ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody paying close attention to the impeachment trial?

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
I've not been able to so. If anyone can give an unbiased, impartial, emotionally detached summary of the events, please do so.

TIA.

I've not been able to so. If anyone can give an unbiased, impartial, emotionally detached summary of the events, please do so.

TIA.
All you need to know is that only guilty people won’t testify ..... our dear leader said so himself, and the parrots do what parrots do, until they lose their voice of course

Reactions: DrHoops
All you need to know is that only guilty people won’t testify ..... our dear leader said so himself, and the parrots do what parrots do, until they lose their voice of course
It's very sad watching it....

Half of our current government is compromised by the Russian mob. We all knew this would be a sham and it's a sham. What happens after is important. If the Mueller fiasco emboldened Trump and the Russia-publicans to be this openly corrupt and reckless, imagine how much more they and Trump will be if he feels vindicated.

This is honestly very concerning. Not sure where we go from here because the GOP has decided that checks and balances are no longer necessary.

Dems are asking for evidence to be subpoenaed. Currently asking for records from OMB. Previously had asked for evidence from WH and State, both tabled by Midnight Mitch. The OMB amendment will be shot down too.

The only real purpose for moving for these amendments now is it allows the Dems to further argue the merits of the articles, while forcing the Pubs to vote against calling for documentation.

There have been a couple votes for getting documents and things like that strictly on party lines. Latest polls say over 60% of people think there should be witnesses, so wondering how this sham will play to them. How can you take an oath to be impartial and then vote not to even see the evidence?

Reactions: Harry Hondo
This is honestly very concerning. Not sure where we go from here because the GOP has decided that checks and balances are no longer necessary.

Not while a republican is in the White House and not while republicans have a senate majority. In typical republican fashion, whatever they believe now will be reversed when a democrat is in the White House. Republicans have no principles.

There have been a couple votes for getting documents and things like that strictly on party lines. Latest polls say over 60% of people think there should be witnesses, so wondering how this sham will play to them. How can you take an oath to be impartial and then vote not to even see the evidence?
This is all going exactly as it was scripted. The only chance they will agree to call witnesses and evidence will come after the case is presented and rebutted. That's when at least four Pubs will need to find their backbones.

I'm not hopeful that any Republican will vote against Midnight Mitch. It is what it is. This will come down to a vote in November. We'll either get four more years of the worse president in history or people will inflict some pain on the Republican Party. If the Senate Republicans that are facing a tough election back Moscow Mitch (I like both nicknames), they may get the boot. I think the Republicans are going all out. They will risk Nevada, Arizona, Maine, etc. for Trump.

Reactions: MaxCoke
If the Senate Republicans that are facing a tough election back Moscow Mitch (I like both nicknames), they may get the boot. I think the Republicans are going all out. They will risk Nevada, Arizona, Maine, etc. for Trump.
Which could backfire. What happens if Trump wins, but loses the Senate?

Which could backfire. What happens if Trump wins, but loses the Senate?

That would be better than another four years of both Trump and Mitch. I think that's unlikely. If the Senate goes Democratic, Trump will lose.

Sope Creek said:

TIA.

ive been doing gravity experiments at Copper Mountain and don’t intend to watch. So yeah, I’m emotionally detached.
[/quote]
Of course you are

I just got a whole new set up from last year when I blew up my knee in Telluride. Just looking at my old skis gave me PTSD. I tore my ACL, MCL, meniscus, and had a slight fracture of the very top of my tibia. I have a cadaver’s patellar tendon as my right ACL now. I’m going to put it to good use. Thank you organ donors!

White Sox’ orthopedic surgeon did my knee at Rush. I thought you’d appreciate that as a Sox fan.

I went a little shorter with Volkl M5s 170’s because Volkls run long. I can’t wait to get out there. I hear the snow has been pretty good. Have fun shredding!

ive been doing gravity experiments at Copper Mountain and don’t intend to watch. So yeah, I’m emotionally detached.

giphy.gif

Reactions: twenty02 and Neves
It's very sad watching it....

Half of our current government is compromised by the Russian mob. We all knew this would be a sham and it's a sham. What happens after is important. If the Mueller fiasco emboldened Trump and the Russia-publicans to be this openly corrupt and reckless, imagine how much more they and Trump will be if he feels vindicated.
They are who they have always been.

I just got a whole new set up from last year when I blew up my knee in Telluride. Just looking at my old skis gave me PTSD. I tore my ACL, MCL, meniscus, and had a slight fracture of the very top of my tibia. I have a cadaver’s patellar tendon as my right ACL now. I’m going to put it to good use. Thank you organ donors!

White Sox’ orthopedic surgeon did my knee at Rush. I thought you’d appreciate that as a Sox fan.

I went a little shorter with Volkl M5s 170’s because Volkls run long. I can’t wait to get out there. I hear the snow has been pretty good. Have fun shredding!

I love skiing, but this gets more in the back of my mind every year. But WTF...... if you are scared of life you end up just watching it pass by until you die.

That ship sailed decades ago. Basically since the 70s, Congress has become not much more than theater for ugly people. They do roughly one substantial bill every 3-5 years.

Reactions: 76-1
I love skiing, but this gets more in the back of my mind every year. But WTF...... if you are scared of life you end up just watching it pass by until you die.

That's what I said about divorces in another thread. Or thereabouts.
Getting back on the horse again.

Last edited:
I just got a whole new set up from last year when I blew up my knee in Telluride.
I love the Telluride area.. I don't ski but I think that is a beautiful area. I almost bought some land in that area in the early 80s. There wasn't much in that area then. We were driving up the road to Telluride and came around a bend and they were moving a herd of sheep to somewhere else and the road was full of sheep so the only choice we had was to sit there and let the sheep go around us. Luckily they were going in the opposite direction to what we were or we might have been stuck for a while.

We don't have presidential impeachments very often and it shows.

Faith in Congress, and politics in general are taking a hit. Partisanship above all threatens our democracy.

Putin and anti- democrats must be smiling today along with Americans who believe in the imperial presidency.

We don't have presidential impeachments very often and it shows.

Faith in Congress, and politics in general are taking a hit. Partisanship above all threatens our democracy.

Putin and anti- democrats must be smiling today along with Americans who believe in the imperial presidency.

I am normally very optimistic about the future. But there is one item that makes me question my optimism, DACA. 75% of Republicans and 92% of Democrats want a pathway to citizenship. Here is an issue with OVERWHELMING support that cannot get passed. If we can't even pass the simple long-hanging fruit, what chance do the complicated issues have?

The system isn't just broken, as to me something that is broken just doesn't work. The system is actively producing harmful results. I am not sure what future event can change the trajectory we are on, we have a lot of inertia built up heading toward a cliff.

I think (just my opinion) that it's the most beautiful mountain and surroundings I've ever skied. It really is stunning. I love Telluride the town too. Just so laid back and cool. I love Crested Butte and Jackson too, but it's been a long time since I've been to Crested Butte. I'm sure it's changed drastically.

Sure there are a lot of poseurs, but I think Aspen is fun too. A lot of people don't know that Snowmass (part of the same lift ticket as Aspen, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk) is bigger than all of them combined. It's a great mountain. Never any lines and massive amounts of great trails.

I love the West.

I love the Telluride area.. I don't ski but I think that is a beautiful area. I almost bought some land in that area in the early 80s. There wasn't much in that area then. We were driving up the road to Telluride and came around a bend and they were moving a herd of sheep to somewhere else and the road was full of sheep so the only choice we had was to sit there and let the sheep go around us. Luckily they were going in the opposite direction to what we were or we might have been stuck for a while.

Reactions: Zizkov
I don't understand this at all...other than Trump is a raging racist.

I am normally very optimistic about the future. But there is one item that makes me question my optimism, DACA. 75% of Republicans and 92% of Democrats want a pathway to citizenship. Here is an issue with OVERWHELMING support that cannot get passed. If we can't even pass the simple long-hanging fruit, what chance do the complicated issues have?

The system isn't just broken, as to me something that is broken just doesn't work. The system is actively producing harmful results. I am not sure what future event can change the trajectory we are on, we have a lot of inertia built up heading toward a cliff.

Dems were willing to put Hunter Biden up if Republicans would let Bolton testify. They said no. It's pretty obvious which side is more flagrantly shameless. They have absolutely ZERO respect for our republic. And all their screaming about the Constitution. They would use it as toilet paper if it was a "win" for them.

Sick, disgusting, unprincipled, liars. I just cant believe that not a single one will stand up to the clueless buffoon in the White House. And they're going to drag us all down with the ship.

You just need one word to describe the current Republican leadership: shameless

Dems were willing to put Hunter Biden up if Republicans would let Bolton testify. They said no. It's pretty obvious which side is more flagrantly shameless. They have absolutely ZERO respect for our republic. And all their screaming about the Constitution. They would use it as toilet paper if it was a "win" for them.

Sick, disgusting, unprincipled, liars. I just cant believe that not a single one will stand up to the clueless buffoon in the White House. And they're going to drag us all down with the ship.
And the tRumpbots will be cheering them on as they do.

'Murica.

And the smug idiot in the White House is getting closer and closer to what he wants...a dictatorship where he enriches himself to the level of the Russian Oligarchs by hijacking the United States. The Turtle is in complete control of this sh!t show.

That wasn't going to happen unless the Dems were stoopider than I think they are. Biden would be under subpoena and forced to testify or take the 5th, while Bolton would show up and then claim he's unable to answer any questions because "executive privilege". Anyone who thinks that Bolton or Mulvaney or Pompeo or any of those clowns would actually respond to questioning doesn't understand how these criminals operate.

Reactions: Bill4411
That wasn't going to happen unless the Dems were stoopider than I think they are. Biden would be under subpoena and forced to testify or take the 5th, while Bolton would show up and then claim he's unable to answer any questions because "executive privilege". Anyone who thinks that Bolton or Mulvaney or Pompeo or any of those clowns would actually respond to questioning doesn't understand how these criminals operate.

Executive privilege is an important if not vital aspect of government at every level, not just at the presidential level. All courts carefully protect it. In the case of impeachment, IMO, the impeachment case must be made with evidence external to the inner workings of the office of president. In this case, the evidence sought by violating the privilege is cumulative only. Separation of powers also is important to maintain.

That said, if Trump were subject to criminal proceedings after leaving office, the courts recognize some exceptions to EP which would apply.

IMO, the impeachment case must be made with evidence external to the inner workings of the office of president. In this case, the evidence sought by violating the privilege is cumulative only. Separation of powers also is important to maintain.
That's baloney. The Nixon impeachment dealt with the inner workings of the WH. SCOTUS unanimously ruled against Nixon in his attempt not to comply with the subpoena for the WH tapes.

That's baloney. The Nixon impeachment dealt with the inner workings of the WH. SCOTUS unanimously ruled against Nixon in his attempt not to comply with the subpoena for the WH tapes.

You don’t understand the holding in US v. Nixon.

I think (just my opinion) that it's the most beautiful mountain and surroundings I've ever skied. It really is stunning. I love Telluride the town too. Just so laid back and cool. I love Crested Butte and Jackson too, but it's been a long time since I've been to Crested Butte. I'm sure it's changed drastically.

Sure there are a lot of poseurs, but I think Aspen is fun too. A lot of people don't know that Snowmass (part of the same lift ticket as Aspen, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk) is bigger than all of them combined. It's a great mountain. Never any lines and massive amounts of great trails.

I love the West.
I love the west too... Since my wife is from CO we've spent a lot of time there. Was there this last summer. Was in Crested Butte a few years ago and I also loved it there.

You just need one word to describe the current Republican leadership: shameless
Team Trump is getting heat for the bald faced lying about Pubs not being allowed in the closed House Intelligence Committee hearings. Not that it will matter.

ADVERTISEMENT