ADVERTISEMENT

And Just Like Clock Work...

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
The Indiana Department of Transportation finds a way to blow 7 + months of less traffic and good weather to wait to begin work on State Road 37 between Indianapolis and Martinsville until........(wait for it...)..., the Big Ten decides to start playing football... and INDOT decides to begin work on this section next week...

Literally the day that the Big Ten announces they will flip flop for the $$$$$ and bow to Ohio $tates' tantrums, INDOT (once again) finds a way to make it damn near impossible to drive to Bloomington (from Indianapolis)...

Well you will be comforted to know that it will knock off like 15 minutes off from Eville to Indy when complete.🤔

I don't know how to describe the deep Primal Scream that I just let out upon reading that... (triggered by how much inconvenience and and many Tax dollars this lifetime jobs for INDOT project has cost.....).....

. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! ((That's a lower octave Primal Growl)...:mad:

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Well you will be comforted to know that it will knock off like 15 minutes off from Eville to Indy when complete.🤔
It already saves 35 - 40 minutes from Martinsville to Evansville. Don't take my word for it, even though I make that trip regularly. Take Ind 67 to Ind 57 from Martinsville to Evansville, then drive I69 back to Martinsville. Judge for yourself.

If they are coming from north of Martinsville they'd better add an hour to their driving plans...

Therll probly be no tailgating if fans are allowed at games, NFL wont even allow it! So probly no need to leave to early! Now i just wonder what students will do at halftime since they wont be allowed in the tailgating fields!? Mise well stay for the whole game!

Reactions: vesuvius13
It already saves 35 - 40 minutes from Martinsville to Evansville. Don't take my word for it, even though I make that trip regularly. Take Ind 67 to Ind 57 from Martinsville to Evansville, then drive I69 back to Martinsville. Judge for yourself.

I believe he was exaggerating for humors sake.

Do you believe all this inconvenience and money spent was worth shaving 40 minutes off your drive time?

Aside from Detroit gaining a more direct route to Mexico I can't see any need for this whole boondoggle.

Good to hear at least someone in Indiana is actually benefiting in some small way however...

//Back to my original OP... INDOT has found novel ways to snarl traffic on SR37 during football season going clear back to the early 80's... Personally, I find it hard to believe that's a coincidence...//

-My guess is they're too insulated to realize that there aren't as many fans affected this season...-

I believe he was exaggerating for humors sake.

Do you believe all this inconvenience and money spent was worth shaving 40 minutes off your drive time?

Aside from Detroit gaining a more direct route to Mexico I can't see any need for this whole boondoggle.

Good to hear at least someone in Indiana is actually benefiting in some small way however...

//Back to my original OP... INDOT has found novel ways to snarl traffic on SR37 during football season going clear back to the early 80's... Personally, I find it hard to believe that's a coincidence...//

-My guess is they're too insulated to realize that there aren't as many fans affected this season...-
I suppose you could ask that question about any interstate, or for that matter about any road ever upgraded from a cow path. And Detroit was dead years before I69 was a thing.

Also worth noting that neither GPC (which I believe is Daviess County's largest employer) nor Toyota (which is the largest employer in Southern Indiana) would be located in Southern Indiana without I69 - so there's that.

Last edited:
I suppose you could ask that question about any interstate, or for that matter about any road ever upgraded from a cow path. And Detroit was dead years before I69 was a thing.

Better let the Detroit drug dealers know. They're still making big bucks up there..., and will soon have an unobstructed truck route to a source...(not to mention the big three auto makers who've moved to the suburbs but still benefit from the connection [as you well know])...

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Better let drug dealers know. They're still making big bucks up there (not to mention the big three auto makers who've moved to the suburbs but still benefit from the connection [as you well know])...
Data pretty strongly suggests that wherever economic death occurs, drug dealing becomes a lucrative trade. Just ask the folks in Connersville, Indiana - not exactly an urban center and nowhere near a route to Mexico.

Better let the Detroit drug dealers know. They're still making big bucks up there..., will soon have an unobstructed truck route to a source...(not to mention the big three auto makers who've moved to the suburbs but still benefit from the connection [as you well know])...
Any drug runner who used I69 is dumber than a box of rocks. The Feds and local police will be monitoring I69 constantly. You hear all the time how some drug runners are busted on I65 between Chicago and Indy.

Any drug runner who used I69 is dumber than a box of rocks. The Feds and local police will be monitoring I69 constantly. You hear all the time how some drug runners are busted on I65 between Chicago and Indy.

Shhhh...

Most drug runners aren't valedictorians...

• Haha
The Indiana Department of Transportation finds a way to blow 7 + months of less traffic and good weather to wait to begin work on State Road 37 between Indianapolis and Martinsville until........(wait for it...)..., the Big Ten decides to start playing football... and INDOT decides to begin work on this section next week...

Literally the day that the Big Ten announces they will flip flop for the $$$$$ and bow to Ohio $tates' tantrums, INDOT (once again) finds a way to make it damn near impossible to drive to Bloomington (from Indianapolis)...

I don't know where you live...I live in Bloomington.

You can set a clock by road construction...they just completed a whole "upgrade" (reducing 46 to a single lane just East of the city...starting at the 446/46 intersection...essentially to add bike lanes...) that'll work great once people start going to work and not telecommuting.

It just defies logic.

Another great example....they started work in Martinsville some time ago...and then tore up 67....making it impossible to get to the airport from South central Indiana. I hope that rodeo is over by the time I start travelling again.

Good grief.

I would be interested in their defense of this. They will have one of course.

Reactions: 76-1
I've always thought I65 had to be one of the busiest drug routes in America. There's sizeable cities everywhere along its route. Nashville, Louisville, Indy and Chicago produce a heavy demand...That doesn't even include Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile.

I love the I-69 because it allows me to get back to Bloomington from Nashville, TN in 4 hours. As far as the drug runner nonsense, do any of you really drive the stretch from Bloomington to KY regularly? I do and I never see cops out there. Never. It's also eerily dark because there are no lights and there are also no businesses close to any of the exits except for the Bloomfield one. They didn't add water or utilities, so there's no infrastructure to build a gas station or coffee shop right off the exits. You have to drive into whatever small town is nearby to get gas.

I've always thought I65 had to be one of the busiest drug routes in America. There's sizeable cities everywhere along its route. Nashville, Louisville, Indy and Chicago produce a heavy demand...That doesn't even include Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile.

Smart people mail their droogz. The USPS is the biggest drug runner in the USA.

I love the I-69 because it allows me to get back to Bloomington from Nashville, TN in 4 hours. As far as the drug runner nonsense, do any of you really drive the stretch from Bloomington to KY regularly? I do and I never see cops out there. Never. It's also eerily dark because there are no lights and there are also no businesses close to any of the exits except for the Bloomfield one. They didn't add water or utilities, so there's no infrastructure to build a gas station or coffee shop right off the exits. You have to drive into whatever small town is nearby to get gas.
Huh? I live in Eddyville, Ky area and it's probably 3.5 hours for me to Bloomington going through Evansville. How are you making it in 4 hours from Nashville??

That has been the plan all along, resist, delay, obstruct. Hello Waters of U.S.

Huh? I live in Eddyville, Ky area and it's probably 3.5 hours for me to Bloomington going through Evansville. How are you making it in 4 hours from Nashville??

Seriously? I live south of Nashville and come up on the I-24, connect with the Pennyrile Pkwy in KY, and then cross the bridge and take the 1-69 to Bloomington. My folks still live right near the intersection of Fairfax and Old 37 and I make it from my house to their house in exactly 4 hours every time. I set the cruise on 9 over and go.

I guess I drive like George did...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bubble_Boy_(Seinfeld)

MV5BZTY5YWNhNzQtOWZiMS00MTg2LTgwOTAtZTNkN2E0ZGJiZDdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: td75
I don't know where you live...I live in Bloomington.

You can set a clock by road construction...they just completed a whole "upgrade" (reducing 46 to a single lane just East of the city...starting at the 446/46 intersection...essentially to add bike lanes...) that'll work great once people start going to work and not telecommuting.

It just defies logic.

Another great example....they started work in Martinsville some time ago...and then tore up 67....making it impossible to get to the airport from South central Indiana. I hope that rodeo is over by the time I start travelling again.

Good grief.

The project you speak of is truly one of the dumbest road projects I've ever witnessed in Btown anyway. If anything they should have made more room for traffic with the new hospital now being built on that side of town. I imagine it had something to do with Bloomington's never ending attempts to be on "bike friendly" ! Whoever makes all the road decisions in Btown is in love with medians and must ride their bike everywhere.

The project you speak of is truly one of the dumbest road projects I've ever witnessed in Btown anyway. If anything they should have made more room for traffic with the new hospital now being built on that side of town. I imagine it had something to do with Bloomington's never ending attempts to be on "bike friendly" ! Whoever makes all the road decisions in Btown is in love with medians and must ride their bike everywhere.
This was an INDOT project, and I’m guessing there’s no love lost between them and Bloomington politicians.

We’d all be a lot better off with more folks on bikes. It’s by far the most elegant form of transport devised by man.

INDOT also installed a turn lane on SR 46 which was desperately needed. Before, cars turning would slow down an entire traffic lane and increase the risk of accidents.

ADVERTISEMENT