ADVERTISEMENT

All Hail Mike Kreffel, alias "Kref"

Julie..........Thanks for your posts.

I have to say I was a bit freaked out when I saw that "Kref" was posting. I thought maybe the man upstairs gave him the key to the Internet room in Heaven.

God bless your dad. I talked to him a couple of times on the phone and he was as nice of a gentleman as I have ever met. This is truly a sad day for me.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Re: Mike was perhaps my best friend I've met via the forums.

Ditto.

Mike spoke of you often. He valued his friendship with you, and with others in the Peegs and Haven communities. We lost a true friend, today.

A wise man once told me that the worst part of growing old was watching your friends die.

Thank you, Julie.

I will miss your father greatly. We'd usually talk several times during a basketball game, especially if it was an important game or one of us had noticed something we thought was significant. It got so, the phone would ring while I was watching a game, and my wife wouldn't answer it. She'd say, "You get it. It's gotta be Kref."

Thank you for sharing some of your memories.

I just logged on for the first time today.

And am totally blown away by this news. I've known Mike since back in the old StarNews forum days. He was a great person and as many have mentioned, a good friend of many. My prayers go out to him and his family. I didn't even know that he was sick. Mike, be sure to give Steve McQueen one of those famous grins.

I will really miss Kref.....

he was one of those posters that you made sure you read when he posted. Funny, intelligent and sincere.

I just found out this morning....

I met Kref several times. He and I would sit and talk at length at tailgates, and we exchanged e-mails often. I hadn't heard from in in a while. Very, very sad. I liked Kref.

RIP.

Mike is the only person

From any message board that I have ever met in person. He was from the same area of Indy (Haughville) as my dad. After a few e-mail exchanges and a couple of phone calls, he invited me to the St Anthony festival one year and introduced me to a bunch of people that knew my family. I continued to e-mail him and was curious why I had not gotten a response the last time. He was extremely easy to talk to and a very interesting guy. I will miss talking to him.

I hate to hear that.

I just looked at his picture yesterday when NFA linked the photo page. I wish I had gotten a chance to meet him. He was one of the really entertaining guys around here.

I was thinking yesterday when I saw his picture that I hadn't seen him around in a while.

I know our loss on this forum means nothing compared to the loss felt by his family and friends but we definitely lost one of the founding fathers.

RIP Kref.

Loved his late night posts and swapped a lot of emails in the past.

Kref was an outstanding cartoonist!

was able to talk about cartooning a few times with Kref and he sent me some of the things that he had published at one time or another via e-mail. He was very nice and would answer any questions I had about cartooning or the business.

Prayers to his family and may God be with them.

Reactions: EricaLooney
Re: Wow, am I sorry to hear that.

Hi this is Julie, his daughter. Last spring was a bad time for him. As far as we know he was not yet ill but was taking care of my grandfather who he had living with him at the time. To say the least, my grandfather took a lot of my dad's time and energy not to mention a lot of patience. Thank you for your post. I'm loving hearing about the kind things everyone has to say about him. I've never met a person who didn't like him. Ever.

Many of us still pay respects to your dad, Julie.

After reading these old posts about Kref, and looking again at the old pics, this song came to mind for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT