ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody ever caught a foul ball at a major league game?

plaxico80

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2002
Friday night, Marlins vs. Pirates. I've been to hundreds of games and never caught a foul ball. I'm there with my wife and 9 year old. We're sitting about 10 feet behind the Pirates' dugout, first base side when Josh Harrison hits a sky high foul ball DIRECTLY at me.

To make a long story short, I got two hands on the damn ball but it spun out of my grasp and into the lap of the dude sitting in front of me. Yes, I'm sure I looked like an idiot. He was a nice dude and gave the ball to my little girl.

My wife just looked at me after I dropped the ball and said; "Have another beer, Chris".

Any of you fools ever caught one on the fly?

I caught on the fly a foul ball off the bat of Lenny Harris at old Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, in 1995 or so.

I was sitting in the upper deck, 3rd base side, in the front row. It came right at me. I caught it with both hands (no glove) and trapped it against my chest. The ball has a black smudge from his black-stained bat.

Reactions: plaxico80
Never had one hit that close to me, but a lifelong buddy of mine has hardly ever gone to the ballpark without coming away with a ball, whether it be in batting practice or the game. The ball always finds him, and he's 6-6 with a long wing span. I remain ready though, if only to save the beer I'm usually holding!

didn't catch it on the fly, (didn't have a chance), but did come up with one as a kid.

hit by Tim McCarver, pitched by Juan Marichal, old old Bush Stadium. (Sportsman's Park).

Reactions: plaxico80 and kkott
giphy.gif
Never had one hit that close to me, but a lifelong buddy of mine has hardly ever gone to the ballpark without coming away with a ball, whether it be in batting practice or the game. The ball always finds him, and he's 6-6 with a long wing span. I remain ready though, if only to save the beer I'm usually holding!

Reactions: Morrison
Friday night, Marlins vs. Pirates. I've been to hundreds of games and never caught a foul ball. I'm there with my wife and 9 year old. We're sitting about 10 feet behind the Pirates' dugout, first base side when Josh Harrison hits a sky high foul ball DIRECTLY at me.

To make a long story short, I got two hands on the damn ball but it spun out of my grasp and into the lap of the dude sitting in front of me. Yes, I'm sure I looked like an idiot. He was a nice dude and gave the ball to my little girl.

My wife just looked at me after I dropped the ball and said; "Have another beer, Chris".

My son and his best friend went to a Cardinals/Phillies game. It was Mother's Day and my son is a Cards fan and his friend is a Phillies fan. In a memorable game that the Cards lost 20-2 (not sure of the Cards score), his friend caught a foul ball on the 3rd base side.

The crowd behind them cheered until he turned around and everyone saw his Phillies shirt. Cheers turned to boos. My son was happy. His friend had lost his mom and one reason for the trip was to forget it was Mother's Day. Maybe he had some help!?

Reactions: 76-1 and plaxico80
My son and his best friend went to a Cardinals/Phillies game. It was Mother's Day and my son is a Cards fan and his friend is a Phillies fan. In a memorable game that the Cards lost 20-2 (not sure of the Cards score), his friend caught a foul ball on the 3rd base side.

The crowd behind them cheered until he turned around and everyone saw his Phillies shirt. Cheers turned to boos. My son was happy. His friend had lost his mom and one reason for the trip was to forget it was Mother's Day. Maybe he had some help!?

AWESOME STORY.

Caught a bag of peanuts that the vendor tossed my way. Does that count for anything?

Took a road trip to Tigers stadium before it closed, sat way up high in left field bleachers. During BP, a ball came real close to us but a bad hop made someone else happy, not me. *sniff*

Not a major league story, but I attended a minor league game when I wasn't paying enough attention. I was looking around the stadium when a line drive foul ball hit the seat next to me. Some wise ass in the back yelled, "hey, that'll wake you up buddy!" I kept wondering how long I would have needed to eat oatmeal if that hit me in the mouth. At least I got the baseball!

Great line by your wife!!

I actually did catch one.. April 27, 1998 Cubs at San Diego...I had been given some free seats and took a buddy.. Really great seats...down the first base line, first row....Kevin Tapani was pitching for the Cubs and Quilvio Veras a left handed batter was up for the Pads... Veras got out in front of one and lined it right at me...Instinctively I put up my right hand and amazingly it stuck right in my hand... Easily the best athletic feat of my life. I gave my buddy a high five and turned around and bowed to the crowd.

The best part was that the local tv station would replay all the games back then at 11pm. I went home and recorded it so I have it for posterity sake.

Never caught one at a Major League game, but caught one at an Indianapolis Indians game in the old Bush Stadium by a major league player. Vince Coleman was on rehab assignment and fouled one off. All I did was move my glove up to protect my head and caught it. I didn't even really move in my seat. He literally hit it right too me. I still have the ball, signed by him.

I've also caught a flying bat at an Indians game as well that also came from a major league player on rehab assignment. Jay Bruce let it go and everyone moved of course by the bat bounced off the 2nd row seat and right too me on the 5th row. He gave me a signed bat, though not the same one he let go.

I was like you until a Reds/Cubs game in Cincy in September 2015 when I got 2 in a span of 10 minutes. I hadn't been within 20 feet of one before that or since.

Never snagged one in a major league game. I did take a fast pitch softball foul to the face as a kid. It left a mark.

McHoop

A few years ago during BP at Petco Park my daughters (8 & 6) were with the other kids in the outfield fence sandpit. A BP ball gets tossed over the fence and my oldest beats the older boys for the ball. Instead of keeping it, she turns and gives it to her younger sister (my wife starts to tear up).

About half way thru the Mariners-Padres game, a line drive screams toward the third base line where we were sitting. The ball nearly hits my oldest daughter and an older guy a couple seats over catches it in his mitt.

In one motion while catching the ball he puts the mitt in front of my oldest daughter signaling for her to take the ball. Guy got a crazy ovation in our section. It was a great teaching moment for both kids that good things happen to you when you do good onto others.

A few years ago during BP at Petco Park my daughters (8 & 6) were with the other kids in the outfield fence sandpit. A BP ball gets tossed over the fence and my oldest beats the older boys for the ball. Instead of keeping it, she turns and gives it to her younger sister (my wife starts to tear up).

About half way thru the Mariners-Padres game, a line drive screams toward the third base line where we were sitting. The ball nearly hits my oldest daughter and an older guy a couple seats over catches it in his mitt.

In one motion while catching the ball he puts the mitt in front of my oldest daughter signaling for her to take the ball. Guy got a crazy ovation in our section. It was a great teaching moment for both kids that good things happen to you when you do good onto others.

THOSE STORIES ARE INCREDIBLE.

I caught a wild throw from the shortstop at Wrigley when I was a kid. I was sitting right behind first base.
Haven't caught a foul or a Homer though

No,but my cousin came close at a Reds game back in 85. He actually shoved a kid to get a shot at it. I said, "What the #$%$ are you doing?"

I'm at Fenway right now, and my buddy just one handed one. We are behind Home plate about 20 rows up.
It rolled up the net, off an I beam straight to him. He played ball in college and we are doing what he calls a bucket list thing fir him.

It could not have been an more perfect!

Reactions: kkott
Don't show pictures of her in about 10 yrs,especially with this group. I've got two daughters. They bring us a lot of happiness. I love my two sons,but my girls have my heart.

Oh, I won't be showing any photos in 10 years, Van. She's gonna be a beauty (thank GOD she got her mom's looks....and brains).

Agreed, like you my daughter has my heart, so I know exactly what you mean!

I'm at Fenway right now, and my buddy just one handed one. We are behind Home plate about 20 rows up.
It rolled up the net, off an I beam straight to him. He played ball in college and we are doing what he calls a bucket list thing fir him.

It could not have been an more perfect!

AMAZING.

Makes me feel like a total butterfingers!

I caught a wild throw from the shortstop at Wrigley when I was a kid. I was sitting right behind first base.
Haven't caught a foul or a Homer though
Had to have been from Shawon Dunston. That's awesome.

About 15 years ago my brother and I were at Wrigley. Our seats were crap so we snuck into the really good seats behind the visitor's dugout. Griffey hit back to back foul balls right at us. I didn't try for either one because I didn't want to put down my Old Style. My brother tried for both. Missed them. But almost broke his hand. Dumbass.

My family has held season tix to the Chicago White Sox since the 1940's, now currently paid for, managed, and held by my little brother and I. Been going to dozens of games a year my entire life (outside the 4 year stint I spent in Bloomington). I've had some solid success as I've caught 3 lifetime foul balls and one half of a broken bat.

All off the fouls balls were off the bats of visiting players, all of whom were also great players (one sure-fire future HOFer) - Jim Thome when he played for the Phillies, Alfonso Soriano as a Yankee, and Mo Vaughn of the Red Sox.

The broken bat I "caught" was 6 years back when I took a razor sharp shredded half barrel bat from Paul Konerko directly into the shoulder. With the bases loaded and 1 out, Konerko pops one straight up while simultaneously shredding his bat, a bat that splits off and lasers straight into my right shoulder, ricochets off my now ex-ex-ex-girlfriend sitting to directly to my right, then straight into my lap.

Of course, I didn't actually witness any of this since my eyes were naturally following the trajectory of the ball (a sky high pop up)....but I sure as shit felt it!

almost had another one one time, but one of idiot players ruined it for me.

2003 at Wrigley for an NLCS against the Marlins.

Marlin's Castillo fouls one off right to me, but just as i'm bringing it in, the Cubs Alou reaches in and knocks it away from me at the last second.

I loaded trucks at UPS at night in college in the late 80s and had a lot of afternoon free time. Still had alot after spanking it most every afternoon and so I watched a ton of Cubs baseball with Harry Carey. I remember a game where a Dad and Son were in the bleachers and the kid ends up with an opposing players home run. True to the Cub's Bleacher Bums, everyone starts shouting for him to throw it back, and it was late innings, so I'm sure folks had a good buzz going and were being "insistent". The poor kid is probably 7-8 and of course all he ever wanted was to get a ball. Now he has it and everyone's shouting at him to throw it on the field, and his Dad is feeling the pressure and tells him to. With tears streaming down his face, the kid tosses it to wild cheers from the Bums. The kid collapses in his seat dejectedly crying and his mitt falls open in his lap. All of a sudden the Bums around him start filling his mitt with cash. I bet he ended up with a couple hundred bucks. Seemed to wipe out the pain of the lost ball. Even though I'm not a big Cub's fan or baseball fan for that matter, made me a bit of a Cub's fan that day, I'll have to admit..

Reactions: smokingun33

Schwarber did (of course the Cubs lost after 18 innings, so RIP their bullpen)

Reactions: kkott
I almost had one at Wrigley field one time, but I dropped it.

I don't go back there anymore, and the publicity has been rough.

Steve-bartman-the-catch.jpg3_.jpg

I missed my shining moment during yesterday's Reds/Giants affair.
18342633_10109086292184489_2098095294618476364_n.jpg

I'm sitting in the left-field bleachers with my buds, when all the sudden Zach Cozart blasts one right to me. I tried to find the ball, but the Sun was blinding me. I put up my hand to shield the Sun, but still couldn't locate the ball. Everyone around me is standing, getting ready to catch it. At the last second, I put up my other arm to shield myself from impact while the guy in front of me dove at it, and missed.

vpc08zq.jpg

The FIRST PLACE REDS won 4-0 (CGSO) on Sunday, completing the sweep of the Giants, winning 13-3 and 14-2 on Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:

I covered the 1976 World Series for the newspaper and was seated along the first base line at Cincinnati, but I didn't catch a foul ball during those two games. Unfortunately, the Reds swept the Yankees in four games, so I only got to cover the two games at River Front Stadium.

It was really cold outside those two evenings and I worried about a line drive foul ball getting one of us. Fortunately, it didn't happen.

My wife blocked one from hitting my step-daughter in the face when she was about 7 or 8....shattered her wrist, but saved the girls face.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT