ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone actually think we'll get Mullins?

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
My 1st thought when Sisley announced was that we'd get neither Harrelson or Mullins.
Anyone actually have anything compelling to think Mullins is heard our way?

Reactions: Willdog7
I think we'll get him, yes. Lots of talk of family travel being a factor. All accounts I've heard is he's fairly close with Sisley.

If we don't get him...I think its yet another indictment on the style that Woody has implemented since arriving in Bloomington. And Mullins will likely have committed before this year's team has an opportunity to change that perception.

Reactions: kkott
Travel issues and some of the likely commits (may have happened already) to UNC and UConn seem to help us.

I know nothing but seems like we have a good chance.

Reactions: kkott
Travel issues and some of the likely commits (may have happened already) to UNC and UConn seem to help us.

I know nothing but seems like we have a good chance.
Too many factors lead to IU being the "best" choice. If he chooses elsewhere...not the end of the world, obviously. But it would be further proof that we have something going on that is hurting our chances with high level high school guards. And the most obvious reason would have to be Woody's style of play.

UNC and UCONN getting other commitments has to help IU
Unless they have one I'm not aware of, the UNC kid (Dixon?) is a PG I think, so likely no impact on Mullins unless he just really wants to, or doesn't want to, play with him.

Too many factors lead to IU being the "best" choice. If he chooses elsewhere...not the end of the world, obviously. But it would be further proof that we have something going on that is hurting our chances with high level high school guards. And the most obvious reason would have to be Woody's style of play.
And his age and lack of job security. Had it not been from some big money promises by the Cooks and Simons he would've been gone this year.

And his age and lack of job security. Had it not been from some big money promises by the Cooks and Simons he would've been gone this year.
Could be. I kinda doubt those things are factoring in much though. If there were legitimate concerns on that, from high school recruits perspective...Would Sisley have chosen IU? Would Haralson have had IU as a consideration all the way until the end? Would Mullins have IU as one of his final 3? I think probably not.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Unless they have one I'm not aware of, the UNC kid (Dixon?) is a PG I think, so likely no impact on Mullins unless he just really wants to, or doesn't want to, play with him.
Dybantsa is a wing. Maybe that's who it is? Would help us if it's him.

Could be. I kinda doubt those things are factoring in much though. If there were legitimate concerns on that, from high school recruits perspective...Would Sisley have chosen IU? Would Haralson have had IU as a consideration all the way until the end? Would Mullins have IU as one of his final 3? I think probably not.
One could argue those kids feel pressure from their hometown's families etc. to attend IU. and keep them on the short list just to appease those people. Woodson has a shitload of top 5s in high profile long-term recruitments but few wins.

I hope Braylon comes to IU him and Sisley have been playing together off and on and and really complement one another very well at the college level and if he comes to IU all his family and friends can watch him play all the time. Hoosier nation really wants you Braylon GO HOOSIERS !!!

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Short answer: no. Too many misses the last several years to get my hopes up. That is IU basketball in a nutshell. I hope I’m wrong.

Most recruiting "experts" think IU is highly likely ... or even a lock. I'm not sure how much stock to invest in those predictions, so we'll see.

In any case, I'd argue that Mullins is the most important recruit during MW's tenure. If he misses out on another in-state, 5-star stud, as he did with Haralson, it will not be a good look for IU.

Reactions: ulrey
Most recruiting "experts" think IU is highly likely ... or even a lock. I'm not sure how much stock to invest in those predictions, so we'll see.

In any case, I'd argue that Mullins is the most important recruit during MW's tenure. If he misses out on another in-state, 5-star stud, as he did with Haralson, it will not be a good look for IU.
I usually do not agree with you, but I do this time. A lot depends on Rice and Carlyle both are Sophs. I guess he wants to come in as a starter.

Reactions: GThomas
I usually do not agree with you, but I do this time. A lot depends on Rice and Carlyle both are Sophs. I guess he wants to come in as a starter.
Sleepers has been following Mullins very closely and they talked about a prediction from On3 that says it's down to IU and UConn. Greg thinks it's IU. I've heard distance mentioned more than once and maybe that his folks want to be able to see him play. If that's true, that's a big plus for us.

I'm not a recruitnik and generally don't even watch highlights. I went to see IN Elite when they played here in Rock Hill SC a few weeks ago, and frankly was underwhelmed. I found out what I watched was a "showcase" game, which is basically a warmup game and didn't count in the standings, so maybe IN Elite wasn't taking it seriously, but Mullins to me didn't look like a guy physically ready to step in and start at a high national level program. Nice looking shot and he got it off quickly and elevated well, but didn't hit that game and the other team was playing hard and aggressive and I thought the physicalness bothered him. Looked to me like he needs some time and strength, although with his shooting, I'm sure he can help about anyone.

If IU has a really good season and plays a balanced offensive scheme, then the recruits will line up. This season is critical for Coach.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I would imagine any recruit coming wants to start right away, and views the roster landscape when selecting a team... but if a coach is promising starting time, then that becomes a big issue. I only say that because in the last 15 years or so, it sometimes appears that players at IU have been promised PT. I have no facts, it just sometimes appears that way. And, it never works out well. I hope Woody is not promising Mullins or anyone else PT, it needs to be earned.

You are a master of understatement.....not good, horrific

So if everything was different and the things happening weren't happening, Woody wouldn't be here? That is a weird take.
He's not here because anyone thinks he's a good coach or that he's earned being here. He's here because two very influential liberal donors want him to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT