ADVERTISEMENT

All-TIme Indiana Basketball Starting 5 (link)

shooting guard? I'd take Alford over Guyton all day!
Just my humble opinion here but I would no doubt take Alford over Guyton. I like Guyton a lot but in addition to Alford, I would also take Jay Edwards, Eric Gordon, Damon Bailey, Victor Oladipo, Randy Wittman, and would have to give strong consideration to Greg Graham.
It is fun to debate as they are all terrific players.

5: Bellamy
4: Schlundt
3: Cheaney
2: Oladipo
1: Thomas

All positions other than the 2 seem fairly obvious. For the 2 I looked for a player that could shoot, run, rebound and play defense. The defense piece threw a black cloud over Rayl, Alford, Guyton. I think my second choice might be Wittman. Bailey is also merits consideration.

Reactions: JIMSHAM

All positions other than the 2 seem fairly obvious. For the 2 I looked for a player that could shoot, run, rebound and play defense. The defense piece threw a black cloud over Rayl, Alford, Guyton. I think my second choice might be Wittman. Bailey is also merits consideration.
I never saw Schlundt play. Way before my time. Was he better than McGinnis?

I know Alford gets knocked fir his D, but remember he did have the career steals record when he graduated and is still 2nd behind Fife. Obviously would be 3rd had Vic played his last year.

I get that steals are not the end all be all measure of a great defender, but he was a decent defender within the system

Thomas
Alford
Cheaney
May
Bellamy

Alford would have scored 24 points with Victor guarding him.

Last edited:
Thomas
Alford
Cheaney
May
Bellamy

Like this list, but though to leave Big George and Buckner off the list. However, if you put them in for Alford and then May or Bellamy you look at the list and say great list but tough to keep Alford and either May or Bellamy off!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Thomas
Alford
Cheaney
May
Bellamy

That team would be very hard to beat. Since I have never seen a Bellamy play I probably would replace him with Benson, but we had the same starters otherwise.

That team would be very hard to beat. Since I have never seen a Bellamy play I probably would replace him with Benson, but we had the same starters otherwise.
I did and no you don't want to change them. Most of my memory of Bellamy is as a pro but in my opinion he was far superior to Benson. That being said I would have no problem going to war with Benson because he was pretty darn good!

I did and no you don't want to change them. Most of my memory of Bellamy is as a pro but in my opinion he was far superior to Benson. That being said I would have no problem going to war with Benson because he was pretty darn good!
Any all time team would have a strong bench and one of the two would be there.

I never saw Schlundt play. Way before my time. Was he better than McGinnis?
Statistically, no one put up a single season like McGinnis. He doesn't make most people's list because a) it was a long time ago and many never saw him play, and b) he only played one season.

But in that one season, he averaged 30 and 15. Those are national POY numbers. If he had played 4 seasons at IU, he would have been IU (and the B1G) all time career leader in points and rebounds, and would have been a 4 time first team AA and multi-yr national POY. IU even has a legit shot of derailing UCLA in 1973 FF and RMK gets his first banner. Would have loved seeing George go up against the big red head from UCLA.

In the IN/KY high school all star game, he scored 53 and 30 rebounds. Let that sink in. Man among boys. Bob Hammel stated that he had never seen an 18 yr old so physically developed and skilled as George, and never did again until Lebron.

Last edited:
Reactions: mktmaker and kkott
Statistically, no one put up a single season like McGinnis. He doesn't make most people's list because a) it was a long time ago and many never saw him play, and b) he only played one season.

But in that one season, he averaged 30 and 15. Those are national POY numbers. If he had played 4 seasons at IU, he would have been IU (and the B1G) all time career leader in points and rebounds, and would have been a 4 time first team AA and multi-yr national POY. IU even has a legit shot of derailing UCLA in 1973 FF and RMK gets his first banner. Would have loved seeing George go up against the big red head from UCLA.

In the IN/KY high school all star game, he scored 53 and 30 rebounds. Let that sink in. Man among boys. Bob Hammel stated that he had never seen an 18 yr old so physically developed and skilled as George, and never did again until Lebron.
I agree, I saw the stats on George. Heck, even his pro stats were darn impressive. It would have been very interesting had he stuck around all 4 years at IU. I tried this past weekend to find footage of him playing at IU but no luck.
I was curious if we had anyone who was around to see both him and Schlundt play that could compare them. Schlundt put up some amazing numbers as well.
My guess is that George was better.

3 time. At the time freshmen didn't play so his single season was his sophomore year.

Scott May was the two time Big Ten MVP and 1975-76 National Player of the Year. In his three seasons at IU, he was the best player each year on teams that went 86-6, won three Big Ten championships (going undefeated in two of those seasons), and the last undefeated national champion. May would be on any top five IU basketball team.

Scott May was the two time Big Ten MVP and 1975-76 National Player of the Year. In his three seasons at IU, he was the best player each year on teams that went 86-6, won three Big Ten championships (going undefeated in two of those seasons), and the last undefeated national champion. May would be on any top five IU basketball team.
agree..as much as I love Olidipo as a player and a person, I can't see a case made for Vic to be on this list and Scott May not be on the list. May's career accomplishments at IU are second to none. You could make a case that Cody had a bigger impact, and bigger numbers, during his 2 yrs at IU, versus VIc, and yet Cody's name isn't appearing on anyone's list. And as much as I loved Cody as a player, his career pales in comparison to Benson. And Benson's numbers, while very good, are thin compared to Bellamy. Walt may have been the greatest rebounder in B1G history. He still holds the school record for most rebounds and most career double doubles (57..think about that...3 seasons, averaged almost 20 double doubles a season).

IU has a long list of great players. Any 'top 5' list is going to cause some debate.

Last edited:
Bellamy
McGinnis
Schlundt
May
Thomas

Just my opinion....very difficult keeping the B1G all time leading scorers (Calbert and Alford) off the list. But I'm convinced the starting 5 above could go through 4 seasons undefeated and probably grab every rebound in every game.

Alford & Benson for more accomplished college players and national champs...

Reactions: kkott
Alford & Benson for more accomplished college players and national champs...

Are we talking about who was the best player overall or who was the best college player? Like what if a Duke fan puts Zion over Laetnner?

Bellamy
McGinnis
Schlundt
May
Thomas

Just my opinion....very difficult keeping the B1G all time leading scorers (Calbert and Alford) off the list. But I'm convinced the starting 5 above could go through 4 seasons undefeated and probably grab every rebound in every game.

Teams would need to shoot 2 balls for this team to rebound to it's capability. Has anyone said:

Bellamy
McGinnis
Cheaney
Alford
Thomas

Always going to be leaving great players left off the list. May, Woodson, Buckner, Benson, Schlundt, Van Arsdales, Rayl, Edwards... lots that you can argue for. I think had he stayed for another year or 2, Gordon would be on a lot of folks lists.

Teams would need to shoot 2 balls for this team to rebound to it's capability. Has anyone said:

Bellamy
McGinnis
Cheaney
Alford
Thomas

Always going to be leaving great players left off the list. May, Woodson, Buckner, Benson, Schlundt, Van Arsdales, Rayl, Edwards... lots that you can argue for. I think had he stayed for another year or 2, Gordon would be on a lot of folks lists.
I probably give too much credit to rebounding but I played HS ball just before the IHSAA added the 3 pt shot. My high school coached stressed rebounding, almost to the point of it being a testament to your manhood. "it's where you separate the men from the boys" he would say. The FT lane was a battle zone and not for the soft bodied or soft minded. With the 3pt shot (and shot clock at the NCAA level), it's bombs away now and a different game completely.

And yes, I felt guilty keeping Calbert and Alford off my list. they played while I was in college and they are two of my favorite. Agreed on Gordon. If George had played all 3 yrs he may be considered the greatest Hoosier ever. His dad was killed in a construction accident his senior yr in high school, and he went the hardship route after his one yr at IU to make money for his mom/family. Being a one and done back then was not a routine matter. Extremely rare.

Are we talking about who was the best player overall or who was the best college player? Like what if a Duke fan puts Zion over Laetnner?

Think that's part of what creates so much arguing. For me, I'm basing it on what they did at IU, but even then do you give more creedence to someone who played 4 years, or won an NC? Those are the factors I'm balancing though, and not pro play or potential.

Think that's part of what creates so much arguing. For me, I'm basing it on what they did at IU, but even then do you give more creedence to someone who played 4 years, or won an NC? Those are the factors I'm balancing though, and not pro play or potential.

Also, do we consider who the coach was? I think there's a case to be made for Cody if a 1980s RMK had been his coach vs the clapper. He probably shouldn't be penalized just because his moronic coach couldn't attack a zone.

Also, do we consider who the coach was? I think there's a case to be made for Cody if a 1980s RMK had been his coach vs the clapper. He probably shouldn't be penalized just because his moronic coach couldn't attack a zone.

I wouldn't. That's way too much projection. I think Cody would have been a better player under RMK, but we're not talking fantasy stuff, actual results, one way or the other. That would be like me saying what if I imagined that Gordon, Henderson or May weren't injured, or Turner for that matter.

I probably give too much credit to rebounding but I played HS ball just before the IHSAA added the 3 pt shot. My high school coached stressed rebounding, almost to the point of it being a testament to your manhood. "it's where you separate the men from the boys" he would say. The FT lane was a battle zone and not for the soft bodied or soft minded. With the 3pt shot (and shot clock at the NCAA level), it's bombs away now and a different game completely.

And yes, I felt guilty keeping Calbert and Alford off my list. they played while I was in college and they are two of my favorite. Agreed on Gordon. If George had played all 3 yrs he may be considered the greatest Hoosier ever. His dad was killed in a construction accident his senior yr in high school, and he went the hardship route after his one yr at IU to make money for his mom/family. Being a one and done back then was not a routine matter. Extremely rare.

I always like D and rebounding. Did you ever read the SI article about Rodman on rebounding? It was eye opening when I read it. I tried to balance my list with Alford and Cheaney providing shooting and scoring, but Woodson might make that a better team at either position. Here's the Rodman article, good stuff:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/03/...s-rodman-of-chicago-rules-over-nba-rebounders

IIRC Knight suggested playing the national championship team in international play, rather than an all star team. It’s an interesting notion. I’m guessing that either the 75 team or 76 team would be able to be beat a collection of players from different years. Yes, I understand that a common backcourt listed here (Alford/Thomas ), each played for coach, but they obviously never played together.

The Cheaney team also won a ton of games, and I’d put that team (healthy) up against any fantasy collection of players. They’d hold their own, IMHO.

I agree with this list except I'd have McGinnis over Schlundt. As a sophomore averaged 30 and 15 (freshmen weren't eligible for varsity).

One of the things I noticed in the lists is that many people Underrate Buckner. I was on Campus and saw the 1974-75 and 1975-76 Teams. He was never big statistically but he was the one guy on the floor who made everyone else better, because he knew the offense and when to get the ball to teammates in perfect situations, and how to set and run the Defense. I have often said that Buckner was the guy who was the perfect Buffer between Knight and the team. Rather than go after the other Players to get their attention and correct things, he could give Buckner the message have him convey it, and nobody got hurt.

Thomas was flashier player, more spectacular scorer and ball handler, but he wasn't the Defender, Rebounder, or overall Leader that Buckner was.

One of the things I noticed in the lists is that many people Underrate Buckner. I was on Campus and saw the 1974-75 and 1975-76 Teams. He was never big statistically but he was the one guy on the floor who made everyone else better, because he knew the offense and when to get the ball to teammates in perfect situations, and how to set and run the Defense. I have often said that Buckner was the guy who was the perfect Buffer between Knight and the team. Rather than go after the other Players to get their attention and correct things, he could give Buckner the message have him convey it, and nobody got hurt.

Thomas was flashier player, more spectacular scorer and ball handler, but he wasn't the Defender, Rebounder, or overall Leader that Buckner was.
Well, there is this: he put IU on his back and dominated crunch time to lead the team to the 1981 NCAA national championship against a very good North Carolina team. I've never seen another IU player take over as thoroughly as he did on such a big stage.

Reactions: jet812 and kkott
Benson
McGinnis
May
Alford
Isiah

Bellamy
Cody Zeller/Henderson
Cheaney
Jay Edwards
Bobby Wilkerson