ADVERTISEMENT

Any percussionist on here or lovers of great percussion?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
My oldest daughter who has transitioned from 6 years of classical piano to learning drums has made the percussion ensemble for her freshman year in high school. Any of you have some great percussion music you could recommend to inspire her interest? Any genre would be great!

I love how she’s really starting to branch out. She’s still playing piano but working on blues scales, she’s been picking up my guitar to learn some chords and playing around with my youngest girls bass and loves that too. I’m so excited for her love of music!

My oldest daughter who has transitioned from 6 years of classical piano to learning drums has made the percussion ensemble for her freshman year in high school. Any of you have some great percussion music you could recommend to inspire her interest? Any genre would be great!

I love how she’s really starting to branch out. She’s still playing piano but working on blues scales, she’s been picking up my guitar to learn some chords and playing around with my youngest girls bass and loves that too. I’m so excited for her love of music!

The master:

Have her check out Latin percussion:

Reactions: T.M.P. and Eppy99

My son went to a "youth performing arts school." The first time I heard the percussion ensemble play at his first concert, my jaw dropped open. It was great stuff.

We were spoiled already - the music teacher at the elementary school where my bride works ran her own percussion gig that drew some love from Zeppelin themselves after this went viral:

I honestly don’t know what she will be playing in the ensemble.
Best advice I could offer, as someone who was in her exact same shoes (had 6 yrs of classical piano training, and two years of viola before switching to percussion in Jr. High), would be to encourage her to find some "drummers" that she really likes. From bands she enjoys, etc. Hopefully she can find some different genres that resonate with her. And then listen, listen, listen to those drummers. For me, I had an eclectic list of drummers I liked. Probably the most influential on me in my early years of beginning to play drum set (oh, and by the way - if she sticks it out in the percussion ensemble at school, she WILL end up wanting and needing a drum kit. Likely won't be enough to just have whatever instrument they assign to her. She'll want to be a drummer. I've known exceptions to that, but not many) was Steve Ferrone. He played for Average White Band, and I wore that double-live record of theirs out, with headphones on in my bedroom playing along with it and trying to copy everything he did. That taught me more about playing than anything I ever learned anywhere else. And that funk influence stuck with me throughout my whole playing career.

It's good that you're looking for various influences to inspire her with. I wouldn't worry so much about specific songs, players, etc. Just have her listen to lots of genres, and she'll find a few that really do it for her. Then she can just go after that.

Reactions: Eppy99
My son went to a "youth performing arts school." The first time I heard the percussion ensemble play at his first concert, my jaw dropped open. It was great stuff.

We were spoiled already - the music teacher at the elementary school where my bride works ran her own percussion gig that drew some love from Zeppelin themselves after this went viral:

That is awesome! That kid clear in the back is wailing on the drum kit. Totally has the Bonham vibe going on that kick and snare pocket he's got going. Impressive!

Before I gave up band for football, I was a drummer. My last year, our marching band performed "Flight of the Bumble Bee". Our band directors were awesome and we had one of the first marching guitars and xylophones on the field. Our percussion group was featured in the song. I played the snare drum and we used "back sticking" and playing on the drum to our right that brought cheers at our competitions. There are YouTube videos and an audio only version similar to what we did.

Our xylophone players were band members that played other instruments and had strong piano playing skills.

I never played it on our own field but listened to the others from the locker room. Football practice followed by band practice got to be too much.

Reactions: Eppy99
Not quite Bonzo but nevertheless, aint half bad for a 8y.o

Taking on some of the best drummers ever. May not have the strength of the two but hell... she is 8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT