ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody buy weed legally yet?

What's a normal dose for someone just looking to chill for a few hours?
Tolerance does seem to vary for some, but if you aren't a regular user, I'd start with 5mg and see what that does. The other thing with edibles is that they are slow reacting, and again it varies by the person. I'd try 5mg to start and see how that goes. If it wasn't enough, then the next time try 10. I think it's really hard when you are trying to learn what works for you to supplement it later and know for sure what worked because it's so slow acting. I generally start to feel something after about an hour, but it can range from 45-90 minutes at times. Guessing what I ate and when plays a big role. For me with the edibles I've been using I do 5mg (half a gummy) if I'm doing something and just want a nice little complimentary buzz and 10 if I want to chill, like for a fire. I gave my girlfriend 10 one time before dinner and she'd not eaten all day and she literally passed out at the restaurant before our food arrived; as in fainted to the floor. It spooked me, as I'd never seen anyone have that reaction to what I saw as a mild dose. But, she'd not eaten pretty much all day and she weighs about 70 lbs less than me.

Last edited:
I gave my girlfriend 10 one time before dinner and she'd not eaten all day and she literally passed out at the restaurant before our food arrived; as in fainted to the floor. It spooked me, as I'd never seen anyone have that reaction to what I saw as a mild dose. But, she'd not eaten pretty much all day and she ways about 70 lbs less than me.
I may have told this story before, but a friend relayed something similar. Ski trip out in Colorado. First night and everyone is getting into the condo that afternoon and they decide to eat some gummies and go to dinner. One of the guys is massive, 6'6" around 280. He ends up eating multiples because "This isn't doing anything for me". As they're waiting at the hostess station, he falls over backwards and is out. They start apologizing and the hostess says not to worry about it. It happens all the time with people who are visiting from out of state.

I may have told this story before, but a friend relayed something similar. Ski trip out in Colorado. First night and everyone is getting into the condo that afternoon and they decide to eat some gummies and go to dinner. One of the guys is massive, 6'6" around 280. He ends up eating multiples because "This isn't doing anything for me". As they're waiting at the hostess station, he falls over backwards and is out. They start apologizing and the hostess says not to worry about it. It happens all the time with people who are visiting from out of state.
She'd driven over from Raleigh and I think hadn't eaten and was dehydrated. It was just so unexpected, because she seemed fine, we ordered dinner and then I look over and she's slumping and literally just slid out of her chair like liquid. I jumped over and caught her head from hitting the floor, but then other folks are asking if she was OK and I didn't know what to say. Never heard of that before, nor ever experienced it with anyone. I guessed at the cause, but I couldn't say "no worries, she just ate a gummy!" I said she was just flushed from not eating, but she was fine on the way home and after.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

first time i ever did edibles, was when my roommate's gorgeous friend made him some brownies and brought them over.

they were huge, i ate one, nothing.

so i ate another. and maybe a third one.

we went out clubbing that night, and it really hit in.

come home after the night out and i hit the sack.

woke up the next morning still really high, and had to go to work.

edibles actually are a terrible idea for any non experienced toker, and not that great for experienced tokers.

that said, there is a catch 22 in "legal" states, that affects non legal states just as much.

while it's legal in legal states, it isn't legal to do publicly.

so in all the public places where being "high" is great, and much better than an alcohol buzz, like a restaurant or ball game or concert or night club or movie or just on a walk or on the golf course, an edible is your only option to doing it in the car on the way, being overly bold, or doing without.

legal states need to ban edibles, and allow for toking in public where tobacco smoking is allowed, and allow businesses to have an area set aside where tokers can toke.

and don't kid yourself, every mall would have such an area set aside, as i guarantee you sales would increase.

and non legal states need to legalize it, and stop forcing those who prefer weed to booze to either do it in their car on the way, or do edibles.

or worse yet, be pushed into doing alcohol instead.

get rid of edibles, they can be bad news, but get rid of the catch 22 need for them in doing so.

Last edited:
They honestly didn't look that bad to me. House of Dank has 100mg thc gummies for $8. But I have no idea what weed costs on the street.

that would equate to $80 a gm, so perhaps we have a different idea of "expensive".

that said, obviously an edible should be more expensive than just bud.

that said, i've already expressed my thoughts on edibles more than once in this thread.

edibles exit only because weed can't be toked legally in public, even in legal states.

and the down side of edibles will be exhibit #1 in non legal states continuing to not legalize smoke.

the whole war on weed smokers goes against everything this country is supposed to stand for, and those who cry "liberty and freedom" all day every day, are the ones leading the beyond absurd war against it's own citizenry.

Ban edibles? I didn't peg you for a drug warrior statist POS who wants a govt made up of a few people dictating what the rest of us can ingest.

Reactions: kkott
I may have told this story before, but it happened during freshman orientation week my freshman year at IU. The Indiana Daily Student had a party and the sports editor suggested I attend it so I could become familiar with the other members of the IDS.

There was another girl from Columbus living in McNutt Quad and she had been the editor of our high school newspaper our senior year. When I told her about the party, she said she would like to attend it because she was interested in being on the IDS. I asked the sports editor and he said that was fine.

Because neither the girl nor I had vehicles and the party was at an apartment off campus, the sports editor stopped by McNutt to pick us up that evening. He then drove us to the apartment so we could interact with people and eat snacks.

About an hour after we had been there, the girl from my high school began reeling and I grabbed her before she fell on the floor. I discovered she had been eating brownies and they had marijuana in them. Neither she nor I knew that and it made me mad.

As the sports editor and I helped her walk out of the apartment, I informed the host I was worried about her. I also told him that I was coming back after him if something bad happened to her.

The sports editor and I loaded her in his car and headed back to McNutt Quad. The two of us then helped her up the stairs to her room.

Ironically, her boyfriend from Purdue had shown up unexpectedly and got mad at us when he saw us bringing her to her room. Because he was upset, we merely gave him custody of her and left without telling him what happened to her. He had been a senior at our high school when I was a sophomore or junior, but I wasn't a bit scared of him. I just didn't want to complicate matters by having a fight with him.

Her boyfriend saw me the next day in the dining room at our dorm and came over to greet me. He then shook hands with me and thanked me for rescuing his girlfriend.

Approximately seven years later, I applied for a marketing job at Cummins Engine Company. The head of Human Resources knew me from golf and said it looked like I had the job because he was going to recommend they hire me. I was thrilled because it was going to be a great job!

A couple of days later, the HR Director called me. He said the Marketing Director didn't want me because I wasn't qualified for the job. The HR Director, who disagreed with the Marketing Director, suggested I contact him and set an appointment to meet with him. When he told me the Marketing Director's name, I instantly realized why he didn't want to hire me. It was the guy I threatened for putting marijuana in the brownies at IU.

I began selling office equipment about seven years later and received a phone call from Cummins' Marketing Director one day. He had resigned from Cummins and was starting his own marketing firm in Columbus. He wanted to hire me for a sales position at his new company, but I declined it. He then made arrangements to meet with my wife for lunch, offered her an administrative job and she turned him down. He then started buying as much office equipment from me as possible.

Why am I sharing this anecdote? It is an example of why I don't want marijuana legalized in the state of Indiana. I'm also afraid people will smoke it while driving and will have serious wrecks as a result. I see no advantages to the legalization of marijuana.

I may have told this story before, but it happened during freshman orientation week my freshman year at IU. The Indiana Daily Student had a party and the sports editor suggested I attend it so I could become familiar with the other members of the IDS.

There was another girl from Columbus living in McNutt Quad and she had been the editor of our high school newspaper our senior year. When I told her about the party, she said she would like to attend it because she was interested in being on the IDS. I asked the sports editor and he said that was fine.

Because neither the girl nor I had vehicles and the party was at an apartment off campus, the sports editor stopped by McNutt to pick us up that evening. He then drove us to the apartment so we could interact with people and eat snacks.

About an hour after we had been there, the girl from my high school began reeling and I grabbed her before she fell on the floor. I discovered she had been eating brownies and they had marijuana in them. Neither she nor I knew that and it made me mad.

As the sports editor and I helped her walk out of the apartment, I informed the host I was worried about her. I also told him that I was coming back after him if something bad happened to her.

The sports editor and I loaded her in his car and headed back to McNutt Quad. The two of us then helped her up the stairs to her room.

Ironically, her boyfriend from Purdue had shown up unexpectedly and got mad at us when he saw us bringing her to her room. Because he was upset, we merely gave him custody of her and left without telling him what happened to her. He had been a senior at our high school when I was a sophomore or junior, but I wasn't a bit scared of him. I just didn't want to complicate matters by having a fight with him.

Her boyfriend saw me the next day in the dining room at our dorm and came over to greet me. He then shook hands with me and thanked me for rescuing his girlfriend.

Approximately seven years later, I applied for a marketing job at Cummins Engine Company. The head of Human Resources knew me from golf and said it looked like I had the job because he was going to recommend they hire me. I was thrilled because it was going to be a great job!

A couple of days later, the HR Director called me. He said the Marketing Director didn't want me because I wasn't qualified for the job. The HR Director, who disagreed with the Marketing Director, suggested I contact him and set an appointment to meet with him. When he told me the Marketing Director's name, I instantly realized why he didn't want to hire me. It was the guy I threatened for putting marijuana in the brownies at IU.

I began selling office equipment about seven years later and received a phone call from Cummins' Marketing Director one day. He had resigned from Cummins and was starting his own marketing firm in Columbus. He wanted to hire me for a sales position at his new company, but I declined it. He then made arrangements to meet with my wife for lunch, offered her an administrative job and she turned him down. He then started buying as much office equipment from me as possible.

Why am I sharing this anecdote? It is an example of why I don't want marijuana legalized in the state of Indiana. I'm also afraid people will smoke it while driving and will have serious wrecks as a result. I see no advantages to the legalization of marijuana.
I once white knighted a girl. She f*cked someone else a week later. Lesson learned.

100 mg isn't alot ....

100 MG isn't a lot?

What planet are you living on? I've been using edibles for four years so I've got a pretty good tolerance. For me to really wind down and be good, I'll take 20-30 MG. 10 is if I'm just out and about doing things, nothing important.

100 would be like, can't walk, can't talk, can't lift your head, want to eat everything in sight kind of night.

I would want to die if I ate 100 mg.

Reactions: kkott

I’d rather have marijuana legal than alcohol. The vast majority of cannabis users do it in their home in small groups and it’s not a drug that makes you eager to be social or to drive. In fact, being high discourages you from wanting to get behind the wheel. Also, it’s much safer in the long run. Drinking everyday will eventually kill you. Getting high everyday won’t. Of course, like any drug you need to use in moderation, but most people if they do too much will just fall asleep and they won’t feel sick from a hangover the next day.

Reactions: kkott and larsIU
100 MG isn't a lot?

What planet are you living on? I've been using edibles for four years so I've got pretty good tolerance. For me to really wind down and be good, I'll take 20-30 MG. 10 is if I'm just out and about doing things, nothing important.

100 would be like, can't walk, can't talk, can't lift your head, want to eat everything in sight kind of night.

go sit at the little kids table during thanksgiving, pal

you can't die from 100 mg or any amount and chances are you don't have the mental capacity to handle cannabis in general so stick to white claws and fk off

go sit at the little kids table during thanksgiving, pal

you can't die from 100 mg or any amount and chances are you don't have the mental capacity to handle cannabis in general so stick to white claws and fk off

giphy.gif

first time i ever did edibles, was when my roommate's gorgeous friend made him some brownies and brought them over.

they were huge, i ate one, nothing.

so i ate another. and maybe a third one.

we went out clubbing that night, and it really hit in.

come home after the night out and i hit the sack.

woke up the next morning still really high, and had to go to work.

edibles actually are a terrible idea for any non experienced toker, and not that great for experienced tokers.

that said, there is a catch 22 in "legal" states, that affects non legal states just as much.

while it's legal in legal states, it isn't legal to do publicly.

so in all the public places where being "high" is great, and much better than an alcohol buzz, like a restaurant or ball game or concert or night club or movie or just on a walk or on the golf course, an edible is your only option to doing it in the car on the way, being overly bold, or doing without.

legal states need to ban edibles, and allow for toking in public where tobacco smoking is allowed, and allow businesses to have an area set aside where tokers can toke.

and don't kid yourself, every mall would have such an area set aside, as i guarantee you sales would increase.

and non legal states need to legalize it, and stop forcing those who prefer weed to booze to either do it in their car on the way, or do edibles.

or worse yet, be pushed into doing alcohol instead.

get rid of edibles, they can be bad news, but get rid of the catch 22 need for them in doing so.
Ban edibles? You've got your logic all twisted up, my friend. The problem is you took edibles without having any idea how potent they were, or what was in them, how it was grown, or what it would do. All resulting because weed/edibles are illegal. When they are legal, you go to a dispensary, like a grown up, and have a grown up conversation with an employee who digs weed and will help you pick out the right type of pot for what you want it to do, and you'll know how it will react and how potent it is and how much you are consuming. Edibles are no different, but you do have to be patient and take the time to see how your body reacts to them.

You took homemade brownies and probably had no idea how much was in it, how potent it was or what strain it was. The fact that they were "big" is really irrelevant, as it's effect on you is determined by a tiny amount of what you consumed and could have been contained in a small pill. All that's corrected by legalizing it all and letting consumers decide what works best for them, armed with the knowledge of the type and it's effects, dosage, how it was grown, and how it will be consumed. Marijuana has tons of beneficial uses from treating anxiety, depression, appetite, pain, insomnia, etc... There is no reasonable argument for it being illegal and alcohol, which has few if any beneficial attributes (aside from making it easier to get laid!) related to health, being legal. It's nutty.

t9jcjqsawtwwwnnj3mda.png

100 MG isn't a lot?

What planet are you living on? I've been using edibles for four years so I've got a pretty good tolerance. For me to really wind down and be good, I'll take 20-30 MG. 10 is if I'm just out and about doing things, nothing important.

Lightweight.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Well then I'm getting misinformation from someone in this thread.
it's a lot. I suppose it depends on the strain, but I think the vast majority of edibles are 5mg or 10 mg. 100mg is generally the entire package of twenty 5mg edibles or ten 10mg. I don't know anyone who's ever taken 100mg of the types of gummies/edibles I've had. I'd say the range is 5mg for me if I just want a light buzz or my 120 lb GF, up to about 40 mg from the gal I buy them from who stays stoned and takes edibles or smokes multiple times per day. I've had some that weren't as potent and I might need 10-20 mg for the same range of effects (light buzz to a good chill buzz) with some I've had, but 100mg is a lot. It might not kill you, but I don't think anyone would take that much "for fun".

that would equate to $80 a gm, so perhaps we have a different idea of "expensive".

that said, obviously an edible should be more expensive than just bud.

that said, i've already expressed my thoughts on edibles more than once in this thread.

edibles exit only because weed can't be toked legally in public, even in legal states.

and the down side of edibles will be exhibit #1 in non legal states continuing to not legalize smoke.

the whole war on weed smokers goes against everything this country is supposed to stand for, and those who cry "liberty and freedom" all day every day, are the ones leading the beyond absurd war against it's own citizenry.
i'll always prefer edibles. I smoked so much when I was younger it irritates my throat now. Your problem was lack of information and knowledge, not edibles.

Ban edibles? You've got your logic all twisted up, my friend. The problem is you took edibles without having any idea how potent they were, or what was in them, how it was grown, or what it would do. All resulting because weed/edibles are illegal. When they are legal, you go to a dispensary, like a grown up, and have a grown up conversation with an employee who digs weed and will help you pick out the right type of pot for what you want it to do, and you'll know how it will react and how potent it is and how much you are consuming. Edibles are no different, but you do have to be patient and take the time to see how your body reacts to them.

You took homemade brownies and probably had no idea how much was in it, how potent it was or what strain it was. The fact that they were "big" is really irrelevant, as it's effect on you is determined by a tiny amount of what you consumed and could have been contained in a small pill. All that's corrected by legalizing it all and letting consumers decide what works best for them, armed with the knowledge of the type and it's effects, dosage, how it was grown, and how it will be consumed. Marijuana has tons of beneficial uses from treating anxiety, depression, appetite, pain, insomnia, etc... There is no reasonable argument for it being illegal and alcohol, which has few if any beneficial attributes (aside from making it easier to get laid!) related to health, being legal. It's nutty.

t9jcjqsawtwwwnnj3mda.png

it was the 1970s.

that said, totally irrelevant.

edibles exist today, only to circumvent the catch 22 of not being able to toke publicly anywhere anymore. (at least we could openly toke at concerts back then thank God, before the Taliban take over under Reagan).

burning one at a concert was one of the great joys in life. and nobody gave a hoot back then.

but no amount of labeling will ever enable dosing 1/1000th as well as just toking, which also gives instant effect and feedback, rather than having to wait 45 mins or an hr to find out if you dosed exactly as you wished, with absolutely no viable remedy either way if you didn't.

and as i stated before, "edibles', and the dosing downsides no matter how labeled they are, will give the ammo for Taliban states like Indiana to remain Taliban states.

and the last thing the Taliban states need is any ammo at all.

that said, as long as any states ban all pubic use, said banning itself solely creates the need for edibles at all, which then serve that purpose.

but it would be 1,000 times better to just eliminate said need to begin with, allow for public use options as with cigs, rather than beyond foolishly create said need in the first place, for which edibles are the only viable solution, though a very flawed and potentially dangerous one, as not all are experienced as you or i.

imagine the far greater problems with alcohol than we already have, if drinkers didn't know how affected they would be for an hr after drinking, so usually drank extra, or a lot extra, just to be sure they got enough.

the "potentially dangerous" thing with edibles, will and do supply the Taliban with the ammo to keep mj illegal in Taliban controlled US provinces.

and create problem even in legal states, which they absolutely do. (probably close to 99% of all mj related problems in legal states are edible related)

just eliminate the need for edibles in the first place, and virtually all mj related problems solved immediately, all at once.

Last edited:
Except I do not want to toke and smell like a dirty hippy at a Steely Dan concert circa 1974. I want edibles. It's nobody's business what I ingest or how, and the smell doesn't keep my decision private.

it was the 1970s.

that said, totally irrelevant.

edibles exist today, only to circumvent the catch 22 of not being able to toke publicly anywhere anymore. (at least we could openly toke at concerts back then thank God, before the Taliban take over under Reagan).

burning one at a concert was one of the great joys in life. and nobody gave a hoot back then.

but no amount of labeling will ever enable dosing 1/1000th as well as just toking, which also gives instant effect and feedback, rather than having to wait 45 mins or an hr to find out if you dosed exactly as you wished, with absolutely no viable remedy either way if you didn't.

and as i stated before, "edibles', and the dosing downsides no matter how labeled they are, will give the ammo for Taliban states like Indiana to remain Taliban states.

and the last thing the Taliban states need is any ammo at all.

that said, as long as any states ban all pubic use, said banning itself solely creates the need for edibles at all, which then serve that purpose.

but it would be 1,000 times better to just eliminate said need to begin with, allow for public use options as with cigs, rather than beyond foolishly create said need in the first place, for which edibles are the only viable solution, though a very flawed and potentially dangerous one, as not all are experienced as you or i.

imagine the far greater problems with alcohol than we already have, if drinkers didn't know how affected they would be for an hr after drinking, so usually drank extra, or a lot extra, just to be sure they got enough.

the "potentially dangerous" thing with edibles, will and do supply the Taliban with the ammo to keep mj illegal in Taliban controlled US provinces.

and create problem even in legal states, which they absolutely do. (probably close to 99% of all mj related problems in legal states are edible related)

just eliminate the need for edibles in the first place, and virtually all mj related problems solved immediately, all at once.
But it's not flawed, again, if you know what you are taking. If MJ in all forms were legal, I'd still prefer gummies. I don't like to smoke it, I like the fact that it's slow acting, but I still know what it's going to do. Old cronies who rail against MJ don't have a different axe to grind against edibles. They use the same tired arguments from the 50's. Legalize it all and let the consumer decide how they choose to consume it. Again, it will largely depend on what you want it to do, but I think you're underestimating the # of folks who prefer edibles and how they react. You are also not accounting for the "I wanna get f'd up factor", where like with drinking, one drink or toke leads to another. With an edible, I predetermine what I want it to do, take it and forget about it. I'm far less likely to overconsume in that instance, than I am if we're passing around a pipe, vape or joint. Basically, you and I prefer to consume MJ differently, but legalizing it would not end the demand for edibles, from me, and I think many, many others.

Reactions: birdforbogey
why i think edibles are a bad idea for newbies.

slightly different, but the concept is the same.

unfortunately, just as not all dynamite users are experienced and knowledgeable on dosing, the same is true for many mj users.

if edibles and their downsides didn't endanger legalization in Taliban states, i would have no issue with them, even though i would highly recommend no newbie ever do edibles.

would i ever do edibles? yes. but only if toking wasn't a viable option.

unfortunately, the down side of edibles are being and will be used by the Taliban to mandate using dangerous drugs like alcohol over safe drugs like mj in Taliban controlled states.

i hope for that perfect world where this debate is no longer relevant, but the Taliban here fight to the death to oppose ever legalizing freedom, and unfortunately i see Iran and Saudi Arabia being mj legal before Indiana is..

why i think edibles are a bad idea for newbies.

slightly different, but the concept is the same.

unfortunately, just as not all dynamite users are experienced and knowledgeable on dosing, the same is true for many mj users.

if edibles and their downsides didn't endanger legalization in Taliban states, i would have no issue with them, even though i would highly recommend no newbie ever do edibles.

would i ever do edibles? yes. but only if toking wasn't a viable option.

unfortunately, the down side of edibles are being and will be used by the Taliban to mandate using dangerous drugs like alcohol over safe drugs like mj in Taliban controlled states.

i hope for that perfect world where this debate is no longer relevant, but the Taliban here fight to the death to oppose ever legalizing freedom, and unfortunately i see Iran and Saudi Arabia being mj legal before Indiana is..
I have no problem understanding what you are saying, I just don't see it in reality. I've never heard a legislator or public figure talk about the evils of edibles, as they are generally not that specific and are arguing against MJ in general. I've never heard them be specific to form of MJ. I think you're projecting your own opinion onto the matter. Could it be a problem? sure. Legal or illegal, anyone can abuse MJ, alcohol or any of a number of substances. The issue you are describing is really one of ignorance ("I don't care what it is, I just wanna get F'd up!"), and most of those types of users aren't going to take edibles, unless it's their only option, which again, is more likely if it's illegal. All you can do, is provide the information to people, but after that, it's up to the discretion and common sense of the user, as it is with alcohol or any substance. It's taking longer than I expected, but I think it will change pretty drastically and quickly in all states when we get to the tipping point of enough neighboring states having it legal vs illegal. Once the states where it's still illegal start to see how much tax revenue is flowing out of their state to their "legal" neighbor, it won't take long for them to jump on the train. I'm pretty skeptical of governmental regs overall, but they are generally at least consistent when it comes to revenue opportunities. Can you buy a lottery ticket in your Taliban state?

Addendum: my theory is somewhat born out by this map. Note how the legal recreational states are clustered on the west coast and NE, with a wide swath of non or medical only through the central "taliban" part of the country. As you get a few of those going recreational, I think it will cause a mass migration. I'm hoping VA bordering NC will have that effect here! Ironically IN now borders legal states in IL and MI. I'd be surprised if they don't succumb in the next few years. Being IN, it might take longer, but I bet less than 5 years.

Weed_Map_Final_6.21.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT