ADVERTISEMENT

Another Greg Oden article.

Would love to see this guy find some inner peace in his life. I'm also rooting for Todd Marinovich.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...was-blessing-greg-oden-headed-back-ohio-state

Good article, hope he does well also. Didn't know all the details of what he's been through. It sounds like OSU is treating him well, but this to me is one of the big benefits of going to IU over most other schools: the doors it leaves open and resources available that come with being a bball star at IU. I've lived in Cbus and I have no doubt he can walk around campus unrecognized. There's also little way for him to profit off being a Buckeye bballer, unless he can catch on with the coaching staff or broadcast team. Whereas IU would still offer a former star lots of endorsement opps, business/alumni contacts, opps for camps, etc... Oden's situation is a great example for why this might be important on down the road.

Good article, hope he does well also. Didn't know all the details of what he's been through. It sounds like OSU is treating him well, but this to me is one of the big benefits of going to IU over most other schools: the doors it leaves open and resources available that come with being a bball star at IU. I've lived in Cbus and I have no doubt he can walk around campus unrecognized. There's also little way for him to profit off being a Buckeye bballer, unless he can catch on with the coaching staff or broadcast team. Whereas IU would still offer a former star lots of endorsement opps, business/alumni contacts, opps for camps, etc... Oden's situation is a great example for why this might be important on down the road.
I disagree with this. Yes, OSU is a football school, but their big-name basketball alums aren't exactly forgotten in and around Ohio. I actually saw Oden in a restaurant not far from OSU's campus about a year or so ago (Northstar on High St. ) and while people weren't bothering him for the most part, it was clear that everyone knew he was there.

I'm guessing that whatever Oden would like to get into post-basketball, someone in the OSU alumni-network will give him an opportunity.

Reactions: cryano
I disagree with this. Yes, OSU is a football school, but their big-name basketball alums aren't exactly forgotten in and around Ohio. I actually saw Oden in a restaurant not far from OSU's campus about a year or so ago (Northstar on High St. ) and while people weren't bothering him for the most part, it was clear that everyone knew he was there.

I'm guessing that whatever Oden would like to get into post-basketball, someone in the OSU alumni-network will give him an opportunity.

I don't have any knowledge about how Ohio St fans help or treat past stars/players so I won't comment on it but to me this is where I wish the people at the NCAA would do the right thing.

Pick 5-6 guys and let's just call them former stars who either had injury cut career short or busts or lost $.....or whatever the situation might be. Have them tour the country speaking to teams/players/universities,etc...

Win win situation for NCAA and players. Players can remain active in the game. NCAA looks like they care enough.

Overstated IMO. He played for a title and was the #1 pick vs. playing for Mike Davis running Orlando 1. It's hard to question the decision he made.

Overstated IMO. He played for a title and was the #1 pick vs. playing for Mike Davis running Orlando 1. It's hard to question the decision he made.

I guess I'm just thinking of it more as part of the pitch I'd use to recruits in trying to sway them to IU over other schools, more than Oden's situation specifically. You are correct, in terms of his college success, although Davis coached in a Final game also with much less talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT