ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody had a good experience with replacement windows?

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
Looking to replace SopeHouse windows (almost all double-hung), and frankly looking for solid information about the quality of replacement windows is as easy trying to research mattresses. We're looking for what generally passes for a standard window these days, with double panes, low E Argon gas between them, probably a solar coating, foam insulation in the extruded sections and a "Super Spacer" in between the panes.

The manufacturers that seem to rise to the top consistently in the reviews, consumer comments and contractor comments are Okna (the 800) and Soft-lite (Elements or Imperial LS).

But installation companies are trying to push all sorts of windows, some of which I've never heard of . . . Vytex, ViWinTech (6000), Sunrise, Alside (Mezzo), Silverline, Simonton . . . and of course the big names, Andersen, Pella and Marvin.

Anybody had good luck - really good luck - with a particular replacement window?

Thanks in advance . . . .

Looking to replace SopeHouse windows (almost all double-hung), and frankly looking for solid information about the quality of replacement windows is as easy trying to research mattresses. We're looking for what generally passes for a standard window these days, with double panes, low E Argon gas between them, probably a solar coating, foam insulation in the extruded sections and a "Super Spacer" in between the panes.

The manufacturers that seem to rise to the top consistently in the reviews, consumer comments and contractor comments are Okna (the 800) and Soft-lite (Elements or Imperial LS).

But installation companies are trying to push all sorts of windows, some of which I've never heard of . . . Vytex, ViWinTech (6000), Sunrise, Alside (Mezzo), Silverline, Simonton . . . and of course the big names, Andersen, Pella and Marvin.

Anybody had good luck - really good luck - with a particular replacement window?

Prepare for sticker shock.

Maybe ask in AOTF?

Not necessarily what is good, buy Pell and Anderson are mostly mass produced over priced garbage.

I'd say do an Angies List search of reputable contractors that are willing to work with whichever brand YOU choose to be best.

The manufacturer may have a local list for you too.

Don't bust your butt with all the research

I replaced all the windows in our cabin earlier this year. I asked a friend who is recently retired from a glass company, but still does some work for them, if he could do it. He said yeah. I asked him what he'd recommend as a good choice understanding that I didn't intend to fund his retirement plan. He made a recommendation and I said that's fine. That was the extent of my "research". We are happy with our new windows.

Not necessarily what is good, buy Pell and Anderson are mostly mass produced over priced garbage.

I'd say do an Angies List search of reputable contractors that are willing to work with whichever brand YOU choose to be best.

The manufacturer may have a local list for you too.

Agree on the Pella/Andersen comment.

Did the Angie's list review and have narrowed to three contractors, each of whom deals with either Okna or Soft-light or both.

Manufacturers' websites seem to have carved up the area into proximities, and only provide one vendor for this particular zip code.

Good stuff . . . great minds and all that! Thanks!

Reactions: dahldc
Don't bust your butt with all the research

I replaced all the windows in our cabin earlier this year. I asked a friend who is recently retired from a glass company, but still does some work for them, if he could do it. He said yeah. I asked him what he'd recommend as a good choice understanding that I didn't intend to fund his retirement plan. He made a recommendation and I said that's fine. That was the extent of my "research". We are happy with our new windows.

You mean you didn't research the U-factor, the SHG Coefficient, cfm leakage, visibility transference and condensation resistance ratings, plus the number of consumer/contractor complaints regarding glass seal failure?

I'm shocked.

Anyway, all my friends in the glass business are still working . . . and now I have a lot of very close friends all of a sudden. Hence the research . . . .

Of all my years in manufacturing (and now sales of those manufactured parts) I am still amazed at how many companies, use the exact same components, from the exact same suppliers, to assemble the exact same product. Put a little marketing around some data that the other guy didn't use, and market it up 40%. I love selling to the stupid Merican consumer.

Of all my years in manufacturing (and now sales of those manufactured parts) I am still amazed at how many companies, use the exact same components, from the exact same suppliers, to assemble the exact same product. Put a little marketing around some data that the other guy didn't use, and market it up 40%. I love selling to the stupid Merican consumer.

Are you a Trump guy? :D

Got that t-shirt . . . figuring on about $700 per installed window to budget, and looking to negotiate down from there. Fortunately, we have a small house and relatively few windows.

I paid about $3500 to replace 8 large double casement windows maybe 7 years back, including one that was very large (custom). Don't recall what the manufacturer was, but I researched at the time and they had no red flags that concerned me. They've been fine since then.

There is massive markup on these things. I'd never pay $700 per for double hung. Talk to some smaller, local installers. Don't over think it....most I'm sure will work out just fine.

Build a cave.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I just finished ( well almost) building my new house. Installed 13, 3'x5' vinyl, double hung, both upper and lower sash slide and tilt. Argon filled ( I say BS, there is no way of ever verifying it's still there), with this cool low E film.
After a little negotiating with my mad skills, $118 each, I installed myself. Manufacturer is Strouse.
The low E "film" is honestly really nice and it works, so far, 1000x better than I expected. During the day, the house looks like it has tinted windows, low rider style.
Keep reading reviews, but remember, those $700-$1,000 window companies only have to sell the same item 1 out of 8 times to stay in business. Don't be an easy mark for us sales guys.

Reactions: Sope Creek

Don't know where you live but I have an Amish client who manufactures windows. They don't mass produce the windows. They build the windows to each customers specs after receiving the order. They've built an impressive business. I have another client that installs them at an outrageously cheap price.

I just finished ( well almost) building my new house. Installed 13, 3'x5' vinyl, double hung, both upper and lower sash slide and tilt. Argon filled ( I say BS, there is no way of ever verifying it's still there),

Depending on where you live, there is a fairly easy way to tell if you still have argon. In winter in northern climates, you'll get an oval shaped area of condensation on the pane if the argon has escaped. With the argon gone, the cold air and warm air mix on the inner pane and create moisture.

Happened to us. All (3) were Andersen casement windows. We replaced every window in our house with Pellas years ago and haven't had the problem since.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Who needs glass?

Put bars up and make them betting windows. Think creatively. Think of the ROI.

Who needs glass?

Put bars up and make them betting windows. Think creatively. Think of the ROI.

Competition already's set up next door . . . their enforcers are formidable enough looking without getting too close . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT