ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone drive a Kia Sorento?

Dunn_IU

Freshman
Sep 28, 2015
Test drove one and I'm impressed. Plenty of power with the V6, great handling, not that bumpy a ride like most SUVs, plenty of room with 3rd row seating and storage, great leather interior, looks nice too. Kind of pricey, gave me a price of about 37K out the door including $3250 rebate tho I didn't really try to bargain when I was there. Quality for Kia is supposed to be pretty good too. Was looking at the 2018 EX touring. Has about every option other than the Nav unit, tho they have Apple carplay instead. What other SUVs would be good to check out in that range? Already have a RAV4 that we like.

Test drove one and I'm impressed. Plenty of power with the V6, great handling, not that bumpy a ride like most SUVs, plenty of room with 3rd row seating and storage, great leather interior, looks nice too. Kind of pricey, gave me a price of about 37K out the door including $3250 rebate tho I didn't really try to bargain when I was there. Quality for Kia is supposed to be pretty good too. Was looking at the 2018 EX touring. Has about every option other than the Nav unit, tho they have Apple carplay instead. What other SUVs would be good to check out in that range? Already have a RAV4 that we like.
Can I ban this post as an unauthorized advertisement?

I bought a Kia Sedona van about 5 years ago for a couple reasons. 1)Kia offers a very strong warranty, better than most 2) they give you more options for the money than the comparable Honda and Toyota vans and 3) price

What I will tell you though is the depreciation is pretty awful. The Kia brand at least for the van doesn't hold it's value nearly as well as most other brands. Most people don't consider this enough especially if they don't hold onto their vehicles that long. In a trade or sale you will be very dissappointed what they'll offer you. Other than that I've been very pleased with Kia. Hope this helps.

37K for a Kia? What does a similarly equipped Honda sell for? Resale value might not matter to you, but my CR-V (may it rest in pieces) held its value very well and we got a lot for it when it was totaled.

My approach on cars has always served me well. Find the car you like and then get it off Autotrader finding low mileage cars in the last 2 model years. The depreciation on almost all cars sucks and if you buy them less than 2 years and 30K miles, which is what I do, you generally still have factory warranty left on much of the car. I'd say on average I'm saving at least a third vs sticker on the current models, and sometimes as much as half or more. I generally drive until around 150K and I'm usually pleased with what they're worth at that point and then I put that towards my next purchase. Good system, but I'm allergic to car payments and my favorite 2 features of a car are 1) paid for, 2) starts every time. I buy good cars and am on my third Toyota Avalon.

PS. plus you are saving on insurance and taxes. It's pretty huge.

Last edited:
Or you can lease like we do. We own our van for travel and lease our other 12k mile vehicle.

We also don’t mind having a car payment and get to enjoy and new car every 3rd year and never have to worry about repairs. When it comes to leases though never put money down.

My approach on cars has always served me well. Find the car you like and then get it off Autotrader finding low mileage cars in the last 2 model years. The depreciation on almost all cars sucks and if you buy them less than 2 years and 30K miles, which is what I do, you generally still have factory warranty left on much of the car. I'd say on average I'm saving at least a third vs sticker on the current models, and sometimes as much as half or more.

PS. plus you are saving on insurance and taxes. It's pretty huge.
When I bought my CR-V, they were very popular with used prices and new car prices being very close. No brainer, I bought a new one. The only other new cars I have bought in the last 20 years were cars I ordered. I wanted a particular model level and options with a particular color/interior combination that wasn't available.

I got a good price on ordering the cars. Dealer likes that the car is sold as soon as it comes off the truck. They could sell for invoice price and still make something on it. It was cool being behind an enclosed car carrier that turned into the dealer. I made a u-turn on the chance it had our new car. I saw it roll off the truck. I learned it came in from overseas with only reverse and 1st gear programmed.

I like my Honda Pilot, in part because it is going strong at 348,000 miles. yes, 348K

Has the 3 rows you like & has reliability in both short and long-term. Ought to be way less $$$$s too

Wife has a 2012 Sorrento SX. Bought it about 4 years ago, with maybe 35k miles...for little over half what you are talking about paying. Something to keep in mind.

It's been fine, a few minor issues, but it was still under factory warranty until 60k miles.

Only thing since then has been an issue with one of the power seats. It has maybe 75k miles now.

Maybe check out Hyundai as well

We bought a Sedona and a Cadenza this summer. Have been very happy with both. We test drove too many vehicles to keep track of, and Kia won for a variety of reasons. IMO, the only downside is that some people will judge you for driving a Kia. If you don’t give a shit what others think, you’ll be driving a great car at a great price.

What's a good price on a 2018 Honda CRV? My dealer won't go lower than 24k for the LX AWD. I'm also considering the Kia Sportage but they're at least 22k so it doesn't seem worth it.

What's a good price on a 2018 Honda CRV? My dealer won't go lower than 24k for the LX AWD. I'm also considering the Kia Sportage but they're at least 22k so it doesn't seem worth it.

Best day to buy is the last day of the calendar year . . . the next best day is the last day of a month, particularly a month in which the manufacturer is having a sale.

Best deal I ever got on a Honda CRV was when I bought one in Columbus GA because I couldn't find the model I wanted in the Atlanta area . . . the manager said "sure, I don't mind stealing a car from those guys". MrsSope drove it for 10 years, then when she traded it it was sold to the local CarMax dealer . . . and our daughter-in-law's maid of honor bought it . . . she loves it.

Take a look at the Toyota RAV4 . . . MrsSope prefers her 2017 hybrid XLE to the CRV she had for 10 years . . . .

I'm the king of paid off cars. Recently gifted an 02 accord that I've driven for 13 years to a family member. I drive an '11 Sorento right now. It's been a good vehicle and all the research said they're better now. Keep the oil changed and do the maintenance and you should be fine for a long time. Let some other sucker take the hit on depreciation.

The CRVs I've looked at don't seem to be much cheaper used. They want like $18.5k for 2014 model which is the old design with 30k miles. A 2018 with the new design for $24k doesn't seem bad.

We bought a Sedona and a Cadenza this summer. Have been very happy with both. We test drove too many vehicles to keep track of, and Kia won for a variety of reasons. IMO, the only downside is that some people will judge you for driving a Kia. If you don’t give a shit what others think, you’ll be driving a great car at a great price.
What is the thought process behind their judgment? In other words why would people look down on a kia driver?

What is the thought process behind their judgment? In other words why would people look down on a kia driver?

Kia has been considered the lesser brand in the Hyundai line up, with Genesis at the top, then Hyundai, and then Kia. Its reputation for reliability, fit and finish and performance ere for years among the bottom of economy car brands. Well that's changed with Kia now getting great reviews . . . but the perception of prior years' ratings remains.

Kia has been considered the lesser brand in the Hyundai line up, with Genesis at the top, then Hyundai, and then Kia. Its reputation for reliability, fit and finish and performance ere for years among the bottom of economy car brands. Well that's changed with Kia now getting great reviews . . . but the perception of prior years' ratings remains.
Thanks. I get it. It's about performance. The perception is you are buying junk. I am not mechanical, and we bought two, "star" vans. Our first was an Aerostar and the second was a Windstar. Because of their performance I now will never buy a, "star" again. I was just too dumb to realize the first van under performed because it was a, "star".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT