ADVERTISEMENT

All Decade: 1960-1969

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
https://247sports.com/college/india...-All-Decade-Team-1960s-147203201/#147203201_1

I'm amazed at how familiar I am with the players through the VanArsdales - McGlocklin era and how unfamiliar I am with the players that came later in the 1960's.

Look at the first team roster. With all the talent could that team really play without a point guard?

I watched the Van Arsdales - McGlocklin team lose to Loyola at Chicago Stadium in 1963. The first one down the floor played center; the second one lined up at #4; the last one down the floor played the #3.

I never had a chance to see Walt Bellamy play for IU, but I did watch a good deal of his pro career. What was striking was how inconsistent he could be, with stretches of a week or two of greatness, followed by a massive reduction in his production. Maybe he was also that way at IU, since I looked at past box scores and found games where he would only score in single digits. I used to work with someone who met Bellamy when Walt was wanting to buy a pop. He asked for a "loan" to purchase it.

I thought Max Walker might have been considered a little higher. Growing up in Wisconsin, I remember him playing on those great Milwaukee Lincoln Teams in the early 1960's. Lincoln was Milwaukee's equivalent of Indianapolis Crispus Attucks. Inner City School with 99.99% Black Enrollment and a spurt of several years of great Basketball Teams in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

I thought Max Walker might have been considered a little higher. Growing up in Wisconsin, I remember him playing on those great Milwaukee Lincoln Teams in the early 1960's. Lincoln was Milwaukee's equivalent of Indianapolis Crispus Attucks. Inner City School with 99.99% Black Enrollment and a spurt of several years of great Basketball Teams in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

maybe when IU comes out with an all lefty team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT