ADVERTISEMENT

Allen is a negative TD head coach

Take points early for a 10 point lead. Next drive MP under throws a pick in EZ when you just need points. Can’t give all those points away. The last 2 picks were terrible and definitely on the QB.

The IU D and O did some good things today, but the TO’s can’t happen if IU is going to win games like this.

As disappointing as the Baldwin fumble was that would have given IU a 1-point lead, wish I could have felt more confident IU d would pick him up there and force a punt deep in their own territory.

Last edited:
Take points early for a 10 point lead. Next drive MP under throws a pick in EZ when you just need points. Can’t give all those points away. The last 2 picks were terrible and definitely on the QB.

The IU D and O did some good things today, but the TO’s can’t happen if IU is going to win games like this.

Horrendous clock management game after game after game. Inexcusable to play Allen Jr. Is he really up next on the depth chart? And with any adversity the team has no composure. As soon as Mcf went out the team collapsed. Gotta be better than this. Losing DeBoer was the worst thing that has happened to IU fball in recent memory. His Fresno team will probably beat a ranked UCLA tonight. With no DeBoer Allen looks a lot less smart.

You guys are idiots. This knee jerk stuff after games is ridiculous.

IU played well enough to win, and obviously Allen should have kicked an FG up 7-0. There was a terrible no call on PI on Fryfogle. Roughing the passer on Allen was terrible.

The targeting was a bad call and completely changed the game.

There's still a ton of winnable games on the schedule, and I understand being frustrated after losing a game that should have been a win. But seriously, this board is a craphole after a loss.

IU played well enough to win, and obviously Allen should have kicked an FG up 7-0. There was a terrible no call on PI on Fryfogle. Roughing the passer on Allen was terrible.

There's still a ton of winnable games on the schedule, and I understand being frustrated after losing a game that should have been a win. But seriously, this board is a craphole after a loss.
Well come back next week but after that……. A whole lot of regression going on. Mullen and Fryfogle are not the same players and Penix of course. The best players on this team are the Transfers for the most part and that is concerning. We got one more win and after that we will be lucky to get another. Not being emotional, I said after the Iowa game we had a game to work things out and then we would see what we had. This is it.

Reactions: ekk
Its this simple..You win with a decent or good Q.B...imo.
CTA needs to use the hook..
None of this loss was on coaching...Penix is the handicap now...

Reactions: Dugger-Hoosier

Give me a frigging break. The refs didn't take this game away from us. We shot ourselves in the foot, time and again.

And spare us the "we played well enough to win" nonsense. It's a bottom line business, and the bottom line is we lost. Nothing else matters.

Finally, the Big Ten East looks significantly stronger this year, with Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Maryland much improved. You might be seeing a "ton of winnable games;" I'm seeing a ton of games where we're going to be the underdog.

Our #17 preseason ranking seems like a very long time ago.

Andy, The TA Jr roughing in today’s game is going to be called. You can’t drive the guy down and land on him. The timing was fine, the landing on the QB was not. 15 years ago, it was fine. These days it’s not. Like it or not, ever so quick, McFadden did make contact helmet to face mask.

PI vs Fryfogle? Come on!! How bout Fry catch some balls when needed.

Give me a frigging break. The refs didn't take this game away from us. We shot ourselves in the foot, time and again.

And spare us the "we played well enough to win" nonsense. It's a bottom line business, and the bottom line is we lost. Nothing else matters.

Finally, the Big Ten East looks significantly stronger this year, with Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Maryland much improved. You might be seeing a "ton of winnable games;" I'm seeing a ton of games where we're going to be the underdog.

At what point did I say the refs cost us the game? I generally don't blame the officials. There were crucial calls that cost us opportunities to win.

If you want to be a negative nancy that's fine. All those teams you mentioned look solid, but none them have played anyone as good as Iowa and Cincy. Lone exception is Penn St vs Wisconsin.

I am not asking you to be blindly optimistic, but this negative crap isn't necessary at this point.

Andy, The TA Jr roughing in today’s game is going to be called. You can’t drive the guy down and land on him. The timing was fine, the landing on the QB was not. 15 years ago, it was fine. These days it’s not. Like it or not, ever so quick, McFadden did make contact helmet to face mask.

Agree Fryfogle needs to step up and catch a ball. But when a DB grabs your arm and pulls before the ball gets there, that has to be called.

Penix gave him a great ball and he alligator armed it later in the game. He has to make a catch.

The roughing the passer is probably correct by the rule, which is a stupid rule. The problem is, just like targeting it's incredibly inconsistent how it's enforced. That play happens every week and isn't always called.

I know. I’m not happy but there were lots of reasons we lost today and many of them weren’t on Allen. National coach of the year and media darling last year and now we are dumping all over him. Smh

He was pushed into him.

Reactions: Andy06
No mental toughness. This LEO crap has to go. I want assholes and thugs playing for IU.
We should see you leaving then as thugs don't win games. I want players capable of game winning plays and IU has some just not enough.

Reactions: Andy06
I’m hoping we don’t look back at this season and realize CTA pulled the ol brohmbardi contract fleece on us

The defense had several key penalties (targeting, roughing) that were not blatant poor discipline. The QB kept throwing to the other team, Baldwin fumbles on the goal line when IU is poised to go up…it’s hard to pin these on Tom IMO.

I don’t view him as a top coach, but he obviously 1) can recruit and 2) has pretty much fixed the worst defense in P5 football. Let’s give him some time to work things out. Last I checked, Urban Meyer is not waiting in the wings for the IU coaching job to be vacant.

Before Allen got here, we started every game 40 pts in the hole because everybody knew that was the minimum our defense was ever going to give up to any decent team.

Last edited:
The defense had several key penalties (targeting, roughing) that were not blatant poor discipline. The QB kept throwing to the other team, Baldwin fumbles on the goal line when IU is poised to go up…it’s hard to pin these on Tom IMO.

I don’t view him as a top coach, but he obviously 1) can recruit and 2) has pretty much fixed the worst defense in P5 football. Let’s give him some time to work things out. Last I checked, Urban Meyer is not waiting in the wings for the IU coaching job to be vacant.

Before Allen got here, we started every game 40 pts in the hole because everybody knew that was the minimum our defense was ever going to give up to any decent team.

I like Allen a lot at everything except for game management and what appears to be relying too much on personal relationships. (Debored, Sheridan, the amount of playing time his son received) His game management is absolutely atrocious and we don't need to go anymore in depth than the ludicrous time management and clock situations that rear themselves like clockwork. I'm not watching at the moment, but looks like DeBoer is putting on a clinic tonight. Probably one of the most talented coaches to ever grace the IU sidelines. The dude wins everywhere. Bigly. Allen needs people like DeBoer on the sidelines and not Sheridan or he's going nowhere in the long-term. Rah rah and recruiting only gets you so far if the strategy and tactics is not power 5 level.

Reactions: IUgradman
It's easy to be a arm chair quarterback after everything is said and done, but lets review things shall we....

The first redzone drive we didn't score, we had momentum and were moving the ball well. Our line was bullying their d-line pretty well so it was easy to see why we went for it. I thought Penix rushed the play and didn't look for the hole.

The second redzone play was on Penix. Plain and simple.

The third red zone drive, Baldwin fumbled at the 2.

Outside of the first drive, which I could make a really strong argument for going for it on 4th and 1, I fail to see how Tom Allen is to blame for those blunders. This team needs to step up and play to their abilities and make a play.

I like Allen a lot at everything except for game management and what appears to be relying too much on personal relationships. (Debored, Sheridan, the amount of playing time his son received) His game management is absolutely atrocious and we don't need to go anymore in depth than the ludicrous time management and clock situations that rear themselves like clockwork. I'm not watching at the moment, but looks like DeBoer is putting on a clinic tonight. Probably one of the most talented coaches to ever grace the IU sidelines. The dude wins everywhere. Bigly. Allen needs people like DeBoer on the sidelines and not Sheridan or he's going nowhere in the long-term. Rah rah and recruiting only gets you so far if the strategy and tactics is not power 5 level.
To be clear, I’ve never been sold on CTA as a HC and am a bigger fan of him as a person than as a coach. I’m just trying to look for the positives. He does need talented staff and has done well to this point in finding and hiring talented staff and recruiting talented players. That alone covers many shortcomings.

He’s the anti CKW basically, and what we need is a combination of those two skill sets. That is difficult to find in one man.

Under Allen except for a few games last year the high level trend is to threaten upset and then implode. Yesterday was more of the same… Just sayin….

To be clear, I’ve never been sold on CTA as a HC and am a bigger fan of him as a person than as a coach. I’m just trying to look for the positives. He does need talented staff and has done well to this point in finding and hiring talented staff and recruiting talented players. That alone covers many shortcomings.

He’s the anti CKW basically, and what we need is a combination of those two skill sets. That is difficult to find in one man.
News flash every head coach needs a talented staff.

I'm unfortunately starting to come around on this thought. He's a genuine guy and even a better person who truly cares about his players and that's why so many guys want to play for him, but at the end of the day I'm not so sure he's anything more than a very good defensive coordinator. I love his energy and passion on the sideline but it's something I expect to see out of a coordinator and not the head coach. His defenses at IU take on his personality; fiery and aggressive but I just wonder if CTA is too emotional of a head coach. I do think at times he's lost in the other two aspects of the game (Offense and Special teams) and his game management at times has been all over the place. At some point, all that passion and energy is going to wear off if he continues to get out-coached. Players and future recruits are going to eventually see right through it.

Full record, Tom Allen isn't going anywhere nor does he deserved to be fired. Anyone suggesting or thinking that is lost right now. Still a lot of season left and I think a simple change at QB, at least for the WKU game, can reset the season. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan games are going to be very tough to win as it stands now, but still think the defense is good enough to keep IU in all the other games so long as we get a functioning QB who can manage the game.

Last edited:
Getting rid of Allen would be a terrible decision and they won’t do that. Despite blundering big games (which is the next step to correct), we’ve done things inder Allen that none of the previous 5-6 coaches could do. The worst thing to happen to programs is stability issues. Fans get excited for new names and then realize that unless you are one of the top 5 teams in the country, you have growing pains with a change in direction on coaches.
That said, this team needs to move out the guys who are playing scared. That’s Penix, for starters. Cannot continue with that. It’s crucial it gets done soon.

I much prefer recent results to 2-9 and 1-10 seasons, that I witnessed in ‘74 & ‘75 as a Freshman and Sophomore. After the ‘76 campaign, I was most pleased to see the bucket in a glass case in the IMU lobby. (It stayed put after the ‘78 season).

Coach ‘Laughing‘ Lee Corso was decried as too unserious about results. CLC was actually ahead of the “organizational development — positive thinking approach” that I get to see over and over again, in my career. Just authentically trying to be positive, is an important interpersonal ‘soft skill’.

I am happy to hear CTA has a positive approach: I think it has a longer shelf life. ’Old School’ screamers are a thing of the distant past. We couldn’t buy the kind of publicity, lauded on CTA after the Wisconsin game if we tried. Let’s trust the team still feels the same way this season and will pound the next and the next ‘brick wall’ for 60 minutes. (Character is about wanting to get back up).

P.S. Fisch was the away game routine back then too. Max Gervin makes Buck Sur look like a genius. Let’s do be really careful what we wish for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT