ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to Archie about arguing with the media.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Dear Archie,

I wouldn’t so much call myself your fan. More so I am a supporter. Regardless, when a ew begins to earn a multi million dollar salary, he’s either going to be viewed as a savior or a bum.

You were dealt a really crappy hand and I think you have played it well. At least as well as it could. Virtually nobody on your team can shoot a free-throw or an open shot from the three-point line. You’ve had to go to the transfer market to plug holes at the center position every year and so far it’s been a bust. However the team hustles, it plays defense and it has cut down in the number of turnovers. In short I think the team is playing about as well as I think it can. It just can’t shoot. And at the end of the game nobody wants to drive to the basket and be put on the free-throw line because they’re afraid they’re going to miss.

Todayy. you got in your Sesame Street argument that really didn’t make any sense. it reminded me of the Bobby Knight years when the team began to struggle, and he responded by telling everybody that they were idiots and did not understand the game. Particularly members of the press.

don’t ever forget that you’re making multi million dollars a year in a situation where your employees work for free. And unfortunately right now they’re not very good. It

Don’t lower yourself to Knight’s level. Don’t take pot shots at your critics. Most Indiana fans understand basketball. On the flipside most of your critics, if this site is any indication, are idiots who understand virtually nothing about the game and have no historical perspective as to the evolution or disintegration of,the college game over the last 30 years.

Just keep plugging away until you get some players you can put the ball in the basket, and God forbid, are able to create their own shot.

Dear Archie,

I wouldn’t so much call myself your fan. More so I am a supporter. Regardless, when a ew begins to earn a multi million dollar salary, he’s either going to be viewed as a savior or a bum.

You were dealt a really crappy hand and I think you have played it well. At least as well as it could. Virtually nobody on your team can shoot a free-throw or an open shot from the three-point line. You’ve had to go to the transfer market to plug holes at the center position every year and so far it’s been a bust. However the team hustles, it plays defense and it has cut down in the number of turnovers. In short I think the team is playing about as well as I think it can. It just can’t shoot. And at the end of the game nobody wants to drive to the basket and be put on the free-throw line because they’re afraid they’re going to miss.

Todayy. you got in your Sesame Street argument that really didn’t make any sense. it reminded me of the Bobby Knight years when the team began to struggle, and he responded by telling everybody that they were idiots and did not understand the game. Particularly members of the press.

don’t ever forget that you’re making multi million dollars a year in a situation where your employees work for free. And unfortunately right now they’re not very good. It

Don’t lower yourself to Knight’s level. Don’t take pot shots at your critics. Most Indiana fans understand basketball. On the flipside most of your critics, if this site is any indication, are idiots who understand virtually nothing about the game and have no historical perspective as to the evolution or disintegration of,the college game over the last 30 years.

Just keep plugging away until you get some players you can put the ball in the basket, and God forbid, are able to create their own shot.

I'm guessing Archie doesn't have time to read the Football forum...

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and CC Mac
Dear Archie,

One question, how many seasons did it take for you to start doubting Crean?

Reactions: Kyser123
Hell, Lunardi had iu in before yesterdays horrible loss. I don't know how or why. What does Arch have to bitch about?

One question, how many seasons did it take for you to start doubting Crean?

Good question. I would have to say when they lost to Syracuse in the NCAA tournament. It was not the lost to Syracuse. It was the fact that they had had quality talent on that team and had no idea how to break down a zone defense. I was never a fan of Crean’s nonstrategic offense where Yogi would drive to the basket, jump into the air and then try to find somebody to pass it to before he was charged with traveling. And Crean’s answer was to play faster. Archie Miller does not have the horses the Tom Crean had.

Now to bring this back to the fact that this is the football board, let’s talk a little bit about CKW. The year the Hoosiers went to the Pinstripe Bowl and lost to Duke, let’s remember that the season started out with a shoot out against Southern Illinois. That victory came on the last play of the game when Southern Illinois dropped a pass in the end zone for a two point conversion. If that pass it been caught Indiana would’ve never gone to a ball game and Coach Kevin Wilson might’ve been gone at the end of the season.

As I recall Wilson suspended nine players that game. And then at the end of the season Antonio Allen Was arrested for an unregistered gun possession while selling heroin, cocaine etc. There is no way anyone can convince me that a hard-core drug dealer was operating completely under the radar of his teammates and coaches. Add to that that they had the worst defense in college football and abandoned the run against Duke when it was unstoppable…

Kevin Wilson’s growth as a new coach was far more painful than that of Coach Tom Allen. Tom Allen is a quality guy from the same mold as Bill Mallory and Coach Hep, who came to Indiana as finished products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sassy61
Dear Archie,

Huh, I'll take Knight any day over anybody.

Team always hustles? Disagree. Good defense - partially. Not sure what show you're watching all year.

I'll take Knight any day over anybody. Always hustle - really? Disagree. Defense - occasionally. What have you been watching?

Dear Archie,

..it reminded me of the Bobby Knight years when the team began to struggle, and he responded by telling everybody that they were idiots and did not understand the game. Particularly members of the press.

Knight was doing this before he began to struggle. He also had a bit of credibility because he had 3 NCAA championships.

Until you can prove you're a winner, shut your mouth and own your results. You've done nothing but decline in 3 years and saying crap like this confirms you are in over your head. This was an embarrassment that only brings attention to a program that's being known as a has been.

Anyone who has worked in the corporate world has seen this type of executive and they don't last long in any business that values accountability.

Last edited:
Dear Archie,

Knight’s criticisms of the press usually were not in defense of any subpar team of his. I won’t say that he never took issue with such criticism of one of his teams, because he coached a long time and sparred with the press a lot.

But, usually, when one of his players or teams wasn’t playing well, nobody was harsher on them than he was.

And that’s one of my chief gripes with Archie. He’s defending the indefensible. He should spend more time and passion correcting the problem rather than lashing out at people who recognize the problem and have the audacity to say it publicly.

Knight’s criticisms of the press usually were not in defense of any subpar team of his. I won’t say that he never took issue with such criticism of one of his teams, because he coached a long time and sparred with the press a lot.

But, usually, when one of his players or teams wasn’t playing well, nobody was harsher on them than he was.

And that’s one of my chief gripes with Archie. He’s defending the indefensible. He should spend more time and passion correcting the problem rather than lashing out at people who recognize the problem and have the audacity to say it publicly.

one of your chief gripes is that Archie's defending the indefensible (maybe).......this one time? he's pretty much called the team out all season after they played like crap. so he wants and thinks his team should be in the tourney, and lashed out while saying it. such audacity! lol

and i love the ongoing rewrites of Knight's legacy. Bob didn't dog players and teams in the press because he was a constant teller of truths. lol. that's how he motivated. i remember his interview with Jeremy Schaap after he got fired. Schaap asked him if he thought he would have been fired if his teams were winning like they used to. Bob said he thought they were winning -- though he had won just 2 tourney games the previous 6 seasons and had also had couple very average regular seasons. i'm trying to think of a coach who isn't prideful and full of shit at least some of the time. can't. let me know if you do.

and this isn't me dogging Knight. he was as human as human can be. not even saying you guys shouldn't be pissed. just soooo tired of reading the indictment and bone-headed analysis of every little worthless artifact you little diggers can fan.

ya, what an asshole. a coach who actually beat some really good teams this year clowns some bracketologists and tries to make his team's case. oh heavens!!!!!

anyway, back to your feelz....

Last edited:
Dear Archie,

Poorly written, full of stylistic missteps and typographical errors. I urge Coach to pay little to no attention to this sort of rubbish.

Fondest regards.

one of your chief gripes is that Archie's defending the indefensible (maybe).......this one time? he's pretty much called the team out all season after they played like crap. so he wants and thinks his team should be in the tourney, and lashed out while saying it. such audacity! lol

Lunardi saying we’re a bubble team isn’t him crapping on Indiana. He’s correct. Archie’s butthurt reaction suggests he doesn’t understand that....which would mean he hasn’t come to grips with the reality that his teams have been, at best, average.

That’s not Joe Lunardi’s fault.

If he wants people to stop pointing out how underwhelming his team is, he either needs to produce better results or pack his bags.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Lunardi saying we’re a bubble team isn’t him crapping on Indiana. He’s correct. Archie’s butthurt reaction suggests he doesn’t understand that....which would mean he hasn’t come to grips with the reality that his teams have been, at best, average.

If he wants people to stop pointing out how underwhelming his team is, he either needs to produce better results or pack his bags.

ahh — I figured this was about you wanting to talk tough. How ironic. Anyway, have at it.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ahh — I figured this was you wanting to talk tough. Have at it.

What are talking about? I’m wanting our coach not to whine about others — pundits or otherwise — pointing out the fact that his team isn’t very good. Because it isn’t. The criticism is fair.

It’s like a kid moaning about not getting enough playing time. You want to play more? Work harder. Play better. Put in more time. Produce better results.

But don’t whine about it. That’s the last thing you do.

What are talking about? I’m wanting our coach not to whine about others — pundits or otherwise — pointing out the fact that his team isn’t very good. Because it isn’t. The criticism is fair.

It’s like a kid moaning about not getting enough playing time. You want to play more? Work harder. Play better. Put in more time. Produce better results.

If i gotta tell yous one more time to be quiet i’m callin johnny and trust me you won’t like johnny

CBS bracket guy, Jerry Palm, today doesn’t have IU as the last 4 in or last 4 out. Gotta assume then that he thinks they’re safely in. Several bubble teams lost yesterday, so that helps.

Dear Archie,

"Don't lower yourself to Knight's level"?????? I don't understand this. I would love to have Knight's level of coaching. He's considered by many a pretty good coach.

Hell, Lunardi had iu in before yesterdays horrible loss. I don't know how or why. What does Arch have to bitch about?
Lunardi had us as a #10 seed BEFORE we beat Minnesota - then dropped us to an #11 seed. My guess is that had something to do with it.

Reactions: cshartle123
Dear Archie,

Lol To put it simply, if PU is in the last 4 out, IU is a 6 seed.
Dumb.

You are missing the point. Archie is saying that Linardi is not a credible authority to “work harder” for. It’s understood that we are going to try to win every game.

Dear Archie,

Did Archie respond yet? Please keep us posted.

Did Archie respond yet? Please keep us posted.
I like 82’s sincerity. It’s really coming from the heart. And then there’s calling people idiots (cf. next to last paragraph), which keeps up the reader’s interest AND circulation numbers. Calumny shifts units.

I give it three, three and a half stars.

it reminded me of the Bobby Knight years when the team began to struggle, and he responded by telling everybody that they were idiots and did not understand the game. Particularly members of the press.
For the record, the annals of IU basketball, it didn't happen that way.

Guessing Lunardi talking about IU and Purdue consistently losing to good teams is what set Archie off, not necessarily that his team is on Lunardis bubble.

I believe IU should be on the bubble. But that comment turned me a little bit to start questioning the NET rankings, and to start being defensive as well. Can’t imagine if I were the coach of a team battling it out in the meat grinder B10. To have some nerd make a comment like that. Especially when both IU and Purdue have as many quality Quad 1 and 2 wins as anyone. And in IUs case, ZERO bad losses...if measured by the NET quad system.

Lunardi is branching out into click bait comments. He/they/we shouldn’t be shocked when proud basketball coaches take him to task on such comments.

Further...I would say Lunardi should grow a pair and penalize UK and Duke seeding wise for their quad 3 and 4 losses. Top 3-4 seed teams shouldn’t have those losses. Period.

Again...IU should be on the bubble. The commentary about regularly losing to good teams was BS click bait.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Ehh I have no problem with Archie's response. Knowing Doyel that is exactly the reaction he was trying to get out of Archie given the time of the question. He answered it truthfully, so be it.

Bracketology is the single dumbest thing about the month of March in college basketball. I completely agree with Archie, and don't fault him for going off on Lunardi. These so-called "bracketologists" are no different than the mainstream media in that their value is all based on ratings/eyeballs. It's good for business when guys such as Lunardi are able to get various fan bases worked up over tournament seeding, the bubble, etc.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Further...I would say Lunardi should grow a pair and penalize UK and Duke seeding wise for their quad 3 and 4 losses. Top 3-4 seed teams shouldn’t have those losses. Period.

Again...IU should be on the bubble. The commentary about regularly losing to good teams was BS click bait.

The commentary of the Joe Lunardis of the world should not be Archie's concern -- and it certainly shouldn't be the thing that gets a rise out of him. What should get a rise out of him is the sad fact that his program is where it is after 3 years -- not that people who write their opinions for a living are noticing it and writing about it.

I have a hard time disagreeing with what Fran Fraschilla tweeted about Archie's Sesame Street outburst:

I personally like Archie Miller (and he’ll crush me like Lunardi for saying this) but I think you have to win big at a place like Indiana if you’re going to keep acting like this.
That is the heart of the problem here. Not that I'd endorse Archie acting like he did in any circumstance. But he's angry at the wrong person. What he should be doing are things that acknowledge the fact that he's not producing the results he should be...not lashing out at those who are acknowledging it.

Last edited:
The commentary of the Joe Lunardis of the world should not be Archie's concern -- and it certainly shouldn't be the thing that gets a rise out of him. What should get a rise out of him is the sad fact that his program is where it is after 3 years -- not that people who write their opinions for a living are noticing it and writing about it.

I have a hard time disagreeing with what Fran Fraschilla tweeted about Archie's Sesame Street outburst:

I personally like Archie Miller (and he’ll crush me like Lunardi for saying this) but I think you have to win big at a place like Indiana if you’re going to keep acting like this.
That is the heart of the problem here. Not that I'd endorse Archie acting like he did in any circumstance. But he's angry at the wrong person. What he should be doing are things that acknowledge the fact that he's not producing the results he should be...not lashing out at those are acknowledging it.

Oh please. The timing of the question from Gregg Doyel was to get the exact reaction from Archie. Ask the question during the middle of the week and not 20 minutes after an emotionally tough loss and I bet you get a different answer. Doyel was being a condescending dick asking that question and he got a condescending answer.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Ehh I have no problem with Archie's response. Knowing Doyel that is exactly the reaction he was trying to get out of Archie given the time of the question. He answered it truthfully, so be it.

OK, but Lunardi wasn't wrong. I wish Archie would exhibit half as much disgust at how his team plays as he displayed about a few words that Joe Lunardi wrote.

OK, but Lunardi wasn't wrong. I wish Archie would exhibit half as much disgust at how his team plays as he displayed about a few words that Joe Lunardi wrote.

Who cares. You have no clue what Archie says or does behind closed doors with his team behind closed doors. He was asked a specific question about his teams resume and how it pertains to bracketology and he answered.

Oh please. The timing of the question from Gregg Doyel was to get the exact reaction from Archie. Ask the question during the middle of the week and not 20 minutes after an emotionally tough loss and I bet you get a different answer. Doyel was being a condescending dick asking that question and he got a condescending answer.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. And I'm hardly one to stand up for Doyel or anybody else in the press. Of course they like to stir the pot and manufacture drama.

But it misses my point entirely -- which, if you'll notice, began with Archie not taking Doyel's bait. But it didn't end there.

Let me put it this way: if our team had a successful season and everybody -- including Miller himself -- was happy with the job our coaching staff was doing, do you think Archie would've reacted the way he did....whether after a tough loss or not.

The context matters here. And the elephant in the room is that Archie's tenure at Indiana is looking like it will be a failure. And Archie probably knows it, and is thus acting like a wounded animal. Fran Fraschilla certainly seems to know it. And, yeah, so do the Doyels and Lunardis of the world...blood in the water creates a feeding frenzy for guys like them.

Who cares. You have no clue what Archie says or does behind closed doors with his team behind closed doors. He was asked a specific question about his teams resume and how it pertains to bracketology and he answered.

I'm not talking about what he says behind closed doors, Geez.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. And I'm hardly one to stand up for Doyel or anybody else in the press. Of course they like to stir the pot and manufacture drama.

But it misses my point entirely -- which, if you'll notice, began with Archie not taking Doyel's bait. But it didn't end there.

Let me put it this way: if our team had a successful season and everybody -- including Miller himself -- was happy with the job our coaching staff was doing, do you think Archie would've reacted the way he did....whether after a tough loss or not.

The context matters here. And the elephant in the room is that Archie's tenure at Indiana is looking like it will be a failure. And Archie probably knows it, and is thus acting like a wounded animal. Fran Fraschilla certainly seems to know it. And, yeah, so do the Doyels and Lunardis of the world...blood in the water is like a feeding frenzy for guys like them.

He can still be frustrated with his team while also acknowledging that his team still has the resume to get invited to the tournament. The tone of Doyel's question in my opinion was to get Archie to say something along the lines of "my team doesn't deserve to make it". Archie clearly feels differently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT