ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one who doesn't "get"

Ditto

Never cared much for Scott. Not that I'm celebrating his death or anything like that.

You'd think he was Robin Williams or something.

It's ESPN. It's expected to be overly sensationalized.

My take: it wasn't just ESPN; it was an organic response....

Wilbon said today on PTI, the level of response surprised him. I felt the same. I woke up and learned of it from a notification on my phone. And I didn't have a visceral response. But I thought about it that morning. I thought about how many hours I spent watching morning SportsCenters as kid anchored by him, and I wanted to respond. So I posted something on Facebook. I responded to RF's thread here. And evidently a ton of people did the same thing.

So that's how the level of response was surprising, but then not. Because while he didn't have a singular act of greatness or notoriety, he was just a fundamental piece of cable sports media, that has now morphed to a digital, Internet-driven media, and he was that for sports fans in about a twenty-year age range.

Example: Kobe Bryant's old as balls as pro athlete right, but he can remember back to when no one knew his name and he was watching Stuart Scott on SportsCenter, then he can remember the first time Scott did a highlight package of him on SportCenter, and then him interviewing him during multiple NBA finals. That's perspective on the swath of the audience he built.

Now add to that the cultural impact he had on sports broadcasting as well as fighting 3 separate bouts of cancer, which IDGAF if you're a multi-millionaire or a bum whose waisted life's opportunities, that is commendable to go through that challenge, and I think you get the response.

I bitch about a lot of E!SPN's shortcomings, but I don't see anything wrong with the way they covered this. Mike Hall, on BTN before the IU game, worked briefly for ESPN (I think he won their short-lived anchor competition) and, with red eyes glassy from welling-up tears, eulogized Scott. So I think this feels very germane from a lot of people.

Perhaps he meant as much to them as Andy did to the people here.

With celebrities we never really know how they are behind closed doors. We see their TV personalities just like a lot of us only knew ARuss by his online personality. Those lucky enough to know the real him were very moved by his passing and spend days here memorializing him. Perhaps Stuart Scott was that kind of person behind the cameras. The part that bothered me most about Scott's passing was that he's someone I grew up with and now he's gone. Just reminds me of my own mortality and how time is running out on the clock.

Great post. Well said.

He bridged so many different cultural gaps. He certainly influenced SVP, who I consider one of the best (if not THE best) sportscasters today. Together they were sublime. His One Big Thing piece on his show today was a beautiful eulogy.

I have to admit:

I celebrated a little.

Just a little champagne, a little caviar... nothing too fancy.

I understand what it is like to lose a co-worker

They are doing what we did when Andy died. We just didn't have a network to do it on. I heard of Scott's death on the same weekend a person I worked with and friend told me his cancer has spread throughout his body after having a kidney removed. He is already on dialysis and not sure he wants to fight this. He is 52 with 3 kids. He says it is real tempting to just enjoy the time he has left at home. I could only say that I want him here as long as possible, but I understand facing this on his terms. It is not about me being selfish, but about what he and his family wants.

Our news has been reporting the 7 year old that was the only survivor of a plane crash south of us. It is hard for me to watch Stuart's daily memorial with other tragic things happening closer to me. It is terrible that Stuart Scott left too early and left his kids behind, but everybody is facing something like this in silence.

BGunn had the best response.

BGunn is the Winner for his comparison with our fallen comrade.

But I personally agree with GFC's sentiments. Although, I guess I don't watch as much ESPN as he does.

Reactions: Year.Round.Winners
The Aruss/Stuart Scott comparisons are legitimate...

Here, on the OTF, we paid sympathy, shared our stories and memories about Andy.

Is what ESPN is doing any different than what we did for Andy?

Both guys touched a lot of people, and obviously they had an impact on other people's lives.

Two of my best friends are former co workers of mine. I've had the opportunity to attend their weddings, watch their children grow up and after over 20 years,even tho they live in different states, we're still close.

I also worked with a couple guys who went to games with, went fishing with who are now no longer with us. I know they meant a lot to me and I think about them from time to time.

I guess if people get tired of watching the Stuart Scott eulogies and stuff, they can always turn the channel.

See Kent die. See girl struggle

Concise enough for you?

A great person deserves a few more words.

Well, in these few words I learned his name was Kent

and he was a great person. Two nuggets I did not get out of the unabridged version.

Did any of this struggle occur while wearing a 2-piece?

Reactions: Year.Round.Winners
You want pics of guys in a 2-piece?

Can't help you out with that, but I am sure there is a website you can find all you want.
wink.r191677.gif

I think you get it, but not in this context

This is the phenomenon of celebrity.

People we don't really know, but we think we know because we "associate" them with different points of our life and in some instances, part of our routine.

Robin Williams fit the bill.

Musicians fit the bill.

Stuart Scott fit the bill, particularly in the sports world forum.

What's your bill?

ADVERTISEMENT