ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else feel we are better without Cronk?

A lot of sour grapes “we don’t want him anyway” type posts here.

The question was whether we’d be better without Cronk. That’s it. And the answer is absolutely not.

Our biggest struggle every year is on the lines. We ALWAYS need linemen. ALWAYS. Whether they start opening game or not, we need linemen. Cronk is likely to start at Iowa but we’re a better team without him? Just stop.

Reactions: Radio Zero

The question was whether we’d be better without Cronk. That’s it. And the answer is absolutely not.

Our biggest struggle every year is on the lines. We ALWAYS need linemen. ALWAYS. Whether they start opening game or not, we need linemen. Cronk is likely to start at Iowa but we’re a better team without him? Just stop.
Sour grapes is exactly what it is.

He beat out Bedford to start the season, got hurt, decided to transfer, and now he's dogmeat.

This place turns on players in a second. I can remember when 90% of the posters here were trashing Ramsey when he wasn't name the starter.

I don't think anyone is saying we are going to be better off without him. My point, and some other people's, is that it is not like he was Anthony Munoz. A better than average player but a team captain that bailed out on his team maybe we are better off.

He beat out Bedford to start the season, got hurt, decided to transfer, and now he's dogmeat.

This place turns on players in a second. I can remember when 90% of the posters here were trashing Ramsey when he wasn't name the starter.

You're so full of it. Nobody is trashing the guy. A couple of posters feel like he’s turning his back on the team, but that’s literally the worst comments in this thread. Stop lying. Plus 90% of the board never trashed Ramsey. More outright lies from you. Your false claims are easily proven false throughout this board by the actual posts on here. Link the comments you’re claiming are being made or GTFO.

There are some sour grapes involved. But I have long contended that the lack of development by him and Marcelino Ball after such promising true freshman years surprised me
At least Cronk has not regressed like Ball has.

You're so full of it. Nobody is trashing the guy. A couple of posters feel like he’s turning his back on the team, but that’s literally the worst comments in this thread. Stop lying. Plus 90% of the board never trashed Ramsey. More outright lies from you. Your false claims are easily proven false throughout this board by the actual posts on here. Link the comments you’re claiming are being made or GTFO.
I agree with you on Cronk but a number of normally sane posters went overboard on trashing Ramsey.

Reactions: DANC
Was Cronk one of our best five offensive lineman returning for us next year? Absolutely. Does his departure hurt. Yes it does. Where does it hurt us the most? The guard spot, because that's where the coaches had him slotted, because Jones and Bedford were not gonna get beat out. It's that's simple.

It's a blow to the team for sure, but we will move on. We still won 8 games last with Cronk being injured for 2/3rds of the season. We'll be okay.

This has little or nothing to do with the player. He is a great kid. And it has nothing to do with the IU staff. Read what you want into this, but IU is never better off losing a good kid.

This doesn’t seem to make much sense what you’ve said. Everything is fine with the player. Everything is fine with IU and the staff.....so, what do we use to fill in the gaps? He just wants a change of scenery and chose to step away from a program he invested 4 years of his time?

Everything is fine on both sides so he decided a divorce was best? It seems odd.

I think there were indeed some sour grapes....on the part of Coy Cronk. There is nothing wrong with saying that either, right?

All is fair here, right?
He was upset he wasn’t going to play tackle because there are already two guys that are better suited for that position. He wasn’t going to start there, so he took his ball and went elsewhere. Rather than compete for the job, he chose to step away, hand over his captain role and do what was best for him. Cronk put Cronk in front of team. Some guys are wired that way. No harm.

While I don't like his decision, it's his to make. He's not an indentured servant. He doesn't owe us anything...

Cronk gave his all and then some while he was here.

He's clearly made a decision based on the thought that he wants to prove he can play Left Tackle in the NFL.

He thinks he'll have a better shot at proving that he can play NFL level Left Tackle at Iowa this Fall... I think he's wrong..., but, (probably luckily for him;))...,he doesn't seek my input.

Most of the guys he came in with are gone, the coaches who recruited and initially were his position coaches him are long gone (including the Head Coach)..., and he sure doesn't owe any of jokers (and boo birds) in the stands or those on here anything...

He could have just said "the heck with it" after he got hurt and moved on to the next chapter of his life but instead he remained a contributing member of the Team as a student coach (and did a great job of it) and remained a Team Captain... He clearly more than fulfilled all of his "obligations" to the Team this past season...

Good Luck to him in the future. I don't like or even agree with his decision but I understand it and certainly believe it was his and his alone to make...

Best case scenario for all concerned is that the next time we see him play we're matched up against Iowa in the Big Ten Championship Game...

Wish him well and let him move on...
While I don't like his decision, it's his to make. He's not an indentured servant. He doesn't owe us anything...

Cronk gave his all and then some while he was here.

He's clearly made a decision based on the thought that he wants to prove he can play Left Tackle in the NFL.

He thinks he'll have a better shot at proving that he can play NFL level Left Tackle at Iowa this Fall... I think he's wrong..., but, (probably luckily for him;))...,he doesn't seek my input.

Most of the guys he came in with are gone, the coaches who recruited and initially were his position coaches him are long gone (including the Head Coach)..., and he sure doesn't owe any of jokers (and boo birds) in the stands or those on here anything...

He could have just said "the heck with it" after he got hurt and moved on to the next chapter of his life but instead he remained a contributing member of the Team as a student coach (and did a great job of it) and remained a Team Captain... He clearly more than fulfilled all of his "obligations" to the Team this past season...

Good Luck to him in the future. I don't like or even agree with his decision but I understand it and certainly believe it was his and his alone to make...

Best case scenario for all concerned is that the next time we see him play we're matched up against Iowa in the Big Ten Championship Game...

Wish him well and let him move on...
I respect you opinion &...very much disagree, but it's alright!

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
And also makes you think there might have been some fire to the smoke last year about transferring to Purdue.
Was that last year? I thought it was.....this..oh yeah! I forgot about that. You'e right, there probably was, & THAT leads me too speculate if it's not all about playing OT next year.

Maybe you should take an anatomy class and understand what a shoulder injury is.

There are some sour grapes involved. But I have long contended that the lack of development by him and Marcelino Ball after such promising true freshman years surprised me
At least Cronk has not regressed like Ball has.
Ball is a head case. Watch him on the sidellines. I had 2nd row seats for the Ball State game, and the dude stood off by himself most of the game, after he had a penalty called against him.

When Ball came in, he had better LBs around him and a better DL. And he's still pretty good against the run. But he is being asked to do too much in pass protection. At least that's my opinion.

Cronk has played on some good OLs and, I believe if you look at his stats, he gave up very few sacks, comparatively. He was a solid player. Bedford is still learning the ropes.

I'm not saying Cronk didn't leave because he was being asked to play Guard (although I personally think it had more to do with the naming of the OC). He probably didn't want to play guard. But to say he couldn't have beaten out Bedford as a starter is just wrong, imo.

Ball is a head case. Watch him on the sidellines. I had 2nd row seats for the Ball State game, and the dude stood off by himself most of the game, after he had a penalty called against him.

When Ball came in, he had better LBs around him and a better DL. And he's still pretty good against the run. But he is being asked to do too much in pass protection. At least that's my opinion.

Cronk has played on some good OLs and, I believe if you look at his stats, he gave up very few sacks, comparatively. He was a solid player. Bedford is still learning the ropes.

I'm not saying Cronk didn't leave because he was being asked to play Guard (although I personally think it had more to do with the naming of the OC). He probably didn't want to play guard. But to say he couldn't have beaten out Bedford as a starter is just wrong, imo.
Now we will never know. I believe Bedford will become one of the better linemen we have had. Cronk was better than serviceable but I think overvalued by us. I would love to have seen him at guard which I think his skill set and body type were more conducive to. Regardless the key is it is our opinions and neither of them are of any great value.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Crank was great team guy, played hard. Seems like it’s an OT bs OG “thing” for him. Why OC choice would cause him to move seems off. I had asked “what if it’s a Hiller issue, that’s his position coach?” But maybe it’s just a “Want to try something else/new?”

I say appreciate his past efforts, wish him well at a team we don’t play next year, his last season, and look forward to the transfer(s) or recruits we might get who are excited to be at IU! Sounds like we may get a few good ones ahead.

Things still look solid ahead. Look forward not backwards and if he’s not at IU, then Next Man Up!

Maybe you should take an anatomy class and understand what a shoulder injury is.

Hahaha. Exactly what I expected. You can’t backup your BS at all. You’re a total phony. Show us all the posts where people are trashing Cronk and Ramsey. Your hot takes are almost as bad as feepaw. You made a bunch of false claims and can’t back any of them up.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hahaha. Exactly what I expected. You can’t backup your BS at all. You’re a total phony. Show us all the posts where people are trashing Cronk and Ramsey. Your hot takes are almost as bad as feepaw. You made a bunch of false claims and can’t back any of them up.
You must have slept through much of last year.

But that's OK - for someone who thinks Penix's had a shoulder injury, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'd let you off, but you just couldn't resist shooting off your mouth when I said it wasn't a shoulder injury. And you kept at it, even when I showed you it wasn't. So, I don't take you or anything you post seriously. When it comes to BS, you have no equal.

You must have slept through much of last year.

But that's OK - for someone who thinks Penix's had a shoulder injury, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'd let you off, but you just couldn't resist shooting off your mouth when I said it wasn't a shoulder injury. And you kept at it, even when I showed you it wasn't. So, I don't take you or anything you post seriously. When it comes to BS, you have no equal.

We’re all still waiting for you to prove your BS claims about people trashing Cronk and 90% of the board trashing Ramsey. Put up or shut up. Your credibility on here continues to sink like a stone.

This doesn’t seem to make much sense what you’ve said. Everything is fine with the player. Everything is fine with IU and the staff.....so, what do we use to fill in the gaps? He just wants a change of scenery and chose to step away from a program he invested 4 years of his time?

Everything is fine on both sides so he decided a divorce was best? It seems odd.
The kid is a good kid and good player who played four years and there are other influences with players that you seem to be missing.

Hey, it is not hard to understand. And now that Ramsey is leaving maybe Cronk doesn’t leaving doesn’t look as bad. Cronk is a senior and captain and after four years he would have started for me. But Ramsey is leaving now, which is ironic, so now focus will move from Cronk to Ramsey and people will still not understand what is going on.

Hey, it is not hard to understand. And now that Ramsey is leaving maybe Cronk doesn’t leaving doesn’t look as bad. Cronk is a senior and captain and after four years he would have started for me. But Ramsey is leaving now, which is ironic, so now focus will move from Cronk to Ramsey and people will still not understand what is going on.

I don't think either transfer looks bad at all. It looks like 2 multi-year starters not being satisfied with where it looks like they'd get penciled in next year and making what they think is the best decision for themselves.

Both transfers are disheartening, but not wholly unexpected. And I'm not sure what your last sentence is trying to suggest. But they had their best year in a generation and they're still getting the best recruiting classes they've ever gotten.

Do you have some information you'd be willing to share that makes you think that it's something else?

In today's climate of players jumping in the transfer portal this doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm surprised Ramsey didn't leave before last year. Look at the numbers in the portal...it's crazy! Look at Stanford, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan. Does that mean all of these programs have issues or underlying problems - NO. These kids want to play and I'm not sure either of the players would automatically get playing time next year if they stayed. Good luck to them and any others that leave. Next man up!

I don't think either transfer looks bad at all. It looks like 2 multi-year starters not being satisfied with where it looks like they'd get penciled in next year and making what they think is the best decision for themselves.

Both transfers are disheartening, but not wholly unexpected. And I'm not sure what your last sentence is trying to suggest. But they had their best year in a generation and they're still getting the best recruiting classes they've ever gotten.

Do you have some information you'd be willing to share that makes you think that it's something else?
Parents and “unofficial” input from agent types play a huge role in senior player decisions. Some players cave to the influence of senior parent influence, some ride it out. I just don’t think these decisions are always coach or player issues related.

I agree that it's not hard to understand why either player left at all. Anyone that's questioning them is just out of bounds. It's their life and their playing career. They both were model citizens at IU and they gave us all a lot of great memories. I wish them both nothing but success. I am a bit curious why you think Ramsey leaving is ironic though? I figured he'd be leaving for sure, but Cronk's departure was the one that surprised me. I totally understand their motivations to transfer though.

Per kids leaving from the Penn St's & Michigan's of the world (not just IU), says to me some of these highly touted recruits actually can't crack the line up there and feel they have to go elsewhere. Not even sure it means they'd start at IU if they transferred in. But in some cases it may simply be they want a fresh start/change for 1 or 2 years. I have a hard time believing the new OG we got from Stanford "hated" Palo Alto or Stanford, but rather graduated, believe he has some post college plans already that Kelly B-school aligned with, and wanted to get back to Midwest and play B10 FB. If they are in grad portal, hardly think we should be mad if they gave their 3-4 yrs and graduated, as Cronk/Ramsey did.

Per kids leaving from the Penn St's & Michigan's of the world (not just IU), says to me some of these highly touted recruits actually can't crack the line up there and feel they have to go elsewhere. Not even sure it means they'd start at IU if they transferred in. But in some cases it may simply be they want a fresh start/change for 1 or 2 years. I have a hard time believing the new OG we got from Stanford "hated" Palo Alto or Stanford, but rather graduated, believe he has some post college plans already that Kelly B-school aligned with, and wanted to get back to Midwest and play B10 FB. If they are in grad portal, hardly think we should be mad if they gave their 3-4 yrs and graduated, as Cronk/Ramsey did.

After players graduate they are ready to make plans for their futures, they look at other options just as other graduates do for their future endeavors.

I don't think anyone is saying we are going to be better off without him. My point, and some other people's, is that it is not like he was Anthony Munoz. A better than average player but a team captain that bailed out on his team maybe we are better off.
Who's calling him Anthony Munoz?

Who's calling him Anthony Munoz?
Obviously nobody is but some the reaction to losing him would imply he was something more than an average big Ten lineman. That is what I thought he was. My opinion doesn't matter here--or when talking to my wife. Wish he had stayed because average linemen are pretty good.

Last edited:
He wanted to get ready for the NFL and play for a program that both knows how to win and line guys up on Sunday's.

The original poster stated his opinion, asking if others agreed with him that we were better off without Cronk. The real answer comes in the fall, when IU meets Iowa. We shall see.

The original poster stated his opinion, asking if others agreed with him that we were better off without Cronk. The real answer comes in the fall, when IU meets Iowa. We shall see.

Ugh.... No, we won't see. IU doesn't play Iowa this fall... You don't come to the football forum much, do you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT