ADVERTISEMENT

Almost another heartbreaking loss...crisis averted

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
In clarity of day after, we are SO lucky to be where we are today with a W.

Let me be clear, I believe IU should have won the game, but we DID do some of the old dumb things to almost give it away as had done in years past. Let’s recap:

-running ball with 15 seconds in 1st half, fumble, PSU SHOULD have gotten FG there.

- Offense most of game could NOT move the ball and give the defense a rest. Could feel PSU starting to come back, and people would have blamed the defense, but it as like 30 min vs 10 min time of possession! The offense gets maybe even one First down on second to last drive and they burn time outs and we punt them into deep with much less time left. But instead they scored and it sure gets like “holy cow, we’ve found a way to lose again!

-We get ball back and cant move it at all, go for it 4th & long and hand ball over. Literally we can thank an over eager FR RB for not thinking to take a dive at the one bc if he had, it was game over and we’d all be saying: “Allen, Penix, OC, Defense sucks, program is cursed, etc”

-But maybe when you work hard and fri d, the FB gods do smile on you to give you one more chance? Just because they scored to go up 8 we were still not guaranteed anything. Penix star quality & some big plays by the receivers did come out to score and his 2 pt run was improvisational genius. Then his TD pass to Whop was dead on and the “The Play” was heroic to win it! (And FB Gods didn’t overturn it either!)

IU should have won and played their guts out. I’m beyond ecstatic. I just hope the coaches & players now LEARN from the many mistakes to correct but build upon the ma y tho ha they did very well and Lee things going. NO game is a gimme in the B10. But believe we have the talent to be 4-0 heading into OSU. I believe Penix will use this confidence and I can see him picking teams apart moving forward. WR’s will start figuring out how to catch his darts, and if offense can stay on field longer our defense can seemingly hang with just about anyone, especially if they are decently rested.

onward!

Oh and I forgot to add the inconceivable kick off squib that also almost lost us the game by about 1 yard! Imagine how distraught we would have been had that crossed the cross bar bc of that kick off?
The FB Gods were finally

Reactions: vesuvius13
In clarity of day after, we are SO lucky to be where we are today with a W.

Let me be clear, I believe IU should have won the game, but we DID do some of the old dumb things to almost give it away as had done in years past. Let’s recap:

-running ball with 15 seconds in 1st half, fumble, PSU SHOULD have gotten FG there.

- Offense most of game could NOT move the ball and give the defense a rest. Could feel PSU starting to come back, and people would have blamed the defense, but it as like 30 min vs 10 min time of possession! The offense gets maybe even one First down on second to last drive and they burn time outs and we punt them into deep with much less time left. But instead they scored and it sure gets like “holy cow, we’ve found a way to lose again!

-We get ball back and cant move it at all, go for it 4th & long and hand ball over. Literally we can thank an over eager FR RB for not thinking to take a dive at the one bc if he had, it was game over and we’d all be saying: “Allen, Penix, OC, Defense sucks, program is cursed, etc”

-But maybe when you work hard and fri d, the FB gods do smile on you to give you one more chance? Just because they scored to go up 8 we were still not guaranteed anything. Penix star quality & some big plays by the receivers did come out to score and his 2 pt run was improvisational genius. Then his TD pass to Whop was dead on and the “The Play” was heroic to win it! (And FB Gods didn’t overturn it either!)

IU should have won and played their guts out. I’m beyond ecstatic. I just hope the coaches & players now LEARN from the many mistakes to correct but build upon the ma y tho ha they did very well and Lee things going. NO game is a gimme in the B10. But believe we have the talent to be 4-0 heading into OSU. I believe Penix will use this confidence and I can see him picking teams apart moving forward. WR’s will start figuring out how to catch his darts, and if offense can stay on field longer our defense can seemingly hang with just about anyone, especially if they are decently rested.

onward!
Agree with your assessment. We should have won the game outright, with no doubt about it, but the same old IU blunders made this one more difficult.

Still, with all the crap/bad breaks we've had over the years (mostly self-inflicted), I'll be happy to call this a W.

Agree with your assessment. We should have won the game outright, with no doubt about it, but the same old IU blunders made this one more difficult.

Still, with all the crap/bad breaks we've had over the years (mostly self-inflicted), I'll be happy to call this a W.

In all fairness, people look at stats and it is concerning but remember that there were 2 interceptions that set us up for short drives.

After decades of seeing blown calls, balls sailing above the upright, phantom interference (Phillip Rivers NC State), it was nice to see this shit happen to someone else.

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It is nice to have play makers that will make plays at the end to win games. The last drive of the game in regulation was a thing of beauty with the pass on target and young receivers making plays. The defense showed they can make plays to win games and our LS, punter, kicker, and holder were solid all game. It was a great win and the key to a great season is to improve each game.

Reactions: IndyIUFan66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT