ADVERTISEMENT

Another shooting took place yesterday in Dayton, OH

Current stats for 2019:

252 mass shootings
280 dead
Thankfully, one obvious conclusion is that White Supremacists can't aim. Not sure what makes them "supreme."

Can the NRA at least agree on a law to melt down their guns after they're caught?

#MeltTheirGuns

Reactions: hondo314
@TheOriginalHappyGoat said yesterday that the thread about El Paso was an embarrassment to the forum. How so?

Also, as mods lock a thread, it might be useful if they offered a quick explanation in the form of a last post in the thread.
The fact that the El Paso thread was locked is an even bigger embarrassment to this forum. Well done mods. Cowards.

@TheOriginalHappyGoat said yesterday that the thread about El Paso was an embarrassment to the forum. How so?

Also, as mods lock a thread, it might be useful if they offered a quick explanation in the form of a last post in the thread.
I don't see a lot of the garbage posts (because I "ignore" the worst of the lot), and I suspect there may have been posts deleted, but what remains up and visible right now is pretty typical of this board.

I don't see a lot of the garbage posts (because I "ignore" the worst of the lot), and I suspect there may have been posts deleted, but what remains up and visible right now is pretty typical of this board.
Lamenting "the thread" and locking "the thread" suggests "the thread" is the problem. I don't see it that way and I'm curious if those loosely referencing "the thread" might be clearer, more specific.

Reactions: Rockfish1
The fact that the El Paso thread was locked is an even bigger embarrassment to this forum. Well done mods. Cowards.
The Trump supporters don't like discussions of Trump supporting White Nationalists. Duh.

The Trump supporters don't like discussions of Trump supporting White Nationalists. Duh.
That's ironic.

CusBWVpVMAADOqy.jpg

Reactions: sglowrider
There have been far worse threads here. It would appear the mods were protecting certain posters from themselves rather than the board itself.

Bottom line is that its just human nature. People deal with these constant reminders of such madness/impotency on a daily basis in different ways.

Some get angry, some are afraid and others will deflect to avoid talking about it.

Reactions: largemouth
This is now the fourth mass shooting since we started the original thread with the children . I’d say our odds are going up that we will at the least know someone involved. But continued thoughts and prayers will surely do the trick.

Reactions: outside shooter
This is now the fourth mass shooting since we started the original thread with the children . I’d say our odds are going up that we will at the least know someone involved. But continued thoughts and prayers will surely do the trick.

I really can't imagine how you folks deal with it. There is only so much blinkers or whatever means you can use to ignore these shootings.

Reactions: Zizkov
There have been far worse threads here. It would appear the mods were protecting certain posters from themselves rather than the board itself.
Yep.

The mods are protecting certain posters who regularly post outrageous material from anyone who would call them out.

The board is much better off when unmoderated.

This is what psychos can do because AR-type weapons are protected and cherished in this country. He did this in under a minute. A minute.
With something like an AR15, how many rounds do you think you could fire in a minute? Not aimed rounds, just firing randomly into a crowd.

So what’s the solution? Ban assault weapons? You think that would make a difference? People would just move to another semi-auto weapon or multiple like the VA-Tech shooter. Then what? Ban all semi-auto weapons? That’s never going to happen. When crazy libs like on this forum don’t get the prescribed results of more legislation, what happens then? More legislation? Give me an f’ing break. Nothing outside of an all out gun ban will stop this stuff.

We have a people issue, not just a gun issue.

Reactions: ulrey
About 12-15 shots per minute, according to this link: https://www.quora.com/Can-an-AR-15-fire-150-rounds-in-15-seconds.

The reality of it is, yes the Cyclic rate of the AR15 based rifles can fire at 600 rounds per minute. But it cant be effectively fired that fast, a fully automatic M16′s effective fire rate is 150 rounds per minute. An AR15 can be fired 45-60 times per minute under the overwhelming majority of circumstances. This is still assuming you have a magazine large enough. Sustained fire rate is 12 rounds per minute. So to put it simply here are the three ways fire rate is measured

1. Cyclic rate. This is the maximum physical fire rate a particular action is capable of. This fire rate is irrelevant when discussing civilian rifles.
  2. Effective fire rate. Pretty self explanatory, this the rate of which a target can be effectively hit. This is the most important point in a debate. This is what makes the M16 a military weapon and the AR15 not suitable for military use. The M16 has an effective fire rate of 150–200 rounds per minute, the AR15 has an effective fire rate of 45-60 rounds per minute. THIS IS CRUCIAL TO UNDERSTAND. All semi automatic weapon have the same effective fire rate of 45-60 rounds per minute any faster and they become uncontrollable. That is why most gun ranges allow 1 round per second maximum. At any distance even that is difficult.
  3. Sustained fire rate. This is the fire rate at which a weapon can be fired indefinitely without destroying itself. The AR15/M16 share the same 12-15 rounds per minute.
What the man said in the interview isn't a lie. It is dishonest and extremely misleading because the cyclic rate of the rifle isn't relevant to the point being made. It would be like saying a Glock pistol could fire 150 rounds in 7.5 seconds. Is it capable of cycling that fast? Yes. Can a person shoot it that fast? No.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
That is exactly what is happening. I've noted this on several occasions in different contexts and with different posters.

Reactions: kobis18
So what’s the solution? Ban assault weapons? You think that would make a difference? People would just move to another semi-auto weapon or multiple like the VA-Tech shooter. Then what? Ban all semi-auto weapons? That’s never going to happen.

After 911 we viewed all Muslims as the enemy, the FBI heavily penetrated Muslim organizations looking for terrorists. Maybe we need to do that for whites?

So what do we do? Just buy more body bags, hose off Wal-Mart and call it a day?
I honestly dont know. I think a good start would be to ban (or significantly reduce) high capacity magazines. I have an AR and several other guns. I shoot actively. I have No problem getting rid of any mags over 15 or something like that.

After 911 we viewed all Muslims as the enemy, the FBI heavily penetrated Muslim organizations looking for terrorists. Maybe we need to do that for whites?
This is dumb and not helpful to anything. Weird that people like you only care when it’s a mass shooting but don’t say a word about violence in Chicago or Baltimore. Should we do that for black people too?

Side note, I have no problem calling this guy a POS domestic terrorist.

Reactions: ulrey
About 12-15 shots per minute, according to this link: https://www.quora.com/Can-an-AR-15-fire-150-rounds-in-15-seconds.

The reality of it is, yes the Cyclic rate of the AR15 based rifles can fire at 600 rounds per minute. But it cant be effectively fired that fast, a fully automatic M16′s effective fire rate is 150 rounds per minute. An AR15 can be fired 45-60 times per minute under the overwhelming majority of circumstances. This is still assuming you have a magazine large enough. Sustained fire rate is 12 rounds per minute. So to put it simply here are the three ways fire rate is measured

1. Cyclic rate. This is the maximum physical fire rate a particular action is capable of. This fire rate is irrelevant when discussing civilian rifles.
  2. Effective fire rate. Pretty self explanatory, this the rate of which a target can be effectively hit. This is the most important point in a debate. This is what makes the M16 a military weapon and the AR15 not suitable for military use. The M16 has an effective fire rate of 150–200 rounds per minute, the AR15 has an effective fire rate of 45-60 rounds per minute. THIS IS CRUCIAL TO UNDERSTAND. All semi automatic weapon have the same effective fire rate of 45-60 rounds per minute any faster and they become uncontrollable. That is why most gun ranges allow 1 round per second maximum. At any distance even that is difficult.
  3. Sustained fire rate. This is the fire rate at which a weapon can be fired indefinitely without destroying itself. The AR15/M16 share the same 12-15 rounds per minute.
What the man said in the interview isn't a lie. It is dishonest and extremely misleading because the cyclic rate of the rifle isn't relevant to the point being made. It would be like saying a Glock pistol could fire 150 rounds in 7.5 seconds. Is it capable of cycling that fast? Yes. Can a person shoot it that fast? No.
This is interesting. I know fairly little about firearms, so I'll quickly defer to those who are well informed, but it seems to me that it ought to be possible to develop objective criteria for what weapons are permissible for civilian use. "Sustained fire rate" might be one of them. I bet it would also be possible to measure what for lack of a better word I'd call "lethality" -- how much damage does the round do when it hits you? Weapons with military levels of fire rate and lethality shouldn't be allowed for civilian use.

Reactions: stollcpa

I would argue the sustained rate, a shooter does not care if his gun is worthless tomorrow. So 45 rounds in a minute. Even if armed people are nearby and can respond in 30 seconds, that is 22 rounds. In a crowded environment, maybe 12-15 individuals hit before effective return fire.

ADVERTISEMENT