ADVERTISEMENT

All time Hoosiers NFL (offense)

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
With start of NFL season, it’s fun to reflect on who your all time Hoosiers NFL team would be (offense). This based on having successful NFL careers. My team:

QB - Trent Green
RB - George Taliafaro
RB - Tom Nowatzke
WR- Pete Pihos
WR- Earl Faison
WR- Antwan Randel El
OL - Bob Skoronski
OL - Doug Crusan
OL - Dan Feeney
OL - Roger Saffold
OL - Kris Dielman

Your team? Go Hoosiers

With start of NFL season, it’s fun to reflect on who your all time Hoosiers NFL team would be (offense). This based on having successful NFL careers. My team:

QB - Trent Green
RB - George Taliafaro
RB - Tom Nowatzke
WR- Pete Pihos
WR- Earl Faison
WR- Antwan Randel El
OL - Bob Skoronski
OL - Doug Crusan
OL - Dan Feeney
OL - Roger Saffold
OL - Kris Dielman

Your team? Go Hoosiers

It's tough because I can't go back that far. I will say, we've had a pretty decent NFL run since Hep (and especially Wilson) got here.

I can't disagree at all about your selections. One of the offensive linemen would have to be instructed on the center position. Some honorable mentions would be Frank Filchock at QB, Terry Cole at RB, Bill Malinchak at receiver and Ted Karras as linemen.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Actually, you could move Malinchak into the WR position. Then you could shift Faison to defense, where he starred for the San Diego Chargers. Other offensive players I should have listed are running backs Anthony Thompson, Gene Gedman and Bob Hoernschemeyer. The last was an all around player in the AAFC and NFL as a passer, runner and receiver.

The defense may be a little harder to find. I would suggest linebackers Van Waiters and Jim Sniadecki. The defensive back has some good candidates in Nate Ramsey, Marv Woodson, Dave Whitsell and Tracy Porter, plus CFL standout Larry Highbaugh and his grandson, Tre Roberson. The kickers could be Pete Stoyanovich for field goals and Dan Stryzinski for punting.

Reactions: jsenleo
Can't put AT in there for NFL career. Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard have had significantly more productive NFL careers so far.

I had to go to Pro Football Reference to check too. We're heavy on the old-timers holding it down in the NFL.

I can't disagree at all about your selections. One of the offensive linemen would have to be instructed on the center position. Some honorable mentions would be Frank Filchock at QB, Terry Cole at RB, Bill Malinchak at receiver and Ted Karras as linemen.

Good thoughts, thank you.

Actually, you could move Malinchak into the WR position. Then you could shift Faison to defense, where he starred for the San Diego Chargers. Other offensive players I should have listed are running backs Anthony Thompson, Gene Gedman and Bob Hoernschemeyer. The last was an all around player in the AAFC and NFL as a passer, runner and receiver.

The defense may be a little harder to find. I would suggest linebackers Van Waiters and Jim Sniadecki. The defensive back has some good candidates in Nate Ramsey, Marv Woodson, Dave Whitsell and Tracy Porter, plus CFL standout Larry Highbaugh and his grandson, Tre Roberson. The kickers could be Pete Stoyanovich for field goals and Dan Stryzinski for punting.

Love AT, one of the greatest Hoosiers ever. This team was selected for NFL accomplishment, and for whatever reason AT’s NFL. career was short and nothing special. He’d for sure be on my all time IU team though. Thanks!

Agree that much more challenging of defense. IU’s had some great defensive players through the years, but not many with stellar NFL careers. Sniadecki and Tracy Porter are top of mind for me. Thanks!

QB - Trent Green
RB - George Taliafaro
RB - Tom Nowatzke
WR- Pete Pihos
WR- Earl Faison
WR- Antwan Randel El
OL - Bob Skoronski
OL - Doug Crusan
OL - Dan Feeney
OL - Roger Saffold
OL - Kris Dielman

Your team? Go Hoosiers
Earl Faison was a defensive lineman.

QB - Trent Green
RB - George Taliafaro
RB - Tom Nowatzke
WR- Pete Pihos
WR- Earl Faison
WR- Antwan Randel El
OL - Bob Skoronski
OL - Doug Crusan
OL - Dan Feeney
OL - Roger Saffold
OL - Kris Dielman

Your team? Go Hoosiers
Pete Pihos is a guy a lot of people don't know a lot about. Member of the 1945 Big Ten Championship Team, and a 9 or 10 year NFL Career with the Eagles. Member of both College and Pro Football Hall of Fame. Played on some great Eagles teams in late 40's and early 50's . If memory serves, he played both Fullback and Tight End at Different Times in his pro Career. I think he led the NFL in receptions at least once, and finished his career with 60 plus touchdowns which was a big career number in that Era. I believe he spent the first few years of his career as a Fullback in a Backfield that included Hall of Fame Halfback Steve Van Buren.

Ernie Jones was a very solid receiver back in late 80s

If I was picking an all IU team from last 50 years, Ernie Jones would be my #1 receiver. He had a fair NFL career, but was an outstanding college player. Thanks and Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
You could make an argument for Marcus Thigpen as kick returner . . . he was pretty good for Miami for a number of years.

Marcus had a surprisingly good career as a kickoff/punt returner. Interesting to compare his stats with ARE’s:

Kickoff returns
Thigpen 23.6 ave yards, 1 TD
ARE 23.3 ave yards, 1 TD

Punt returns
Thigpen 9.7 ave yards, 1 TD
ARE 8.2 ave yards, 5 TDs

Reactions: Sope Creek
If I remember correctly, Vaughn Dunbar got off to a pretty good start until he wrecked his knee. I could be wrong. I seem to remember him playing in the original XFL too.

Reactions: ulrey
If I remember correctly, Vaughn Dunbar got off to a pretty good start until he wrecked his knee. I could be wrong. I seem to remember him playing in the original XFL too.

VD only played 4 seasons in NFL. 39 games, 935 yards, 5 TDS. I think you are right about the knee injury. I can recall thinking who could possibly replace AT after his 4 amazing years at IU. Well, VD did a great job. He’s my 3rd all time favorite IU running back (modern day) behind AT and Tevin Coleman. Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT