ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know the Devane family in Bloomington?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Garrick owns a BBQ catering business,and I know other family members as well.But what makes this story notable is who their Grandmother was,and what I discovered while reading the UNC off topic board this evening...

One of the guys on that board is the editor of a small town (NC) newspaper,and they put together a story on the oldest surviving offspring of a Civil War veteran.Interesting read as their Grandmother's father was originally a slave who ended up fighting in the Union Army.She just died,and her obituary specifically mentions her 80+ yr old son (she was 111) who lives in Bloomington,as well as her grandsons...

http://www.robesonian.com/news/102983/devane-daughter-of-slave-civil-war-soldier-dies-at-111

Last edited:
The link worked for me. I do not know them, interesting how far back that six degrees can go.
The name Gene Devane rings all kinds of bells for me, but I can't place it. A pilot? Is it possible he flew for the IU Foundation? Or Cooks?

The name Gene Devane rings all kinds of bells for me, but I can't place it. A pilot? Is it possible he flew for the IU Foundation? Or Cooks?
Looks like he's a podiatrist. Flying must be an avocation.

But what makes this story notable is who their Grandmother was,and what I discovered while reading the UNC off topic board this evening...

One of the guys on that board is the editor of a small town (NC) newspaper,and they put together a story on the oldest surviving offspring of a Civil War veteran.Interesting read as their Grandmother's father was originally a slave who ended up fighting in the Union Army.She just died,and her obituary specifically mentions her 80+ yr old son (she was 111) who lives in Bloomington,as well as her grandsons...

http://www.robesonian.com/news/102983/devane-daughter-of-slave-civil-war-soldier-dies-at-111
Interesting, I had no idea. I grew up in the same neighborhood and played sports with Garrick growing up.

Glenn used to play as much as his abilities allowed him. Good people.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nice story!

.But what makes this story notable is who their Grandmother was,and what I discovered while reading the UNC off topic board this evening...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, isn't it a breach of ethics for you to post about Glenn publicly?

I’m wondering about HIPAA myself with this one. Unless he has permission. I’d never post the name of anyone I took care of in a group home and I haven’t done that work in nearly 20 years.

I don't work with him I just know him.Didn't think about it being any violation,was just trying to relate a story I thought was cool.I've edited my original post,but unfortunately I can't edit the posts of folks who quoted me.Hopefully those posters will edit themselves.

Reactions: Lucy01
I don't work with him I just know him.Didn't think about it being any violation,was just trying to relate a story I thought was cool.I've edited my original post,but unfortunately I can't edit the posts of folks who quoted me.Hopefully those posters will edit themselves.

If you work for a company/organization that provides services to someone, you’re just as obligated as the people who provide direct care.

ADVERTISEMENT