NW 3
PSU 3
Maryland 3
OSU 2
MN 2
Purdue 1 (Bailey)
Nebraska 1
IU, ILL, RU 0

Crawford & Ball were HM......Logan Justus was 2nd team PK....congrats to him.

They'll announce the offensive team tonight. I don't think we get anyone on the first 2 teams. Do Scott or Timian make 3rd team? Anyone else? Don't think so, but we'll see.

Bet Westbrook might and possibly Martin.

To those who didn't see......no Hoosiers on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ABT offensive team. Knight, Hale, Scott & Martin made HM. Ball & Crawford were HM on D, Justus was 2nd team P.K.

I went back & looked at recent years. For 2014-17 the following guys made 1st or 2nd ABT on either the coaches or media teams, or both:

2014--Coleman
2015--Howard, Feeney, Spriggs
2016--Feeney, Scales, Fant
2017--Cobbs, Scales, Fant

So, to a certain extent, I think IU football 2015-2018 can be summarized as:

2015-2017.......stars, but not enough depth
2018.......depth, but not enough stars

Going forward, we have young guys like Ball, Penix, Whop, Scott, Matthews, Fitzgerald, McFadden that could end up as ABT players..............also, not giving up on Hale & Westbrook developing into difference makers.

To those who didn't see......no Hoosiers on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ABT offensive team. Knight, Hale, Scott & Martin made HM. Ball & Crawford were HM on D, Justus was 2nd team P.K.

I went back & looked at recent years. For 2014-17 the following guys made 1st or 2nd ABT on either the coaches or media teams, or both:

2014--Coleman
2015--Howard, Feeney, Spriggs
2016--Feeney, Scales, Fant
2017--Cobbs, Scales, Fant

So, to a certain extent, I think IU football 2015-2018 can be summarized as:

2015-2017.......stars, but not enough depth
2018.......depth, but not enough stars

Going forward, we have young guys like Ball, Penix, Whop, Scott, Matthews, Fitzgerald, McFadden that could end up as ABT players..............also, not giving up on Hale & Westbrook developing into difference makers.

Good, fair assessment. I think the talent of this year's FR class and I believe the 2019 final recruiting class will have ABT level talent potential more so than in year's past. And let's face it, win just a few more games and someone making 1/2/3 team much more likely.

Penix could make Westbrook/Hale senior season's very productive. Scott is coming off 1,000 yard season and S. James could be incredible 1-2 RB punch. I think the IU DB's from this year who were FR/RSFR will be a force over next 3 years. Some really good talent there and some more coming in this next class too.

Depth has always been needed for B10 play. I believe IU is building that on a level that can truly compete & win. Now the young talent - and it's hard for FR to dominate in B10 - can start growing into the players who can also be ABT players in the future as well.

I honestly don’t think Hale comes back and there’s a risk Westbrook doesn’t either. I think that those are two ABT guys in the future, but I can easily see them going the route of Cobbs, and I think they’re better than Cobbs was. Why would they leave early? Injuries and uncertainty at QB. Same reasons I think Cobbs left early.

I honestly don’t think Hale comes back and there’s a risk Westbrook doesn’t either. I think that those are two ABT guys in the future, but I can easily see them going the route of Cobbs, and I think they’re better than Cobbs was. Why would they leave early? Injuries and uncertainty at QB. Same reasons I think Cobbs left early.
They're getting BAD advice if they don't come back and work to have stellar senior seasons. They're talented players, but certainly not ready for the NFL.

I look back to Cody Latimer and Kofi Hughes. Latimer was a fantastic WR as was Hughes. Hughes never even made it in the NFL. Cody certainly has but he's a BIG talent. Cobbs never was consistent like those two guys. They made circus catches in their careers. Go back and watch the IU victory over Penn State, talk about catching the football!

Until I hear differently I bet Hale/Westbrook come back. Neither killed it this season and both have to know Penix can air it out. Come back for big senior year’s and they could put some real money in their pockets.

Reactions: td75

They are both better than Cobbs? Lol. That's not even a discussion. They aren't close. Hale and Westbrook would be more likely to get on The Great British Baking Show than sign as free agents with as NFL team. They are going nowhere unless they give up football.

Until I hear differently I bet Hale/Westbrook come back. Neither killed it this season and both have to know Penix can air it out. Come back for big senior year’s and they could put some real money in their pockets.

You are pinning an awful lot of hope onto a (now) redshirt Freshman QB coming off a major non-contact knee injury, who had a lower completion percentage and the same yards per throw, with 400+ fewer attempts as the current starter.

It's not even guaranteed he beats out Ramsey for the #1 spot next year.

I'm not denying his abilities, but I wonder if he can come back the same player.

Reactions: snarlcakes
They're getting BAD advice if they don't come back and work to have stellar senior seasons. They're talented players, but certainly not ready for the NFL.

I look back to Cody Latimer and Kofi Hughes. Latimer was a fantastic WR as was Hughes. Hughes never even made it in the NFL. Cody certainly has but he's a BIG talent. Cobbs never was consistent like those two guys. They made circus catches in their careers. Go back and watch the IU victory over Penn State, talk about catching the football!
Yeah, but Cobbs used similar logic to what these two might use. Latimer and Hughes never had severe injuries like Cobbs, Hale and Westbrook. Ultimately I think that Cobbs was less ready than those two (lack of speed, insanely high drop rate), but he ultimately decided it wasn’t worth the risk of getting hurt.

They are both better than Cobbs? Lol. That's not even a discussion. They aren't close. Hale and Westbrook would be more likely to get on The Great British Baking Show than sign as free agents with as NFL team. They are going nowhere unless they give up football.
I disagree. Cobbs had one of the highest drop rates in college football, and then ran like a 4.6-4.7. He’s still a good wideout. He’s still on the redskins practice squad and had a solid preason. But those guys are faster and have more dependable hands. Hale is the best of all three due to his size, speed and hands. The guys almost big enough to be a TE and has a much lower drop rate.

Reactions: DANC and td75

From the horse's mouth, Kofi never wanted to play in the NFL.

I told him I was surprised he didn't make an NFL team, and that was his response - that he wasn't interested in playing pro ball.

I believe him, because I thought he would definitely make a team somewhere. He had an amazing Senior season of circus catches.

Reactions: ESalum86 and td75
They both could go to other schools as grad transfers, assuming they have the credits.

If we can't get a QB to get the ball to them more, I wouldn't blame them.

they will end up like redding and oliver. if they are ready to be done with football, they should turn pro. i don't think they are ready. i'll concede hale has a better chance than redding and oliver, whose decisions to leave early were truly puzzling

they will end up like redding and oliver. if they are ready to be done with football, they should turn pro. i don't think they are ready. i'll concede hale has a better chance than redding and oliver, whose decisions to leave early were truly puzzling
I can see why you'd think that, but I think Hale and Westbrook are far better at their positions than Redding and Oliver were.

I don't mean to trash any players, but Redding just didn't have it as a pro - he really wasn't good enough to be a starter in the B1G. Oliver was pretty good, but again, not good enough for the NFL.

Hale and Westbrook, on the other hand, have the physical tools to make it. They just need to refine their game and play for a QB who can get the ball to them.

If they stay, I like our Offense next year, if we can throw their way more often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT