at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington D.C.

True. It got better with Sampson and the early Crean years. Then most of the fan base just went absolutely bonkers in defense of Crean. Reasonable fans just lost their minds for a coach they’d never even met. It got really weird and went on and on and on. Never been the same since.
you tell everyone and constantly bring it up. Nobody thought Crean was some sort of the next great coach. It was more like he was better than adequate for the job. Stop beating that tired ass drum. It gets annoying and looks more like a troll job.

Reactions: MG80
MD put all his $ on Bracey and his 28% 3 pt stroke.

I actually don't know what his 3 pt % was; I just know I watched him jack up and miss a lot of shots from everywhere.
I'd say that's a good guess, and for all of that misery though we were still ranked, I seriously wish he could have done a bit better and we then avoid the 20 yr Samson/Crean/Archie debacle

Before the average Joe became comfortable on the internet, there was much more high level discussion. I was shocked at the time and effort people put into their posts. I enjoyed reading IUterry the most.
IUterry is a member of Peegs Prem. He posts once or twice/month...

Reactions: JBT Assoc
ADVERTISEMENT