ADVERTISEMENT

All time transfer team

iubirdman

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2016
With the all time team thread going and this being a slow time, had the thought about what an all star team of IU transfers would would look like. There have been many over the years but off the top of my head, I would go with

G Andre Owens--was REALLY good hos last two years at Houston
F Rich Valavicius--Was really good at Auburn after leaving after the 76 title
F Larry BIrd--obvious, even though transfered before ever playing a game
F Marty Simmions--put up huge numbers at Evansville
C John Flowers--HS AA who ended up at UNLV, did not put up great numbers there, but UNLV went 66-11 or something crazy his 2 years

I know there are many others, of course it may makes some of us want to enjoy some adult beverages looking back at what may have been

Funderburke and Recker were on my mind as well. Calloway not far off either, have Collier who was pretty good at Georgia Tech. Reed put up 18 a game at Southern Miss, Delray Brooks was pretty good on a final 4 team at Providence. I am sure there were others in the older days that were really good as welll

Rod Hogdson was a double digit scorer for his career at Rutgers after leaving after a redshirt year, Malcolm Simms as solid at Cleveland State, add Mike Giomi at NC State and there have been a lot of really good ones

Last edited:
Reactions: Fus
Dean Garrett came at the same time as Smart. And enough with the disingenuous Larry Bird nonsense - never played for IU.

OK if we’re going to start talking about incoming players there is a guy who was here not too long ago who had a major impact on Indiana’s program. He could only play one season but it overshadowed the four-year contributions of a number of players. And we rarely see his name mentioned on this board: Max Bielfeldt.

Last edited:
All-transfer out:

G Delray Brooks
G Robert Vaden
G/F Luke Recker
F Rick Calloway
F Lawrence Funderburke

Mike Giomi, Michael Hermon, and Andre Owens first off the bench. Then Collier, Flowers, and maybe Nick Williams off the bench. And Remy Abel. And Joey Shaw.

All-transfer in:

G Keith Smart
G Earl Calloway
F Andre Harris
F Marco Killingsworth
C Dean Garrett

Finally give Harris a chance to play a forward.

Gotta bring Beilfeldt and Rob Turner off the bench. I'd probably pick up Mike White, Jamarcus Ellis, and Lyn Washington.

Larry Bird
Luke Recker
Big John Flowers
Lawrence Funderburke
Jason Collier
Rickey Calloway
Neil Reed
Marty Simmons
Homesick Wisconsin Luke
Crawford
Armon Bassett
Sherron Wilkerson
Delray Brooks

With the all time team thread going and this being a slow time, had the thought about what an all star team of IU transfers would would look like. There have been many over the years but off the top of my head, I would go with

C John Flowers--HS AA who ended up at UNLV, did not put up great numbers there, but UNLV went 66-11 or something crazy his 2 years

I know there are many others, of course it may makes some of us want to enjoy some adult beverages looking back at what may have been

Jason Collier, Lawrence Funderburke, Ricky Calloway, Delray Brooks, Luke Recker,

Malcolm Simms, in December of '92. He played well in the red/white game as the only freshman. Physically ready. 6'4", 205 and a big time scorer out of Ohio. And then he just bolts.

Never understood that one.

Also, Lou Moore. That guy looked like he was going to be a dunking fool out there, and then.... nothing.

Benson made Bird feel very unwelcome. I don't remember the details or the stuff he did, but he basically picked on Bird. So, Kent Benson may have helped win IU a championship, but he may have cost us up to 3 in return.
Yup. He taunted him. Cause of course New Castle natives have it sooooo far over those from French Lick

Reactions: kkott
And enough with the disingenuous Larry Bird nonsense - never played for IU.
Larry Bird signed with IU and was on campus, but never played in a game so, yes, he did transfer to Indiana State after sitting out a year (as a garbage truck attendant in French Lick, IN). The initial post did not specify "those who have played for IU", but merely "transfers". Larry Bird is the all time "what might have been" in the annals of IU basketball lore. There is a photograph in a Nashville, IN sandwich shop, filled with IU basketball memorabilia, and it includes a photo of Bird and Knight together, taken the day Larry signed with IU. I tried to insert a photo I took of this particular photo but I guess it can't be done if it doesn't have an official URL... or something like that.

Reactions: Upset Alert
Benson made Bird feel very unwelcome. I don't remember the details or the stuff he did, but he basically picked on Bird. So, Kent Benson may have helped win IU a championship, but he may have cost us up to 3 in return.
I had always heard that Bird's designated roommate, Jim Wisman, a clean-cut preppie type kid from Illinois with a lot of nice "threads" might have subconsciously made Bird fill out of place. In hindsight, it's easy to point fingers. Has anyone ever asked Larry as to what actually happened to make him change his way of thinking?

It could have been worse....Knight almost took the Wisconsin job instead of IU. Say what you want about Knight, but he was very loyal to IU. Twenty-nine years (begging for thirty) of continuous service in the coaching business is very hard to come by in this day and age of malcontent.

I'd love to see some Peter Jurkin on here...

Larry Bird signed with IU and was on campus, but never played in a game so, yes, he did transfer to Indiana State after sitting out a year (as a garbage truck attendant in French Lick, IN). The initial post did not specify "those who have played for IU", but merely "transfers". Larry Bird is the all time "what might have been" in the annals of IU basketball lore.

You're right. Just seems weird/wrong lumping 'imports' and 'exports' together. Seems two teams would be better - one for those what transferred in, the other for them that left, whether they ever played or not.

G Delray Brooks
G Robert Vaden
G/F Luke Recker
F Ricky Calloway
F Larry Bird

I don't feel like leaving Bird off the list because he did show up on campus. Many others were in the running, but I picked those that would have had a big role with the team. One thought. If Delray Brooks had not transferred, is it possible Keith Smart would not have been recruited? That opens up a lot of questions about the championship season. I expect "the shot" wouldn't have happened..

Because Kent Benson was a jerk..
Benson was part of the story but obviously there was more to it than him. Knight evidently wasn’t very supportive to him and has admitted in the past that he blew it. It sounds like Bird had an awful lot going on in his personal life at the time.

Because Kent Benson was a jerk..
I wasn't alive when Larry Bird played college and only remember a couple of his NBA years but I read a lot about sports history so I read Larry Bird's book. He doesn't mention any issues with any of the team members. They hadn't even officially practiced. He said that he just felt out of place at IU. It was too big for him and he was too small town.

I wasn't alive when Larry Bird played college and only remember a couple of his NBA years but I read a lot about sports history so I read Larry Bird's book. He doesn't mention any issues with any of the team members. They hadn't even officially practiced. He said that he just felt out of place at IU. It was too big for him and he was too small town.
Forget about Jordan and James. Bird is the greatest BB player ever. He did not transfer away. He left before practice started and sat out a year before enrolling at Indiana State.

Reactions: crayfish67
Calloway led Kansas to a national title.............................

No, no he didn't. His one year that he played at Kansas was 89-90 and they lost in the 2nd round, His transfer year he sat out (88-89), they were 19-12 and did not make the tourney (maybe the last time they missed it???). They won the title with Manning in 88 when RC was still in Btown, and advanced to the title game in 91--the year after he left

I had always heard that Bird's designated roommate, Jim Wisman, a clean-cut preppie type kid from Illinois with a lot of nice "threads" might have subconsciously made Bird fill out of place. In hindsight, it's easy to point fingers. Has anyone ever asked Larry as to what actually happened to make him change his way of thinking?

It could have been worse....Knight almost took the Wisconsin job instead of IU. Say what you want about Knight, but he was very loyal to IU. Twenty-nine years (begging for thirty) of continuous service in the coaching business is very hard to come by in this day and age of malcontent.

This is what I had always heard as well...Re Wisman

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT