ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody still think the Bucket game isn't winnable?

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
The Gophers are taking the Toilet Fakers behind the woodshed at Minny. A Bucket and a Bowl for Bill Mallory: win for Bill!

Meatchicken will be a tough game, but it would be sweet to take care of business up there.

Last edited:
If PU loses at home to WI then it’s BOTH 5-6 winner goes bowling. Please, game is whole new thing now!

Reactions: IUCol
The Gophers are taking the Toilet Fakers behind the woodshed at Minny. A Bucket and a Bowl for Bill Mallory: win for Bill!

Meatchicken will be a tough game, but it would be sweet to take care of business up there.

Purdue has only been in Minnesota territory twice this game, and once was due to a Minny turnover.

Reactions: 76-1
How'd we do against OSU and IOWA? I'll give you a hint--it was not as good as PUR did.

So they got drubbed and we lost close--either way, it's still the same 0-1. Don't delude yourself into thinking PUR won't give us everything we can handle.
Wow, with fans like you why go to the football game?. I was at the game today and sang with the team as I always do after a victory. Comparing games between different teams is apple and oranges. So are you telling me not to go to the PUkes game? Guess what, I will be there all game and we can beat them, just ask the Gophers!

Reactions: ESalum86
How'd we do against OSU and IOWA? I'll give you a hint--it was not as good as PUR did.

So they got drubbed and we lost close--either way, it's still the same 0-1. Don't delude yourself into thinking PUR won't give us everything we can handle.

What a stupid false post. No one happy about today, who also pointed out we did a lot better against MN has ever said PU wouldn’t be a tough game or that IU was even favored.

Why make up an argument no one is making. You don’t like Allen and deep down don’t like IU winning now bc it hurts your desire to can him. So you resort to saying anyone who doesn’t share your sentiments is an excuse maker who is fine with perennial 6-6.”

That’s about your schtick right?

Reactions: IUgradman
Where is Boiler1987 to tell us how bad they will beat us?
Oh please, don't bring that whack job up. He has stalked me from this board, to the Rivals main board, and then to the Louisville board!!

He is a piece of work, and he always has a goal of twisting the knife. He's a little sneaky bastard, I've never liked those types.

Last edited:
What a stupid false post. No one happy about today, who also pointed out we did a lot better against MN has ever said PU wouldn’t be a tough game or that IU was even favored.

Why make up an argument no one is making. You don’t like Allen and deep down don’t like IU winning now bc it hurts your desire to can him. So you resort to saying anyone who doesn’t share your sentiments is an excuse maker who is fine with perennial 6-6.”

That’s about your schtick right?
No. I have never advocated for Allen’s firing. This was more of a “marvel at what NW’s doing” post and asking why we haven’t been able to do that consistently.

It seems whoever we hire has one flaw that ends up being a killer. Wilson was and is a great offensive mind but had trouble with defense until Allen came along. Allen’s done okay in spots, but has also had headscratchers in spots. I just wish we were more consistent on the good side and the Maryland (last year)/Minnesota (this year) -type losses are blips rather than season-killers. Read no more into it than that.

ETA: Sorry—I thought we were discussing a different thread that I started. But I’m not in the “fire Allen” camp. I’m in the “how do we improve even if it means we need to make significant changes” camp.

Reactions: td75
No. I have never advocated for Allen’s firing. This was more of a “marvel at what NW’s doing” post and asking why we haven’t been able to do that consistently.

It seems whoever we hire has one flaw that ends up being a killer. Wilson was and is a great offensive mind but had trouble with defense until Allen came along. Allen’s done okay in spots, but has also had headscratchers in spots. I just wish we were more consistent on the good side and the Maryland (last year)/Minnesota (this year) -type losses are blips rather than season-killers. Read no more into it than that.

ETA: Sorry—I thought we were discussing a different thread that I started. But I’m not in the “fire Allen” camp. I’m in the “how do we improve even if it means we need to make significant changes” camp.
I was thinking the exact same thing today, that is weird. Allen and Wilson are two hires that put coaches into place where their strong suit is extremely one way. In KW's case it's all or nothing offense, in TA's case it's all or nothing defense.

Glass made these hires knowing damn good and well that both men had serious, serious shortcomings on the other side of the ball. This has really hurt our program.

Glass made these hires knowing damn good and well that both men had serious, serious shortcomings on the other side of the ball. This has really hurt our program.
I disagree. Why would Glass hire a coach knowing they had shortcomings?

Again here we are 5-5 with two games left. I'm not throwing the michi game out as a loss even as good as they are playing. We have played them tough the past few years and have not played our best game yet. When we do alot of eyes will be opened. These are growing pains and you see it happening week in week out in the Big.

Next week is week 2 after the bye and just like the beginning of the season teams improve the most week 2 which in IU's case is next week. We ran the ball effectively today, threw the ball deep, tackled much better, and had decent D-Line play against a solid run team. We still made alot of mistakes just less than Maryland today. This team is still learning and growing. While I can agree with some we looked to regress in games 7,8,9 we came out today and improved. Its still a work in progress but ON to next week!

Don't stop now boys lets keep rolling!

I was thinking the exact same thing today, that is weird. Allen and Wilson are two hires that put coaches into place where their strong suit is extremely one way. In KW's case it's all or nothing offense, in TA's case it's all or nothing defense.

The ideal situation could be a super organized head coach with Wilson & Allen as Coordinators.

But since not, I think Allen needs to be just HC and make sure he has right Coordinators in place. Not sure that’s the case yet.

The ideal situation could be a super organized head coach with Wilson & Allen as Coordinators.

But since not, I think Allen needs to be just HC and make sure he has right Coordinators in place. Not sure that’s the case yet.
Agreed...I've been asking "why", why would he make these types of hires instead of desperately trying to hire a head coach with staff in tow.

Regardless, I absolutely want TA to succeed and yesterday has me feeling just a bit better about him. Admittedly, I'm grasping at anything to feel that way because that's what IU football fans are often forced to do.

You can't estimate your time of arrival if you don't know where you are. Come on, man, get a clear head.

Reactions: SRIV94
I'm probably harder on Allen because I HATE how he was hired. That's not his fault. He did nothing wrong. Its not personal. I just get sick of the losses to decent competition. Every podunk team in America gets it together for at least a few seasons but not IU.

I'm probably harder on Allen because I HATE how he was hired. That's not his fault. He did nothing wrong. Its not personal. I just get sick of the losses to decent competition. Every podunk team in America gets it together for at least a few seasons but not IU.

Time to move on two years later. There are bright spots on horizon and I actually think Allen is and will continue growing on the job (even if it pains you that that may even be required). Watch for staff changes, recruiting class and let’s admit, if they get to a bowl this year, it will be a game step in the right direction which would be growth, not regression.

Reactions: SRIV94
You can't estimate your time of arrival if you don't know where you are. Come on, man, get a clear head.
Doesn’t really change the point, though. I didn’t bring up “perennial 6-6 at best” in this thread—that was in the other thread marveling what Coach Fitz has done with NW. Someone else did and I was responding to it.

I’m not advocating for Allen to be fired and never have.

Last edited:
What seemed a cakewalk early on has become a difficult task to win the fifth bucket in six years. Expect a chippy game. Thankfully the win today will mean the game won't be Played in an empty stadium.

I disagree. Why would Glass hire a coach knowing they had shortcomings?

Again here we are 5-5 with two games left. I'm not throwing the michi game out as a loss even as good as they are playing. We have played them tough the past few years and have not played our best game yet. When we do alot of eyes will be opened. These are growing pains and you see it happening week in week out in the Big.

Next week is week 2 after the bye and just like the beginning of the season teams improve the most week 2 which in IU's case is next week. We ran the ball effectively today, threw the ball deep, tackled much better, and had decent D-Line play against a solid run team. We still made alot of mistakes just less than Maryland today. This team is still learning and growing. While I can agree with some we looked to regress in games 7,8,9 we came out today and improved. Its still a work in progress but ON to next week!

Don't stop now boys lets keep rolling!
agree with you except the tackling. we look like we are allergic to tackling. what was up with maryland's last td when two iu player had the receiver hemmed in about 12" from the sideline around the 8 yd line. one defender was andre brown i think, plus a linebacker. could not even manage to push him out of bounds.

agree with you except the tackling. we look like we are allergic to tackling. what was up with maryland's last td when two iu player had the receiver hemmed in about 12" from the sideline around the 8 yd line. one defender was andre brown i think, plus a linebacker. could not even manage to push him out of bounds.

Those are tough. If the guy steps out and you touch him then it's a flag. Should have had him but there was a lot of that yesterday.

Most coaches have either an offensive or defensive slant. Hell the Steelers hired Mike Tomlinson who was just a special teams guy .. I would say he has done ok.

It appeared that TD Roof arrived in an undisciplined manner in which to clean up the play and knock the guy out of bounds. The receiver gathered himself and scored on a tremendous effort.

After rewatching the game and watching some particular plays three times, Maryland has a whole bunch of raw talent. That's probably the most talented team that TA has beaten in his time as HC.

Regardless of PU's result at Minny, IU's 4th qtr comeback there followed by the too conservative play calling in a tie game with 4 minutes left, was a terrible missed opportunity for victory. Is Minny very good? No!! That should have been a win.

Obviously both Roof and Brown did not complete the play and there was no whistle. It is completely inexcusable to stop playing because you assume he stepped out of bounds. If he did the whistle would have sounded. What Brown did is crazy.

Most coaches have either an offensive or defensive slant. Hell the Steelers hired Mike Tomlinson who was just a special teams guy .. I would say he has done ok.
The Steeler’s coach, Mike Tomlin, not Tomlinson, had an extensive background as a defensive coach when they hired him away from Minnesota (he was their DC) to be their head coach. He cut his teeth in the NFL as the D backs and Secondary coach under a guy named Monte Kiffin, the father of both Lane as well as the Tampa 2 defense (a variation of the standard Cover 2 scheme). Other than a season as a graduate assistant at Memphis, he was never a special teams coach, so you probably had him confused with someone else.

The Steeler’s coach, Mike Tomlin, not Tomlinson, had an extensive background as a defensive coach when they hired him away from Minnesota (he was their DC) to be their head coach. He cut his teeth in the NFL as the D backs and Secondary coach under a guy named Monte Kiffin, the father of both Lane as well as the Tampa 2 defense (a variation of the standard Cover 2 scheme). Other than a season as a graduate assistant at Memphis, he was never a special teams coach, so you probably had him confused with someone else.

Maybe Harbaugh.

Sorry it was Cowher who had the special teams background with special teams background with little time spent as D coordinator. My point any way is that very few people have extended experience on both sides of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT