ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to Archie about arguing with the media.

He can still be frustrated with his team while also acknowledging that his team still has the resume to get invited to the tournament. The tone of Doyel's question in my opinion was to get Archie to say something along the lines of "my team doesn't deserve to make it". Archie clearly feels differently.

I think we're talking past each other here.

Once again, I think Archie should've avoided Doyel's question entirely. There are lots of ways to do that. Generally speaking, I think coaches would always be well-served, in any circumstance, to demur on responding to things pundits write. And besides, it really doesn't matter whether Archie Miller or Joe Lunardi think Indiana belongs in the tournament. That decision is in other peoples' hands and the opinions of Miller, Doyel, and Lunardi are of no consequence.

What Archie should be addressing -- publicly, Geez -- is the fact that his team has not met expectations, why he thinks that is, and what he intends to do about it to fix it. You're right that I don't know what he says to his team behind closed doors. But I can see with my own two eyes that whatever it is hasn't improved what they bring to the court. A lot of people have a lot invested in Indiana basketball -- and, yes, I absolutely do think he owes us way more than what he's given us in the way of acknowledgement of the poor results and some indication that he realizes they aren't satisfactory and is up to the task of fixing it.

After all, he doesn't seem to have a problem cashing the checks.

Dear Archie,

I wouldn’t so much call myself your fan. More so I am a supporter. Regardless, when a ew begins to earn a multi million dollar salary, he’s either going to be viewed as a savior or a bum.

You were dealt a really crappy hand and I think you have played it well. At least as well as it could. Virtually nobody on your team can shoot a free-throw or an open shot from the three-point line. You’ve had to go to the transfer market to plug holes at the center position every year and so far it’s been a bust. However the team hustles, it plays defense and it has cut down in the number of turnovers. In short I think the team is playing about as well as I think it can. It just can’t shoot. And at the end of the game nobody wants to drive to the basket and be put on the free-throw line because they’re afraid they’re going to miss.

Todayy. you got in your Sesame Street argument that really didn’t make any sense. it reminded me of the Bobby Knight years when the team began to struggle, and he responded by telling everybody that they were idiots and did not understand the game. Particularly members of the press.

don’t ever forget that you’re making multi million dollars a year in a situation where your employees work for free. And unfortunately right now they’re not very good. It

Don’t lower yourself to Knight’s level. Don’t take pot shots at your critics. Most Indiana fans understand basketball. On the flipside most of your critics, if this site is any indication, are idiots who understand virtually nothing about the game and have no historical perspective as to the evolution or disintegration of,the college game over the last 30 years.

Just keep plugging away until you get some players you can put the ball in the basket, and God forbid, are able to create their own shot.
You know that old saying about never get into a pissing contest or ongoing argument with an entity that can buy printers ink by the Barrel. You can never get the last word, and you will never win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
A lot of people have a lot invested in Indiana basketball -- and, yes, I absolutely do think he owes us way more than what he's given us in the way of acknowledgement of the poor results and some indication that he realizes they aren't satisfactory and is up to the task of fixing it.

Archie Miller doesn't owe you or anyone anything, especially 20 minutes after a close loss. Archie has been more than willing on multiple occasions to take personal responsibility for his teams play immediately following a loss. But he doesn't owe anything to you or anybody for that matter. He was asked a question and responded in the condescending tune that it was asked. I have no problem with it. Archie Miller will be the first person to tell you that his team has been inconsistent all year and he has owned that many times.

Reactions: cshartle123
Oh please. The timing of the question from Gregg Doyel was to get the exact reaction from Archie. Ask the question during the middle of the week and not 20 minutes after an emotionally tough loss and I bet you get a different answer. Doyel was being a condescending dick asking that question and he got a condescending answer.
Miller should be above it. If he’s so easily triggered by stuff like this then he lacks maturity as a coach. He swung at a pitch in the dirt. That’s not the pitcher’s fault.

Archie Miller doesn't owe you or anyone anything, especially 20 minutes after a close loss. Archie has been more than willing on multiple occasions to take personal responsibility for his teams play immediately following a loss. But he doesn't owe anything to you or anybody for that matter. He was asked a question and responded in the condescending tune that it was asked. I have no problem with it. Archie Miller will be the first person to tell you that his team has been inconsistent all year and he has owned that many times.

Yeah, I disagree very strongly with that. And I'm not simply talking about 20 minutes after a loss -- because the timing has nothing to do with what I'm saying....which has to do with a lot more than any one game.

The guy is paid a lot of money -- one of the top paid coaches in the conference -- to put competitive teams on the floor and get positive results. The primary sources of the money, ultimately, are the fans and boosters who give the program a revenue stream from ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, television viewership, donations, etc. The university which issues his paycheck is but a conduit here. Between him and his assistants, the fans and boosters are some $15M invested in this staff the past three years. And what we've gotten are a T-6th, a 9th, and a T-10th place finishes in the conference, a losing conference record, no NCAAT appearances, flameouts in the BTT, etc.

So, yeah, I absolutely think he owes the people shelling out all this money acknowledgement of the poor results and a claim of accountability. The comments he's made to date along these lines are very, very scant.

Oh please. The timing of the question from Gregg Doyel was to get the exact reaction from Archie. Ask the question during the middle of the week and not 20 minutes after an emotionally tough loss and I bet you get a different answer. Doyel was being a condescending dick asking that question and he got a condescending answer.
That's the way a lot of those media types think they have to operate in order to get noticed for the ratings. Knight used to get baited all the time. Think "well hung with Connie Chung".

Yeah, I disagree very strongly with that. And I'm not simply talking about 20 minutes after a loss -- because the timing has nothing to do with what I'm saying....which has to do with a lot more than any one game.

The guy is paid a lot of money -- one of the top paid coaches in the conference -- to put competitive teams on the floor and get positive results. The primary sources of the money, ultimately, are the fans and boosters who give the program a revenue stream from ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, television viewership, donations, etc. The university which issues his paycheck is but a conduit here. Between him and his assistants, the fans and boosters are some $15M invested in this staff the past three years. And what we've gotten are a T-6th, a 9th, and a T-10th place finishes in the conference, a losing conference record, no NCAAT appearances, flameouts in the BTT, etc.

So, yeah, I absolutely think he owes the people shelling out all this money acknowledgement of the poor results and a claim of accountability. The comments he's made to date along these lines are very, very scant.

He was asked a question, directly about his teams resume and tourney chances. He answered. Get over it. Archie on multiple occasions has addressed his teams failures and accepted personal responsibility. Just because he truthfully answered a question in a manner in which you disapproved doesn't mean you're entitled to what you want to hear, Had Doyel asked the question about Archie's tenure, who knows, maybe Archie gives a different answer. But I have ZERO problem with the way Archie answered the question he was asked. I'm not sure what your problem is?

I think the sports media loves to hate Indiana basketball. For twenty years they have been able to run nothing but negative pieces about Knight’s mistakes and Sampson. They bashed us for firing Crean. I think Archie is realizing that it’s uphill sledding with the media perception, and he’s addressing it head on. I’m on board. Wilson did it with football.

Reactions: hoosier8760
OK, but Lunardi wasn't wrong. I wish Archie would exhibit half as much disgust at how his team plays as he displayed about a few words that Joe Lunardi wrote.

Wrong? Maybe not wrong... misleading, aimed to elicit a response...probably. IU and Purdue both have big fan bases. Saying that all those two teams have done is regularly lose to good teams is very misleading. And I’m sure was a calculated statement.

I don’t see anything wrong with calling someone out for such a comment. Archie took it a bit too far with the repeated Seseme Street references. But Lunardi made a broad comment that isn’t backed up by facts, as both of those teams have beaten their fair share of good teams.

And I’m also in the camp that Archie has more important things to worry about than Lunardi. It’s ok to answer a question though. Just like it was ok for Lunardi to say what he did. Just like it’s ok for Folks to take issue with either of them. To make the leap from him making those comments from a direct question after an obviously heart wrenching loss...to him not having an idea of what he should be focusing on? Lazy and dumb.

He was asked a question, directly about his teams resume and tourney chances. He answered. Get over it. Archie on multiple occasions has addressed his teams failures and accepted personal responsibility. Just because he truthfully answered a question in a manner in which you disapproved doesn't mean you're entitled to what you want to hear, Had Doyel asked the question about Archie's tenure, who knows, maybe Archie gives a different answer. But I have ZERO problem with the way Archie answered the question he was asked. I'm not sure what your problem is?

Once again -- for like the fifth time here -- I think you're not picking up what I'm putting down. You think that I'm simply taking issue with Archie's answer to Doyel's question. Maybe that's the case with others. But not me.

What Joe Lunardi (or Doyel, or even Miller himself) thinks about our tourney resume is of absolutely no consequence. It's a minor thing -- and their opinions don't count. Do I think Archie came off looking bad? Yeah, I do. Is that my problem with him? Hardly. I mean, we're talking about a program who put up with Bob Knight's antics for nearly 3 decades. If anybody can handle a coach jousting sarcastically with the press, it's us.

This. Is. Not. My. Problem.

My problem is that, with all the substantive things has has to be upset about, it's a pundit's bracketology comments that gets a public rise out of him. He should've dodged Doyel's question entirely and instead focused his attention (and ire) on just why we blew another lead, why we've been so up and down, what needs to be done to fix it, etc. If he doesn't want to do this in a post-game presser, fine. I get that. In fact, that probably isn't the best time for what I'm looking for out of him....which is a mea culpa.

We're going to be stuck with him for another year. Given all he's gotten from Indiana, I think the least he could do is make it clear that he shares our disappointment with the results.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Once again -- for like the fifth time here -- I think you're not picking up what I'm putting down. You think that I'm simply taking issue with Archie's answer to Doyel's question. Maybe that's the case with others. But not me.

What Joe Lunardi (or Doyel, or even Miller himself) thinks about our tourney resume is of absolutely no consequence. It's a minor thing -- and their opinions don't count. Do I think Archie came off looking bad? Yeah, I do. Is that my problem with him? Hardly. I mean, we're talking about a program who put up with Bob Knight's antics for nearly 3 decades. If anybody can handle a coach jousting sarcastically with the press, it's us.

My problem is that, with all the substantive things has has to be upset about, it's a pundit's bracketology comments that gets a public rise out of him. He should've dodged Doyel's question entirely and instead focused his attention (and ire) on just why we blew another lead, why we've been so up and down, what needs to be done to fix it, etc. If he doesn't want to do this in a post-game presser, fine. I get that. In fact, that probably isn't the best time for what I'm looking for out of him....which is a mea culpa.

We're going to be stuck with him for another year. Given all he's gotten from Indiana, I think the least he could do is make it clear that he shares our disappointment with the results.
Lunardi does not control anything on selection Sunday, but he controls the media rhetoric. Like it or not, the media rhetoric does matter since it effects how our program is perceived on the national level. Archie is defending his basketball team with supporting reasons. You can’t fight the media by taking the high ground. Are you paying attention to politics?

Reactions: hoosier8760
I think the sports media loves to hate Indiana basketball. For twenty years they have been able to run nothing but negative pieces about Knight’s mistakes and Sampson. They bashed us for firing Crean. I think Archie is realizing that it’s uphill sledding with the media perception, and he’s addressing it head on. I’m on board. Wilson did it with football.

I really couldn't care less about the media. They can write and say whatever they want. They're not being paid by boosters and fans of Indiana, by way of the university, to produce winning teams. Archie and his staff are.

Gregg Doyel and Joe Lunardi can go take a flying leap, for all I care.

An old accountant of mine once told me that, for a business, profits solve pretty much everything. I thought it was kind of a silly statement at first. Duh. But, as simple and obvious as the sentiment was, he was unquestionably right. So it goes for sports and coaches: winning solves pretty much everything. That's what he's there to do. Yeah, there are other things that are important, too -- after all, academics matter, following NCAA rules matters, off-the-court behavior matters, etc. But you can do all those things well and, if you don't win, you haven't succeeded at what you were hired to do.

That's where Archie's at. He's going to get another year regardless what happens the rest of the way -- but the seat will be hot from day one, and he will be reporting to an AD who did not hire him. I not only think it would be cathartic for all of us to hear him recognize and validate where the program is, it may well do him a fair bit of good, too.

Notice that nothing I said in those past two paragraphs has anything to do with the damn media.

I really couldn't care less about the media. They can write and say whatever they want. They're not being paid by boosters and fans of Indiana, by way of the university, to produce winning teams. Archie and his staff are.

An old accountant of mine once told me that, for a business, profits solve pretty much everything. I thought it was kind of a silly statement at first. Duh. But, as simple and obvious as the sentiment was, he was unquestionably right. So it goes for sports and coaches: winning solves pretty much everything. That's what he's there to do. Yeah, there are other things that are important, too -- after all, academics matter, following NCAA rules matters, off-the-court behavior matters, etc. But you can do all those things well and, if you don't win, you haven't succeeded at what you were hired to do.

That's where Archie's at. He's going to get another year regardless what happens the rest of the way -- but the seat will be hot from day one, and he will be reporting to an AD who did not hire him. I not only think it would be cathartic for all of us to hear him recognize and validate where the program is, it may well do him a fair bit of good, too.

Notice that nothing I said in those past two paragraphs has anything to do with the damn media.
I wish that the media did not matter, but it’s 2020 and it absolutely does. This is a larger debate that we could discuss for hours off a basketball forum, so we can agree to disagree here.

Today, the recklessness of the media has become one of the biggest risks to any organization. Regardless of the profit, wins in sports, the media has the ability to burn you down. Dealing with the media should not take away from the value added work necessary to the organization’s bottom line, but addressing it is vital to mitigate potential issues that could “flare up” at any given moment. Indiana has taken it’s lumps for our issues in the past, so we don’t need to play the game anymore. Archie is trying to restore some pride in this program.

Last edited:
I wish that the media did not matter, but it’s 2020 and it absolutely does. This is a larger debate that we could discuss for hours off a basketball forum, so we can agree to disagree here.

Today, the recklessness of the media has become one of the biggest risks to any organization. Regardless of the profit, wins in sports, the media has the ability to burn you down. Dealing with the media should not take away from the value added work necessary to the organization’s bottom line, but addressing it is vital to mitigate potential issues that could “flare up” at given moment. Indiana has taken it’s lumps for our issues in the past, so we don’t need to play the game anymore. Archie is trying to restore some pride and in this program.
The media has treated Archie with kid gloves like they did Crean. They should be FAR more critical of him and his disastrous results.

More biased nonsense.

No one is out to get us. The media is just pointing out how ugly it is and some fans don’t want to believe it.

That's the way a lot of those media types think they have to operate in order to get noticed for the ratings. Knight used to get baited all the time. Think "well hung with Connie Chung".
And, far too often, he stupidly took the bait and looked foolish as a result. Miller should’ve known better. So should’ve Knight.

More biased nonsense.

No one is out to get us. The media is just pointing out how ugly it is and some fans don’t want to believe it.
The media has absolutely been out to get us. It’s not the reason we couldn’t close the game the other day, but those facts aren’t mutually exclusive.

He has though. Maybe the problem is that he’s not saying it enough for you? I personally don’t like leaders constantly apologizing. Comes across as weak. I also don’t like letting others control the narrative about stuff that’s important to me. Like it or not, Lunardi has built up a following. He’s THE resident expert on the tournament for the most watched and followed sports network in the world. So what he says, does have meaning. And he said that “all IU is doing is losing to good teams.” That isn’t factually true. I don’t have any issues with Archie not allowing Lunardi to control his narrative with faulty statements. If he had followed his comments on Lunardi with...”having said that, we can’t lose leads like this any more...or I can’t let games like this happen.” To soothe people like you...he would have blown his point about how many good teams they did beat. About how difficult their conference schedule and total strength of record is.

My guess is we will hear from him this week how they need to be stronger mentally. Need to value the ball and get better shots. Stuff he’s said in the past. Him not saying it to Doyel, in response to a chitty comment by Lunardi...didn’t bother me at all. If for no other reason than I 100 percent believe he knows exactly what he needs to doing and focusing on.

Reactions: cshartle123
The media has absolutely been out to get us. It’s not the reason we couldn’t close the game the other day, but those facts aren’t mutually exclusive.
No they haven’t. It’s not the media’s fault that IU’s made the myriad of mistakes that have littered the last 20+ years.

No they haven’t. It’s not the media’s fault that IU’s made the myriad of mistakes that have littered the last 20+ years.
Your’re right. It’s not their fault. It’s our fault that it’s taken 20 years to clean up the Bob Knight mess. Penn State did far worse, and it took them five years.

The bracketology question took all of 45 seconds to answer. Again, Get. Over. It. He was asked a question on how he felt his teams resume stacked up against other teams and he answered. It'd be one thing if Doyel asked him about the actual Wisconsin game itself and he got off track and started lambasted Lunardi and bracketology out of the blue, but it was 100% within the context of the question. What's your problem? I understand exactly what your putting down, it just isn't right. I guarantee you there is no one more frustrated with the state of the Indiana program than Archie himself, but he doesn't need to self-apologize every question the media asks him. Archie can be frustrated with the state of the program while at the same time still acknowledging his team has a tournament caliber resume.

The bracketology question took all of 45 seconds to answer. Again, Get. Over. It. He was asked a question on how he felt his teams resume stacked up against other teams and he answered. It'd be one thing if Doyel asked him about the actual Wisconsin game itself and he got off track and started lambasted Lunardi and bracketology out of the blue, but it was 100% within the context of the question. What's your problem? I understand exactly what your putting down, it just isn't right. I guarantee you there is no one more frustrated with the state of the Indiana program than Archie himself, but he doesn't need to self-apologize every question the media asks him. Archie can be frustrated with the state of the program while at the same time still acknowledging his team has a tournament caliber resume.
“... he doesn’t need to self-apologize every question ...”

Exactly. Does he need to denounce himself before each of his responses?

“I know we’ve got a skanky ass program in Bloomington - two plus decades of balls, honestly - but I just really thought that since Race has been diagnosed with coronavirus I wouldn’t start him in tonight’s game. At the end of the day, you’ve gotta make some buckets.”

I think some of us are curious as to why Miller provided such a clumsy and ill conceived answer, that’s all.

I think some of us are curious as to why Miller provided such a clumsy and ill conceived answer, that’s all.

Why are you surprised? Did you see Lunardi's comments regarding Indiana just a few days earlier on Dakich? Doyel's question to Archie was directly in response to what Lunardi said on Dakich and I'm sure the answer Doyel knew he was going to get. Saying IU didn't have enough good wins was a lame comment by Lunardi considering they have some of the best wins for teams that are considered to be on the bubble. Lunardi is billed as the voice of reason when it comes to mock tourney selections and his track record over the years show that he is below average at his job. I still don't understand what the fuss is about?

Reactions: Brockway
He has though. Maybe the problem is that he’s not saying it enough for you? I personally don’t like leaders constantly apologizing. Comes across as weak. I also don’t like letting others control the narrative about stuff that’s important to me. Like it or not, Lunardi has built up a following. He’s THE resident expert on the tournament for the most watched and followed sports network in the world. So what he says, does have meaning. And he said that “all IU is doing is losing to good teams.” That isn’t factually true. I don’t have any issues with Archie not allowing Lunardi to control his narrative with faulty statements. If he had followed his comments on Lunardi with...”having said that, we can’t lose leads like this any more...or I can’t let games like this happen.” To soothe people like you...he would have blown his point about how many good teams they did beat. About how difficult their conference schedule and total strength of record is.

My guess is we will hear from him this week how they need to be stronger mentally. Need to value the ball and get better shots. Stuff he’s said in the past. Him not saying it to Doyel, in response to a chitty comment by Lunardi...didn’t bother me at all. If for no other reason than I 100 percent believe he knows exactly what he needs to doing and focusing on.

I wouldn’t describe what I’m hoping to hear from Archie as an “apology.” I haven’t ever used that term.

It’s more along the lines of validation (that he understands the results to date aren’t satisfactory) and accountability (that past and future results are on him).

If you think that vocalizing this is weakness in leadership, then you and I have very different concepts of what constitutes effective leadership.

Bracketmatrix.com has rankings of bracketologists. Lunardi is classed in the “Bracket Veterans - 3+ Years” category, and places 55th of 133.

It’s been 25 years since I flunked my way through statistics, so I’m hardly the person to evaluate their rankings, but there you have it.

Jerry Palm “d’Or” comes in at 85.

I wouldn’t describe what I’m hoping to hear from Archie as an “apology.” I haven’t ever used that term.

It’s more along the lines of validation (that he understands the results to date aren’t satisfactory) and accountability (that past and future results are on him).

If you think that vocalizing this is weakness in leadership, then you and I have very different concepts of what constitutes effective leadership.

He's taken personal accountability and ownership for team failures multiple times during his tenure, he just didn't do it after he was asked a question about his teams tournament resume. That's something you're going have to live with. Again, Archie owes you NOTHING.

Lunardi does not control anything on selection Sunday, but he controls the media rhetoric. Like it or not, the media rhetoric does matter since it effects how our program is perceived on the national level. Archie is defending his basketball team with supporting reasons. You can’t fight the media by taking the high ground. Are you paying attention to politics?

Defending the record is fine. He screwed up by going way too long with it, to the point it looked like he was begging. And the Sesame St. references were stupid. So he came across as a whining incompetent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT