ADVERTISEMENT

Anderson

Hoosier_Phenom

Sophomore
Mar 13, 2017
Do we actually have a shot or is he Purdue bound? I was wondering is he a great get for us we if did land him and how good he actually is since I have never seen him play.

Anderson is a great talent...but probably not a player IU wants. Not a team player nor one that is interested in working hard.

Reactions: baileyiu
I have no direct experience with ND, but is it really likely it's harder for an athlete to get in there than into IU or Purdue?
Yes a big difference. those teams can take a guy with just the minimum requirements for a kid to be academically eligible by the NCAA clearinghouse. ND, Stanford, Nw do not take those kids.

I have no direct experience with ND, but is it really likely it's harder for an athlete to get in there than into IU or Purdue?
Yes. IU and Purdue have had special admissions for athletes for decades. ND rarely has done that and, when they have, it's been on a very limited basis.

Yes a big difference. those teams can take a guy with just the minimum requirements for a kid to be academically eligible by the NCAA clearinghouse. ND, Stanford, Nw do not take those kids.

Is Duke in that same category? Because if so, Josh McRoberts wouldn't have gotten in on his academics. Not even close.

Reactions: mazz
Is Duke in that same category? Because if so, Josh McRoberts wouldn't have gotten in on his academics. Not even close.
I have no clue on Duke. I just know Nd has certain requirements for admission. Mandatory that calculus was taken and a foreign language. Then a certain test score must be attained. Nd had a committment from Isaiah McKenzie a 4 star wr but he couldn't get in after his test scores so he went to Georgia

ND, Stanford and Northwestern are known to be very stringent. In the BiG, Illinois and Wisconsin join Northwestern as the school's known to be the most difficult for athletes to gain special admissions.

ND, Stanford and Northwestern are known to be very stringent. In the BiG, Illinois and Wisconsin join Northwestern as the school's known to be the most difficult for athletes to gain special admissions.

I know there have been discussions at Purdue about admissions standards I believe for math requirements. I don't remember the specifics but I think it requires more math than other schools? There have been plenty of people who want that changed to be able to admit players.

This is 24karat bullshit. There are programs with higher standards than IU and Pu. Nd is not one of them.

Last edited:
This is absolutely true. It's well known that ND (and Stanford, NU, and a few others) admissions standards for athletes are more stringent.

Reactions: bsmitty08
This is 24karat bullshit. There are programs with higher standards than IU and Pu. Nd is not one of them.
My daughter was recruited by Notre Dame for academics. At the meeting they gave u information on what classes all freshman must take. The classes that stuck out were calc. foreign language and chemistry. Stanford is harder to get into but easier once you get in.

My daughter was recruited by Notre Dame for academics. At the meeting they gave u information on what classes all freshman must take. The classes that stuck out were calc. foreign language and chemistry. Stanford is harder to get into but easier once you get in.
Much of the difference in admissions is on required "core" courses, even for athletes, but there is definitely a difference both in the requirements as well as latitude to deviate from them (there isn't much at ND, while IU and most other schools give a bit more discretion to the admissions people based on agreed protocols with the athletic department).

In the BiG, NU, Illinois and Wisconsin are the least flexible, with UNL, Iowa and MSU generally considered the most open to finding a way for kids to get in. Everyone else, to varying degrees, comes between those goalposts. Still recall an all BiG player who couldn't get into IU but was admitted to Michigan, and it was a core course issue.

Suffice to say it's become tougher to get in and stay in just about everywhere, though SA's should do fine given the level of support available to them.

I have no clue on Duke. I just know Nd has certain requirements for admission. Mandatory that calculus was taken and a foreign language. Then a certain test score must be attained. Nd had a committment from Isaiah McKenzie a 4 star wr but he couldn't get in after his test scores so he went to Georgia

“First of all, we don’t have a minimum GPA or test score for either the general student population or for athletes,” Bishop said.

http://articles.southbendtribune.co...ll-prospects-john-foley-notre-dame-admissions

it is well known under Holtz ND let in a few they normally don't. Today it's not common...jack swarbrick has been quoted that Nd has to shop down a different aisle when it comes to recruiting.

Holtz has been gone for 20+ years.

Kelly and Brey know they accept at risk kids. They say as much.

I'd bet Anderson would get in any school that wanted him as long as he's an NCAA qualifier.

I'm not arguing. I'm just pointing out that a lot of that is bull 'ish.

Reactions: mazz

I'd bet Anderson would get in any school that wanted him as long as he's an NCAA qualifier.

I follow ND recruiting as closely as IU in Past 3 years multiple guys that committed ended up de committing because they didn't meet certain requirements. Also there has been guys they simply don't offer because they know they won't succeed at Nad once they are there. Donit may not be an actual Number on GPA or test but I know they are very strict who they let in.

So you're saying it's a lot different now than some years ago. I worked with a guy who was a grad student there and he implied or said jocks got treated differently in class.

I follow ND recruiting as closely as IU in Past 3 years multiple guys that committed ended up de committing because they didn't meet certain requirements. Also there has been guys they simply don't offer because they know they won't succeed at Nad once they are there. Donit may not be an actual Number on GPA or test but I know they are very strict who they let in.

Eh. That's pretty thin.

I'll continue to believe it's hogwash. We can just disagree like reasonable people.

You should re-read the article you posted.

No it isn't but ok. Multiple in state kids Nd couldn't recruit that ended up at IU.

There have been 4 instate kids come to IU in 5 years. I'd be shocked if ND couldn't recruit more than one of those.

But, I have no idea. And, I don't care that much.

I just 'think' that the academic standards thing is an excuse made when ND football isn't very good.

There have been 4 instate kids come to IU in 5 years. I'd be shocked if ND couldn't recruit more than one of those.

But, I have no idea. And, I don't care that much.

I just 'think' that the academic standards thing is an excuse made when ND football isn't very good.
Nope not at all. Nile Sykes for instance did t get summer acceptance to ND and ended up at IU

ADVERTISEMENT