ADVERTISEMENT

Another player accuses Wilson of mistreatment

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
I don't know. This is just more of the same of what we've already heard. I don't think the kid is lying but it does help continue to give us a picture of what the culture was. I see football as a brash sport that embraces the rugged toughness and berating of players to harden their skin. It's something the military has been known for and whether we agree with the approach or not, it does build a tougher mindset. That was what the coach was so badly trying to establish. To me, a good coach knows when to tone it down and when to turn it up. If not anything else, THAT is what CKW failed to do while at IU. I don't look at this and feel appalled at Wilson's actions but I also don't necessarily condone his actions.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-alleges-mistreatment-kevin-wilson/670904001/

Reactions: Flooded Timber
Only consistent thing I found from everyone of these kids is that they also failed at the next place they went to play. As someone who has led it's amazing how certain groups can actively work to portray you.

Last edited:
Interesting timing. I thought most of this had passed and we had moved on. I wonder why this information didn't come out in December.

Reactions: td75
Someone is trying to take KW all the way out. Why else would they just now dig this story up months and months after his ouster??? Man, someone is trying to take his career all the way out is what it seems like. Shouldn't this story have been lumped in with the other stories when he was fired?

Why would Keel contact the media now and come out with this?? Strange.

Take it to the Ohio State Board! ;):D;) (That's just a joke YOTHN)

Sounds like either the guy in the article is hoping to get in on a class action lawsuit against Kevin or the writer just hates KW's guts... Who knows?

The reality is that we are all probably a little bit right on the KW topic. My personal (extremely limited) interactions with him were quite positive, while evidently those of others were completely opposite.

Whatever the truth, he's gone now (as IU's head coach). I, for one, am moving on...

Reactions: YOTHN
I don't know. This is just more of the same of what we've already heard. I don't think the kid is lying but it does help continue to give us a picture of what the culture was. I see football as a brash sport that embraces the rugged toughness and berating of players to harden their skin. It's something the military has been known for and whether we agree with the approach or not, it does build a tougher mindset. That was what the coach was so badly trying to establish. To me, a good coach knows when to tone it down and when to turn it up. If not anything else, THAT is what CKW failed to do while at IU. I don't look at this and feel appalled at Wilson's actions but I also don't necessarily condone his actions.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-alleges-mistreatment-kevin-wilson/670904001/

Meh. DBAP

Wilson sounds like my high school coach. I was told to get out on the field while getting treatment fin the training room or a deep thigh bruise. Wilson was likely an ass like some old coach he once had. We all played when it was permissible to throw a kid on the field after getting their "bell rung". I'm not defending Wilson, but it wouldn't surprise me to find more out there like him.

Wilson sounds like my high school coach. I was told to get out on the field while getting treatment fin the training room or a deep thigh bruise. Wilson was likely an ass like some old coach he once had. We all played when it was permissible to throw a kid on the field after getting their "bell rung". I'm not defending Wilson, but it wouldn't surprise me to find more out there like him.

For sure. I have only heard him calling names but it's not like he went all Woody Johnson on a kid. He put pressure on kids who were under performing or sitting out due to injury........oooook. Not a method I would go by but I experienced this in middle school football and understood the purpose behind it. Some are just softer than others and football just isn't for them. That isn't a bash but it is reality.

Moving along....

CORRECTION: Woody Hayes. :)

Last edited:
it's not like he went all Woody Johnson on a kid. He put pressure on kids who were under performing or sitting out due to injury........oooook
If you're hurt, it's not your fault.

And, while the Jets are perennial underperformers, I think you meant Woody Hayes.

Reactions: YOTHN
For sure. I have only heard him calling names but it's not like he went all Woody Johnson on a kid. He put pressure on kids who were under performing or sitting out due to injury........oooook. Not a method I would go by but I experienced this in middle school football and understood the purpose behind it. Some are just softer than others and football just isn't for them. That isn't a bash but it is reality.

Moving along....

Chuck Pagano, by all accounts, is the ultimate players coach. Some say he's soft. And he calls people out for spending too much time in the training room. He went so far as to say that they needed more grown men to step up and play.

I understand that there is a difference between college and pro athletes. But I think it's just something coaches do.

If you're hurt, it's not your fault.

And, while the Jets are perennial underperformers, I think you meant Woody Hayes.

HAHAHAHA Yes, Woody Hayes. I just now got my coffee. Ugh.

No, being hurt isn't someones fault. That's a certainty. The question is, how soon does that player return? I think the idea behind Wilson being so oddly belligerent was to make the injury tent a not so fun place. This would hinder people from ever wanting to be in there let alone stay in there unnecessarily.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Someone is trying to take KW all the way out. Why else would they just now dig this story up months and months after his ouster??? Man, someone is trying to take his career all the way out is what it seems like. Shouldn't this story have been lumped in with the other stories when he was fired?

Why would Keel contact the media now and come out with this?? Strange.

If they were "out to get Wilson", it would have happened before the IU/OSU game, not now.

Reactions: muubell
If they were "out to get Wilson", it would have happened before the IU/OSU game, not now.

I'm not sure it would have. I would love to know when and how Osterman received this information. I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but timing seems strange.

I'm not sure it would have. I would love to know when and how Osterman received this information. I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but timing seems strange.
There have been a few former players recently on Twitter reaching out to reporters to get
interviews regarding KW. I'm not sure what's so unusual about it. People talk when they want to talk.

Cardinal rule of journalism: When there is nothing of interest to report new, rehashing an old scandal makes an acceptable alternative.

I'm not commenting here at all on CKW's behavior or firing. Just offering an explanation for the timing of the story.

There have been a few former players recently on Twitter reaching out to reporters to get
interviews regarding KW. I'm not sure what's so unusual about it. People talk when they want to talk.

Which players are reaching out? If it is twitter based, I assume it is not totally private request.

Cardinal rule of journalism: When there is nothing of interest to report new, rehashing an old scandal makes an acceptable alternative.

I'm not commenting here at all on CKW's behavior or firing. Just offering an explanation for the timing of the story.
Just a quick point, Coug: I spent 20 years in journalism and had my share of slow news days and even slow news weeks. Never -- not once -- did I ever "rehash and old scandal" and such an approach was unacceptable to me and to my editors. And my experience ranges from the smallest daily newspaper in Indiana to the world's largest newspaper chain.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
I find it ironic that the same week we are talking about how Wilson mistreated injured players, J-Shun Harris is nominated for the Orange Bowl Courage Award. He spent two years injured, and he's still on the team.

J-Shun's take would be interesting to hear. Wilson was fired for being an ass hole is what I gather. It can be HOTLY debated as to whether an ass hole should be fired.

Oh well, Glass didn't like him and figured out a clever way to dismiss him. This would've been almost impossible had Wilson's other teams made bowl games like they should have.

J-Shun's take would be interesting to hear. Wilson was fired for being an ass hole is what I gather. It can be HOTLY debated as to whether an ass hole should be fired.

Oh well, Glass didn't like him and figured out a clever way to dismiss him. This would've been almost impossible had Wilson's other teams made bowl games like they should have.

I'm waiting for the tell-all book to be released by CKW's designated driver. It will be juicy.

Reactions: td75
No doubt, that would definitely be on my to buy/read list!! I still think it's a rather strange firing...just wow.

ADVERTISEMENT