ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else cutting their own hair?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
MInes pretty easy, as they just use a guard and sheer me like a sheep pretty much. I have some clippers I use for manscaping and trimming up my neck hair and plopped on the longest guard and proceeded to have at it. OK with the results, but it was a little shorter than normal. Tougher to trim my neck, but I've gotten by with that too with mirrors. Thinking about round 2 tonight, I hate when my hair starts to feel bushy. Anyone else taking matters in to their own hands or having a spouse get after them?
people-cut-own-hair-self-isolation-4-5e7db0461cb17__700.jpg
03-terrible-haircuts.jpg

haircut-22.jpg
not-cut-3.jpg

MInes pretty easy, as they just use a guard and sheer me like a sheep pretty much. I have some clippers I use for manscaping and trimming up my neck hair and plopped on the longest guard and proceeded to have at it. OK with the results, but it was a little shorter than normal. Tougher to trim my neck, but I've gotten by with that too with mirrors. Thinking about round 2 tonight, I hate when my hair starts to feel bushy. Anyone else taking matters in to their own hands or having a spouse get after them?
03-terrible-haircuts.jpg

haircut-22.jpg
not-cut-3.jpg
My wife has been cutting my hair for over three years. A week or so ago she cut her own hair and did a wonderful job. I told her that she should just save her money and start cutting it herself. It looked just as good as it does when she goes to Super Cuts etc.

I charged up the fancy clippers I bought to trim my dog and gave it a shot. First time was pretty good and the latest trim was very good. I use the #1 guard and my wife trims my neck.

My hair stylist lost a client. I will miss her.

Reactions: kkott
03-terrible-haircuts.jpg

haircut-22.jpg
not-cut-3.jpg
03-terrible-haircuts.jpg

haircut-22.jpg
not-cut-3.jpg
My wife has cut my pitiful hair once since the pandemic. She probably will do it again this coming weekend.

Nope can't cut my own, and I live alone, so...

My barber opened up appointments again but I didn't get it scheduled fast enough and she booked up. Have to wait till June 1. I'm going to look like a deranged hill-jack by then. I was growing a Corona beard but it drove me nuts, had to trim that up.

Reactions: sdhoosier
I've trimmed the front and sides a little bit - glad I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, though. I'm about 2-3 weeks away from having a mullet.

My barber opened up appointments again but I didn't get it scheduled fast enough and she booked up. Have to wait till June 1. I'm going to look like a deranged hill-jack by then. I was growing a Corona beard but it drove me nuts, had to trim that up.
Look like a deranged hill jack by then? How would that be different from any other day.

All kidding aside, I have the had the same Barber for almost 40 years, and I have worn my hair the same way since junior high school. My hair is probably grown out about 2 and a half months. Two years ago when I was hospitalized, I went almost 4 months between haircuts out of necessity.

Several years ago I complained to my Barber that it seemed that my hair was growing back more quickly and I needed Haircuts more often. He then reminded me that a lot of guys my age would love to have the problem of that much hair growing that quickly. Point taken.

been cutting mine for 45 yrs.

used scissors when i was young with long hair. now just the hair cutting sheers.

why can't you cut your own? is there a physical reason?

if not, not that tough. the key is to always sheer against the grain.

it's no different than mowing a lawn, (but don't use a lawn mower), and think of the comb attachments to the sheers as the cut height adjuster on the mower.

start with the biggest comb, and work down to the one that gives the length you want.

i always lay a trash bag across the bathroom sink, and lay down some junk mail grocery newspaper type fliers on the floor to keep cleanup to under 10 seconds.

you need a handheld mirror as well to help with trimming the back of the neck.

i do have an electric razor, (only crazy people use a blade), and a beard trimmer for the back of the neck hair, which helps a lot.

so along with the hair sheer set with attachment combs and some scissors, (which often come with the set when you buy sheers), you're set.

no wonder men's barbers/hair cutting salons want to open quick, as they don't want everyone finding out they can do this themselves.

used scissors when i was young with long hair. now just the hair cutting sheers.

it's no different than mowing a lawn, (but don't use a lawn mower), and think of the comb attachments to the sheers as the cut height adjuster on the mower.

start with the biggest comb, and work down to the one that gives the length you want.

i always lay a trash bag across the bathroom sink, and lay down some junk mail grocery newspaper type fliers on the floor to keep cleanup to under 10 seconds.

i do have an electric razor, (only crazy people use a blade), and a beard trimmer for the back of the neck hair, which helps a lot.

so along with the hair sheer set with attachment combs and some scissors, (which often come with the set when you buy sheers), you're set.

no wonder men's barbers/hair cutting salons want to open quick, as they don't want everyone finding out they can do this themselves.

NOTE: Ivegotwinners is pic #1 in the original post!

Reactions: UncleMark and kkott
And eyebrows?

I think he missed that part!

It's funny, but one of the main reasons I have clippers is to keep my eyebrows trimmed. In the back of my mind I was always thinking, "I don't want my eyebrows to look like Bob's!"

PS. A few weeks ago I'd trimmed up my neck (straight clippers, no guard) and put it back on the charger. Generally I keep the eyebrow guard on it, since I trim them most often. Noticed they were getting a little bushy, so I grabbed the clippers and sheared off about 3/4 of my left eyebrow before I realized what I'd done. Chicks dig a partial eyebrow.

I think he missed that part!

It's funny, but one of the main reasons I have clippers is to keep my eyebrows trimmed. In the back of my mind I was always thinking, "I don't want my eyebrows to look like Bob's!"

PS. A few weeks ago I'd trimmed up my neck (straight clippers, no guard) and put it back on the charger. Generally I keep the eyebrow guard on it, since I trim them most often. Noticed they were getting a little bushy, so I grabbed the clippers and sheared off about 3/4 of my left eyebrow before I realized what I'd done. Chicks dig a partial eyebrow.
C'mon...we all know why you have all those clippers.

03-terrible-haircuts.jpg

haircut-22.jpg
not-cut-3.jpg
@Capitol Hoosier

Round #2 completed this morning, with passable results. Innovated with I'vegotwinners suggestion of a trashbag on the vanity for quick cleanup (nice!), I did it in about 10 minutes before my shower. Still unsure if I'll go back to a professional or not. By pro, I meant professional stylist of course!

Off to get a haircut in an hour -- first time in seven weeks. The new stylist is pretty good. It kept its shape for this while. Dont actually need the cut yet but I am going there to get a new set of wheels for my bike too.

I've been cutting my hair at home since I was 16yo. The main reason why I started doing this at home was that the hairdresser could never understand what I wanted. Just a simple example I asked her to cut off 1 inch, she cut off 4. Who does that? And she kept telling me that it's just hair and it will grow back. Damn! That was my hair, Joanne. I hate you! Since I started to cut my hair at home, I love the way I can style it. I swear it started to grow faster. Moreover, I got an excellent hair care routine. I am using sulfate-free shampoos, organic masks, and heat protection. But the hardest was to find the perfect match shampoo. I was lucky to find this web hairdryerfair.com. I found a lot of good stuff in there. Anyways, say NO to your hairdresser, style your hair at home!

Last edited:
I've been cutting my hair at home since I was 16yo. The main reason why I started doing this at home was that the hairdresser could never understand what I wanted. Just a simple example I asked her to cut off 1 inch, she cut off 4. Who does that? And she kept telling me that it's just hair and it will grow back. Damn! That was my hair, Joanne. I hate you! Since I started to cut my hair at home, I love the way I can style it. I swear it started to grow faster. Moreover, I got an excellent hair care routine. I am using sulfate-free shampoos, organic masks, and heat protection. But the hardest was to find the perfect match shampoo. I was lucky to find this web hairdryerfair.com. I found a lot of good stuff in there. Anyways, say NO to your hairdresser, style your hair at home!
Does your husband cut his own hair too, or do you take care of that also?

• Haha
Reactions: All4You
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT