ADVERTISEMENT

Allocating the minutes

Nowhere did the article mentioned chemistry. I think the first cut will be based on who plays a good team defense. And then it will be the same on offense. I see swarming defense and an unselfish offense. It will be great to see good fundamental basketball again on a consistent basis.

Nowhere did the article mentioned chemistry. I think the first cut will be based on who plays a good team defense. And then it will be the same on offense. I see swarming defense and an unselfish offense. It will be great to see good fundamental basketball again on a consistent basis.
I see long small ball. Which works really well for the packline defense. It's almost like the coach set it up that way.

The more depth a team has, the fewer minutes the star players must play, and the same goes for winning games. If Morgan has help, he may play about the same or slightly less.

But the mpg that is clearly going to be wrong is Durham. He will be better than last year and they only have 4 true guards. His minutes won't be cut by 10mpg. No chance of that.

Do these guys actually think about what they write?

Reactions: IUgradman
I see long small ball. Which works really well for the packline defense. It's almost like the coach set it up that way.
Look further. There's a small ball team, an even smaller quicker small ball team, five out team, a quick defensive team, a power team. We have so many lineup options it can get confusing.

And a packline is most effective with a huge long post, who's a rim protector, not as a small ball lineup. The rim protector allows aggressive overplay on the perimeter instead of just containment. Look at Virginia, they always have a huge post. Ditto Zona. Attacking on defense without a rim protector will result in breakdowns and easy baskets at the rim.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Look further. There's a small ball team, an even smaller quicker small ball team, five out team, a quick defensive team, a power team. We have so many lineup options it can get confusing.

And a packline is most effective with a huge long post, who's a rim protector, not as a small ball lineup. The rim protector allows aggressive overplay on the perimeter instead of just containment. Look at Virginia, they always have a huge post. Ditto Zona. Attacking on defense without a rim protector will result in breakdowns and easy baskets at the rim.
Archie seems more comfortable without a true center imo.

Archie seems more comfortable without a true center imo.
lol ..

It's hard to recruit a rim protecting post at Dayton. If ready to play and not a project, they tend to be five stars and pro prospects.

And, I know for a fact Arch knows better. He wouldn't have made it this far as a coach if he didn't. I'm positive he's seen the analytics on what happens to defense efficiency when a team gains a post player who blocks 4+ shots per 40 or on 10% of possessions and it doesn't matter what defense they run.

Do you not get what a rim protector does, he doesn't just block shots. He allows the perimeter a safety net to overplay and extend more and play closer to their players, which lessons the space on rotations and makes them quicker..

Last edited:
lol ..

It's hard to recruit a rim protecting post at Dayton. If ready to play and not a project, they tend to be five stars and pro prospects.

And, I know for a fact Arch knows better. He wouldn't have made it this far as a coach if he didn't. I'm positive he's seen the analytics on what happens to defense efficiency when a team gains a post player who blocks 4+ shots per 40 or on 10% of possessions and it doesn't matter what defense they run.

Do you not get what a rim protector does, he doesn't just block shots. He allows the perimeter a safety net to overplay and extend more and play closer to their players, which lessons the space on rotations and makes them quicker..

I think in today's game you ideally want a rim protector who can also guard a 4/5 out by the 3 point line when needed (instead of being immobile).

The more depth a team has, the fewer minutes the star players must play, and the same goes for winning games. If Morgan has help, he may play about the same or slightly less.

But the mpg that is clearly going to be wrong is Durham. He will be better than last year and they only have 4 true guards. His minutes won't be cut by 10mpg. No chance of that.

Amen.

And you don't have to bring Juwan back with first half foul trouble. You don't have to leave your 6'5 center in the game when he's gassed. You don't have to leave a one legged Colin Hartman in the game when he's clearly struggling physically.

Romeo is going to eat up all of the minutes at one of the guard positions. That leaves Green, Phinisee and Durham fighting for the other minutes, and I'd agree that Durham is 3rd amongst those 3 to get minutes, especially since Phinisee is the only true PG of the 3. I'd say the projection is about right.

I love the makeup of this team. With this many apparent options, it’s going to be interesting to see how CAM handles it.

I think Morgan, Langford, Smith, Hunter, Green, and Durham are going to be our most consistent contributors.

After that Is where I wonder? The center position is intriguing how does Davis recover? At 100% he needs to see the floor. Other candidates up-front include Fitzner, Thompson and maybe to a lesser degree Moore and Forester. How do those minutes shake out? Also, how do you keep McRoberts off the floor, with his gritty play and what if Anderson decides to break out? Finally, Phinisee who I see as a fine addition at PG will probably be eased in this season, although those who see Green and Durham struggling may disagree.

I think at the end of the day being as deep as we are, I’d like us to be flexible as to each particular match-up.

Morgan and Romeo will play as many minutes as Archie feels they can play. They will play more if it is a tight game and the game is on the line. The rest will fall into the oter 3 positions and fill in where needed. I still wouldn't expect any player over 30 minutes. That leaves time for Green, Phinisee, and Durham. There will be times we have a smaller lineup with 3 guards

Three guards will take away from the minutes for our young players. If Davis isn't available, we might play the more experienced players early.

Idon,t see Forrester, Davis, and Moore playing much. Anderson will play a little more, but not major minutes. That leaves McBob and the other 9 scholarship players to play a total of 200 minutes per game. That works out to 2 players at 30 mpg (probably unlikely we would have that in most games) and the other 8 players at 17.5 mpg. Some will play more and some less on any given night.

If Davis plays, Morgan might get more rest or adjustments will be made in the lineup. It will work out as we will have players missing games for illness or injury. If we are winning and people are contributing, all will be well.

lol ..

This is exactly what the 2002 team had, which allowed Coverdale to hang on D. Usually had both Newton and Jeffries on the floor. Leach got minutes too. We lead the Big Ten in blocked shots that year.

This is what he likes about Forrester

Reactions: T.M.P.
This is exactly what the 2002 team had, which allowed Coverdale to hang on D. Usually had both Newton and Jeffries on the floor. Leach got minutes too. We lead the Big Ten in blocked shots that year.

This is what he likes about Forrester
Great example. It also allowed Fife to not worry as much about the defender getting around him and he could check them chest to chest. The guys behind him in the lane helped make him a beast on defense.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I think in today's game you ideally want a rim protector who can also guard a 4/5 out by the 3 point line when needed (instead of being immobile).
Generally, one can be immobile, both cannot. But really depends on matchups and their effectiveness. The great thing is this .. the players we have in combination should give Arch an ideal matchup against any opposing post rotation the other team throws at us.

Just with Juwan we can pair him with Smith, Davis, or Fitz. They each complement a different part of his well rounded game and gives the team a new look and also different matchup problems they can run from it. All he needs to do is become more confident from 3.

Last edited:
I may not agree with The Daily Hoosier on their minute predictions, but it's not a bad problem to have. Coach Miller had 9 players averaging over 11 minutes his last season at Dayton. That's likely to be the case going forward.

My guess is earning minutes will become the norm. How you practice and your in-game performance will decide your minutes. That's a big change from what we were seeing previously when the coach's hands were tied because of extreme roster limitations.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I may not agree with The Daily Hoosier on their minute predictions, but it's not a bad problem to have. Coach Miller had 9 players averaging over 11 minutes his last season at Dayton. That's likely to be the case going forward.

My guess is earning minutes will become the norm. How you practice and your in-game performance will decide your minutes. That's a big change from what we were seeing previously when the coach's hands were tied because of extreme roster limitations.
These are good problems to have. But I do not want to hear about any crazy substitution patterns after we lose a close one in January, if we lose a close one in January.

Amen.

And you don't have to bring Juwan back with first half foul trouble. You don't have to leave your 6'5 center in the game when he's gassed. You don't have to leave a one legged Colin Hartman in the game when he's clearly struggling physically.
And you don’t have to look down your bench and think can anybody hit a three point shot?

Generally, one can be immobile, both cannot. But really depends on matchups and their effectiveness. The great thing is this .. the players we have in combination should give Arch an ideal matchup against any opposing post rotation the other team throws at us.

Just with Juwan we can pair him with Smith, Davis, or Fitz. They each complement a different part of his well rounded game and gives the team a new look and also different matchup problems they can run from it. All he needs to do is become more confident from 3.
I can tell you don't use spellcheck, do you? (Relax. Not a controversy.)

I can tell you don't use spellcheck, do you? (Relax. Not a controversy.)
Ugh, in this situation complement is the correct word not compliment.

Com-ple-ment
  • 1 : something that fills up, completes, or makes better or perfect
Com·pli·ment
  • 1 : a polite expression of praise or admiration:

I was using the incorrect one two weeks ago. Until @mike41703 pointed it out. He is smart, you are not.

Apologize, now.

Last edited:
Two players play well together, they complement each other.

Two players each say the other player is great, they compliment each other.

Ugh, in this situation complement is the correct word not compliment.

Com-ple-ment
  • 1 : something that fills up, completes, or makes better or perfect
Com·pli·ment
  • 1 : a polite expression of praise or admiration:

I was using the incorrect one two weeks ago. Until @mike41703 pointed it out. He is smart, you are not.

Apologize, now.
No! That was my point! I knew you didn't use spellcheck because you used "complement" correctly. Spellcheck would have changed it to "compliment".

Reactions: travlinhoosier
No! That was my point! I knew you didn't use spellcheck because you used "complement" correctly. Spellcheck would have changed it to "compliment".
Oh.....

lol .... my bad.

You get your smart card back.

ADVERTISEMENT