ADVERTISEMENT

All Time One Year Players

Gooselands

Recruit
Oct 2, 2010
I loved the discussion on the all time players thread and some talk of only played 1, 2 or 3 years. It got me to thinking who are the best players who only played one year at IU. Here is a short list, feel free to add and make your best team.

Eric Gordon
George McGinnis
Noah Vonleh
Max Beifeldt
Lawrence Funderburke
Andre Harris
Story and Williams from Crean's 1st year
John Flowers
Chris Lawson

Reactions: RBB89
I loved the discussion on the all time players thread and some talk of only played 1, 2 or 3 years. It got me to thinking who are the best players who only played one year at IU. Here is a short list, feel free to add and make your best team.

Eric Gordon
George McGinnis
Noah Vonleh
Max Beifeldt
Lawrence Funderburke
Andre Harris
John Flowers
Chris Lawson
this list should begin and end with big george.

Eric Gordon
George McGinnis
Noah Vonleh
Max Beifeldt
Lawrence Funderburke
Andre Harris
John Flowers
Chris Lawson

Dave Shepherd
Antwaan Randle El
John Isenbarger

But George McGinnis is, hands down, the greatest one-year player at IU. Averaged just under 30 ppg and 13-14 rebounds, I believe.

Last edited:

Eric Gordon
George McGinnis
Noah Vonleh
Max Beifeldt
Lawrence Funderburke
Andre Harris
John Flowers
Chris Lawson
There should be a list with only McGinnis on it, and then a list for everyone else. MCGinnis averaged 29.9 pts and 14.7 rebounds per game, leading the Big Ten in both categories.

Let me digress for a moment.... the closest player to NEVER play for IU...Larry Bird. We'll never know just how much that one hurt and it's probably just as well.

Eric Gordon
George McGinnis
Noah Vonleh
Max Beifeldt
Lawrence Funderburke
Andre Harris
John Flowers
Chris Lawson
What was the story on Story and Williams? Why did they only play 1 year. I dont mean to open old wounds but I honestly dont remember or never heard. Did they get Creaned or just didnt want to be part of the long rebuild?

Eric Gordon
George McGinnis
Noah Vonleh
Max Beifeldt
Lawrence Funderburke
Andre Harris
John Flowers
Chris Lawson
What was the name of the kid that played at Elkhart and left IU for Providence?Also Bobby Capiabanco too.Luke Fischer.Delray Brooks was the kid's name.

Last edited:
Thats considered on the all time list? .....

Good grief. Next time I'll add the TIC

Thought it was obvious, given the inclusion of Dave Shepherd and John Isenbarger, the latter who played very, very briefly on the basketball team.

Let me digress for a moment.... the closest player to NEVER play for IU...Larry Bird. We'll never know just how much that one hurt and it's probably just as well.
I believe you forgot about Ivan Renko, clearly the absolute greatest that never played for IU, given the "special circumstances" of his recruitment.

But if you're talking about player/prospects who had more noticeable heartbeats, then I'd throw in Josh Smith and Trey Lyles in addition to Bird.

Reactions: abraxis
I believe you forgot about Ivan Renko, clearly the absolute greatest that never played for IU, given the "special circumstances" of his recruitment.

But if you're talking about player/prospects who had more noticeable heartbeats, then I'd throw in Josh Smith and Trey Lyles in addition to Bird.

I saw Renko play once... he was overrated and IU dodged a bullet when he didn't show up in Btown.

Think the one-year that could have been great but, probably, never progressed because he did not have Knight to coach him was Derek Holcomb. Had a big double-double his last game at IU, and, then. transferred to Illinois, where he did very little.

What was the name of the kid that played at Elkhart and left IU for Providence?Also Bobby Capiabanco too.Luke Fischer.Delray Brooks was the kid's name.

iirc, Delrey Brooks was from Michigan City.

who was the kid from Louisville maybe, late mid 70s, who left quick going off on RMK, because he refused to be treated like RMK treated people.

Steve ? from Terre Haute.

looked like a future great in the Coke Classic recruits game that Bobby Copabianco also played in. crazy hops.

in the never suited up as a varsity player dept, there was a black kid named Bender in the Van Arsdale's freshman class.

looked like a star in the fresh-varsity game that yr.

iirc, Delrey Brooks was from Michigan City.

who was the kid from Louisville maybe, late mid 70s, who left quick going off on RMK, because he refused to be treated like RMK treated people.
i don't remember anyone like that. you may be thinking of rich valavicius from hammond. i remember him saying basketball will destroy knight.

Twaan:

LARGE

Big George:

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

Uniform:

LARGE

i don't remember anyone like that. you may be thinking of rich valavicius from hammond. i remember him saying basketball will destroy knight.
Wasn't it Rich Valavicius who said he would run through a brick wall for Knight? He must have said my quote first, then yours. Whoever it was transferred shortly thereafter.

Another one was Mike Miday from Ohio. I don't remember how long he stuck around, only that he is one of the easily forgotten ones and I was lucky I just now remembered him because I hadn't thought of him since the day he transferred. I found him stored in my brain under the mental file "Good Riddance". I'm sure he turned into a fine young man, but from an IU basketball fan's perspective back then, he didn't have what it takes in the Assembly Hall Dept.

AJ Ratliff certainly needs to be in the conversation. I'm not sure what was up with that Mr. Basketball that never panned out. Was his head not in the game?

Wasn't it Rich Valavicius who said he would run through a brick wall for Knight? He must have said my quote first, then yours. Whoever it was transferred shortly thereafter.

Another one was Mike Miday from Ohio. I don't remember how long he stuck around, only that he is one of the easily forgotten ones and I was lucky I just now remembered him because I hadn't thought of him since the day he transferred. I found him stored in my brain under the mental file "Good Riddance". I'm sure he turned into a fine young man, but from an IU basketball fan's perspective back then, he didn't have what it takes in the Assembly Hall Dept.

AJ Ratliff certainly needs to be in the conversation. I'm not sure what was up with that Mr. Basketball that never panned out. Was his head not in the game?

Mike Miday i believe is who i was thinking about.

don't remember ever even seeing him play, but iirc he left quick and didn't have good things to say about Knight..

Steve ? from Terre Haute.

looked like a future great in the Coke Classic recruits game that Bobby Copabianco also played in. crazy hops.
Steve Hart is who I believe you're thinking of. He was very athletic. I don't remember where he went or how he did after he left the Hoosiers.

Edit: It appears he transferred to ISU. For his first season there his numbers look similar to his time at IU but then it looks like he had a really good senior season averaging just under 13 ppg.

Wait, where you saying he played in the same game as Bobby C? That would be a different Steve from Terre Haute because Hart was early or mid 90's.

Last edited:
Steve Hart is who I believe you're thinking of. He was very athletic. I don't remember where he went or how he did after he left the Hoosiers.

Edit: It appears he transferred to ISU. For his first season there his numbers look similar to his time at IU but then it looks like he had a really good senior season averaging just under 13 ppg.

Wait, where you saying he played in the same game as Bobby C? That would be a different Steve from Terre Haute because Hart was early or mid 90's.

yes, Steve Hart.

he was in the same class Bobby C would have been, along with R Eggers and Mandeville.

they had a Coke Classic recruits/HS all star game at AH, and Hart looked like a world beater that day. (Evan Eschmeyer who went to NW was there as well iirc).

did Bobby C ever suit up for IU?

What Bobby C are we referring to? Only one I remember was Capabionco who ended up at Valpo but that was just a few years ago

Reactions: minneman
yes, Steve Hart.

he was in the same class Bobby C would have been, along with R Eggers and Mandeville.

they had a Coke Classic recruits/HS all star game at AH, and Hart looked like a world beater that day. (Evan Eschmeyer who went to NW was there as well iirc).

did Bobby C ever suit up for IU?
The only Bobby C I remember was at the beginning of the Crean era. Was there a player of the same name before that that committed to IU?

What Bobby C are we referring to? Only one I remember was Capabionco who ended up at Valpo but that was just a few years ago

ok, brain fart, i'm thinking of someone else

same class as Hart and Eggers and Mandeville, Italian name iirc, started with an M i think.

Marchioni or something.

did he ever suit up for IU?

Last edited:

same class as Hart and Eggers and Mandeville, Italian name iirc, started with an M i think.

Marchioni or something.

Marchioni or something.

Monte Marcaccini

Reactions: minneman
Bobby C suited up for IU many times. Go youtube the infamous Tom Pritchard dunk. Watch poor Bobby look like a deer in headlights during that play...was the only person in the house that didn't know what just happened when the crowed exploded. Also enjoy Buckner lose his head and start speaking in tongues trying to add color to the play after it happened.

I think the Steve who played with Bobby C who won the dunk contest was walk on Steven Gambles. He was about the same height as Steve Hart but not even close to the jumping ability.
I recall he played at least a year and a half before flunking out. Might have been 2 full seasons. I remember the game where he blocked Michael Finley for a three point attempt at the buzzer to preserve IU's dominance over the Badgers. Finley was 3 inches taller and a heck of an athlete and Hart just flat rejected him at the top of his release.

ADVERTISEMENT