ADVERTISEMENT

Any Hoosier Boys State Alumni?

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Someone recently posted pictures on a Facebook page about Hoosier Boys State and it had me thinking of my experience at ISU in 1981. Any of you go or have a family member go?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
84 was my year. Haven't thought about it for a long time. First time getting tear gassed!

They took us out to a State Police training facility, sent us out to the other end of a cold range, lobbed some tear gas canisters out to the midpoint and had us walk back through it.

84 was my year. Haven't thought about it for a long time. First time getting tear gassed!
My parents couldn't believe they would do that to us. I saw some pretty tough kids crying in that field and needing help getting back to the bus.

I'm surprised someone's older brother didn't brief them on it.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Someone recently posted pictures on a Facebook page about Hoosier Boys State and it had me thinking of my experience at ISU in 1981. Any of you go or have a family member go?
I went to Boys State in 1962. It was at IU then. We took over Wright Quad.

I didn't attend the one in Indiana, but I attended Badger Boys State in Wisconsin in 1969. It was held on the Campus of Ripon College.

My parents couldn't believe they would do that to us. I saw some pretty tough kids crying in that field and needing help getting back to the bus.

I'm surprised someone's older brother didn't brief them on it.
My mom was upset that they would do that. My dad said something to the effect of "Good. Don't forget it and keep your ass out trouble so it won't happen for real."

Reactions: sdhoosier and 76-1
I figured this thread would have been about this:

That's exactly what it's about. Happens in every state. Not sure how it works now, but at the time the 30k foot version was every HS in IN picked 2 boys to go during the summer before their senior year. The American Legion was the sponsor, so the local post did the picking. Then the boys who were selected would go get gassed, set up a representative gov't and run it.

Last edited:
They took us out to a State Police training facility, sent us out to the other end of a cold range, lobbed some tear gas canisters out to the midpoint and had us walk back through it.
I had to do that while in the Air Force. I was doing special training at Eglin AFB and they put us in a room, filled it with gas. We had to take off our masks and walk out. It stung the eyes a little, but I didn't cough too much. If I did it today I would be coughing like crazy. Too much sinus trouble.

I had to do that while in the Air Force. I was doing special training at Eglin AFB and they put us in a room, filled it with gas. We had to take off our masks and walk out. It stung the eyes a little, but I didn't cough too much. If I did it today I would be coughing like crazy. Too much sinus trouble.
You mean basic training which every member of the military goes through. There's nothing special about it.

You mean basic training which every member of the military goes through. There's nothing special about it.
Liars get so used to lying that they subconsciously stretch the truth in almost every statement they make. It’s a subtle routine they live by. Seems like we have a clear case to me.

Reactions: T.M.P.
No, special training at Eglin AFB in Florida. I was part of the Prime Ribs team. We basically set up tent cities during a war. One thing I am proud of is I got a marksman ribbon. Because I was part of this team I had to qualify with the M-16 rifle and I actually got the ribbon because out of 40 rounds I hit the target 40 times.

Liars get so used to lying that they subconsciously stretch the truth in almost every statement they make. It’s a subtle routine they live by. Seems like we have a clear case to me.
and he doubled down.

lol

I went to Boys State in 1962. It was at IU then. We took over Wright Quad.
Did you get tear gassed? Oh, never mind.

I saw a hell of a panty raid at Wright and Teter back in the day.

A large anti war protest originated in Dunn Meadow but then migrated through Forest Quad and eventually the Wright-Teter area during a panty raid being conducted by the Wright-Teter men. Wright-Teterwomen were throwing underwear out their dorm windows, and the merged crowd of two different groups were chanting:

"U.S. out of Cambodia, now! We want panties!"​

Yes, sounds weird, but say it out loud when there are no witnessses. It actually has a rhythm and cadence. Still bizarre, but seriously as a chant it had a rythym. Surprised Zappa or somebody didn't write a song about something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.M.P.
The National Guard unit my friends were in had to force march around the room for a while, do some pushups and jumping jacks for a while and stand at attention for a period with elevated breathing rates while the gas was released.

Peter Seeger knows: https://www.bing.com/search?q=waist...ajeueR9COQ=&shth=OSH.zYqC8O%2BAce49RzevjAdgBg

My mom was upset that they would do that. My dad said something to the effect of "Good. Don't forget it and keep your ass out trouble so it won't happen for real."
I thought one reason they did it was to demonstrate that teargas wasn't like it is portrayed in the movies. My nose ran like a faucet and my eyes burned and were hard to keep open. If I felt like that with canisters dropping around me in an open field, I can imagine being in a confined space would be much worse. The movies don't show what really happens.

I was fine after a few minutes. It was a fun week, but that was the moment I remember the clearest.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
What a coincidence VPM. I like planes and tents. Sometimes I fly on a plane with a tent. My dad doesn't like either planes or tents. Blue is my favorite color. Rocks are hard.

That's what you sound like to me every time you try to contribute to a thread of which you know nothing and have zero experience with the original subject. Do your sheep not give you enough attention?

ADVERTISEMENT