ADVERTISEMENT

And it begins.... Trump floats delaying election

while possibly not Trump's hope of delaying the election until the pandemic is over, don't be surprised if Pubs don't go for a more nuanced and strategic plan.

in Texas and possibly elsewhere, you must be 65 or over to be eligible for a mail in ballot.

look for this as the Pubs' "compromise" to Dems for allowing mail in voting, and age eligibility could be lowered to the mid 40s, which is the age today's voters start trending Pub, and away from Dem.

and this could be done while citing they are protecting the covid "at risk" age group.

this would enable things for Pub leaning demographics, and not for those Dem leaning, which is always the Pub strategy with voting rules and logistics.

and not enable college kids at school with state residency issues, to vote according to their home state.

you heard it here first.

States can't even run their unemployment systems to pay a certain % of a worker's wages.

You really think state voting systems are setup to discriminate by age (something that's constitutionally dubious).

When I said we have a population that loves loony conspiracy theories, I certainly had you in mind as part of that group

I think this subject is nuts on several levels. First and foremost there is no single national election for the president to issue any orders about. This a point lost on all those who keep yammering about the national popular vote. All elections are run by the states and there are 50 of those. Period!

The tweet is a total nothingburger.

You are certainly correct about the legal aspects.

You certainly ignore the political aspects of the President's behavior. Trump loves to fancy foot about with totalitarian language. It's by far the most corrosive element of his existence.

Fortunately the GOP actually backboned up today, and sent out basically every Senator known by name to totally dismiss Trump's call. By the end of the day, the fool had to walk back his own nonsense.

My view is we can vote in person if we give more days to vote. Make it five days, social distancing and masks. But everyone has to show an ID. We want truthful elections.

This is a reasonable take. I think there are much different needs in different parts of the country. Comparing a polling place in Appalachia to one in Manhattan is lunacy.

But counties run elections, with directions from their states. So things will rightly be all over the board.

My view is we can vote in person if we give more days to vote. Make it five days, social distancing and masks. But everyone has to show an ID. We want truthful elections.
That is the first ever sensible post you have made on this board. Congratulations, and keep it coming!

Having said that, that is not the reason why Trump wants to delay the vote by a year. I don’t need to spell it out, do I?

You are certainly correct about the legal aspects.

You certainly ignore the political aspects of the President's behavior. Trump loves to fancy foot about with totalitarian language. It's by far the most corrosive element of his existence.

Fortunately the GOP actually backboned up today, and sent out basically every Senator known by name to totally dismiss Trump's call. By the end of the day, the fool had to walk back his own nonsense.

So his latest "solvent injections" statement lasted less than 24 hrs. Getting better,

States can't even run their unemployment systems to pay a certain % of a worker's wages.

You really think state voting systems are setup to discriminate by age (something that's constitutionally dubious).

When I said we have a population that loves loony conspiracy theories, I certainly had you in mind as part of that group

th

th

th

th

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...s-call-holcomb-expand-mail-voting/5553686002/

"Indiana Vote by Mail files lawsuit
Attorney William Groth filed a lawsuit in April on behalf of Indiana Vote by Mail Inc., arguing that allowing only certain voters to cast absentee ballots during a national health emergency violates the equal protection clause in the 14th Amendment and the age-discrimination clause in the 26th Amendment.

Indiana law allows voting by mail for a number of reasons, such as being out of the country, being over 65 years old or being at work the entire time the polls are open. The list does not include the coronavirus". .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/su...ail-voting-all-texas-during-pandemic-n1232315

June 26, 2020, 6:06 PM EDT
By The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas — The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday rejected a request by Texas Democrats to allow all of the state’s 16 million registered voters to vote by mail during the coronavirus pandemic.

The denial is not the end of the ongoing battle over mail-in voting in Texas, but it remains a loss for Democrats who made the emergency ruling request while the original case is tied up at the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ana and Kentucky did so for their primaries.)

"The threat of the coronavirus is creating unprecedented demand for absentee ballots; many Republican lawmakers are responding by trying to limit access. There are laws on the books to help them in one regard. Currently, seven states permit only elderly voters to mail in their ballots: Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas grant this privilege to voters 65 and older; Tennessee extends it to those 60 and older; and Kentucky only bestows it upon voters of “advance age.” (None of these states have waived their age limit for the November election, though Indiana and Kentucky did so for their primaries.) Younger people who want to vote by mail must give a reason, such as a serious illness or absence from the state on Election Day. As New York magazine’s Ed Kilgore has noted, these laws effectively limit absentee voting to “Trump-approved groups,” older Americans who are much more likely to vote Republican".

Reactions: glmiu11
The states that could decide the election (like MI, WI) already have the statutory process in place. Michigan passed a ballot initiative previously, and by law, Wisconsin provides for No excuse requesting of absentee ballots.

I don't understand the absentee/vote by mail distinction you're making for CO. The SOS's website says...
"Q1. How do I receive my mail ballot?

A1. Every voter receives a mail ballot. The ballot will be sent to the mailing address you provided for your voter registration file. To check the address on file, or to make any changes to your voter registration visit www.GoVoteColorado.gov.

If you prefer to vote at the polls, you can vote in-person at a voter service and polling center. Please visit www.GoVoteColorado.gov to find your polling locations."

Everyone has the OPTION to vote by mail. If ANYONE has that option then EVERYONE should have that option...

How is that different from what I said? Absentee ballots are not sent to the registered address, that us why there is a difference. Your selected Q/A doesn’t address the registration process which is important.

No way Holcomb gets my vote if he goes this route. Is he another puppet? I really had hope for good republican values here. Are they dead?

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
No way Holcomb gets my vote if he goes this route. Is he another puppet? I really had hope for good republican values here. Are they dead?
I heard on the radio he won't expand mail voting unless we're under a stay at home order.

The entire idea of voting fraud is so preposterous. It would require some massive coordinated conspiracy to have any legitimate impact..... across many, many different counties (where elections are run). And is sure to be sniffed out fairly easily.... such as the renegade volunteer in that House race in NC last cycle.

But our population loves a good conspiracy theory.... and we've got a master conspiracy theorist sitting in the White House.
But right here in this forum we had people claim GWB won Ohio in 2004 due to voting fraud. It was a heck of a conspiracy theory. ;)

Actually, you're on to something, there. Trump couldn't stop the election, short of declaring martial law and deploying troops to every polling location in the country. But it wouldn't be nearly as hard for him to stop the election in Portland. Of course, he probably doesn't care about Portland, but if he declared martial law in, say, Detroit, Philadelphia, Richmond, Milwaukee, Austin...

Not that I think he's actually going to do that, of course, but if he truly wanted to steal the election, that would be the way to do it.

There is nothing Trump wouldn’t try in order to retain power. There is absolutely zero that would surprise me, especially given Bill Barr’s total loyalty to Trump over country.

Reactions: sglowrider
There is nothing Trump wouldn’t try in order to retain power. There is absolutely zero that would surprise me, especially given Bill Barr’s total loyalty to Trump over country.

Noooo.

Only when you have an unscrupulous, narcissistic, egotistical, insecure, lying/cheating, ignorant person........ oh wait...

I think Barr truly believes in the Imperial Presidency. But Poppy Bush wasn't interested in being King. In Trump, Barr now has a cooperative partner.

Reactions: hoot1 and Morrison

He can claim his loss was false and corrupted but as we learned in 2000 that rarely works.

Did I miss the discussion on here about USPS being dismantled by Trump's donor appointee? It's about the mail in voting right?

Reactions: DrHoops
That’s why he and his supporters are latching onto all their law and order bullshit now. Last I heard, Portland and Chicago were completely engulfed in flames with dead bodies everywhere. I love how they latch onto the small number of deaths related to rioting but think nothing of the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND + dead from the Trumpvirus
Really? I love how libs somehow think Trump is responsible for the virus. IT CAME FROM CHINA. Yet you don't blame Democrat mayors for letting people riot, loot, burn and generally trash their cities

Did I miss the discussion on here about USPS being dismantled by Trump's donor appointee? It's about the mail in voting right?
That and pwning Bezos. The USPS and Amazon have a mutually beneficial partnership and Trump can't stand that.

CO.H knows a lot more about Colorado elections than the state of Colorado does. He's been very clear about this point in the past.

It's actually pretty complex.
  1. I registered to vote when I got my CO driver's license. I also had the option to register here, www.GoVoteColorado.gov, with a state-ID.
  2. I can confirm I'm registered or update my address here, www.GoVoteColorado.gov
  3. They were even nice enough to not make me register every year
  4. I received a mail-in ballot by mail (that's right)
  5. I filled it out
  6. I dropped it off at one several of the ballot boxes around the city - fortunately, the library just down the street from me has a ballot box
  7. I then have the option to confirm my vote was received online
I'm sure this is different than other states and that's why it's so complex to explain to you mail-in ballot noobs.

You cite an example where some people in one city called him racist. That doesn't mean he was broadly considered racist. If you try, you could likely find examples of most white politicians being called racist by someone somewhere.
What is the quota for number of cities or people to be “broadly considered racist” lol. It was important enough to him to call it the low point of his presidency in his memoir. I’ll go with his opinion on the matter over yours....

What is the quota for number of cities or people to be “broadly considered racist” lol. It was important enough to him to call it the low point of his presidency in his memoir. I’ll go with his opinion on the matter over yours....
Oh, I don't know - maybe more than one ethnic group in one city?

Sure it was a low point. Would you like being called a racist if you weren't one?

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know - maybe more than one ethnic group in one city?

Sure it was a low point. Would you like being called a racist if you weren't one?
Your contention was that he wasn’t though. Nope, I think was your exact rebuttal...

Really? I love how libs somehow think Trump is responsible for the virus. IT CAME FROM CHINA. Yet you don't blame Democrat mayors for letting people riot, loot, burn and generally trash their cities
dumb

Your contention was that he wasn’t though. Nope, I think was your exact rebuttal...
Actually, what C&C was taking issue with was Stelio's contention that Bush was "villified as a racist," as I believe he phrased it. Although he didn't explicitly say that "everyone" or "most" were calling him a racist, the context was his claim that Bush would never be invited to Lewis' funeral if he were still in office, because, as a sitting Republican president, it would be assumed he's a racist.

That description by Stelio was obviously bullshit. For all the complaints people made about Bush, very few people accused him of racism. Simply being a Republican doesn't open one up to accusations of racism. Trump isn't accused of racism because he's a Republican; he's accused of racism because he's a racist.

Reactions: TommyCracker

Are you talking about the Trumpvirus?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT