ADVERTISEMENT

Another 3 Star forward?

Jan 6, 2017
I read on another site that Archie will soon be having another '18 3 star forward in for an official visit.

One thing we were told when Archie was hired was, "He doesn't use up all his scholarships and only likes to have 11 players on the team."

And yet, when we have a glaring need for a big guy and a guard, he's STILL going after 3 Star forwards.....a position we have a glut at.

Is this all part of his "grand slam killer recruiting" I keep reading about? If he can't get a guard and/or big man, why not save the spots instead of pulling a Crean and just putting bodies in there with kids who will probably never see the floor and not leave room for recruits in '19?

I read on another site that Archie will soon be having another '18 3 star forward in for an official visit.

One thing we were told when Archie was hired was, "He doesn't use up all his scholarships and only likes to have 11 players on the team."

And yet, when we have a glaring need for a big guy and a guard, he's STILL going after 3 Star forwards.....a position we have a glut at.

Is this all part of his "grand slam killer recruiting" I keep reading about? If he can't get a guard and/or big man, why not save the spots instead of pulling a Crean and just putting bodies in there with kids who will probably never see the floor and not leave room for recruits in '19?
I wouldn't say we have a glaring need at guard unless it is Romeo. We will have Green, Jones, Phinesse and Durham so that is 4 pretty good guards. I am not going to panic about the ratings of the players Miller is recruiting this year. This is his first class and had to make up a lot of ground in this class.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

A. We literally got a commitment from a point guard (who is a four star on 2 or 3 other sites) this week and you whined about it.

B. Who are all these three star forwards that you're referring to? The two forwards we have committed for 2018 are both consensus four stars, and Race Thompson for 2017 is a four star on 2 or 3 other sites (like Phinisee). Even the two forwards that he kept from Crean's last class are four stars. So I honestly have no idea who you're even talking about.

C. The 2018 class is pretty horrific in terms of big men. That is why, if you'll notice, the staff is being very aggressive on post players in the 2019 class.

D. You understand that coaches recruit/invite many more players in for visits than they're actually going to take, right?

E. The guy has been on the job for like five months, currently has a top 10 recruiting class, a really good shot to bump it up to a top 5 class considering we have a good chance with Romeo, and a lot of recruiting momentum right now. And yet you've kind of been throwing a fit on here for the past week. Why?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say we have a glaring need at guard unless it is Romeo. We will have Green, Jones, Phinesse and Durham so that is 4 pretty good guards. I am not going to panic about the ratings of the players Miller is recruiting this year. This is his first class and had to make up a lot of ground in this class.
You shouldn't even have to make the "I'm not going to panic about the ratings" statement. The guy has a top 10 class right now. Obviously a lot is going to change, but that goes for us too with the Romeo situation.

That's only 4 guards for 2 spots...3 of them are 3 Star guards.

Why invite him in when the LAST position we need is forward?
We have absolutely no idea. I won't be the least bit concerned until someone commits who is below IU's standard.

Maybe he has a great relationship with the kid's HS or AAU coach and he's giving the kid a look out of respect. Maybe he has a younger brother. Maybe he's just underrated. The bottom line is you and I don't know. Let it play out. The guy has done pretty well thus far. Take a deep breath and step back from the ledge already.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
2 are 4 stars in Jones and Phinesse

Robert is a borderline 4 star. Considering he's small and not a super athlete, forgive me for not putting him solidly in that category.

And as a 4 Star, Jones wasn't amazing last year either. One or two good games. Dude played like a 3 Star. Can't put that all on Crean.

So, we have 4 guards who aren't awesome with a glut of forwards....and Archie is going after even more forwards.....even though we were told he likes to save scholarships.

Last edited:
Reactions: fall city
Robert is a borderline 4 star. Considering he's small and not a super athlete, forgive me for not putting him solidly in that category.

And as a 4 Star, Jones wasn't amazing last year either. One or two good games. Can't put that all on Crean.

So, we have 4 guards who aren't awesome with a glut of forwards....and Archie is going after even more forwards.....even though we were told he likes to save scholarships.
You were told this by Peegs and Rabby...not exactly the most credible sources. Their track record is far from impressive in predictions.

Reactions: T.M.P.
You were told this by Peegs and Rabby...not exactly the most credible sources. Their track record is far from impressive in predictions.[/QU

I assume the OP is talking about Jake Forrester, out of PA, correct? If so, here are some thoughts on him:

1. He was originally ranked much higher--in the 80-90 range overall. Now he's down to 154 on the 247 Composite. Not sure why the drop---haven't seen any explanation for it. Has anyone else? He's got a very good offer list for someone ranked at 154.
2. On his highlights he looks very athletic & coordinated. He looks like a wiry but strong guy kind of like Jeff Newton. Big jumper. One odd thing I noticed is that he doesn't elevate on his jump shots. I assume that could be fixed.
3. I've seen him listed at 6'8" and at 6'9"....I think we're looking at him for fear that Davis may go pro at the end of the year. We really have no shot at a decent big man in this class, and they may see JF as an athletic defender and the tallest talented option we have for '17. Yes, there are other possibilities for '18, but that leaves a gap for 2018-19.
4. From what I see, I think we're down to Duke, Langford and JF at this point for the last 2 '17 'ships. I know we have a shot at others, but that's the way I read things.
5. If we get Langford +1 this year, we're down to only 1 'ship for '18 unless things change (which they probably will), but I'm not sure everyone sees the '18 scholarship crunch.

What 3 star are you referring to? I want to see where they are ranked in all the services.

A. We literally got a commitment from a point guard (who is a four star on 2 or 3 other sites) this week and you whined about it.

B. Who are all these three star forwards that you're referring to? The two forwards we have committed for 2018 are both consensus four stars, and Race Thompson for 2017 is a four star on 2 or 3 other sites (like Phinisee). Even the two forwards that he kept from Crean's last class are four stars. So I honestly have no idea who you're even talking about.

C. The 2018 class is pretty horrific in terms of big men. That is why, if you'll notice, the staff is being very aggressive on post players in the 2019 class.

D. You understand that coaches recruit/invite many more players in for visits than they're actually going to take, right?

E. The guy has been on the job for like five months, currently has a top 10 recruiting class, a really good shot to bump it up to a top 5 class considering we have a good chance with Romeo, and a lot of recruiting momentum right now. And yet you've kind of been throwing a fit on here for the past week. Why?

pwned

I'm new to this site, and am having a little problem navigating the replies, so bear with me......

To add to what I said about Forrester above (which is mostly hidden unless you click on it), Forrester has offers from Pitt, VT, X, SH, VCU, ND, ASU, GT, KSU, Miami, Minn, PSU, Prov, and Vandy, which is a pretty good list for someone at #155.....

Also, like AM's other 4 recruits to date, his talent is not repetitive of his other recruits--he looks like an interior presence but is completely different in style from Thompson, fwiw.

Reactions: RBB89

And as a 4 Star, Jones wasn't amazing last year either. One or two good games. Dude played like a 3 Star. Can't put that all on Crean.

Lighten up, Francis. IU is on the uptrend. You are still cranky.

Race is the only true forward of the bunch..... demezi is a 2/3 catch and shoot right now. Hunter is anywhere from 2-4 and even brings up the ball for his AAU team. I for one will chose to trust CAM until/if he proves himself wrong. We do not need a true big, I know every one loves the true big but is not needed with pack line D.

I like the classes he is looking to build out early on. They are very reminiscent of Matt Painters early years at PU. He is getting a solid foundation of high end 4 year players who will commit to his style of play. As they progress, you will see him begin to fill gaps with more ready based talent depending upon need. For now, we have to get the ground level in place before building the 3rd floor.

Lighten up, Francis. IU is on the uptrend. You are still cranky.

I just asked a question, snowflake.

Go back to your safe space.

Unlike you "real" fans, I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker that thinks the coach is PERFECT until the very end.

I was one of the first to call for Knight's head and was told I was crazy....until many/most agreed it was time for him to go.

Same with Crean.

I'm NOT saying I'm dropping my support of him over this. I'm asking why another 3 Star forward....especially since we have a glut of them and, even more, we were told he saves scholarships.

No need to take it personally.

Unlike you "real" fans, I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker that thinks the coach is PERFECT until the very end.

I was one of the first to call for Knight's head and was told I was crazy....until many/most agreed it was time for him to go.

Same with Crean.

I'm NOT saying I'm dropping my support of him over this. I'm asking why another 3 Star forward....especially since we have a glut of them and, even more, we were told he saves scholarships.

I was calling for RMK to be fired on this site in 1997

1) How am I "whining"?

2) What stud guard did we get? Robert is a borderline 4 Star that even as a senior, a 5 Star one-and-done will eat alive.
1. Your mouth is open? lol j/k

2. So we're talking about this years squad? I thought we were talking about next, since the recruit, if he signs, which I highly doubt because unless he's something special we don't need him, wouldn't play until next season. btw - he's rated as a 4 by ESPN, so a composite of the 3 major sites would make him a 3.3.

You expected Arch to sign a stud 5 star this year? Ugh, that's a unreachable expectation for almost every coach except Calipari with his runners and cases of $50 pre-paid credit cards.

Players improve every year, especially frosh to soph. You have no idea, currently, how good or bad CJ, and/or DG will be this year. Plus, their roles are changing, we have a new coach. One that isn't a complete spaz. And you also have no idea where Langford will end up.

I think he ends up here, it's nothing but a biased feeling at this point but from what I've heard (from people who know such things) if he likes the product on the court this year, we have a very good chance. I'd like to think he will ..because I have faith in our coach, for the first time since 1999...

1. Your mouth is open? lol j/k

2. So we're talking about this years squad? I thought we were talking about next, since the recruit, if he signs, which I highly doubt because unless he's something special we don't need him, wouldn't play until next season. btw - he's rated as a 4 by ESPN, so a composite of the 3 major sites would make him a 3.3.

You expected Arch to sign a stud 5 star this year? Ugh, that's a unreachable expectation for almost every coach except Calipari with his runners and cases of $50 pre-paid credit cards.

Players improve every year, especially frosh to soph. You have no idea, currently, how good or bad CJ, and/or DG will be this year. Plus, their roles are changing, we have a new coach. One that isn't a complete spaz. And you also have no idea where Langford will end up.

I think he ends up here, it's nothing but a biased feeling at this point but from what I've heard (from people who know such things) if he likes the product on the court this year, we have a very good chance. I'd like to think he will ..because I have faith in our coach, for the first time since 1999...

FWIW, brother Sean didn't land his first RSCI Top 50 prospect at Arizona until year 3.

FWIW, brother Sean didn't land his first RSCI Top 50 prospect at Arizona until year 3.
If you look at how Sean builds his rosters, Arch should be very similar. First, they both prefer high IQ PGs who are willing to guard.

Where a common Crean lineup would be 6'0, 6'3, 6'3, 6'7, 6'9, you'll eventually see more 6'2, 6'5, 6'6, 6'9, 6'9 ... the 2, 3 need length to close on 3pt shooters in a pack line. The more length and height they have the more they can cheat towards the drive and the more effective the defense is.

Having 6'2 and 6'3 players in those positions mean they have to play closer the the 3pt line, increases the gap and it makes the defensive help less effective. That's why Arch is recruiting the big wings, they fit his style of defense.

A pack line can give up wide open threes if the 2 and 3 can't cover the space.

Last edited:
If you look at how Sean builds his rosters, Arch should be very similar. First, they both prefer high IQ PGs who are willing to guard.

Where a common Crean lineup would be 6'0, 6'3, 6'3, 6'7, 6'9, you'll eventually see more 6'2, 6'5, 6'7, 6'8, 6'9 ... the 2, 3 need length to close on 3pt shooters in a pack line. The more length and height they have the more they can cheat towards the drive and the more effective the defense is.

Having 6'2 and 6'3 players in those positions mean they have to play closer the the 3pt line, increases the gap and it makes the defensive help less effective. That's why Arch is recruiting the big wings, they fit his style of defense.

A pack line can give up wide open threes if the 2 and 3 can't cover.

Yet Robert is listed at 5'11", IIRC, which means he's probably 5'9".....and not super athletic.

Just saw a Tweet from Rabs where Garland is setting an official for IU. If we get him, I wonder if Robert changes his mind.

fwiw .. I'm leaning towards this as our starters this year. Mostly because of what I stated above. Of course players need to develop for this to happen.
RJ
CJ (or DG)
JS (or CJ, CH)
JM
DD

fwiw .. I'm leaning towards this as our starters this year. Mostly because of what I stated above. Of course players need to develop for this to happen.
RJ
CJ (or DG)
JS (or CJ, CH)
JM
DD

This is the way I see it too, at least by the traditional start of Big Ten season. What is tremendous about this is you've got 3 quality seniors coming in off the bench. This could be a very, very undervalued roster, especially with the jockey change from Rosie O'Donnell to Pat Day:D

Reactions: T.M.P.
This is the way I see it too, at least by the traditional start of Big Ten season. What is tremendous about this is you've got 3 quality seniors coming in off the bench. This could be a very, very undervalued roster, especially with the jockey change from Rosie O'Donnell to Pat Day:D
Really need someone to step into the lead scoring role. DD and RJ were both top 5% per minute, but I'd like to see it be someone else that's not as reliant on others. CJ last year had exceptional numbers until he lost his confidence as the mid season Crean fog of confusion set in. JM is going to have the ball in his hands a lot this year.

Really need someone to step into the lead scoring role. DD and RJ were both top 5% per minute, but I'd like to see it be someone else that's not as reliant on others. CJ last year had exceptional numbers until he lost his confidence as the mid season Crean fog of confusion set in. JM is going to have the ball in his hands a lot this year.

Yeah, I think that if this team is as big a surprise as I think it could be, Curtis Jones will be a big part of the reason.

Same with Crean.

Maybe not all forwards listed on a fookin database share the same skill sets. Maybe, just maybe, he brings other tangibles to the table that CAM sees a need at the present time.

Maybe not all forwards listed on a fookin database share the same skill sets. Maybe, just maybe, he brings other tangibles to the table that CAM sees a need at the present time.

We already have 6 of them. How many "skill sets" are there.....especially from 3 Stars?

I'll get concerned if Archie makes a habit of 3 star and below recruits (like Crean). One every now and then is fine. There are underrated 3 star kids in each class. I'm not going to overreact to one single recruit - good or bad.

Same with Crean.

You sound like a little hoe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT