ADVERTISEMENT

Allen's Buyout / Coaching Hot Board

fpeaugh

All-American
Sep 19, 2001
It's time to actually talk about this. The Allen experiment didn't pay off. Last place in the East and 2nd to last in the entire conference. Blown out by a Purdue team with half the talent/experience as we have. There's no excuse for this.

The first question is what is Allen's buyout? It can't be much. He had absolutely no leverage when he signed.

Also, who are the candidates we want who we could possibly get? Top 3 candidates?

Reactions: IUgradman
Can you not wait 10 min until game is over? Really, do you ever ask what coaches would think reading the message board thinking you represent a typical IU fan?

Reactions: Sassy61
It's time to actually talk about this. The Allen experiment didn't pay off. Last place in the East and 2nd to last in the entire conference. Blown out by a Purdue team with half the talent/experience as we have. There's no excuse for this.

The first question is what is Allen's buyout? It can't be much. He had absolutely no leverage when he signed.

Also, who are the candidates we want who we could possibly get? Top 3 candidates?
Allen will be the head coach for a long time. He treats the players well.

Perhaps you should consider becoming a Purdue fan.

It is too early, but that's not to say Allen will be successful at IU. He very likely won't be. But he's got a few more years to show that he's a great guy and full of enthusiasm and catchy, feel good phrases, but lacking in the abilit to lead a Big Ten program. Recruiting is going to finish toward the bottom of the conference, and the defense is going to lose some key guys. This isn't likely to get better.

Reactions: Rakkasan29

This is the worst roster we’ve had since 11’. And we could still win the game. Even with a loss, he’s had the worst team IU has had in several years and still nearly made a bowl.

We also played every top team in the Big Ten. We're likely bowling as well with PU Big Ten schedule. That's a real recipe for success firing a coach after 1 year.

Reactions: dr.jb and MrBing
Well... the better team won. That is clear. They were simply much too much for our team. I don't suspect that the series will swing lopsided in any fashion. Our defense was exposed today. Our offense was putrid but Purdue's defense is light years ahead where they were.

Until next season. Have a great rest of the year to all fellow IU fans!

This is the worst roster we’ve had since 11’. And we could still win the game. Even with a loss, he’s had the worst team IU has had in several years and still nearly made a bowl.
What? We returned 16 starters from a team that went to a bowl last year and nearly beat Utah. What are you talking about?

This is the most talent we've had on defense in probably 20 years. And the same QB we had last year when we were at the top of the Big Ten in yards.

Enough of the excuses. We lose so much this year without much coming in. It's only going to get worse. Let's cut ties and move on to an actual Big Ten level head coach.

This is the one if the best defenses in the history of Indiana football. How is it the worse roster since 2011?
No, I said it’s the worst roster SINCE 2011, not worse than 2011. 2011 was horrible. But look... who had three starting QB’s in 12-13’, an NFL TE (Bolser), a stacked O-line where all of those guys at least got an nfl tryout on that offensive line, And two nfl running backs (coleman/Houston) along with the wideouts. Those defenses also had probably more talent, but had the worst d coordinator in the country and a head coach who didn’t care. I didn’t even mention the stacked receiver core through those first few Wilson years.

This roster is flat out has less talented, and this is the worst. The offense is much worse, and the defense is about the same talent wise. Bobby Richardson, zack Shaw, Ralph green, and Latham were on the d-line along with Mangerj. You had Oliver and Simmons at LB, and guys like Antonio Allen, Mark Murphy and Heban on the backend. Antonio Marshall was one of the top corners in the country before getting kicked out, Tim Bennett led the nation in pass breakup, and Michael Hunter is in the nfl now.

Wilson’s teams from 12’-16’ flat out had more talent when you look up and down the roster. The improvement on D is due to Tom Allen. So I think that there’s a legit case that this is our worst team since 2011, obviously with this team being much better than the 2011 team, but not as talented as the teams from 12-16.

Just look at what Purdue did compared to what we're stuck with. They went and hired a legit HC. We promoted a very inexperienced DC who was coaching HS not long ago.

Brohm is doing this with half the talent Allen is too. When you're getting shown up this bad by Purdue you know it's time to make some big changes.

No, I said it’s the worst roster SINCE 2011, not worse than 2011. 2011 was horrible. But look... who had three starting QB’s in 12-13’, an NFL TE (Bolser), a stacked O-line where all of those guys at least got an nfl tryout on that offensive line, And two nfl running backs (coleman/Houston) along with the wideouts. Those defenses also had probably more talent, but had the worst d coordinator in the country and a head coach who didn’t care. I didn’t even mention the stacked receiver core through those first few Wilson years.

This roster is flat out has less talented, and this is the worst. The offense is much worse, and the defense is about the same talent wise. Bobby Richardson, zack Shaw, Ralph green, and Latham were on the d-line along with Mangerj. You had Oliver and Simmons at LB, and guys like Antonio Allen, Mark Murphy and Heban on the backend. Antonio Marshall was one of the top corners in the country before getting kicked out, Tim Bennett led the nation in pass breakup, and Michael Hunter is in the nfl now.

Wilson’s teams from 12’-16’ flat out had more talent when you look up and down the roster. The improvement on D is due to Tom Allen. So I think that there’s a legit case that this is our worst team since 2011, obviously with this team being much better than the 2011 team, but not as talented as the teams from 12-16.
Oh, so you think Purdue is more talented than us? I think you’re missing some big variables.

Reactions: studed and fpeaugh
What? We returned 16 starters from a team that went to a bowl last year and nearly beat Utah. What are you talking about?

This is the most talent we've had on defense in probably 20 years. And the same QB we had last year when we were at the top of the Big Ten in yards.

Enough of the excuses. We lose so much this year without much coming in. It's only going to get worse. Let's cut ties and move on to an actual Big Ten level head coach.
No. Bobby Richardson, Shaw, Mangeri, Latham and green were flat out better than this d-line. 4 of those guys got at least an nfl tryout, and mangeri didn’t attempt to. This d-line doesn’t have that level of talent. They have a better DC and play hard. Throw in black and replogle who both made the league and there’s no way this d-line has as much talent as what we saw during the Wilson years. The offensive line had Rahrig, Feeney, Spriggs, Reed, and Matte all at least get nfl tryouts. This O-line is clearly the worst since 2011. At Linebacker I agree that scales is the best LB IU has had in decades, but we had Oliver those years, Cooper who led the team in tackles and Simmons. The secondary is probably even less deep. We had Antonio Allen, Bennett who led the nation in breakups, Hunter who is in the nfl, and heban and Murphy who were solid. I’d take heban or Murphy over Dutra, and I’d take any of those other corners over Andre brown jr. IU even had a kicker in ewald who was just as good as Oaks arguably. So I really think this roster is less talented when you look up and down the roster. Don’t even get me started on running back and receiver. We had Howard, Coleman, Houston, Redding and even Roberts during that period. I’d take all of those guys over what we have now. How is this roster more talented than any of those?

Why post something stupid like this because he is not going anywhere and shouldn't go anywhere. We will only finish one game worse than we did last year with your savior Wilson has the coach.

Also if you fired a coach after one year then you would not get anyone to come here that is worth a crap.

But it's not a roster worse than Purdue's, yet they've been thoroughly outclassed. Brohm walked into worse and has done much better. Allen isn't going anywhere, but he was given a job he wasn't qualified for, and he's shown he wasn't quite ready for prime time. Brohm was. Leadership matters.

Oh, so you think Purdue is more talented than us? I think you’re missing some big variables.
I understand your argument if Purdue is your benchmark. But the tone here almost makes it sound like this is the most talented team IU has ever put out there lol. This team is much worse. The peak chance for IU was probably 2015 when they had a top o line, an nfl qb and two thousand yard rushers. If you insert Tom Allen into that team, IU likely wins 8-9 games, because we lost multiple games by 1 score. The tone just makes it seem like this team has more talent than prior teams, and they don’t. But I concede the argument when it comes to Purdue. We should in theory beat them.

Allen is a stand up guy who has leadership qualities. Think he knows a thing or two about defense. Give it a rest. Wait for 2-3 years and then we can have a much more accurate view of the program and job he's done.

But it's not a roster worse than Purdue's, yet they've been thoroughly outclassed. Brohm walked into worse and has done much better. Allen isn't going anywhere, but he was given a job he wasn't qualified for, and he's shown he wasn't quite ready for prime time. Brohm was. Leadership matters.
I concede on that. We should probably beat Purdue or at least be more competitive. But some on this board act as if this was the best roster we’ve ever churned out. No way. You can go up and down the roster and show that it’s the worst in several years, and Allen is a big reason as to why the defense is playing at a high level. Scales is amazing, and fant is solid, but at every other position, you can highlight how we are worse compared to prior years.

Reactions: LeConte
I concede on that. We should probably beat Purdue or at least be more competitive. But some on this board act as if this was the best roster we’ve ever churned out. No way. You can go up and down the roster and show that it’s the worst in several years, and Allen is a big reason as to why the defense is playing at a high level. Scales is amazing, and fant is solid, but at every other position, you can highlight how we are worse compared to prior years.
I don’t know where you are coming from. Since 2011, we have arguably the best and most complete recruiting classes in the program’s history.

I don’t know where you are coming from. Since 2011, we have arguably the best and most complete recruiting classes in the program’s history.
So you’re saying that the 17’ class was the best and most complete class in IU history? Really... the 17’ class may have been the worst in my opinion, but those guys still have a long way to go. The 11’ 12’ and 13’ classes were better. The 14’ class was really good too. The 15’, 16’ and 17’ classes tailed off in my opinion. 13’ was arguably the best. And i’m Not talking about the classes in terms of rankings, but what the players in those classes actually did. To rank them in order 13’, 12’, 14’, and 11’ were probably the best recent classes, and Wilson missed on a lot of dudes at the tail end.

This "fire the coach" mentality seems to be the norm for IU football fans.
All we know how to do is find fault with coaches, players, AD, etc.
The list is pretty much endless...

Reactions: 82hoosier
So you’re saying that the 17’ class was the best and most complete class in IU history? Really... the 17’ class may have been the worst in my opinion, but those guys still have a long way to go. The 11’ 12’ and 13’ classes were better. The 14’ class was really good too. The 15’, 16’ and 17’ classes tailed off in my opinion. 13’ was arguably the best. And i’m Not talking about the classes in terms of rankings, but what the players in those classes actually did. To rank them in order 13’, 12’, 14’, and 11’ were probably the best recent classes, and Wilson missed on a lot of dudes at the tail end.
You do realize that players from “13’, 12’, 14’” are the leaders of this team. If the recruiting tailed off then how do you expect the next couple seasons to go?

Reactions: Nieman
You do realize that players from “13’, 12’, 14’” are the leaders of this team. If the recruiting tailed off then how do you expect the next couple seasons to go?
Everyone from 12’ graduated, everyone from 11’ graduated. So there are two classes right there when Wilson took over, where the whole class is obviously gone. Most of the 13’ guys (some 4 stars in that class) are gone too. So really 14’ is the main class of leaders, and that was the third best overall class based off of what players in that class actually did on the field. I think that IU will be fine though because Allen is a solid coach. He will do more with less, and the team will improve. But to say that 15’, 16’, and 17’ were great classes is a long stretch to me. Those players have not produced, and the O-line recruits at the tail end of wilson’s Tenure were not as good as his first classes when recruiting improved.

Allen is a stand up guy who has leadership qualities. Think he knows a thing or two about defense. Give it a rest. Wait for 2-3 years and then we can have a much more accurate view of the program and job he's done.

We have no choice but to wait a few years, but you have to admit the early returns are not good. This was about as bad a year, record wise, that this team could have had.

Everyone from 12’ graduated, everyone from 11’ graduated. So there are two classes right there when Wilson took over, where the whole class is obviously gone. Most of the 13’ guys (some 4 stars in that class) are gone too. So really 14’ is the main class of leaders, and that was the third best overall class based off of what players in that class actually did on the field. I think that IU will be fine though because Allen is a solid coach. He will do more with less, and the team will improve. But to say that 15’, 16’, and 17’ were great classes is a long stretch to me. Those players have not produced, and the O-line recruits at the tail end of wilson’s Tenure were not as good as his first classes when recruiting improved.
I agree with your assessment except for the part where 15’ and 16’ are not good classes. They were ranked 49th and 54th on Rivals. That’s not terrible compared to our history. Especially when you combine it with a 38th ranked 14’ class. Another variable is that we returned nearly all our starters this year. 5-7 with Virginia being our best win is not good enough.

Reactions: IUgradman

You disappeared after the Illinois and Rutgers wins, but have happily returned today. Only you know why you would post something so patently stupid. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but Allen's job is probably much more secure than yours is.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
IU won the bucket multiple years in a row and made it to back to back bowls. Not much to complain about. Just be patient and give the guy time.

I agree with your assessment except for the part where 15’ and 16’ are not good classes. They were ranked 49th and 54th on Rivals. That’s not terrible compared to our history. Especially when you combine it with a 38th ranked 14’ class. Another variable is that we returned nearly all our starters this year. 5-7 with Virginia being our best win is not good enough.

No it is not good enough. Going to have to see something a lot better next year.

Allen is not going anywhere and this was not a game of coach vs. coach. Purdue and IU have played each other close the past several years, so the talent discrepancy isn't as large as one thinks. Brohm did a great job this year. His defense will lose a bunch of guys.
It's amazing the long leash people here give to Archie and in the same breath say Allen is on the hot seat. Archie had at least three experienced guys from the starting 5 and laid an egg vs. ISU. Stick with the program. We got beat by a better team today. We weren't that good all season on offense and we desperately need an OL and a QB. It's the same offense we had last year with Wilson an Lagow. Get more players there and we will be okay.

Yep, keep waiting until next season. Success is right around the corner.

Reactions: bang63
Allen at a minimum needs to fire Grandpa DeBord and Glass needs to open up the checkbook to get a top OC.

Allen at a minimum needs to fire Grandpa DeBord and Glass needs to open up the checkbook to get a top OC.
What top flight OC would come to Indiana with our questionable QB situation, offensive line, and unproven running backs?

ADVERTISEMENT