ADVERTISEMENT

Any of you old timers remember

HoosierAlum07

Junior
Dec 30, 2013
Doug Crusan?

in my line of work I worked at his house today! I had no idea who he was until I saw his office full of Miami Dolphin and IU memorabilia!

For those who dont know, he was offensive Tackle Team Captain of IUs Rose Bowl team and played for the undefeated 1972 Dolphins(played in 3 Super Bowls). Seemed like a good guy, didnt talk to him much because he was self isolating himself and setting up equipment for The draft tonight. I guess hes still heavily involved in the draft and NFLPA. Kinda cool though, my job has its perks, ive worked in Don Fishers and Victor Oladipos homes too.

Doug Crusan?

in my line of work I worked at his house today! I had no idea who he was until I saw his office full of Miami Dolphin and IU memorabilia!

For those who dont know, he was offensive Tackle Team Captain of IUs Rose Bowl team and played for the undefeated 1972 Dolphins(played in 3 Super Bowls). Seemed like a good guy, didnt talk to him much because he was self isolating himself and setting up equipment for The draft tonight. I guess hes still heavily involved in the draft and NFLPA. Kinda cool though, my job has its perks, ive worked in Don Fishers and Victor Oladipos homes too.

Body guard for Bob Griese

I remember him as an offensive tackle initially and became a defensive tackle his senior year. I remember him being about 6 feet 6 inches and weight was about 235. Biggest player on either line. Biggest offensive lineman was Bob Kirk about 211 pounds.

Coach Pont wanted speed and had the field mowed very short. Opposing coaches, in their stadiums, let the grass grow to slow the Hoosier players. There were some interesting stories related to the length of grass in Memorial Stadium.

Doug was a natural OT at 6’6’ 265. He dropped to 235 for coach Pont for speed and to play DT his senior year. It didn’t hurt him in the draft as he was a #1 pick of Dolphins. Played about 10 yrs in NFL. Super guy. Actually our smallest OL our Rose Bowl season was our centers Mauro and Applegate at about 205. Lt Rick Spickard was 250, guards Cassells 220 and Russell 215. Kirk was tall but one of the lightest at 211.

Body guard for Bob Griese
The '72 Dolphins got along pretty well without Bob Griese. In fact, the guy who quarterbacked that team the vast majority of that season was the league's MVP if I recall correctly. Crusan, on the other hand, was an essential piece of that team. A lot of guys in the league could hand the ball to Czonka, Kiick, and Mercury Morris. Griese had the good fortune of having a dominant offensive line and the league's best defense. Hell, Curtis Painter could have won a lot of football games quarterbacking that team - well..., maybe not Curtis Painter - but a lot of average QBs.

See what I did there, destewert ;)

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
The '72 Dolphins got along pretty well without Bob Griese. In fact, the guy who quarterbacked that team the vast majority of that season was the league's MVP if I recall correctly. Crusan, on the other hand, was an essential piece of that team. A lot of guys in the league could hand the ball to Czonka, Kiick, and Mercury Morris. Griese had the good fortune of having a dominant offensive line and the league's best defense. Hell, Curtis Painter could have won a lot of football games quarterbacking that team - well..., maybe not Curtis Painter - but a lot of average QBs.

See what I did there, destewert ;)

Yes, poor Bob was too short, did not have a strong arm, missed most of the 1972 regular season and was not a first ballot inductee into the Pro Football HOF. He retired in 1981 and did not make the HOF until 1990. However he remains the only Indiana raised QB to be in both the College and Pro Football Halls of Fame.

Yes, poor Bob was too short, did not have a strong arm, missed most of the 1972 regular season and was not a first ballot inductee into the Pro Football HOF. He retired in 1981 and did not make the HOF until 1990. However he remains the only Indiana raised QB to be in both the College and Pro Football Halls of Fame.
FYI-also played LB in high school

Reactions: vesuvius13
Doug Crusan?

I would like to hear from the guy who works in Hugh Hefners old house

Doug Crusan?

I remember him as an offensive tackle initially and became a defensive tackle his senior year. I remember him being about 6 feet 6 inches and weight was about 235. Biggest player on either line. Biggest offensive lineman was Bob Kirk about 211 pounds.

Coach Pont wanted speed and had the field mowed very short. Opposing coaches, in their stadiums, let the grass grow to slow the Hoosier players. There were some interesting stories related to the length of grass in Memorial Stadium.
Doug was a natural OT at 6’6’ 265. He dropped to 235 for coach Pont for speed and to play DT his senior year. It didn’t hurt him in the draft as he was a #1 pick of Dolphins. Played about 10 yrs in NFL. Super guy. Actually our smallest OL our Rose Bowl season was our centers Mauro and Applegate at about 205. Lt Rick Spickard was 250, guards Cassells 220 and Russell 215. Kirk was tall but one of the lightest at 211.

great posts guys.

check out my 1967 highlights and interviews thread, as Doug is one of the players featured in the interviews interspersed with highlight videos.

i originally posted it here, but decided to give it it's own thread, since 67 highlights are hard to come by.

The 67 team was my freshman year, and I remember those guys. What's really amazing is that now even lower level D1 teams like the MAC pretty much all have 300+ pound lines.

Bob played little league baseball with two of my uncles and my grandpa coached the team. A true family friend. Don't be dissing Bob. He's cool as hell.
In my mind he has one flaw. Went to Purdue. Other than that he's 1972 perfect. Huge Grin!
Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT