ADVERTISEMENT

An excellent article on how successfully South Korea is fighting this pandemic.

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
In a nutshell, South Korea learned the hard lessons from precious experiences, and successfully fights the current pandemic systematically, scientifically, and collectively across the political party line.
Excellent article from The Atlantic.
I strongly recommend it.

Here's a string of tweets by an American there that also outlines the procedures policies there. It seems like some thought went into it!

@michaelvkim

---
As an American currently in South Korea, it’s very interesting to me the stark contrast of how different the two countries’ response to coronavirus is. I don’t think most Americans fully understand the lengths that South Korea has undergone, so I’ll try my best to explain.

Upon arrival, they take your temperature at the airport and ask if you’ve experienced any symptoms. If you have, they move you to a separate area and give you a coronavirus test. If you haven’t, they take you to another area and interview you. They also install ankle bracelets.

You are required to install an app on your phone and enable location tracking all the time. You are required to self-report symptoms in the app twice a day. If you don’t have symptoms, you need to report that too. This goes on for a period of 14 days.

During this time, you are not allowed to leave the quarantine dormitory or your home if you’ve chosen to self-isolate at home. You cannot take public transportation or taxi, and you cannot self-isolate in a hotel or Airbnb. If you don’t have a home, you must use the dorm.

If you break quarantine, you are fined $10,000 USD and face jail time. Also, they check your location on your phone frequently. My wife had her location checked 37 times in a 3 day span. And they’ve caught enterprising folks who leave their phone at home and go out.

During this self-isolation, you cannot have contact with anyone during this time. They give you special trash bags to throw away your trash in, and people in hazmat suits come and collect your trash upon request.

You are assigned to a case worker who is responsible for making sure you are following all the orders. They will call you and text you to make sure you are OK. They also will send you care packages that contains a lot of food, gloves and masks, sanitary pads for women, etc.

If there’s a new coronavirus case in your general area (same city or district), you get a Public Safety Alert on your phone that tell you about the person (age, male/female, city) and provides updates as they receive them.

I forgot to mention that Korea also has mobilized their army to provide more operations and logistics support at the airport.

We were required to get a COVID-19 test within 3 days of arriving, which is the only activity that’s allowed to break quarantine. You have to do this in coordination with the case worker. As a family of 4, we were done testing in about 10 minutes. Test results came in 7 hours.

In response to recent public safety alerts, my family changed our plans for the next several weeks to avoid certain areas. Places with lots of traffic like Korea’s version of Walmart have temperature monitors installed so you can see everyone’s temperature.

There’s absolutely no protests or demonstrations about the anti-freedom measures or invasion of privacy. I’m not an expert in Korean politics but it seems like everyone accepts these measures as required to address this pandemic.

While we still take precautions like wearing masks in public, washing hands frequently, using hand sanitizer, etc., I feel pretty confident that the government knows everyone who has coronavirus and is tracking things very closely, which means I don’t have to worry as much.

And like some of the articles have mentioned, if you’ve been to a place where someone who has coronavirus has also visited, someone will contact you to get tested and undergo self-isolation for another 14-day period.

Contrast that with the situation in the US... no one really knows everyone who has coronavirus, so you have to assume that everyone has it. And there’s really no actionable plan to address that particular issue.

Not trying to be political, just wanted to showcase the situation in a country that seems to have an actionable plan that has resulted in a dramatic decrease in cases and fatalities. In case people were interested.

South Korea says there are now 101 new cases of coronavirus linked to a nightclub district in Seoul

On the BBC. This is unsurprising, as nightclubs serve pretty much the opposite purpose to social distancing.
rolleyes.gif

Here's a string of tweets by an American there that also outlines the procedures policies there. It seems like some thought went into it!

@michaelvkim

---
As an American currently in South Korea, it’s very interesting to me the stark contrast of how different the two countries’ response to coronavirus is. I don’t think most Americans fully understand the lengths that South Korea has undergone, so I’ll try my best to explain.

Upon arrival, they take your temperature at the airport and ask if you’ve experienced any symptoms. If you have, they move you to a separate area and give you a coronavirus test. If you haven’t, they take you to another area and interview you. They also install ankle bracelets.

You are required to install an app on your phone and enable location tracking all the time. You are required to self-report symptoms in the app twice a day. If you don’t have symptoms, you need to report that too. This goes on for a period of 14 days.

During this time, you are not allowed to leave the quarantine dormitory or your home if you’ve chosen to self-isolate at home. You cannot take public transportation or taxi, and you cannot self-isolate in a hotel or Airbnb. If you don’t have a home, you must use the dorm.

If you break quarantine, you are fined $10,000 USD and face jail time. Also, they check your location on your phone frequently. My wife had her location checked 37 times in a 3 day span. And they’ve caught enterprising folks who leave their phone at home and go out.

During this self-isolation, you cannot have contact with anyone during this time. They give you special trash bags to throw away your trash in, and people in hazmat suits come and collect your trash upon request.

You are assigned to a case worker who is responsible for making sure you are following all the orders. They will call you and text you to make sure you are OK. They also will send you care packages that contains a lot of food, gloves and masks, sanitary pads for women, etc.

If there’s a new coronavirus case in your general area (same city or district), you get a Public Safety Alert on your phone that tell you about the person (age, male/female, city) and provides updates as they receive them.

I forgot to mention that Korea also has mobilized their army to provide more operations and logistics support at the airport.

We were required to get a COVID-19 test within 3 days of arriving, which is the only activity that’s allowed to break quarantine. You have to do this in coordination with the case worker. As a family of 4, we were done testing in about 10 minutes. Test results came in 7 hours.

In response to recent public safety alerts, my family changed our plans for the next several weeks to avoid certain areas. Places with lots of traffic like Korea’s version of Walmart have temperature monitors installed so you can see everyone’s temperature.

There’s absolutely no protests or demonstrations about the anti-freedom measures or invasion of privacy. I’m not an expert in Korean politics but it seems like everyone accepts these measures as required to address this pandemic.

While we still take precautions like wearing masks in public, washing hands frequently, using hand sanitizer, etc., I feel pretty confident that the government knows everyone who has coronavirus and is tracking things very closely, which means I don’t have to worry as much.

And like some of the articles have mentioned, if you’ve been to a place where someone who has coronavirus has also visited, someone will contact you to get tested and undergo self-isolation for another 14-day period.

Contrast that with the situation in the US... no one really knows everyone who has coronavirus, so you have to assume that everyone has it. And there’s really no actionable plan to address that particular issue.

Not trying to be political, just wanted to showcase the situation in a country that seems to have an actionable plan that has resulted in a dramatic decrease in cases and fatalities. In case people were interested.

The right wing nuts would sue over the “forced” temperature taking in the first paragraph. We can’t do any of this because the right has spent decades indoctrinating people that the government is the enemy and they believe it.

Korea is a unique country to look at. Where does the public cooperation come from? I think in part it would be interesting to compare Nation States who have had forced Military Conscript to those that don’t. I’m not sure it would measure out or not but I think a country like Korea that has it, probably will have a more willing populace to put up with the inconveniences.

I was stationed with their 2nd ROK Marine Division for over a year. I witnessed the severe beating of Korean troops, and the harsh punishment for failing to follow orders. They would get beat in the Street for missing a salute. There were only 5 Americans on the base so yes we did get to see the everyday life.

I just think you have a small population that has been subjected to harsh rules and are easy to accept punishment for minor violations.

just an idea guys.

EDIT: They still have air raid drills each month that the entire nation participates in. You drive down the freeway and all of a sudden there are large barricades built along the freeways to turn them into airfields if a war breaks out. It’s a bit different to compare a nation at war who gives up Liberty’s to fight, and others that aren’t in that position.

Last edited:
South Korea is about the size of New Jersey and does not have to abide by the constitution in a way that we do in America.

Of course they are doing “better”

South Korea is about the size of New Jersey and does not have to abide by the constitution in a way that we do in America.

Of course they are doing “better”

I have work three continents and 20+ countries, you don't go into every country thinking it's so different. You look for the similarities and work within that context to get things done. If the first thing you do is to look at the differences, then you might as well have stayed at home. You would have learnt nothing in life since its such a narrow view.

Most people across the world are the same with some minor differences. If you look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it can be applicable to almost everyone in the world unless you are some sociopath. But if your first instinct is to look at race, the flag, language or even religion, then nothing gets done.

Those are superficialities which can easily be overcome with the right understanding, re-conditioning and attitude. Its an issue of how parochial you are that reflects how you see the world.

Are your first instincts to look at differences or to assume that most people are the same with some minor variance? One build walls and the other bridges.
With walls, you rationalise things and make excuses for your own ignorance and eventually learn nothing.

I have work three continents and 20+ countries, you don't go into every country thinking it's so different. You look for the similarities and work within that context to get things done. If the first thing you do is to look at the differences, then you might as well have stayed at home. You would have learnt nothing in life since its such a narrow view.

Most people across the world are the same with some minor differences. If you look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it can be applicable to almost everyone in the world unless you are some sociopath. But if your first instinct is to look at race, the flag, language or even religion, then nothing gets done.

Those are superficialities which can easily be overcome with the right understanding, re-conditioning and attitude. Its an issue of how parochial you are that reflects how you see the world.

Are your first instincts to look at differences or to assume that most people are the same with some minor variance? One build walls and the other bridges.
With walls, you rationalise things and make excuses for your own ignorance and eventually learn nothing.

Huh? What does that have to do with what I said?

I’m sure the Koreans share many similarities to us. In fact I know they do.

But they have a different geographic and legal landscape than we do

@michaelvkim

---

I saw this on twitter also. If only...

Seoul is a lot like New York City (though a lot bigger)

But there, the government can say to any visitor or anyone testing positive "wear this ankle bracelet for 14 days, install this app, and complete your daily electronic survey"

They say "wow, how smart"

In the USA we say "not gonna do it, big brother"

That seems not to be fixable

The right wing nuts would sue over the “forced” temperature taking in the first paragraph. We can’t do any of this because the right has spent decades indoctrinating people that the government is the enemy and they believe it.
You are really nuts. It's not the right win nuts with the vast majority of cases/deaths. some of you are so myopic in your hatred for trump and the right that you simply cannot see the forest for the trees. It's the urban, black population. Do you really think the measures set forth in south korea even remotely translate to the realities this population faces in america? it's beyond apples to oranges. 70 percent of the covid deaths in chicago are blacks. 70 percent. now what on earth does that have to do with right wing nuts? this is where house parties are taking place. this is where the police show up thirty minutes after a call for help. how are these folks going to be tested? by whom?

You are really nuts. It's not the right win nuts with the vast majority of cases/deaths. some of you are so myopic in your hatred for trump and the right that you simply cannot see the forest for the trees. It's the urban, black population. Do you really think the measures set forth in south korea even remotely translate to the realities this population faces in america? it's beyond apples to oranges. 70 percent of the covid deaths in chicago are blacks. 70 percent. now what on earth does that have to do with right wing nuts? this is where house parties are taking place. this is where the police show up thirty minutes after a call for help. how are these folks going to be tested? by whom?

Reading comprehension. I didn’t talk about the communities affected. I said that one group would bring a lawsuit to prevent the government from requiring certain measures. That’s absolutely correct and there are many examples available.

Reading comprehension. I didn’t talk about the communities affected. I said that one group would bring a lawsuit to prevent the government from requiring certain measures. That’s absolutely correct and there are many examples available.
so what if they bring a lawsuit. you think just bringing a lawsuit automatically prevents certain measures. there will be a judge. an appeals court. blah blah blah. if it gets through all that than maybe the suit was a good thing. truth is you're just looking for another way to swipe at the right.

so what if they bring a lawsuit. you think just bringing a lawsuit automatically prevents certain measures. there will be a judge. an appeals court. blah blah blah. if it gets through all that than maybe the suit was a good thing. truth is you're just looking for another way to swipe at the right.

No I’m just pointing out why we can’t even consider certain measures. The right is very distrustful of government. Who do you think these protesters are?

No I’m just pointing out why we can’t even consider certain measures. The right is very distrustful of government. Who do you think these protesters are?
Your point is meaningless. it's just more partisan attack language. the left is also distrustful of government. Do you think these minority communities that fear government are republicans? the ones who skip jury duty because they think something bad could happen to them if they go to a court? The partisanship is silly. it cuts both ways. and you think we can't even consider certain measures because of a lawsuit that "might" be filed in one county court in who knows where america? that's beyond silly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT