ADVERTISEMENT

Another police shooting...

It's not that confusing. Hell, the entire modern gun control movement started when a bunch of uppity blacks all started carrying armed weapons around California.
I know. Just being sarcastic. And sad at the number of people that will think this is ok.

I defended McNutts line of thinking only

McNutt has lived the majority of his life in Columbus, except for 4 years at IU. In a small city, that is predominantly white and really low in crime, I'm sure he's had nothing but good experiences with the police force. In his life he's probably never seen any instances where an officer abused his power, acted in an unlawful manner, or profiled him for a racial reason.

If we look at that in a vacuum, you can see why he would give the officers the benefit of the doubt and make the statement he made.

The problem with that thinking is that the rest of the world isn't all one race, with low crime rates, and police officers who truly see their job as to "Serve and protect"

McNutt said the person deserved to be shot. Does he agree that the person deserved to be shot 6 times?

No it isnt. He's making decisions based on experiences and expectations he's grown accustomed to based on his life experiences. I doubt hes
1) had bad experiences with police
2) had experiences with minorities that have

So why would he expect anyone else's experience with police to differ than what he has known?
It doesnt make him a racist.
Because most people are smart enough to get out of their own little bubble and into the real world.

No it isnt. He's making decisions based on experiences and expectations he's grown accustomed to based on his life experiences. I doubt hes
1) had bad experiences with police
2) had experiences with minorities that have

So why would he expect anyone else's experience with police to differ than what he has known?
It doesnt make him a racist.
Not a racist, but seriously unaware of the current world surrounding him.

Reactions: cryano
There is a second, higher quality video out there now. Not hard to find.

Looks like I was wrong, and he was shot in the chest, not the back.

Still, hard from that video to not think the cops were showing a reckless disregard for human life in their reaction to this man.

Love to see McNutt or cryano go watch the video and then come back here and defend what went down.

He probably even has a black friend from high school. They called him The Exterminator.
No. I'm sure they called him Token.
latest

Reactions: PtownHoosier
We live in a society where we take away power from authority and parents/ media/ people blame authority. From cops to teachers to the court of law everyone thinks they are getting screwed. It's always someone else's fault. How bout not being a jackass and putting yourself in a situation where you encounter authoritative figures having to react. I have no doubt teachers, policeman, etc react poorly at times, doesn't mean the victim was innocent. It is unfortunate but it is preventable. It starts typically with the perpetrator.

We live in a society where we take away power from authority and parents/ media/ people blame authority. From cops to teachers to the court of law everyone thinks they are getting screwed. It's always someone else's fault. How bout not being a jackass and putting yourself in a situation where you encounter authoritative figures having to react. I have no doubt teachers, policeman, etc react poorly at times, doesn't mean the victim was innocent. It is unfortunate but it is preventable. It starts typically with the perpetrator.
That is four hundred kinds of bullshit. When "reacting poorly" means you use a deadly weapon on a citizen you have sworn to serve five times while he is being restrained, then the problem isn't with the "perpetrator" (I love how you chose that term, even though we don't know he even did anything wrong - more assumptions!), the problem is with the police.

Some people believe authority is truth while others believe truth is authority.

If they falsely arrested him and made him spend an evening in jail before correcting the situation I'd say the authoritative figures reacted poorly.

In this case I'd say they murdered him.

Can you explain why a man on the ground needed to be shot 6 times at close range? Would you consider shots 2-6 as reacting poorly?

The cops have always had an "Us vs. Them" attitude.

At one time, the Them were the Criminals.

Today, the Them is Everyone Else.

That's the problem.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
I apologize because I haven't educated myself on the situation. I should of made it clear I was generalizing society. That being said, the cops just randomly shot someone? I'm sure he's closers to Samuel dubose than an upstanding citizen. I'm not advocating violence, I'm just not making horse shit excuses for people who are dirt bags and put themselves in a situation that allow for people to make reactionary decisions. You think cops want to shoot people?

Many individuals have an us vs them (cops ) attitude as well. It goes both ways and I don't disagree that it's a viewpoint from either perspective.

I apologize because I haven't educated myself on the situation. I should of made it clear I was generalizing society. That being said, the cops just randomly shot someone? I'm sure he's closers to Samuel dubose than an upstanding citizen. I'm not advocating violence, I'm just not making horse shit excuses for people who are dirt bags and put themselves in a situation that allow for people to make reactionary decisions. You think cops want to shoot people?
Then stop talking until you educate yourself.

Wow. So you know nothing about the dead man, nor what happened to him. Yet you are comfortable calling him a dirt bag. I bet Tamir Rice was a dirt bag that deserved it too, right?

I watched it. No doubt cops reacted poorly. Can't imagine it will go well for them. It shouldnt. Never said they were in the right did I? All I said is we live in a society where objecting to authority is the norm. My point was this... did they randomly show up to exercise their authority? Doubtful.... it's a sad situation, and I'm sympathetic towards the victim and his friends and family. But I bet it was preventable.

I'm trying really hard not to jump to conclusions. But the videos look pretty clear that he was already subdued. Even with a gun, which of course we all know he had the right to have on him, I see nothing that would show cause to shoot him.

I don't disagree at all that the police screwed up. He is no way deserved it and in no way were they trained to react in this manner. It is a sad situation. Unfortunately isolated incidents dictate how our society responds on a larger scale. It continues to soften us.

I'm trying really hard not to jump to conclusions. But the videos look pretty clear that he was already subdued. Even with a gun, which of course we all know he had the right to have on him, I see nothing that would show cause to shoot him.
Apparently he did not have a right to carry a gun, as he was on probation. That really shouldn't have any effect on how we interpret the officers' actions, but just for the record.

Apparently he did not have a right to carry a gun, as he was on probation. That really shouldn't have any effect on how we interpret the officers' actions, but just for the record.
Right, but I'm sure they didn't know that when they killed him. Just like they wouldn't have known if he had any priors. ( I know you know this, but for others that don't)

In a year-long study, The Washington Post found that the kind of incidents that have ignited protests in many U.S. communities — most often, white police officers killing unarmed black men — represent less than 4 percent of fatal police shootings.

In a year-long study, The Washington Post found that the kind of incidents that have ignited protests in many U.S. communities — most often, white police officers killing unarmed black men — represent less than 4 percent of fatal police shootings.

What the hell is your point? Are you trying to justify this by saying, eh, doesn't happen THAT often?

Yeah, WTF does that matter? Police officers generally shouldn't be killing any unarmed citizens. Even 1% is too high.

And coincidentally enough, neither of the body cams worn by police were on, according to reports.

Reactions: Lucy01
Why are we making this a racial issue? In my opinion, the guy who was shot just happened to be black. Whether he was white or black, he should not have resisted arrest.
I agree Jerry.
I don't care what race/religion/creed that guy was. He didn't deserve to be shot 6 times.

What I can't seem to find, which my main point was, was the number of these minorities shot by police are astronomically shot by a minority police.

White police are not out gunning down minorities as the media makes it seem.
Who cares? Cops shouldn't be shooting unarmed citizens period. Doesn't matter what race the cop is.

If unnecessary/extreme police behavior/brutality goes away so will the media's agenda.

Anyone know why the other officer dove at to tackle the guy? In the 47 sec video I saw, it seemed that they did this immediately without giving the guy any alternative to being tackled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT