ADVERTISEMENT

Any advice for a visiting fan?

Jul 19, 2021
Hey everyone, Rutgers fan here coming in peace. My buddies and I try to get to an away game every year or two with the goal of eventually visiting every Big Ten stadium, and this year we're heading to our game against you guys in November. So far we've been to Minnesota, Illinois, and Ohio State and had a great time at all three places. We're figuring on probably flying in on Friday and heading back on Sunday. I was wondering if you have some recommendations of things to do.

Should we stay in Indianapolis and just spend gameday on campus, or is there enough to do in Bloomington to fill a 3-day weekend?
Any can't-miss places to eat?
Good breweries worth stopping at?
Is there a sports bar nearby where we can watch the other games going on after ours, or a beer bar with a good selection of local beers?
Is your pregame primarily tailgating or more of a bar scene?
Any tips for parking?
Anything else you'd suggest we go to while we're there?

Thanks for any advice, looking forward to an exciting game between two teams on the rise!

Oh and before anyone asks--no, I don't know Tony Soprano, the only people who say "Joisey" are from New York, Rutgers University is named after Henry Rutgers--a Revolutionary War hero who donated to the school, and your stereotype of a New Jerseyan is probably more accurate for a New Yorker. :)

Last edited:
If you can find a place in town, definitely stay in Bloomington. I’m Not going to that game, so no idea if hotels are all booked for that wknd. If can’t stay in town, stay in Martinsville, much shorter commute than Indy. Nick’s is an IU must stop. Mother Bear’s, Janko’s, Kilroy’s and plenty other places to keep you fed and thirst quenched.

I think you will find Bloomington and IU a very welcoming place. We have had plenty of visiting fans crash our tailgaters say how much they Love it. Most IU fans aren’t asshats to opposing fans, like some in this league. IU is definitely a tailgating place on game day. You should call the ticket office and request “grass lot” parking pass soon. You won’t be disappointed (unless it rains, it’s gets muddy quick).

Enjoy your trip. Good luck this season except vs IU.

Hey everyone, Rutgers fan here coming in peace. My buddies and I try to get to an away game every year or two with the goal of eventually visiting every Big Ten stadium, and this year we're heading to our game against you guys in November. So far we've been to Minnesota, Illinois, and Ohio State and had a great time at all three places. We're figuring on probably flying in on Friday and heading back on Sunday. I was wondering if you have some recommendations of things to do.

Should we stay in Indianapolis and just spend gameday on campus, or is there enough to do in Bloomington to fill a 3-day weekend?
Is there a sports bar nearby where we can watch the other games going on after ours, or a beer bar with a good selection of local beers?
Any tips for parking?

Thanks for any advice, looking forward to an exciting game between two teams on the rise!

Oh and before anyone asks--no, I don't know Tony Soprano, the only people who say "Joisey" are from New York, Rutgers University is named after Henry Rutgers--a Revolutionary War hero who donated to the school, and your stereotype of a New Jerseyan is probably more accurate for a New Yorker. :)
Btown is the premier college town in the BIG and you could spend a week there and still have things to do.

Indy is fine but would reccomend the Graduate hotel on Kirkwood for location. Btown has a crowded food and music scene so it is tough to go wrong.

IU is a beautiful campus worth walking for a couple of hours in the fall.

Bluebird has quality music, Nicks, Kilroy's, Sports, Tap, Upstairs, Irish Lion, many other bars. Runcible spoon for breakfast, Zagrebs for Steak and a full street of authentic ethnic places from Tibetan to Asian fusion. Midwestern friendly with lots of multi-cultural options.

Tailgating is an art form in btown due in part to sucking inside the stadium for decades.. Go to the wooded lots south of the stadium.

You will want to move there.

Edit, if you decide /need to stay in Indy, understand that the Mitch Daniels memorial construction disaster north of Btown will cost you time to navigate, This is year 11 of the 147 year project being completed by three guys and a Tonka truck.

Last edited:

Any tips for parking?

Watch out for the goose poop.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
All seven PU fans who came to the game were offended. Gotta love that.
In all fairness, Purdue did their best to return the favor the following year by allowing the Bucket Game to be played on their state-of-the-art “prescription cow paddy” that is just a hair shy of a World War I battle zone in late November. Actually, the WWI battlefield is probably safer😆😂

passchendaele-mud-GETTY-xlarge.jpg

In all fairness, Purdue did their best to return the favor the following year by allowing the Bucket Game to be played on their state-of-the-art “prescription cow paddy” that is just a hair shy of a World War I battle zone in late November. Actually, the WWI battlefield is probably safer😆😂

passchendaele-mud-GETTY-xlarge.jpg
There are a lot of unhappy PU grads that I know. They want field turf bad and are embarassed by the condition of that POS field.

Any tips for parking?

I was in New Jersey a month ago. I have family there. It’s a nice state. Y’all drive like nuts though! 😆. Enjoy your time here buddy.

Tailgating is an art form in btown due in part to sucking inside the stadium for decades..
Ha, sounds just like us here at Rutgers!

For whatever reason I was able to post a new thread but unable to post replies until just now, but thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like there is a lot of options in Bloomington and many within a short walk from each other. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Ha, sounds just like us here at Rutgers!

For whatever reason I was able to post a new thread but unable to post replies until just now, but thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like there is a lot of options in Bloomington and many within a short walk from each other. Looking forward to it!
See you there and good luck. Like IU R is on the rise.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Any tips for parking?

Or stay in Nashville . . .

. . . Indiana. Brown County State Park is worth a half day or better: https://www.browncountystatepark.net/. 25 minutes east of Bloomington on state road 46 (SR46).

If you're into architecture, Columbus - Indiana - is another 20 minutes east of Nashville: https://columbus.in.us/guide-to-the-architecture/. It's worth a half day too . . .

. . . of course there's stuff to do in Bloomington, too . . . some folks spend 4 years there!

Reactions: ESalum86
Or stay in Nashville . . .

. . . Indiana. Brown County State Park is worth a half day or better: https://www.browncountystatepark.net/. 25 minutes east of Bloomington on state road 46 (SR46).

If you're into architecture, Columbus - Indiana - is another 20 minutes east of Nashville: https://columbus.in.us/guide-to-the-architecture/. It's worth a half day too . . .

. . . of course there's stuff to do in Bloomington, too . . . some folks spend 4 years there!
Some of us never leave!
Showed up 8/81….some days it feels like it’s just been a few weeks, others a century or two!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT