ADVERTISEMENT

Any concern that the new coach has no head coaching experience?

I like his experience with winning and going to the CWS

He's been with a winning program for 7 years, 3 of which ended up at the CWS. So he knows what it takes to recruit and develop a successful program at a midwest school. Works for me.

I think it's much less important in baseball

I think in baseball it's about getting players, teaching them skills and being a leader. There isn't too much in game strategy like in basketball or football. It's really about the players doing their thing.

"Isn't too much strategy"? Yeah, not from what someone like me can

see. But then I listen to someone like Joe Buck, and I go "Wow, I didn't know this game was so complicated." vbg

Hope IU doesn't turn into a small ball bunting team like UofL. I hate Dusty Baker style baseball.

From what I've read he'll get the most out of his players.

At UL, he didn't have any Schwarbers so they played small ball. But at Citadel he rewrote the offensive record book. I think he's smart enough to use the players effectively based on their ability. Hope I'm right.

That was my only concern

Has very good credentials other then the lack of head coaching experience. I remember 10 years ago a writer in Hamilton county criticized Noblesville high school for hiring Justin Keever from Avon at the time. Justin was just an assistant varsity coach with no experience but this season led Noblesville to a state championship.

It appears that the new coach has been around winning baseball since his college days. He has a good quality pitching staff to work with in year one and with the talk about his recruiting success I'm hoping we don't miss a beat.

Not for me. He's been around for 20 years in highly successful programs

And he's played a big role within those programs during that time. I'm guessing he can, at this point, run a program in his sleep. That's just my take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT