ADVERTISEMENT

Alright Science Nerds...

I thought the Direwolf was a fictional animal from the HBO hit series Game of Thrones.

Pretty big revelation.

Just yet another final nail in the "Clovis first" coffin. It's crazy how many final nails we need until people finally accept what's been pretty obvious for years now.

Most likely, the first migrants followed the Pacific coast (a coast that is now submerged under 120 feet of water), thousands of years before the melting of the glaciers opened up the famous inland route.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Just yet another final nail in the "Clovis first" coffin. It's crazy how many final nails we need until people finally accept what's been pretty obvious for years now.

Most likely, the first migrants followed the Pacific coast (a coast that is now submerged under 120 feet of water), thousands of years before the melting of the glaciers opened up the famous inland route.

Yeah, but those people were not always East Asian.

That's a strange way to characterize that link. What's your point?
That we often make assumptions about things based on our modern view of how the world works as opposed to what really happened.

Right now the idea is that a land bridge got the early "Americans" here. That would mean that people would have had to migrate from Europe, across Asia, to get to the Americas. Or...maybe there is even more we don't know and people from Asia and Europe were both finding a way to get here and then intermingling?

That we often make assumptions about things based on our modern view of how the world works as opposed to what really happened.

Right now the idea is that a land bridge got the early "Americans" here. That would mean that people would have had to migrate from Europe, across Asia, to get to the Americas. Or...maybe there is even more we don't know and people from Asia and Europe were both finding a way to get here and then intermingling?
I'm not sure you quite understood your own link. All it does is report a finding that might answer why the NA genome includes so many haplotypes common in Europe and west Asia. Namely that a population migrated from west to east shortly before the migration to the Americas, and this population might have supplied some of the genes of the people who eventually made the journey, i.e., by breeding with the east Asian populations already in Siberia.

I'm not sure you quite understood your own link. All it does is report a finding that might answer why the NA genome includes so many haplotypes common in Europe and west Asia. Namely that a population migrated from west to east shortly before the migration to the Americas, and this population might have supplied some of the genes of the people who eventually made the journey, i.e., by breeding with the east Asian populations already in Siberia.
Absolutely possible/probable. And before we had good DNA testing, conventional wisdom would have said that there should not be European markers in the Native American populations. But we found them and now conventional wisdom is that they must have moved east to west and probably intermingled before they crossed the land bridge and got here. Just looking at things from our current understanding, that makes the most sense now. However, I believe we keep finding out new things that challenge conventional wisdom.

Like this for instance:

Europeans fighting with indigenous tribes almost 500 years before Columbus's "discovery". To make that assertion would have been relying on Viking oral tradition prior to the discovery of L'anse Aux Meadows in the 1960's.

I think things like this are interesting and are fun to look at because of poking holes in conventional wisdom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT