ADVERTISEMENT

And it begins.... Trump floats delaying election

Sure, the POTUS casually suggesting one of the greatest Constitutional crises in the history of our country is no big deal. What’s he going to do, send federal agents kitted up in paramilitary gear to put down any protests of his illegal action?

When Trump says he’s going to do something awful I listen.
When it comes to picking the president, there's actually no constitutional requirement for a popular election at all. What the constitution does say is that Congress gets to pick the date by which the states must choose their presidential electors (the 538 members of the electoral college). Under current law, that date is the 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November.

CoH has mentioned before that Colorado's voting by mail works great. I think he believes they have adequate safeguards built in so there won't be fraud. I suspect he doesn't think that this is universally true in the rest of the country at least that is my recollection.
He always has a plausible justification for licking Trump's balls.

Reactions: cosmickid
He always has a plausible justification for licking Trump's balls.
I think it's more broad than that it's the Republican party he loves and since the party has decided to continue to support Trump he is on board with it. I never cared about parties but at one time I would have said I was more Republican than Democrat but with the advent of the Tea Party and the further erosion of the basic principles of that party I just can't support them in any fashion now. I am not that keen on the Dems but I sure don't want to think my dad's heroic service in WWII went completely down the drain by electing a bunch of fascist to take complete control of the government either.

I could be wrong here, but if we delay the election, doesn't the speaker of the house then become president on the 20th of January?

I don't think he really thought this through.

If all federal elections were delayed it would probably fall to Leahy. Trump and Pence terms expire along with all House members. Leahy isn’t up for re-election and he’d be the senior democratic member of the senate with a democratic majority. He’d likely be elected president pro tempor of the senate again and would be first in line because there would be no house for which to have a speaker.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
If dogs get sent a ballot, like DJT insists, it would be a pretty impressive feat.

Fido had previosuly registered to vote, giving multiple forms of ID, had his citizenship & age (>18!) verified, address verified by tax & employment records, had signed up online, had confirmed by email & by text of his intention to vote.

Then Fido has to share all that info with me, the Fido impersonator, so that I can carry out the rest of my evil plot.

It seems like I'd be way better off pointing out to lots of real potential voters why my preferred candidate should serve and encouraging them to vote rather than stay home. Less lying, immorality, and criminal activity involved, and I don't personally know any members of the Trump family to give me pointers on lying, immorality, and criminal activity.

You know, swamp training.

Mail voting and absentee voting is not the same.
Really? Here in Ohio ANY registered vote can request a mail-in ballot, for ANY or no reason whatsoever. Ohio gives everyone the option of voting in person or voting by mail. Sure, they call it an "absentee ballot to vote by mail," but it most definitely is voting by mail. No two ways about it.

Really? Here in Ohio ANY registered vote can request a mail-in ballot, for ANY or no reason whatsoever. Ohio gives everyone the option of voting in person or voting by mail. Sure, they call it an "absentee ballot to vote by mail," but it most definitely is voting by mail. No two ways about it.
I printed out the form to get the ballot yesterday.

Reactions: T.M.P. and glmiu11
But what about Hillary's emails? And, Qanon Flynn was mistreated, probably worse than anybody in history? What about that? And Fauci gets better ratings than Trump. That's not fair either.

Other than that, you are right.

Isn’t the rub with mail in voting that these ballots are just sent out to people’s last know address? Who knows who will ultimately get them?

whereas something like an absentee ballot has to be specifically and formally requested by the known individual?

Isn’t the rub with mail in voting that these ballots are just sent out to people’s last know address? Who knows who will ultimately get them?

whereas something like an absentee ballot has to be specifically and formally requested by the known individual?
As far as I know, letters sent like that informed people that they will be able to vote by mail, if they are voters, and that actual ballots will be sent to them if they follow the instructions contained herein. Actual ballots were not sent that way.

Given that election rules are a hidgepodge of local ordinances, some may do it differently. But AFAIK, many hoops have to be jumped through in order to vote by mail, anywhere.

Reactions: cosmickid
Distraction from Obama giving Lewis' eulogy, and his ongoing incompetence with the Covid crisis.
Trump called the press pool to the Oval at the same time as Obama was speaking at Lewis's funeral, hoping to steal the network coverage. It didn't work. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox(!) all stayed with Obama.

The entire idea of voting fraud is so preposterous. It would require some massive coordinated conspiracy to have any legitimate impact..... across many, many different counties (where elections are run). And is sure to be sniffed out fairly easily.... such as the renegade volunteer in that House race in NC last cycle.

But our population loves a good conspiracy theory.... and we've got a master conspiracy theorist sitting in the White House.

Mail voting and absentee voting is not the same.

It's common for elitests to play fortunate son.

You know like send our kids to war but not my kids.

Or kids must be in school during a pandemic but not my kids.

Anyway you can't have it both ways man. You can't ramble on about how American it is to go to the polls (during a pandemic), how frustrating it will be to not have the results the night of and to lay the conspiracy amongst your minions that voting by mail is fraudulent....when you and those around you have done it for years.

So it either is or its not.

Either we only count the votes from voting booths or we don't. Sorry grandpa and grandma, get your wheelchaired ass to the polls and stand in line.

Sorry soldiers, your vote doesn't count if you're not able to get to the polls since you are out of the country.

Sorry elitists, you need to get your ass to the polls and stand in line with the rest of us common folk.

Just using your rules.

Three former Presidents will attend Lewis’s funeral. The current POTUS will not be there. Kinda says it all.
Well, hell, if Trump attended the service, there's no way they'd let that racist jackass speak. Plus, he doesn't know any of the hymns that would be sung. He couldn't even fake it (and Trump is good at faking almost everything else). He wouldn't even know when to clap during Obama's eulogy (nor would he understand why everybody else was clapping).

Trump's a fish out of water unless he is swimming in his own uncontrollable pee at his private pool at Mar-a-Lago.

That's only "the rub" if you are pleasuring yourself on a catscratching post.

Every state I've read about has some sort of application requiring the applicant for a mail ballot to swear to his/her current residence. Even OutsideShooter's dog has to do that to get a ballot, according to his post in the other thread.

In my opinion Trump could conceivably use the pandenmic crisis and his extreme presumptions about executive power to delay the election date.

He has, for example, sent federal law enforcement officers into the realm usually reserved for state and local law enforcement.

Given this example, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump took it upon himself to use the pandemic and unrest following the Floyd protests to declare a national emergency.

Once the national emergency is declared, he will then delay the election.

Of course, I don't know what I am talking about, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and dreamed I had a conversation with John Yoo about all this.

He has, for example, sent federal law enforcement officers into the realm usually reserved for state and local law enforcement.

Back in the days right after 9/11, I remember that some of my libertarian or liberatarian-leaning friends were more than a little bit uneasy about the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.

Facing terrorism at the time, with a hodgepodge of USA intelligence not talking to one another, it seemed sensible.

But I never considered the possiblilty of having a mentally unstable power-hungry impulsive grifter in the White House that would use the DHS as his personal domestic secret police force.

That development makes me appreciate the concerns of the libertarians with more clarity.

In my opinion Trump could conceivably use the pandenmic crisis and his extreme presumptions about executive power to delay the election date.

Given this example, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump took it upon himself to use the pandemic and unrest following the Floyd protests to declare a national emergency.

Once the national emergency is declared, he will then delay the election.

Of course, I don't know what I am talking about, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and dreamed I had a conversation with John Yoo about all this.
It's not physically possible for Trump to delay the election. The federal executive branch plays virtually no role in administering elections, so there's no way for him to effect a delay, even if he announced one.

It's not physically possible for Trump to delay the election. The federal executive branch plays virtually no role in administering elections, so there's no way for him to effect a delay, even if he announced one.
DeWine already told Trump to GFY

while possibly not Trump's hope of delaying the election until the pandemic is over, don't be surprised if Pubs don't go for a more nuanced and strategic plan.

in Texas and possibly elsewhere, you must be 65 or over to be eligible for a mail in ballot.

look for this as the Pubs' "compromise" to Dems for allowing mail in voting, and age eligibility could be lowered to the mid 40s, which is the age today's voters start trending Pub, and away from Dem.

and this could be done while citing they are protecting the covid "at risk" age group.

this would enable things for Pub leaning demographics, and not for those Dem leaning, which is always the Pub strategy with voting rules and logistics.

and not enable college kids at school with state residency issues, to vote according to their home state.

you heard it here first.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker

Goat, the mayor of Portland who is responsible for law and order in his community found a federal force in his community thanks to our president.

After declaring a national emergency our president used funds earmarked by Congress for specific purposes to be used for his wall.

Upon declaring a national emergency who is to say our president will honor laws and precedents regarding elections which had formerly been the domain of the states.

Not saying he can pull it off. Just saying he might try.

Trump won’t make it to November. This is going bad, fast. Every politician that embraced Trump will be punished severely.
They will start bailing around Labor Day. Going to be a sad end for everyone who supported this circus.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHoops
Trump called the press pool to the Oval at the same time as Obama was speaking at Lewis's funeral, hoping to steal the network coverage. It didn't work. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox(!) all stayed with Obama.
I didn’t know that. I can’t stand him

ADVERTISEMENT