ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Leal

Man's little mind can not comprehend all of this.
The odds of all living things and universe perfectly positioned to allow life to exist and flourish out of random chance makes no sense. Science by definition defines this as impossible.
Incorrect. If looked at as a single case the likelihood of it happening is so low that it would be considered almost impossible. However, our galaxy alone has billions of stars and there are billions of galaxies in the universe. When looked at from this perspective, the chances of it happening at least once is much higher. This is especially true since the existence of exoplanets is very common (current estimate is 1.6/star in the Milky Way) so there are a huge number of planets that will be in the habitable zone around stars.

There is a curtain - through which one cannot see - be you a Deist, or be you a Scientist. While there is freedom to explain by theory, or to accept by faith, one's chosen belief as to what lies beyond the veil... all claims to knowing is but folly.

Incorrect. If looked at as a single case the likelihood of it happening is so low that it would be considered almost impossible. However, our galaxy alone has billions of stars and there are billions of galaxies in the universe.

great. so where did they all come from?

big bang you say?

ok, so how the heck did that happen? (good luck with that).

that said, i'll buy the numbers argument for a planet going into orbit around a star. (if you could account for the existence of the star and planet in the first place. which you can't).

but staying in that orbit from a hundred million miles away, for billions of yrs, can't be explained by the numbers argument.

(ya think Anthony Leal is getting this all down).

Last edited:
There is a curtain - through which one cannot see - be you a Deist, or be you a Scientist. While there is freedom to explain by theory, or to accept by faith, one's chosen belief as to what lies beyond the veil... all claims to knowing is but folly.

Says the agnostic!

but staying in that orbit from a hundred million miles away, for billions of yrs, can't be explained by the numbers argument.

Gravitational pull of a much larger mass and the inertia of the orbiting planet in motion, in a vacuum, pretty much explains it. I'm sure a physicist can tell you how much variation of our planetary solar system orbits has been recorded. Maybe go ask one instead of assuming no one can explain it.

Gravitational pull of a much larger mass and the inertia of the orbiting planet in motion, in a vacuum, pretty much explains it. I'm sure a physicist can tell you how much variation of our planetary solar system orbits has been recorded. Maybe go ask one instead of assuming no one can explain it.

you're the one ignoring the numbers now.

93 million miles.

5 billion yrs.

great. so where did they all come from?

big bang you say?

ok, so how the heck did that happen? (good luck with that).

that said, i'll buy the numbers argument for a planet going into orbit around a star. (if you could account for the existence of the star and planet in the first place. which you can't).

I am okay admitting that we don't know how (or even if) the Big Bang happened and what was before it. Where did your god come from?

The orbit can be explained. The mass and velocity of a planet reach an equilibrium with the gravitational pull of the sun so that it is falling towards the sun at the same rate as it's inertia is trying to send send it hurtling off into space. Since this is in a vacuum, there is nothing which will change this. In fact, the earth is very, very slowly (1µm/year) moving away from the sun so this equilibrium isn't quite perfect.

This differs from satellites which orbit the earth and do experience orbital decay. This is because of how far the atmosphere of the earth actually extends. They're orbiting in a near vacuum but there are enough particles in the area to cause a very small amount of resistance, changing the velocity of the satellite (slowing down the orbit).

This differs from satellites which orbit the earth and do experience orbital decay. This is because of how far the atmosphere of the earth actually extends. They're orbiting in a near vacuum but there are enough particles in the area to cause a very small amount of resistance, changing the velocity of the satellite (slowing down the orbit).
It’s called atmospheric drag.

Reactions: minneman
you're the one ignoring the numbers now.

93 million miles.

5 billion yrs.

What it appears you are doing is suggesting it is "too far" and/or "too long of a timeframe" for the physics to do what it does, which is not acceptable. It isn't something one can opine on.

Ok, I have dentures so I have teeth. Furthermore, my family has class we don’t breed brothers and sisters anymore. its cousins now. Lastly, I think leal is the real deal. Him and Galloway will be good together

Do I need to post your anti-IU fans post again? How many times have you seen Lean and Galloway play? thought so. Define "real deal"? I don't believe anything that you write.

Reactions: Stellara1
Do I need to post your anti-IU fans post again? How many times have you seen Lean and Galloway play? thought so. Define "real deal"? I don't believe anything that you write.
His name is leal, I’ve seen videos of him. I’m not the only one who says he’s the real deal

I’m not sure why you love to go all Joseph McCarthy on me like the red scare part 2. Post whatever you want about me. I don’t get triggered, I thought you knew that. I’m your friend jimbo. We are blue blood brothers.

Galloway is a stud also check out the tape

We are both Seinfeld friends, let’s build on our friendship

Incorrect. If looked at as a single case the likelihood of it happening is so low that it would be considered almost impossible. However, our galaxy alone has billions of stars and there are billions of galaxies in the universe. When looked at from this perspective, the chances of it happening at least once is much higher. This is especially true since the existence of exoplanets is very common (current estimate is 1.6/star in the Milky Way) so there are a huge number of planets that will be in the habitable zone around stars.
Habitable planet does not randomly create intelligent life.

You spend too much time denying the obvious.

I stand by the appropriateness of this post. It was an honest question...that I thought might spur unrelated conversations (which I think are important; again, not the impetus for the post)...

I'd ask it again.
This is an IU basketball forum. Your question had nothing to do with IU basketball, IU, or really... even basketball. Instead, it caused more irrelevant divisiveness on this board. Do you really think that's a good thing? MORE divisiveness?

Reactions: Stellara1
You spend too much time denying the obvious.
I understand that it is easier to attribute the unfolding mystery of creation to simple answers. There is comfort in trading doubt for things unknowable. Yet no matter how fervently one believes, or denies, the existence of God - it remains a choice and the argument is moot. I do believe in a higher power, but given the enormity and complexity of the universe that surrounds me, it would seem a strange mix of naivete and arrogance to claim matters of faith as truth... and childish to declare one's personal and unprovable dogma as "obvious".

This is an IU basketball forum. Your question had nothing to do with IU basketball, IU, or really... even basketball. Instead, it caused more irrelevant divisiveness on this board. Do you really think that's a good thing? MORE divisiveness?

Having read a ton of commits thanking God...I asked the question...not going to worry if some are not mature enough to handle conversation and/or debate.

Reactions: namnik
Having read a ton of commits thanking God...I asked the question...not going to worry if some are not mature enough to handle conversation and/or debate.
That still doesn't make it an appropriate question for this forum. Take it to the water cooler. Leave this forum for basketball - which is already enough of a contentious subject.

Reactions: Al Bino
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT