ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else really wish we could see the QB's in practice

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
I love 2020 Penix, and I think if he existed he would be our best option at QB. Basically up until the post-Cincy press conference, CTA among others have publicly made it clear that Penix's job couldn't be safer. He backed off saying that after the Cincy game. But I am really wondering, does it look like Penix has regressed much in practice for them to have had so much confidence in him, because he actually looked pretty comfortable in the Cincy game, a lot of his mistakes were execution and decision making related. I could argue all three picks were decision making, which also makes me question whether they are doing enough live stuff in practice because Penix tried to be a hero unnecessarily twice, and it resulted in two picks. His decision making is my biggest worry, his first two picks against Iowa were flukey, but he could have had 6 picks in that game mostly because he was forcing it to guys that aren't open. That third pick against Cincy, my god you would chew out your JV quarterback for making that decision, it's one thing if it's 4th down, but we had a down left and he just did basically the last thing a QB should do when he's forced out of the pocket.

But on top of that, his execution is definitely not where it was last year. He is throwing uncatchable balls far more often, I mean his freshman year his completion percentage was what jumped out at me, now he we are just grateful if it's catchable 15 yards downfield, you would think that would show up in practice at least a little bit. I will say, he did have a couple of nice balls down field to DJ(who has been a breath of fresh air btw), and a few to Fryfogle that he dropped, but overall I feel like Penix's decision making is alarmingly bad, he is just too willing to force the ball where it doesn't belong instead of just eating a sack. Penix used to mask the O-line by getting the ball out quickly and not taking sacks, but this year he is exacerbating their problems by throwing the ball to a defender instead of just taking the sack or throwing it away like Tuttle would do. Either the coaches need to give him more live 7 on 7 scenarios in practice, or it may be Tuttle time, because we can't be dealing with high school mistakes in our QB who has had a full season's worth of college starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
It is clear IU's offense isn't what it should be and a QB change for a short while may help straighten things out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT