ADVERTISEMENT

Any thoughts on the best cars for a new teenage driver?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
I've got two teenage girls 14 & 15 who will be drivers soon. My oldest will be getting her permit this fall. In my mind the biggest concern is distractions from her phone. Obviously we've already had the discussions about how there won't be a car for her if we ever see her using her phone. I'm sure that's easier said than done.

On to the car discussion. A few years ago when we leased a Subaru Legacy I thought the new defensive protections were amazing. The camera's watching for lane control, watching when you back up, etc. I suppose for me I thought it was great, but I've also learned the systems aren't perfect. I've relied on the system while backing up in a parking lot and I'd say it's not 100% accurate. With that in mind I don't want my kids to learn to rely on these systems. They need to get into the habit of always looking behind when they back up and checking their blind spots. So that scares me a bit. So even though I know these systems are their to protect i think it may not be the best choice for a first car until they learn the basics and check blind spots regardless. As for teaching them to drive a car and stay focused, I've actually thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to look for a manual. It would force them to stay focused driving and really drive the car and be engaged in the process. On the other hand it scares me to think how many times that clutch is gonna get wrecked. I learned on a clutch, but damn it took a beating at first!

So any thoughts on this subject based on your own experiences? I have three girls in all, but the two oldest will have to share this first car during high school.

I've got two teenage girls 14 & 15 who will be drivers soon. My oldest will be getting her permit this fall. In my mind the biggest concern is distractions from her phone. Obviously we've already had the discussions about how there won't be a car for her if we ever see her using her phone. I'm sure that's easier said than done.

On to the car discussion. A few years ago when we leased a Subaru Legacy I thought the new defensive protections were amazing. The camera's watching for lane control, watching when you back up, etc. I suppose for me I thought it was great, but I've also learned the systems aren't perfect. I've relied on the system while backing up in a parking lot and I'd say it's not 100% accurate. With that in mind I don't want my kids to learn to rely on these systems. They need to get into the habit of always looking behind when they back up and checking their blind spots. So that scares me a bit. So even though I know these systems are their to protect i think it may not be the best choice for a first car until they learn the basics and check blind spots regardless. As for teaching them to drive a car and stay focused, I've actually thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to look for a manual. It would force them to stay focused driving and really drive the car and be engaged in the process. On the other hand it scares me to think how many times that clutch is gonna get wrecked. I learned on a clutch, but damn it took a beating at first!

So any thoughts on this subject based on your own experiences? I have three girls in all, but the two oldest will have to share this first car during high school.
Hummer, Canyonero, Suburban Country, Sprinter Delivery Van

Reactions: larsIU
Find a big ol' beater that's just new enough to have airbags. Think 10-15 year old Buick.

I hear ya on the stick, but that would be needle in haystack territory these days.

Reactions: bawlmer
Find a big ol' beater that's just new enough to have airbags. Think 10-15 year old Buick.

I hear ya on the stick, but that would be needle in haystack territory these days.
Yeah but you don’t want something with TOO big of a backseat. Wait. This isn’t the AOTF. Oops

205564052_3967332560059076_1500575076414202589_n.jpg

Keep an eye out for what the old ladies are driving and then purchase accordingly :)

Seriously though, just find a 2 or 4 door with a good safety rating and go from there. On the bright side, girls are generally more responsible drivers than boys, so you have that going for you.

Reactions: 76-1
Keep an eye out for what the old ladies are driving and then purchase accordingly :)

Seriously though, just find a 2 or 4 door with a good safety rating and go from there. On the bright side, girls are generally more responsible drivers than boys, so you have that going for you.
Are you saying read the obituaries?

Get them a Subi. Safe and it will run forever. The standard AWD make them a beast in bad weather. Buy one with around 100k on the odometer and you should be able to get a nice car at a fairly reasonable price.

Are you saying read the obituaries?
Lol...no. Go to Walmart and see what kind of tanks the old ladies are driving. My 90 year old grandmother has a bunch of metal and safety features around her (or did up unto the point where it was decided that wasn't even enough).

Lol...no. Go to Walmart and see what kind of tanks the old ladies are driving. My 90 year old grandmother has a bunch of metal and safety features around her (or did up unto the point where it was decided that wasn't even enough).
I hear there’s lots of shooting in Walmart these days. Better check my insurance rider to see if it’s safe to go there.

Here's a serious reply, for you and anyone who knows new teen drivers: BRAKES Driving School. I can't speak highly enough for this and think it should be required for every new driver! Created by a local champion Funny Car driver who's older son wrecked while driving recklessly taking his younger brother to McDs and killed them both. It's all volunteer and many instructors are from the racing and law enforcement community. Kia provides vehicles and they have stations that put young drivers through the most common errors they make as drivers (most common killer for new drivers: they go off the road and over correct and then crash. Start watching stories about teen driving crashes and you'll be surpised how often that's the cause). When you teach your kids, you generally can only expose them to the "correct" ways to drive, they show them how to react when things go wrong. A parent has to accompany them for the day, and you'll learn a lot too. Take a day and get your kids in it... some insurance companies are even offering discounts if kids take the school.

Anyway, that question came up in the Q&A session: "what's better for young drivers: big cars with more heft and metal, or newer cars with more safety features?" They said hands down, the newer cars with safety tech are safer. So reseach the safe ones and buy the newest you can afford. At the time I bought my son a 2 yo Altima that had like 160K miles, with the logic that he'd not put many miles on it and that was newer than most I could afford. Been a great car for him. Good luck, kids driving is scary for a parent!

BRAKES Driving School

My personal favorite: The Panhard LAV

If you can find a couple here in the US that are street legal let me know... I'll buy the other one... 😉

Today's perfect urban vehicle for both young and old... Armored (check), 4x4 (check), Regular gas (check), convertible to up to 5 person RV (check)... 😎

Here's a lead: https://www.generalequipment.info/PANHARD VBL.htm

If you can't find one those then you might want to look for a late model Subaru. Their safety features are highly thought of and if you keep the oil changed they might last them all the way thru college...

Last edited:
Best rule we ever had was that our teenage drivers were not allowed to have teenage passengers.

There was a study showing that most of the serious teen driver accidents were for groups of teens riding together, whether the cause was distraction, or showing off, or whatever, there is a "weakness in numbers" effect.

Best rule we ever had was that our teenage drivers were not allowed to have teenage passengers.

There was a study showing that most of the serious teen driver accidents were for groups of teens riding together, whether the cause was distraction, or showing off, or whatever, there is a "weakness in numbers" effect.
Yep. That's why I suggest a 2 door, 2 seat pick up truck for all new drivers, particularly teenagers . . . preferably with a stick shift. With this vehicle, there's less possibility of teenagers having groups of teens - at least in the cab - plus Dad can use it for big box store trips . . . .

Reactions: UncleMark
Yep. That's why I suggest a 2 door, 2 seat pick up truck for all new drivers, particularly teenagers . . . preferably with a stick shift. With this vehicle, there's less possibility of teenagers having groups of teens - at least in the cab - plus Dad can use it for big box store trips . . . .
Holds a mattress, too.

Outback or Crosstrek is better b/c they will be sitting higher up. Both have the same, if not better, safety ratings and features.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT