ADVERTISEMENT

Any DL Coach chatter or new ideas?

Yeah, I’m not real excited by the insinuation on here that it might be someone like Mark Deal. Nice guy, but how long has it been since he coached?

Mark Deal will not be the DL coach. Put that in the bank. He is in an admin capacity and the man has spent any of his coaching career as an offensive line coach. He played OL. He’s not going to go through the rigors of a coaching stint at his age. That said, the guy has to be IU football’s biggest fan. He lives it and has dedicated his life to it.

don't really know much about this guy https://owlsports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/walter-stewart/4335 but a knowledgeable friend whose opinion I respect says he's the real deal. Rod Carey apparently thinks so too FWIW.
At the signing day event Saturday a couple of coaches hinted that something was in the works, kind of indicating that someone had already been identified by Coach Allen. They gave zero clues however as to who that person might be. Led me to believe that maybe there was an offer out there but no deal had been finalized.

Mark Deal will not be the DL coach. Put that in the bank. He is in an admin capacity and the man has spent any of his coaching career as an offensive line coach. He played OL. He’s not going to go through the rigors of a coaching stint at his age. That said, the guy has to be IU football’s biggest fan. He lives it and has dedicated his life to it.
He's also paid pretty well to be dedicated to it.

At the signing day event Saturday a couple of coaches hinted that something was in the works, kind of indicating that someone had already been identified by Coach Allen. They gave zero clues however as to who that person might be. Led me to believe that maybe there was an offer out there but no deal had been finalized.
I got that impression, too, after Wommack said he knew but wasn't going to tell anyone.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I wonder if Chris Kiffin would be a possibility....that could get interesting

FWIW, it appears per TOS he was the primary recruiter for at least two commits from IL in the past two years.
apparently the lead recruiter for MSU in the Chicago area

and if it's true that he also recruits Georgia, that could get interesting: it appears that in the Class of 2021 MSU is in on about a half-dozen uncommitted 4-star recruits in that state, along with another 8 or 9 uncommitted 3-stars down there

But reaction: veteran coach, which think is important right now on this team. Bet he can recruit and just based on the level of play on MSU lines, appears he can coach and so great for our DL!

think it was time for a change. Very happy for Hagan’s opportunity down at UT, and think IU has just gotten a great addition in Burton! Coach Allen keeping the train rolling!

I think this is great hire and can't wait to see the impact he makes on the DL. Coach Allen can pull in the coaches and it is good he brought in the only guy to vote no on the sexual predator MSU HC brought in anyway despite the evidence.

Does anybody recall his stint at IU under Cam Cameron? He was our LB coach for 4 years. I think he may have recruited the LB from Indy that was a stud for us Justin Smith. Later played with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

ADVERTISEMENT