ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever dealt with a Bunion? This MF is painful.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
I went to podiatrist pre-Covid and he said I would probably need surgery. After he told me full recovery is close to 6 months I opted to get the sole inserts.

I’m not sure they’re working very well. I went camping this weekend and wore sandles instead of my proper shoes. This bunion is punishing me now.

I really don’t want the surgery as I don’t think I’ll be able to hit the gym for a few months.

Anyone have an experience to share?

Went back to the podiatrist. She thinks I’m actually having an attack of gout. Well this is new. Sucks getting older. Hurts to have anything touching my foot.

Went back to the podiatrist. She thinks I’m actually having an attack of gout. Well this is new. Sucks getting older. Hurts to have anything touching my foot.

First time I had a gout attack, if you’d have handed me a bone saw I would’ve cut my foot off. It was that painful. Have they done blood tests for uric acid levels? I’ve been able to control mine over the years with indomethacin (an anti inflammatory drug) whenever I feel an issue coming on. There are drugs you can take to control the uric acid levels, but you can’t take them during an attack. I found that drug to cause me to be a slug (granted I don’t need much help with that!), so I’ve just stuck with taking indomethacin as needed. You’ll find lists of foods a mile long that can be gout triggers. I’ve never been able to isolate any food that sets it off. As I’ve lost weight and gotten back into cycling, the episodes have lessened over the years.

Warning, I can guarantee you that for the rest of your life, if you drop anything heavy it will land on the affected toe!

First time I had a gout attack, if you’d have handed me a bone saw I would’ve cut my foot off. It was that painful. Have they done blood tests for uric acid levels? I’ve been able to control mine over the years with indomethacin (an anti inflammatory drug) whenever I feel an issue coming on. There are drugs you can take to control the uric acid levels, but you can’t take them during an attack. I found that drug to cause me to be a slug (granted I don’t need much help with that!), so I’ve just stuck with taking indomethacin as needed. You’ll find lists of foods a mile long that can be gout triggers. I’ve never been able to isolate any food that sets it off. As I’ve lost weight and gotten back into cycling, the episodes have lessened over the years.

Warning, I can guarantee you that for the rest of your life, if you drop anything heavy it will land on the affected toe!
Doctor sent me to get blood drawn today but she’s pretty sure I have it. Called my mom who I have to thank for my bunion genetics and she also has gaut.

Ain’t no way I’m giving up all those foods so I’ll just have to figure out what
I’ve eaten when I Get the attacks.

I remember about 15 years ago, my wife had her first Gout attack. She could hardly put any weight on her foot and walk effectively. Of course this showed up on a Saturday so it was off to an outpatient Emergency Clinic. Fortunately with medication and rest, it went away, However she still has a Medication she takes for it to hopefully prevent attacks. We discovered that some Doctors believe that there are foods that can trigger Gout Attacks and some that don't buy into that theory at all.

The one foot problem I had that surprised me was plantar fascheitis. I was surprised at how painful it could be, and medications don't seem to provide relief. The best relief I could get was filling an Ice Bag or Zip Loc Bag with ice and putting it on a towel on the floor, and rolling my foot over it for an Hour and a half. I was also surprised to discover how many people I know had this at one time or another.

I remember about 15 years ago, my wife had her first Gout attack. She could hardly put any weight on her foot and walk effectively. Of course this showed up on a Saturday so it was off to an outpatient Emergency Clinic. Fortunately with medication and rest, it went away, However she still has a Medication she takes for it to hopefully prevent attacks. We discovered that some Doctors believe that there are foods that can trigger Gout Attacks and some that don't buy into that theory at all.

The one foot problem I had that surprised me was plantar fascheitis. I was surprised at how painful it could be, and medications don't seem to provide relief. The best relief I could get was filling an Ice Bag or Zip Loc Bag with ice and putting it on a towel on the floor, and rolling my foot over it for an Hour and a half. I was also surprised to discover how many people I know had this at one time or another.
I had it a while back I had three cortisone shots in the heel over a period of about six weeks or so. Also, insoles for PF helped me greatly

I had a major plantar fasciitis problem for months. I tried over the counter inserts and finally went to a podiatrist who had a custom one done. No relief. Finally I bought this for $6 on Amazon and it took care of the problem after a couple of weeks of using it:

Professional Massage Balls Foot Ball Foot Massager Spiky Roller for Deep Tissue Trigger Point Plantar Fasciitis Reflexology Stress Therapy Myofascial Release(Blue)
611iITPD7zL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Naughty-Nurse-Costume-Women-Doctor-Cosplay-Party-Costume-Sexy-Hospital-Hottie-White-Nurse-Costume.jpg

I think I have seen that Blue relief device that looks a demented version of a Russian Sputnick. One of my friends had a treatment that was similar to mine, but she used a large plastic soda bottle filled with ice and rolled her foot over it.

Reactions: largemouth
FWIW, I've experienced gout in my right big toe, major knuckle. I hurts off and on, and it's enlarged. But I have no idea what may or may not trigger it. It just randomly happens and I bitch and cuss when it does, but that's as far dialed into it as I am.

I had a major plantar fasciitis problem for months. I tried over the counter inserts and finally went to a podiatrist who had a custom one done. No relief. Finally I bought this for $6 on Amazon and it took care of the problem after a couple of weeks of using it:

Professional Massage Balls Foot Ball Foot Massager Spiky Roller for Deep Tissue Trigger Point Plantar Fasciitis Reflexology Stress Therapy Myofascial Release(Blue)
611iITPD7zL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Naughty-Nurse-Costume-Women-Doctor-Cosplay-Party-Costume-Sexy-Hospital-Hottie-White-Nurse-Costume.jpg

I used a Titleist.

FWIW, I've experienced gout in my right big toe, major knuckle. I hurts off and on, and it's enlarged. But I have no idea what may or may not trigger it. It just randomly happens and I bitch and cuss when it does, but that's as far dialed into it as I am.
It's been a few years back, but I came down with something in my big toe that hurt like a bitch. It felt broken. Swollen and tender and hurt with any movement. I toughed it out and it finally cured itself after three or four days. Wife guessed gout. No idea if that's what it was or not.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I went to podiatrist pre-Covid and he said I would probably need surgery. After he told me full recovery is close to 6 months I opted to get the sole inserts.

I’m not sure they’re working very well. I went camping this weekend and wore sandles instead of my proper shoes. This bunion is punishing me now.

I really don’t want the surgery as I don’t think I’ll be able to hit the gym for a few months.

Anyone have an experience to share?
Sounds like the podiatrist's opinion was right.

No bunion problem. But then I'm not a woman.

I did have plantar fasciitis one both sides for a time about fifteen years ago. Hurt like hell but I just kind of dealt with it. Then it went away. No idea how or why but it was just gone. Really weird.

Oh, and this format sucks.

Last edited:

I did have plantar fasciitis one both sides for a time about fifteen years ago. Hurt like hell but I just kind of dealt with it. Then it went away. No idea how or why but it was just gone. Really weird.

I had it too, about a year or so ago. Hurt like a bitch but went away eventually after no intervention on my part.

Well the bloodwork wasn’t conclusive that I have gout. My uric acid level was like 7.5 which is high-normal. I’m on day 3 of the steroids still waiting for this to turn the corner. Baby steps I guess...day one I couldn’t put a shoe on and it hurt like a bitch to even have a sock on, yesterday I was able to slip my keens on and walk with pain so I could take my kid somewhere, we’ll see what happens today.

still hurts like a bitch or maybe I’m just the bitch?

Reactions: muubell
It's been a few years back, but I came down with something in my big toe that hurt like a bitch. It felt broken. Swollen and tender and hurt with any movement. I toughed it out and it finally cured itself after three or four days. Wife guessed gout. No idea if that's what it was or not.
That's the way my Wife's first bout with Gout was, Swollen Big Toe felt like it was broken, extreme pain. Most of us associate Gout with the foot because it is most common. However, you can get gout in any joint. I know several people who have had it in the elbow. For those that don't know Gout is the build up of excess Uric Acid usually in a large joint.

Don't eat shrimp and similar shellfish...do eat cherries. Always seems worse at night.

I had plantar fasciitis in my left foot around the first of the year. It got to the point that I thought I was going to end up under the knife. I did some research, generally the results pointed at shoes, inserts or surgery. A few articles talked about stretching; which seemed cheap and easy. I went that route (which hurt like hell). I stretched 4 or 5 times a day, after a week it felt better and within a month+ I was pretty much back to normal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT